It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 61
<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
I picked up some info regarding the fact that some people can be carriers of viral infections, showing limited or mild signs, but when passed on to others after a specific length of time, .Those they infect have the full blown symptoms.

Yes I think there is a high probablility that this is happening. You can still carry a virus and transfer it while your body is fighting it off. Is that the people living in mexico city didn't have the right antibodies and immune system to fight it off.

link   

Im still working on my theory based on whether or not there was any flu/virul outbreak prior to March 1st in mexico. Any help would be appreciated.

I picked up some info regarding the fact that some people can be carriers of viral infections, showing limited or mild signs, but when passed on to others after a specific length of time, .Those they infect have the full blown symptoms.

Now wouldnt that be interesting and might be something to think about regarding how everyone outside of mexico is surviving yet showing some signs of this virus.

Anyone with more knowledge, feel free to shoot down my thinking, please.

Respects

If you find a place where we can obtain data about the confirmed cases, that would be awesome. We only hear about the number of case but THEY NEVER mention details about the victims. Man, women, age, previous vaccination pattern etc...

With only the number of case, we can't do much investigation. The crime scene is the victim but it is like we look elsewhere...

my 2 cents.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by 13Etznab]

Ex

link   
More than 1,300 people are suspected of having the swine flu in Mexico,
80 of whom have died.
Only 20 deaths, however, have been confirmed
as being from swine flu.
guadalajarareporter

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
If the outbreak is spreading so fast in Mexico, why isnt it in the other places there have been small outbreaks? There some kind of quarantine in effect?

[edit on 27-4-2009 by chr1z]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I'm in Mexico and we've been having trouble making calls out for a few days now. I think there so many people on the lines trying to contact family members that it's hard to get through. Keep trying, after a few tries we eventually get through. Hope everything's OK...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Okay. I written this to another thread too, but I copy this to here. So, we're speaking about "fast" and "deadly" flu.

Just in the U.S. 36000 people dies from flue every year, which makes 98 death per calendar day. So, I'm wondering why they ringed the alarm, when officially 170 poor mexican died and 1000 got the flu within few days? If we're following the upper scheme, 170 american could die within two calendar days from a standard flu and that's the average. So, what makes this flu to different and special in the eyes of the government and the media? If we do the math, this pandemic is "officially" quite slower then any of the standard flu.

I believe this is one of the proof that this H1N1 flu is quite greater then any of us could imagine and the death toll is quite greater then as any government admits.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by ShadowIntelligence]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by chr1z

Originally posted by chr1z
If the outbreak is spreading so fast in Mexico, why isnt it in the other places there have been small outbreaks? There some kind of quarantine in effect?

[edit on 27-4-2009 by chr1z]

they will try to quaratine people after they know they are ill. considering its already hit 5 states and other states are looking into it, this thing is out there.

the cdc has already stated early on that they will not be able to contain this thing.
give it a week and we will really know where the usa stands in reguards to the outbreak.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I think you have a point. It is something to consider is it not?

Second line

Yes kram, when I think about it people of the hawaiian islands were relatively free of communicable diseases, but almost wiped out by them, and young people although healthy, due to modern medicine and immunizations, really haven't had to build up their system.

OH my heads spinn'in

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by chr1z

1600 suspected to be infected isn't a lot in a country with millions.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Neaux

those are the known cases. an influenza expert was saying on cnn over the weekend the true count could be 10,000-100,000 people who have been infected.

most would have been mild cases and the people would have overcome the virus.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Im still working on my theory based on whether or not there was any flu/virul outbreak prior to March 1st in mexico. Any help would be appreciated.

Now wouldnt that be interesting and might be something to think about regarding how everyone outside of mexico is surviving yet showing some signs of this virus.

Anyone with more knowledge, feel free to shoot down my thinking, please.

Respects

Of course there were cases of swine flu before the outbreak, there are probably tons of them if you wish to find them (of course there are probably tons more of undocumented cases out in the sticks). The problem is the flu is a member of the orthmyxoviridae family, basically means it has an RNA genome. RNA viruses lack proof reading capabilities, so when their genomes are copied to create more viruses, errors are incoorperated into the genome randomly. Over time these random mutations add up, and can easily spawn a new virus strain.

In our case here with the swine flu in mexico, is something very similar, but require explanation of another characteristic of RNA viruses. They can basically swap out parts of their genomes, with other viruses (thats why you are seeing this is a three part virus really). This happens all the time naturally.

These RNA viruses change so rapidly (basically with every replication cycle) there are no clear classes or strains. They operate in what is called quasispecies (just like the name sounds). So when you hear H1N1 (which is not a new virus) but hear this is a new strain, thats what they are pertaining to. The H1N1 (which represents the type of surface antigens on the virus) strain is actually comprised of probably thousands of quasispecies, each unique to their own environment, geographic location and host range.

I could go on about this for hours, you can research yourself. I will U2U with people to provide as many answers as I can, feel free to look at my past posts.

CREDS: Microbiologist/ Molecular Biologist: Battelle Memorial Institute.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Neaux

I written the same. Somehow even if I do every math, I really want to know what the truth is behind this pandemic, because the official numbers are not giving the reason to do those measures what the governments are doing.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

Ya I have to agree with you I bet a lot don't have the resources to go see a doctor it is a poor country

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowIntelligence
Okay. I written this to another thread too, but I copy this to here. So, we're speaking about "fast" and "deadly" flu.

Just in the U.S. 36000 people dies from flue every year, which makes 98 death per calendar day. So, I'm wondering why they ringed the alarm, when officially 170 poor mexican died and 1000 got the flu within few days? If we're following the upper scheme, 170 american could die within two calendar days from a standard flu and that's the average. So, what makes this flu to different and special in the eyes of the government and the media? If we do the math, this pandemic is "officially" quite slower then any of the standard flu.

I believe this is one of the proof that this H1N1 flu is quite greater then any of us could imagine and the death toll is quite greater then as any government admits.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by ShadowIntelligence]

as said in another post. The issue is that it attacks people of a different age. The data you report is about mostly children or old people that dies for that flu cause of other reasons connected to the weakness of their immunitary system.

This flu instead attack a different target of poeple. Eventually that numbers (36.000) should be tought as alot times more for effects on children and old people i think. Or as other say, it can also make no difference as it is a new virus and then nobody is protected from it.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

North Carolina

Suspected Cases Of Swine Flu Found In North Carolina

Raleigh, NC -- State health officials say there are suspected cases of swine flu in North Carolina, but investigators declined to say how many cases or where they were located.

Dr. Jeffrey Engel, the state health director, said Monday evening that officials are involuntarily isolating patients who may have the virus. But he said the handful of cases are sporadic and in different parts of the state.

Investigators are gathering specimens and hope to know whether the cases are "probable" some time Tuesday and will seek confirmations by Wednesday.

involuntary isolation????

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by retroviralsounds

I thank you for your support, it is greatly appreciated. What I am trying to do is have some options as to why this virus is not killing outside of Mexico.

Is it based on a 1st/2nd/3rd generation contact increase in virulence and affects or are there carriers in the first generation, hense people outwith mexico are getting it lighter but may on passing on, give someone the real deal.

Again appreciated

Respects

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I just heard from a source, there are 3 cases here in Wisconsin.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex

Reports are changing.

Breaking it to you gently...

Mexico says swine flu deaths now at 149

www.usatoday.com...

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico canceled school nationwide Monday as authorities warned that the swine flu death toll is likely to go up and the World Health Organization signaled that the chances of a full-blown pandemic are rising.
Mexican authorities believe as many as 149 people have died from the outbreak.

Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova said 20 of the deaths have been confirmed to be from swine flu and the government was awaiting results on the others.

"We are the most critical moment of the epidemic. The number of cases will keep rising so we have to reinforce preventive measures," Cordova said at a news conference that was briefly shaken by an earthquake centered in southern Mexico.

Surreal?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by chr1z

not just a poor country , mexico city has 20 million people .

they just werent prepared for something like this like the usa will be.

we learned a few lessons after the anthrax outbreak after 9/11.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
There are 11 confirmed cases of swine flu in California according to the state Dept of Health

top topics

<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join