It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 49
<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Wall St slides on flu anxiety

NEW YORK, April 27 (Reuters) - U.S. stocks fell, sending the S&P 500 down more than 1 percent on Monday, as investors fretted about the likely impact of a swine flu outbreak.

Link to Artice

Edit: Link was not working correctly.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by lucentenigma]

link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
No there isn't "something very 9/11 about this" at all.

I just meant in a similar way to stories that first emerged and then you don't hear about them again...I.E. the "explosives" "bomb" stories surrounding 9/11
Not that this is an attack by a government on citizens or anything like that.

I should have made my point clearer

[edit on 27/4/09 by blupblup]

link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

Originally posted by Aeons

As there have been no fatalities outside of Mexico, it seems that the majority of those deaths were due to failed treatment or late diagnosis. Is that what everyone else is thinking?

Obviously this can be successfully treated, and as there have been no deaths beyond Mexico, it's either due to poor or late treatment, or sheer numbers of those infected in Mexico.

It could be that this flu quickly mutates into less lethal form very quickly once outside the original epicenter.

Is it possible for the swine flu to mutate with the bird flu? If this is the case we are in serious trouble.

It already is a mixture of the avian flu, a human flu and a swine flu.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoHopeForSome
I think the genuine issue is that people in the UK are not taking it that serious. I was talking to lots of people at work and they had no idea what kind of threat were were under and how easy it will be for an outbreak here if we don't use a bit of common sense.

It's almost as if people are totally divorced from reality sometimes. I live in Leeds, and even I'm now tempted to wear a face mask. Better safe than sorry and all that jazz.

I agree with you. I am from the UK too and nobody gives two hoots really. Its pretty much the case with anything in this country unless it affects them on an individual basis in their homes or something, then they don't care.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Anyone else having a Katrina moment, when the PTB were on tv telling us all was good and how good a job everyone was doing, Obama says to be concerned but not alarmed but then calls out the military?

Fema camps, and coffins, you would think they knew this was coming.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Sorry, I was probably being a bit defensive too. Getting fed up of people coming into a "news and updates" thread and linking this to bizarre and stupid conspiracies. As if there aren't enough of those threads going already

My bad.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

MSNBC : WHO to have press conference in 30 minutes

Also the governator is addressing the public right now.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

As there have been no fatalities outside of Mexico, it seems that the majority of those deaths were due to failed treatment or late diagnosis. Is that what everyone else is thinking?

Obviously this can be successfully treated, and as there have been no deaths beyond Mexico, it's either due to poor or late treatment, or sheer numbers of those infected in Mexico.

It could be that this flu quickly mutates into less lethal form very quickly once outside the original epicenter.

Yeah, there was also mention of body temperature being a factor for this virus. I suppose in a warmer climate it would be easier for a virus to increase body temperature to a higher level in order for it to be fully dangerous.

Maybe that's something they'll focus on later, in which case warmer countries should be more cautious than others with a mild climate.

Entirely possible I'd venture.

Which is why it might be successive waves if this does go pandemic. The first wave doesn't kill in the milder climates, but continues to evolve and eventually does mutate to loving a slightly lower temperature. Then the second wave starts.

We'll see. Most viruses just become less lethal. This one has a very short incubation period which to me says that it is still mutating very fast. I'd like to know how long one is shedding the virus.

link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

That's a good point. It is kinda like when George was watching Katrina happen like a made for TV movie. (Thank You Lewis Black
)

"Damn!, I didn't know it was on tonight! Look at those special effects, and all those extras!"

Anyway, back to the topic. This is usually how a government deals with any problem they don't know very much about or aren't very prepared to deal with.

They will tell us everything is fine, until it gets so bad the MSM starts to criticize the governments response, and then we get an apology and the director of FEMA resigns.

More arm flailing and less work. The government as usual.

~Keeper

link   
I am thinking more along the lines of the day the earth stood still...as in it could be happening right now.

Keep seeing snippets everywhere of air traffic ceasing, borders patrolled by the WHO,
coincidental and controlling earthquakes in Mexico, school closures, flu-like symptoms popping up all over the planet and organized governmental meetings.

This globe is a-spinning.

Hmmmmmm...

Peace...

link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Here, I think you're looking for this thread Conspiracy thread, not "News" thread

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

is this when they are going to say wether or not theyre going to raise the alert level to 4 or 5?

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

I somehow doubt that. The government is saying please don't panic and if the WHO raise it from 4 to 5, that means panic.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

reply to post by blupblup

Sorry, I was probably being a bit defensive too. Getting fed up of people coming into a "news and updates" thread and linking this to bizarre and stupid conspiracies. As if there aren't enough of those threads going already

My bad.

That's cool....I've been battling scaremongering and BS theories about this all day, so i know what you mean.

Some guy on a thread had a message about the swine flu that was channeled??

I mean WTF?? Seriously...

here ya go

It starts two posts above mine!!!!!

Originally posted by blupblup

There is 2 posts of it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Add that to all the other BS coming out....and yeah, i understand your frustration.

No worries

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by observer

OK so the CDC director (acting) said the virus was ACTING like a flu virus.... does this mean there is some speculation among health professionals that this is something OTHER THAN a flu virus? Like what? I must admit this is a highly disturbing sentence to my mind.
Obs out.

this is something to take into consideration..As the TPTB will be cross the T's and dotting the I's to cover ther asses for any backlash,like so many have done sinc 911...
To me if they say it acts like a flu doesnt me it is just a flu..

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
3 more suspected cases in andalucia, spain...

(if this has been said already, oops)

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
If there is confirmation in Latin America, it will go to six by the end of the week.

Level 6 means a large human-to-human infection across three continents

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

The Spanish situation is bad. Infection rate is spreading rapidly across all provinces in Spain. Nearly all provinces are reporting outbreaks.

link   
now i am beginning to get worried

link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
reply to post by lucentenigma

is this when they are going to say wether or not theyre going to raise the alert level to 4 or 5?

they raise it to 4 when you start to see wide spread communities starting to have sustained transmission from human-to-human outside of the original area.

So, people who've haven't been to Mexico (the original infection area noted) start coming down with the flu over varied regions. This that the original flu has jumped from the original resevoirs (A) into a travelling resevoir(B), and then jumps again to a new resevoir(C) in a new area with no connection between A and C (D, E, F...) that is discernable. The virus as gone communal - it is in the community.

top topics

<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join