It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meningitis outbreak reported in Miami

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Meningitis outbreak reported in Miami

www.upi.com

Dr. Vincent Conte of the Miami-Dade Health Department said that the victims were infected with an unusual and unusually virulent strain of the disease, W135. The Miami Herald reported. Only about 3 percent of meningitis cases around the world are caused by that strain of virus.

The pattern of the outbreak is puzzling, Conte said, because those infected with the disease are scattered around Dade County. He said that the cluster is the first in the United States involving the W135 strain.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
hisz.rsoe.hu... says 22 infected, 4 dead.

ATS is severely acting up for me right now. I have tried twice already to post this, and failed... dunno if it will work.

My comment on this news article:

Is this 'normal' ??

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

ATS is acting up on me too tonight, keeps freezing up or going all black screen. Anyway, the outbreak is not 'normal' at all, and I find the timing strange that this coincides with the swine flu outbreak.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

The article doesn't seem to make sense. It says that there is an apparent outbreak of meningitis this week. Then it says that patient zero was infected in December

It doesn't sound like a major outbreak if it consists of 16 people since december.

Then there is another one that says it's an epidemic ? From Budapest Hungary ???

I'm not sure, but i don't think it gualifies as an outbreak, or epidemic if the number of infected people is 20-22 with the first person becoming ill back in december. That's a four month time period, if the majority of the peole affected were affected within the past week then yeah it's cause for concern. They don't give enough information to be able to tell though. It's something to keep an eye on, that's for sure.

I really hope we're not being hit with a major outbreak of menengitis at the same time we've got this flu scare goin on.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   

I really hope we're not being hit with a major outbreak of menengitis at the same time we've got this flu scare goin on.

Would that really surprise any of us?!?!?? I, unfortunately, believe anything is possible - in the times we are living.. Seems like the world is just spinning faster & faster..........I refused to believe this is manufactured - just yet anyway. But deaths keep rising & now an UNUSUAL strain of meningitis??

Swine flu is the top of the news at 5am my time. Will continue to watch very closely!!

new topics

top topics

join