It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 77
<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

It was certainly plastered all over Toronto's news papers.

That google map of the flu outbreak is really eerie. Just a couple days ago there was only reports for lower North America.

Now it seems it's making it's way around the globe.

I have noticed a trend though, the cases of infection seem to be concentrated around Spanish descended nations, i.e Spain and Mexico.

I really hope this virus wasn't mixed together intentionally as someones sick dream of harming Latinos.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
what i don't get, is that if vaccines aren't protective, why are death rates in countries that employ them historically so much lower than in countries which don't?

and why is the incidence and severity of disease so much lower in vaccinated areas vs. non-vaccinated areas inside the same country or region (ie, same standard of living, only difference being exposure to the vaccine)?

vaccines and their history aren't perfect, far from it, and it's very difficult to develop a consistently effective vaccine for a constantly changing bug (like flu or HIV) . . . but the way i read it there is far more positive to negative when it comes to them.

i mean, c'mon . . . smallpox was flat out eradicated due to vaccines (we can debate the wisdom of maintaining 'research' smallpox stockpiles in another thread). polio nearly so. mumps, rubella, measles, whooping cough . . . are these things you honestly want to take a chance on your child developing? have you ever seen children die from this crap? it's awful, and needless. why?

because there are effective vaccines for them.

thank god.

flu is different, and you're never going to get a 100% effective vaccine for it. it's just too rapidly of an evolving virus. flu will always win. but we can mitigate the loss, and vaccines, even those with lower efficacy, help.

i don't get a flu shot most years because i'm young and healthy and take care of my immune system. but, if a bug ever looks to be a superbug, heck maybe even this swine flu next season, you better believe i'll be getting a flu shot. will it work? i dunno. but i'm willing to bank on the majority of history of vaccines and roll the dice.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneInDarkness
I still am disturbed by the over abundance of deaths in Mexico compared to the rest of the world... Regardless of Mexico's healthcare system there should be at least some deaths in the various countries where infections have been occuring...not saying that no deaths is a bad thing... just common sense. In the mean time, deadly or not this new strain is spreading like wild fire. I check the maps on google at various times and more and more markers fill the places... Not good at all..

This is what yahoo says.... for what it's worth..

Some of the difference may be due to the fact that Mexico has apparently been grappling with swine flu for weeks longer than the U.S. As doctors across the U.S. begin checking patients with respiratory symptoms for swine flu, CDC officials expect to see more severe cases in the U.S. as well - and as better epidemiological work is done in Mexico, we'll probably hear about more mild cases there too. Right now, however, the true severity of the H1N1 swine flu virus is still an open question, whose answer could change over time.

The 1918 Spanish flu pandemic began with a fairly mild wave of infections in the spring, but the virus returned a few months later in a far more virulent form. That could happen with the current swine flu as well. "It's quite possible for this virus to evolve," said Fukuda. "When viruses evolve, clearly they can become more dangerous to people."

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Telemetry here, reporting in from Idaho:
Swine Flu Ruled Out in Ada County Man

All is well so far in my neck of the woods, glad I don't have to don that M17A1 and MOPP after all!

________________________________________________.

On Mask Availability:

On the topic of masks and the N95 being sold out, here is FYI:
IF it does get truly nasty and your local box-retailer is all out of the N95's, check the paint and home-improvement section in Lowez/Homie Deepo, as they usually have a few buried pretty deep in there. In fact, most auto paint/body places will have a 2 pack of them for around 7 or 8 bucks also. Just noticed we had them today in the parts store, so do some scouting about before you think your area is sold out.

Oh, and don't buy the whole pile BTW... like he said.

I'll report back if anything naughty develops here.
Not time for the bunker-bed panic-sex just yet.

Stay safe all!
T-

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I just got a pack of two N95 respirators with the extra little piece on the front for comfort breathing.

They were $6 for a pack of two at home depot in the paint section. I also got N95 ones for my fiancees 4 yr old daughter, they're smaller and don't have the extra little piece on the front, but they're still N95.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I'll say two things.

First someone reported on another thread that Lou Dobbs talked about mexican army guarding the hospitals... which is quite worrysome... on the number of infected, which is probably MUCH higher than reported if they have to put army there.

And second... in a week exactly, there's the Cinco de Mayo... an important holiday in Mexico... that could spread the whole thing even more.. or maybe they'll postpone it or cancel it for this year... who knows.

The numbers I've seen:
Infected: Official: 2000+ Non-official: 10.000-100.000
Deaths: Official: 173 Non-official: 500-2000

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Container carrying swine flu virus explodes on Swiss train
Malaysia Sun
Tuesday 28th April, 2009 (IANS)

A container for transporting swine flu virus samples exploded on a Swiss train, authorities said Tuesday, but stressed that there was no danger to the public.

The container, which was filled with dry ice and carried samples of the H1N1 swine flu virus and was destined for Switzerland's national influenza centre in Geneva, exploded Monday night on board a train.

A laboratory employee had picked up the samples in Zurich to transport them by train to Geneva, but the package exploded near Fribourg and Lausanne, after melting dry ice, which had been wrongly placed, caused a build-up of pressure.

Two people suffered slight injuries, police confirmed, but authorities stressed there was no danger for the public as the virus was not the mutated strain which is suspected to have caused up to 149 deaths in Mexico.

The train was halted for several hours and the 61 passengers on board the affected carriage monitored until an infection could be completely ruled out, police said.

source

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
No time to go thru the whole thread tonight but here is an alert site. Sorry if it has been posted before....www.idemc.org...

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Exploded? SERIOUSLY? Yes totally NOTHING fishy there...

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

And second... in a week exactly, there's the Cinco de Mayo... an important holiday in Mexico... that could spread the whole thing even more.. or maybe they'll postpone it or cancel it for this year... who knows.

No one celebrates the 5 de Mayo in Mexico, it became more of a Hispanic holiday for Mexicans in the USA.
The big celebration in Mexico is on Sept. 15th.

Anyway, there will be a lot of Mexicans and crowds in celebrations of the 5 de Mayo in the USA. Let's hope it doesn't spread the flu more within this country.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Dry ice release loads of carbondioxide and over-pressure is absolutly a credible cause.

-Zyk

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Any linky for that Lou Dobbs thing?

On the Cinco De Mayo:
I was wondering that as well, as I have just been playing catchup since this began.

Supposing the Mexican .Gov dosen't ixnay the whole thing, this would be something for ATS here to look into, methinks. Does anyone recall the time for incubation/symptoms for this off the top of thier head? I would imagine that with the festivities and all, we would see a sharp uptick of those effected to be hospitalized within a certain timeframe.

T-

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Ahhhh... I've been way from ATS for a while, so when I heard the words "swine flu" plastered across the headlines, I immediately thought to check out ATS! Wow, took me forever to update my avatar.

But enough pontificating.

This is a media dream! More people worldwide have probably been killed in car accidents since the weekend than nasty flu bugs.

That's not to say it doesn't have the potential to turn into something meaner, but I'm just putting it out there.

It can take six months or more to know if a bug is going to turn into a pandemic.

It has everything the media loves to scare people with - take the WHO "alert levels" for instance. It just has to go from a "3" to a "4" and it's a news headline!

It's brilliant, just amazing.

Anyway, good to be back on ATS, this thread has heaps of great links.

I'll add another update - 45 people in Australia now being tested for the pesky pig bugs:

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
The old saying about not drinking the water in Mexico, Im not attempting to be stereotypical here, but isn't the Mexican society dirtier than those north of the border, and if they are wouldn't they be exposed to more bacteria and virus's than us?

Dirtier as in "they don't take showers or wash"? Or as in "the environment to which poor communities are exposed" ?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Shystargazer

now that is scary
i ticker with stats, and the totals for dead ! omg !
i wish the uk government would just say, ok keep safe dont go to work stay home and ride it out
will it happen ? i hope so

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by haika

The old saying about not drinking the water in Mexico, Im not attempting to be stereotypical here, but isn't the Mexican society dirtier than those north of the border, and if they are wouldn't they be exposed to more bacteria and virus's than us?

Dirtier as in "they don't take showers or wash"? Or as in "the environment to which poor communities are exposed" ?

As far as I know they keep very good self hygiene. I mean Environment, and general eating and sanitation habits. Im not being racist or anything, but I have trained a bunch [Hispanics] in American food service cleaning and sanitizing procedures.

Most cultures I have worked with were lacking in basic [or what we would call basic] food handling and sanitizing practices, basically they could prepare and eat something and be ok, but if you or me would eat it, well we would be spending some quality time on the throne.

In a nutshell I want to know if they are exposed to more bacteria or other microscopic bugs than us. If they are wouldn't that help their immune systems?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Some updated info..

USA 142 infected
Australia 2 infected
Brazil 1 in quaranteen
Canada 10 infected
Switzerland 5 infected
spain 4 infected...17 quaranteened
UK 23 infected
Ireland 4 infected
Israel 1 infected
S.Korea 1 infected
Mexico 1642 infected....152 dead
New Zealand 70 infected ? 11 quaranteened
Peru 1 infected
Taiwan 7 infected

The biggest jump overnight, (Im in scotland) has been in New Zealand.

The google map mentioned by others is not showing regular correct information.

This Information is from RSOE EDIS

link www.idemc.org...

Oh good morning everyone by the way

Respects

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

good morning captiva

im also in the uk
question..... on a scale of 1 - 10 10 being most how worried are you ?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by binkatonka

Im worried yes, but also have site of the fact that the only deaths have been in mexico. Im keeping a watch on figures for today. My biggest concern would be if there is a lock down. I know some organisations have already started initiating contingency plans for making sure people with dissabilities have food and much needed medication to cover 2 weeks.

Personally I feel this is a threat to our way of life and not so much to our health due to the 0 mortality rate outwith Mexico.

Keep calm, keep watch on here and be ready provision wise if the WHO up the warning level to 5.

Respects

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

In a nutshell I want to know if they are exposed to more bacteria or other microscopic bugs than us. If they are wouldn't that help their immune systems?

Well yes they are. In most places, you shouldn't drink the water and in Mexico City, they are exposed to very polluted air. Their lungs are over-exposed to harmful particles.

new topics

top topics

<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join