It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 490
<< 487  488  489    491  492  493 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Yours truly has swine flu

[edit on 25-7-2009 by infinite]

Very sorry to hear that, infinite. Would it be too much to ask if you could let us know the severity of your case, and how it unfolds in you? Are you having any respiratory issues like shortness of breath, etc..or just "mild" flu symptoms..

Only if you are strong enough and willing, will I wish a response.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

It feels like my skin is burning, difficult to breathe. Struggling to catch my breathe. Fever gives the sensitisation that skin is literally being heated up. Muscles are so weak, that I cannot leave my bed and its painful to type.

I've had mild flu. This is worse. Doctors may hopsitalise me if my condition gets any worse.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

OMG! That's horrible. Take some vitamins, drink some green tea, and get as much fluid in you as possible. Rest is essential, as you should already know....

Please check out my thread here on information about high-dose vit-c for flu (virus, secondary infections, and preventing the cytokine storm)

Ascorbic Acid

My gosh, this is just terrible. Trying not to ask anymore questions, so you don't have to respond. I'll be sending healing energy your way, friend.

Vitamin C - Boosts the immune system and is an antiviral by blocking the enzyme neuraminadase. Viruses need neuraminadase to reproduce. There are anecdotal stories of people taking large amounts of Vitamin C (children ½) surviving the Spanish Flu. Research shows that it may reduce the production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. A study on 470 people involved giving the test group 1000 mg hourly for 6 hours and then 1000 mg 3 times daily after reporting flu symptoms. Symptoms decreased by 85%. (Pubmed PMID 10543583, 634178, 16169205, 12876306)

vit-c

[edit on 25-7-2009 by unityemissions]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

So sorry to hear that infin8; have you any skin rashes?

Get better soon and ride out the next couple of days. Have you tried a hot bath? A friend who had it said it helped a bit.

Just in case, here's a home-made saline solution, but i won't advocate self medication:

Oral saline is an important drink. It saves life from diarrhoea or cholera. Making oral saline is not very hard. Everyone must know this method. First, take one liter of water. Next, take just one handful of sugar and drop it into this cool water. You can also use molass in place of sugar. After that, add one pinch of salt of three fingers to this water. Finally, stir the water well with a clean spoon until the sugar and salt are fully dissolved. This is saline water.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Its not such a Mild flu when you have it.

Hope you get better soon.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
In British Columbia,

The Ministry of Health Services, on July 21, 2009, posted the following NEWS release

PROPOSED CHANGES ALLOW PHARMACISTS TO GIVE INJECTIONS

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This does not give me a sense of relief-

news.yahoo.com...

They set up protocols to throw them out the window for the greater good.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by winotka

Here's the reason for the fast track:

A global mortality rate of 0.68%. A South American mortality rate of 3.6%.

Approximate population of Europe: 740 million.

0.68% of 740,000,000 = 5,032,000 dead.

3.6% of 740,000,000 = 26,640,000 dead.

They can do simple math, and they're scared. They'll do anything to try to bring those numbers down.

ecdc.europa.eu...

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Notices Infinite has nit beenin yet today. I do hope he is slowly revcovering. Im thinking of you Infinite hun. You make sure you make it through this and come back alot better oks. Wil keep an eye on this thread for any updates on Infinite ty.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I heard off google news the UK govt are buying lots of body bags, and inflatable morturies which they say are going to be put up in carparks. Im kinda getting worried.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
reply to post by winotka

They can do simple math, and they're scared. They'll do anything to try to bring those numbers down.

ecdc.europa.eu...

This is wrong.
CHECK YOUR NUMBERS!

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by gusan

What part is wrong?

I'lll admit I didn't factor in a lower morbidity rate, but the percentages for mortality rates are based on published data: go check for yourself, I gave the link. I'm using the South American hot zone data for the 3.6% number, those places (the majority of the continent) with a mortality rate in excess of 0.7% just to get a feel for the potential range. Some places like Argentina and Paraguay have rates, based on published data, in excess of 4% and 5%. I don't think for a second that it's actually that deadly, but I know it's far deadlier than the old flu.

So, accounting for a 40% morbidity rate (far too conservative, imho):

0.68% mortality = 2,012,800 dead

3.6% mortality = 10,656,000 dead

That's soooo much better, what a relief!!

I repeat, they can do simple math, and they're scared. I might add, rightfully so.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

reply to post by gusan

What part is wrong?

I'lll admit I didn't factor in a lower morbidity rate, but the percentages for mortality rates are based on published data: go check for yourself, I gave the link. I'm using the South American hot zone data for the 3.6% number, those places (the majority of the continent) with a mortality rate in excess of 0.7% just to get a feel for the potential range. Some places like Argentina and Paraguay have rates, based on published data, in excess of 4% and 5%. I don't think for a second that it's actually that deadly, but I know it's far deadlier than the old flu.

So, accounting for a 40% morbidity rate (far too conservative, imho):

0.68% mortality = 2,012,800 dead

3.6% mortality = 10,656,000 dead

That's soooo much better, what a relief!!

I repeat, they can do simple math, and they're scared. I might add, rightfully so.

Man, the mortality numbers are a percent from the contaminated ones, not the total population.
South America has a population of almost 400 000 000 people, as for today "only" 20 000 people are confirmed contaminated, and from those ones like 2 % are fatal cases..
ecdc.europa.eu...

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I believe the problem is not in actual numbers, the problem is what is to be expected when swine flu mutates. Thats why i have MMS and colloidal silver in case..and i (and my family) have the posibility to get away from populated areas for at least 1 year if i need to...and i do have tamiflu also. :-) Cant do so much more.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
At this point I really don't know how anyone can make any sense of the published numbers. The ECDC numbers for Britain show 11,159 confirmed yet the number of probably 100,000 cases is being banded about.

Their latest document says

On July 24th the United States Centers for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) announced that they will no longer report the number of confirmed and probable cases of Novel H1N1 influenza because they recognized that these numbers now represent only a small proportion of the true number of cases. From next week CDC will report the total number of hospitalization and deaths each week, and continue to use its traditional surveillance systems to track the progress of the novel H1N1 flu outbreak.

Link

So basically we're only going to hear about serious cases and deaths from today which might actually help determine better numbers on how deadly this flu really is. If those numbers keep increasing rapidly then I'll start to get very concerned but if the number of hospitalised patients and deaths stays relatively low then I'll be reassured. At the moment I'm still on the fence and have no idea who or what to believe.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Breathing has started returning to normal, pains in the chest and rash are apparently due to the Tamiflu - so I've been prescribed 6 - 8 paracetamol a day. Fever has started to ease.

Still significantly weak, my poor immune system made the Swine Flu quite serious. Doctors believe I should be allowed out of isolation on Thursday.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

The only problem with only getting hospitilisation and death figures is that you have no way of working out infection and mortality rates ie are 1% getting infected and 50%of them dying or is it 10% infection and 5% dying either way the number of deaths is the same.

Way to go MSM and the PTB, confuse us all with meaningless data and withold the relevant data.

IMHO stock up on food just in case, you can always eat it anyway - of course I would suggest you are stocked up anyway because you can NOT be overprepared.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

ecdc.europa.eu...

I know you are trying to give good information, but these figures are very misleading. Only a small proportion of those contracting swine flu are being diagnosed and listed, only the very worst cases. The percentage of these diagnosed cases dying means nothing, when our governments have not been able to check most cases.

In my state, Victoria, Australia, we seem to be the hardest hit out of the whole world, going by rate of infection. Nearly everyone is getting the flu,and it's no longer tested, because they found 99% of all flu cases here are swine flu. So we're all getting it. My family and I got horribly sick, and it keeps coming back. Just one of us didn't, and he is outside working in the sun each day. It seems vitamin D has a lot to do with folks not getting sick with the flu much in summer.

Anyway, despite it being really nasty, few Victorians use anything much to treat it, and no-one here is dying of it. - Well, I'd bet it's killed a few oldies, and I came close, getting bad pneumonia and nasty other effects, but we're not hearing of any deaths. I'd expect this to only have a slightly higher death rate than the usual flus.

- Of course what happens if a worse flu spreads is anyone's guess. I'm only talking about what we have now.

[edit on 27/7/09 by Kailassa]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
A very detailed and more accurate portray of swine flu:

flutracker.rhizalabs.com/

This map and the data behind it were compiled by Dr. Henry Niman, a biomedical researcher in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, using technology provided by Rhiza Labs and Google. The map is compiled using data from official sources, news reports and user-contributions and updated multiple times per day.

He does not give an official world wide total, but it is obvious from the data it is much higher than what the WHO is reporting.

The comment section is update literally ever minute now with reports across the world. Good source of information, since we lost twitter.

[he does give a world total]

Suspected Cases (8,884) Confirmed Cases (217,263) Fatal Cases (1,342)

[edit on 28-7-2009 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Swine flu outbreak dashboard

Very detailed and accurate.

So far, 0.7% Mortality per case. 24.22 cases per million (globally) and 0.17 deaths per million (globally)

To put this in perspective, seasonal flu mortality per case is 0.05%. With an average of 340 million – 1 billion cases per year. With 500,000 fatal cases.

Lets assume the normal average case is the same as swine flu, using the current mortality rate, projected fatalities:

(of course, it is difficult to give an accurate global prediction, but I am just comparing seasonal flu to swine flu)

top topics

<< 487  488  489    491  492  493 >>

join