It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conficker virus begins to attack PCs: experts

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I don't know if this is a coincidence but last night the huge online gaming service "Steam" completely crashed out of nowhere which is very unusual. It's back up today but I thought it could be related.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Dutty_Rag

Your computer is always a target, as there is no way of knowing what is in there before it gets infected, virus infect all computers they can, then they start the real "work".

Some virus look for passwords and other access codes (even if the person has a secure access to bank accounts and does not have any password store on the computer, people generally use the same passwords for different things, so it's normal that an attacker tries all passwords on all "interesting" sites), but many of recent times' attacks are just to create large networks of computers connected between them without the owners knowing it.

These computers are then used to send spam and other type of massive work (like coordinated attacks on other computers). I read some time ago that a Russian crime organisation posted an announcement selling thousands of "zombie computers" to those that were willing to pay the most.

So we are not only helping ourselves by protecting our computers, we are also making it more difficult for other virus to spread.

PS: I never liked Norton, it uses too much computer resources and it's not much better (if it is better) than free alternatives, like AVG (the one I used for three years) or Avira, that I use now.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
Coincidence that this Computer Virus has been "activated" at the same time the Flu Virus was released in Mexico? Someone doesnt want people to have information spread across the internet and for the general public to solely rely upon the Media for up to date news

Haha, so true!

Add to that the recent buzz word, the new hype, the new enemy to focus-on: "Pirates. Ahoy matey

I wonder how this virus (the internet) could be... contracted. Email perhaps?
There is also an increase in spam it's all over the place now.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dutty_Rag
...Or should I uninstall it back onto the CD ROM and take it back for a refund? (How do I get it back on the CD ROM, I'm not sure if I have a CD Writer installed in my system?)

You can not put something "back on a CD" When you install from a CD it (more or less) creates a 'working copy' of the CD on your computer. (Ultra Layman, so computer savvys hush!)

Once your software is opened, chances are they will not accept a refund. Norton is a terrible antivirus (IMO), it will slow down your computer almost as much as spyware will. And uninstalling it, good luck. I have computers that are still infested with Norton/Symantec.

I use NOD now, it is super cheap and super awesome!

Final point, the kid 'rooked' you. You are stuck with software you did not need to buy, lesson learned. If anything, I would go back in there with an upset attitude. He took advantage of your lack-of-knowledge and it cost you cash.

Remember, you can not 'install back to the CD' because you never 'emptied' the CD. That is why piracy is so abundant, once you copy the CD you can pass it around to others. (Layman again, hush!)

EDIT--
Used the wrong "there" stupid English language, or more likely (stupid me)

[edit on 4/26/2009 by adigregorio]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Today I was on myspace and my computer froze up so I had to reboot.
When it came back on scandisk started running. It took almost 2 hrs for it to finish then Windows came back on and my computer seems ok.
I don't know if I have the virus in my computer or not.

What I would like to know is:
If I turn off my computer after each time I use it could that prevent the virus from getting in my computer?

I'm sorry but I don't know anything about this virus but it really sounds bad.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

Originally posted by maus80
reply to post by tristar

Ummm, noot he's not wrong, he was exactly right. I think you are a little confused maybe? Possibly you should read current news stories on this virus/trojan/backdoor/whatever. Reading comprehension is your friend!

In reference to which question or post ?

This one:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

He was correct, this was a trojan horse in the truest sense.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
No information about conflicker have showed up in the security mailing lists (Security Focus, ISN, etc). There has been a lot of news about conflicker spreading (to hospital equipment, government computers, etc) but no news of any new malicious activity.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Keep in mind, this worm CANNOT BE STOPPED.

As I stand in the rain, with my umbrella, I laugh at those scurrying around getting wet, cursing the sky and clouds..

It's that simple...

[edit on 26/4/2009 by badw0lf]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 308

AVG is free and has never let me down since I started using it.

Just a heads up: AVG has been going downhill lately. Recently a definitions update classified a crucial Windows process as a virus. A lot of computers were harmed. I use Avira, it's free as well and, in my opinion MUCH better than AVG. Also, for spyware/malware you might want to get Malwarebytes' Antimalware (free as well).

TA

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander the Great
What does this virus do exactly?

I probably have it; that info could help me

In a nut shell, well it gives complete control of your computer to who ever has injected you. All your passwords, messages, browsers, files, everything.

No, it doesn't.

All your browsers? What on EARTH does that even mean...

Come on... speak the truth, but don't big it up so that people freak out just to make it sound worse than it is.

My god...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
good-bye internet 1. hello internet 2.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Not so, it has successfully injected itself onto all known networks, however, this might be either through your mem chipset which after each restart it zeros itself out, but then it can feed itself information stating that its no longer able to scan so then the person /s re-visits your system, this obviously can be an automated process at any random time/day/date

Utter rubbish.

Sorry Tristar, but your scaremongering is absurd.

mem chipset, zeroing itself out only to feed itself info?

Is this skynet? Where is john connor when you need him..

Do you work for trend mr macfee?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Yep...Got a lot of # happening on my PC last week...Couldn't even do anything......But, i have a "unique" PC....I can delete everything on the HD an re partition it...then re install OS....these viruses can migrate to anything i noticed.....to usb external drives an all....nasty virus . the only way to infect me is a virus that resides in the bios...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I wish you had used the quote feature. I would have liked to see your reply to this post. But I won't pick apart this in order to.

I will assume you had no valid reply to a rather concise and structured logical post.

edit-- english is so hard to type yegods..

[edit on 26/4/2009 by badw0lf]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dutty_Rag

OK so can someone please clarify what's funny here?

Nortons is fairly much a joke in the virus protection world. And for good reason.

It's failed to do what most free (kaspersky, avg et al) do. It really is a poor application.

You didn't do anything bad... You just were suckered by a con man.

However saying that, all av software is unique. They all cater to a different situation. AVG is free, but imo nothing compared to kaspersky. Yet here I am using clam. Simply because I run a server OS not a home OS.

Anyhoo, you will still be infected with things using norton. It is not infallible. None are.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
luckily i been using linux for the last 9-10 years and never had one single type of virus or any other malware. its pretty suprising to me that big companies wont even begin to think about using linux or openbsd which is the most secure os in the world.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
In 90% of cases, getting a virus is due to bad decision making on the part of the person in control of the computer. Rather than what virus guard or operating system the user is running. Or even if you're running a virus guard at all. If you have a solid firewall and virus guard, and are paranoid in your browsing habits, you should be ok.

A general rule is to look at a URL before you click it. Hopefully I won't annoy anyone here, but if you can't speak Chinese or Russian, try not to visit Chinese or Russian websites, as those countries have a lot of savvy hackers.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Not so, it has successfully injected itself onto all known networks, however, this might be either through your mem chipset which after each restart it zeros itself out, but then it can feed itself information stating that its no longer able to scan so then the person /s re-visits your system, this obviously can be an automated process at any random time/day/date

Utter rubbish.

Sorry Tristar, but your scaremongering is absurd.

mem chipset, zeroing itself out only to feed itself info?

Is this skynet? Where is john connor when you need him..

Do you work for trend mr macfee?

About as crazy as a virus installed into a printer and then infecting
all the computers connected to it. (Iraq war, I think)

People will believe anything....

And with the internet the story just replicates itself everywhere so
it must true.

And the bizarre twist was, it was easier to convince people the story was
true than to convince people it was total Bull-Plop.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic_al

About as crazy as a virus installed into a printer and then infecting
all the computers connected to it. (Iraq war, I think)

People will believe anything....

And with the internet the story just replicates itself everywhere so
it must true.

And the bizarre twist was, it was easier to convince people the story was
true than to convince people it was total Bull-Plop.

I remember that one. But I recall it was 1998 when that was making people poopy.. Back then I even thought Wow thats a scary trick. Gosh..

It's insane really, I guess years of having to deal with clients who just don't know better, has jaded me too much..

I'm all for being aware and secure.. but you just cant say anything and have people waving their arms in a panic from it. That in my opinion is worse than making a virus. you get the panic without having to write the code.

*Whats that big metal craft in the sky, its the aliens I swear, they're hereee!!!! Oh its just a plane.. erps..*

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Every time a new virus, worm, or other malware comes out, we hear much the same thing. It's the worst one ever; it will wipe out your hard drive and drink all your beer; and it's UNSTOPPABLE!!!

Conficker is a rogue program. Nothing more, nothing less. I use the term, "rogue program" to include all malware, including viruses, worms, Trojans, adware, spyware, etc., etc. I use this term because it emphasizes a vitally important fact: it's a *program*. Someone wrote it. There is nothing mysterious about it. Someone wrote this thing to do what it does.

Conficker, like most rogue programs, affects Windows. Other operating systems, notably MacOS and Linux, are not affected. Microsoft has released a patch to thwart Conficker, and has provided a removal tool as well. Those who remove Conficker, then apply the patch to keep it out, are protected from it.

Unfortunately, many people, even some system administrators, don't take the trouble to apply patches. These people will continually suffer the effects of Conficker, as well as remaining a source of infection to other, unpatched computers. Right now there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of infected servers trying to infect others with malware that is essentially obsolete.

Fortunately, most servers run Linux, not Windows. They don't get infected, which means they provide an obstacle to the spread of Conficker.

The reason Conficker is such a serious problem (aside from the ease in which it propagated), is that it takes over infecteed computers and uses them to send out spam. It also can capture your keystrokes and send them elsewhere, thus giving criminals access to your user names and passwords. This would be a BAD THING.

Conficker is a serious cause for concern, and must be effectively dealt with - but it's not a reason for panic.

[edit on 4/26/2009 by chiron613]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join