It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 456
<< 453  454  455    457  458  459 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
This story was posted earlier, but I was thinking about it this morning. If SF cases are sometimes considered mild even with hospitalization (w/o a ventilator) then why aren't insurance companies LIVID? Why are they paying for hospitalization of mild flu cases?? If I were an insurance carrier, I would refuse payment for hospitalizing someone with a MILD case of the flu! This is all just so silly. I cannot believe the PTB think we are THIS stupid!

QUOTE: "Todd Leach, a spokesperson for William Osler, confirmed one patient with flu-like symptoms had been hospitalized there.

He said admission to the intensive care unit may not have been necessary but was done "to be extra vigilant and to ensure the patient responded to treatment."

Leach said the case was characterized as "mild" because the patient did not require ventilation to assist with breathing.

Gale, however, said from his perspective the illness he endured was anything but mild.

"That's crazy,'' he said of the hospital's characterization."
www.healthzone.ca...

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Serious cases of H1N1 infections in canada:
LINK

A 1-year-old child has been hospitalized in Toronto after contracting swine flu, which aggravated an existing lung problem, according to a source. The child is in stable condition at the Hospital for Sick Children, with a flare-up of a pre-existing respiratory condition triggered by the H1N1 virus. In the past week, the child was admitted, discharged and then readmitted.
Earlier in the week, an 8-year-old was hospitalized at Sick Kids after the virus exacerbated an underlying condition, according to the source. That child has since been discharged.
At Toronto Western, a 60-year-old man with congestive heart failure and H1N1 is on life support, his condition deteriorating.

Is this the same man whose death was announced today? From The Star

The provincial health ministry is revealing few details about the cases, but a source has said the 60-year-old Toronto man is on life support. He has been in Toronto Western Hospital for more than a week.

I think it's another person because this one has been at the hospital for more than a week and is 60 years old, while the one that has just died is 50 years old and was at home.
I could't find anything else about the 60 years old man, only this article from The Star, from May 21. Does anyone have any info about that?

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
WHO working on a severity scale to accompany pandemic alert phases

The word "mild" is somewhat loaded. That is the issue here. What the person on the street thinks mild means is different than the medical terminology. It is an emotionally loaded word. Which is probably the point - to convey one message while still presenting real information that isn't as obvious.

Consider that there is also Mild Brain Injury and Mild Cognitive Impairment.

Mild in this way means "not severe."

[edit on 2009/5/25 by Aeons]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
it gets quite boring and distracting defending myself against multiple attacks because i am simply not a follower so ill do something so many of you are failing to do.

ill add something to this thread

qctimes.com...

The most recent statistics show that Iowa has tested 1,248 cases for the possibility of swine flu and that 73 were confirmed as the H1N1 virus. None of those have required hospitalization

so out of 1,248 people tested in iowa only 73 have come back positive. ill also add that zero people have been hospitalized and zero people have died.
currently you have a 0% chance of dying if you live in iowa and you come down with the swine flu.

There have been 896 confirmed cases in Illinois, concentrated around the Chicago area, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health

900 confirmed cases in illinois and zero people have died.

[edit on 25-5-2009 by elitegamer23]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

If they are doing nasal or rapid tests, they prove out to have false negatives a significant amount of the time. That means that the confirmed cases are more than what is being reported. Maybe as signficantly as half the time.

Deaths attributable directly to this flu may not show up for another couple of weeks. Deaths attibutable to this flu knocking your immune system out and you picking up something else, like pneumonia, will only be obvious in retrospect.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Thanks to all for the great info. Here is something on topic for us to examine.

I take a historic view of why we should be concerned with our current flu. Some in recent posts have chosen to dismiss this flu as "mild" and it is troubling. History tells a story that we will repeat if we select to ignore the events unfolding.

Please consider that the Spanish Flu struck the world in three waves. The first came in the spring 1918. It's range was believed to be limited to select parts of the U.S. and Europe and the death rate for those infected was relatively low. It was in autumn 1918 that a second, globe- spanning and much more virulent wave came. Then in the winter of 1918/19 a final wave was as deadly as the second but less widespread.

The concern;
1. The Spanish flu was "mild" in the same months we are now.
2. We have jumped far ahead in the spreading of the virus.
3. The Spanish flu was the third deadliest pandemic in history.

Simple facts.

And now for something to arch your brow.

Durring the Spanish flu. There were only 20 bank failures recorded, 1918 had the fewest failures of the nine-year period examined. Additionally, the total amount of liabilities of the banks that failed in 1918 ($5,131,887) is not even half as much as any other single year from 1914 to 1922.

In 2009 we have all this banking trouble, and it was strange that it took so long for the "stress test results." But suddenly they arrived as the flu exploded. Strange coincidences, no?

I'm not suggesting that somebody with a lot of money would look to the history of banking failures and realize that a pandemic would be the best result to mitigate losses. That is one unbelievable coincidence.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
And here is a source that will arch the other brow.

Flu and finance

By the end of 1918, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 10.5 percent for the year and continued its upward climb, experiencing a 30 percent post-war rally in early 1919.15 The Dow also reached its high for 1918 in mid-October, when the pandemic was at its peak. Furthermore, trading volume on the NYSE showed an upward trend during the height of the epidemic. Cooper and Grinder offer three primary reasons why the market was not affected. They suggest press censorship kept investors from knowing the extent of the epidemic, news about the war overwhelmed influenza news, and government officials downplayed the severity of the disease to the public. The lack of immediate public awareness to the pandemic's severity and the impact of World War I are two factors that may have diminished the effects of the pandemic on the financial markets.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Absum!

Star 4 U!

That's some nice digging there...

Pretty big coincidence no?

Hmmm...
Mexico Government Launches MXN1.2 Billion Campaign To Promote Tourism
www.nasdaq.com... aign-to-promote-tourism

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Absum!

Correct. That is definately something we should pay attention to. It is the one way that this could go. Following the pattern of the 1918 Flu.

Descend into the winter of the Southern Hemisphere, percolate and come back bad for the winter.

The OTHER possibility is that it is the 1951 flu. Which is the flu that 1/3 of people over 50 seem to have been exposed to that has given that age group some resistance to this flu. "Cross Reactive Immunity."

The 1951 flu hit Canada and England the worst. Liverpool took it pretty hard. It was milder in other locations. Then it petered out.

There are two possible scenarios for this flu to follow.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Star for you my friend. Great find. I had to explain to a friend, yes it may go to level 6, but that only means the spread of the virus not how deadly it is. The new scale would do wonders to keep the hype and politics out of reporting.

All on topic should read the link. Thanks!

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
From The Washington Post...

"Swine Flu Lessons
Gaps were exposed in pandemic preparedness."...

www.washingtonpost.com...

"Though quarantining of the sick wasn't necessary, the current outbreak also reminded officials that clarity of authority, deemed a concern during avian flu pandemic planning in 2005, is still needed. The federal government has the power to quarantine at the border and between states."

(is that a preview of what they're planning to do in the fall... close borders between states? first I've heard this)

"The administration's ability to strike a delicate balance between preparing for the worst while keeping the public informed is a hallmark of the current response and should guide it if a more dangerous flu virus roars back this winter."

(...O.K., so this fall we're probably going to have the worst and they will keep us informed... so they will control the media as now?)

Interpretation... something wicked this way comes in the autumn months of '09 here in the USA... everyone should prepare for a lockdown state-by-state... blockades on interstates, military rule... 90 days of survival supplies in your home may get you over the deadliest timeframe but that is just the prevailing wisdom out there... 90 days shelter-in-place at a minimum.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by switching yard

Agreed. How about this?

If this is a mild flu, nothing to worry about.

Why would the US government spend a billion dollars on a remedy for a mild flu? Why didn't we spend that on last years flu?

One can say it is to steal our money through redirection. Maybe.
Or this virus is mounting to a landslide that we can't afford to shoulder.

Choose according to your belief and trust in the federal government.

Things would be much clearer for you if you stopped thinking and listened more closely to what I ment to say.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
Good news skeptics and fellow disinfo agents here on this thread........Things are in the works..........thats right........good news for you!!

Shortly this whole thread will be yours to continue and update keeping those who seek the truth under your shell..........

For those who do seek the truth...........just stay posted you will not be left behind........

Good bye thread.....

OUT!

[edit on 25-5-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

Thanks a lot for the update. I don't want to be left behind! I would be lost without the info contained in this thread.

Thanks a lot for the heads up!!!

[edit on 5/25/2009 by pcgeek]

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
ATTENTION:
We've received several complaints about person attacks in this thread. Any personal attacks from this point onwards will be removed with a point penalty. Repeat offenders will be post banned for a minimum of 3 days.

This thread is an ATS Big-Thread with 9116 replies, and subject to more strict moderation.
Please stay focused. Stay on-topic. Minimal or off-topic posts and T&C violations are subject deletion and/or a warning.

Let's try and keep it civilized.
Thanks you.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Absum!

Originally posted by Absum!

Originally posted by Aeons

Star for you my friend. Great find. I had to explain to a friend, yes it may go to level 6, but that only means the spread of the virus not how deadly it is. The new scale would do wonders to keep the hype and politics out of reporting.

All on topic should read the link. Thanks!

its funny how the WHO didnt already have a severity scale before the swine flu surfaced. especially after the avian and sars scare earlier this decade.

posted on May, 25 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This whole area of study and bureaucracy on this level, with a significantly large educated populace to ask questions globally, is a very new occurance.

You don't know what you don't know until you're in it up to your eyeballs sometimes.

new topics

top topics

<< 453  454  455    457  458  459 >>

join