It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 48
<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
UK has been "planning/preparing" for a flu Pandemic for five years.

We (UK) have 33million individual vials of vaccine...enough to treat half the population.

Live on Sky news now.

UK and France are the 2 best prepared countries in the world.. According to the W.H.O.

Affected areas

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 27/4/09 by blupblup]

GREAT!

Now, if only the vaccine you had was for THIS flu you'd be set.

Too bad the vaccine for this flu is still being created and won't exist for another three weeks.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
As there have been no fatalities outside of Mexico, it seems that the majority of those deaths were due to failed treatment or late diagnosis. Is that what everyone else is thinking?

Obviously this can be successfully treated, and as there have been no deaths beyond Mexico, it's either due to poor or late treatment, or sheer numbers of those infected in Mexico.

It could be that this flu quickly mutates into less lethal form very quickly once outside the original epicenter.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

As there have been no fatalities outside of Mexico, it seems that the majority of those deaths were due to failed treatment or late diagnosis. Is that what everyone else is thinking?

Obviously this can be successfully treated, and as there have been no deaths beyond Mexico, it's either due to poor or late treatment, or sheer numbers of those infected in Mexico.

It could be that this flu quickly mutates into less lethal form very quickly once outside the original epicenter.

Is it possible for the swine flu to mutate with the bird flu? If this is the case we are in serious trouble.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
news.sky.com... /200904415270304?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15270304_Mexico_Earthquake%3A_Mexico_City_Is_Rocked_By_Earthquake_Sending_Office_Worker s_Spilling_Onto_Streets

"I'm scared," she said. "We Mexicans are not used to living with so much fear, but all that is happening - the economic crisis, the illnesses and now this - it feels like the Apocalypse."

Great, now somebody has said the 'A' word the ball will really get rolling on that one.

Anyway, back on topic. Has there been any news about the 10 in Nottingham. The google map seems to have missed them off and I can't find any news on them other then the original post on them?

[edit on 27-4-2009 by NoHopeForSome]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Yeah, there was also mention of body temperature being a factor for this virus. I suppose in a warmer climate it would be easier for a virus to increase body temperature to a higher level in order for it to be fully dangerous.

Maybe that's something they'll focus on later, in which case warmer countries should be more cautious than others with a mild climate.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NoHopeForSome

There you go

AS many as 10 people in the East Midlands are being tested for swine flu as fears rise about the global spread of the disease.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Nottingham News

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

N.Y. mayor says swine flu cases may rise above 100
www.alertnet.org...

NEW YORK, April 27 (Reuters) - New York City has 45 confirmed or likely cases of swine flu and that number is likely to rise as testing of more than 100 sick students continued, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said on Monday.

The outbreak of swine flu appeared to be contained to one high school in the borough of Queens, he said.

"We believe that there are probably more than 100 cases of swine flu at the school and lab tests are confirming what we have suspected," Bloomberg told a news conference.
More at Link...

CDC says virus spreading person to person
www.alertnet.org...

WASHINGTON, April 27 (Reuters) - The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Monday some people who have had contact with confirmed cases of the new swine flu also are developing flu-like symptoms.

The CDC's acting director Dr. Richard Besser said in a conference call, "We are seeing rates of respiratory infections among contacts. This virus is acting like a flu virus and flu viruses spread from person to person."

[edit on 4/27/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
# Officials: 3 more children with swine flu symptoms after another suspected case prompted a Fair Oaks, California school to close.4 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
10 in Nottingham?blimey its spreading fast-soon there will be a google map of people who havnt got the flu

Its a worry that doctors and nurses seem to be getting it,hopefully our strain over here will be weaker like the American ones so far

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
two possible cases in czech republic

both people have just returned from mexico and are showing flu-like symptoms. they have been hospitalized in Prague and are being tested, but the doctors are saying that they just got a cold while walking on a beach or something and the chance of them being infected with swine flu are minimal.
test results should be known tomorrow.

edit: looks like its up to 3 suspects in czech

[edit on 27/4/2009 by ranswer]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I think the genuine issue is that people in the UK are not taking it that serious. I was talking to lots of people at work and they had no idea what kind of threat were were under and how easy it will be for an outbreak here if we don't use a bit of common sense.

It's almost as if people are totally divorced from reality sometimes. I live in Leeds, and even I'm now tempted to wear a face mask. Better safe than sorry and all that jazz.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

N.Y. mayor says swine flu cases may rise above 100

The CDC's acting director Dr. Richard Besser said in a conference call, "We are seeing rates of respiratory infections among contacts. This virus is acting like a flu virus and flu viruses spread from person to person."

[edit on 4/27/2009 by Hx3_1963]

OK so the CDC director (acting) said the virus was ACTING like a flu virus.... does this mean there is some speculation among health professionals that this is something OTHER THAN a flu virus? Like what? I must admit this is a highly disturbing sentence to my mind.
Obs out.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by observer

I was hearing on the news this morning (in the UK) that it was mixing with another virus in Mexico and this is why people were dying there... they were talking about it on Tv and radio.... and now and for the last few hours....I've heard nothing about about the other "virus"

Strange.....

Something very "9/11" about all this.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
theyre discussing wether or not they should restrict air travel on cnn....

and news sources covering the swine flu has topped 5,000

[edit on 27-4-2009 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by observer

I was hearing on the news this morning (in the UK) that it was mixing with another virus in Mexico and this is why people were dying there... they were talking about it on Tv and radio.... and now and for the last few hours....I've heard nothing about about the other "virus"

Strange.....

Something very "9/11" about all this.

No there isn't "something very 9/11 about this" at all.

They probably died due to secondary infections, Pneumonia is a common condition resulting from the failed or delayed treatment of a viral infection. There is every likely chance that these people died because they didn't receive the right treatment in time and then developed Pneumonia as a result.

It's not a second virus, it's a secondary infection/condition related to failed or delayed treatment.

link   
Everyone should look this! NOW!

Fear is real, "911" - and now "134-Attack"?

link   
reply to post by NoHopeForSome

Exactly the same thing here in Holland. On the news there was a guy who is going to mexico, friends told him not to go, but still he went, said he is going to enjoy the sun. People think this will blow over, and maybe that will be the case. But you never can be too cautious with this sort of thing.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman

and news sources covering the swine flu has topped 5,000

To and from other countries? I have a trip coming up from AZ to NY and back...hope they don't.

link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Too late now. Millions have travelled to Mexico in the last three weeks since the virus broke out. No point fixing the stable doors when the horses have vacated

link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman

That the first thing they should have done. If 103 people dying from a currently incurable illness isn't enough to stop you flying to Mexico, you clearly need somebody to step in and point you to the closest funny farm.

top topics

<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join