It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 445
<< 442  443  444    446  447  448 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
UK swine flu toll is really 30,000, says leading scientist...

[QUOTE]Thirty thousand people in Britain are likely to have been already infected by swine flu, one of the country's leading authorities has told The Independent on Sunday. This would mean that the virus is 300 times more widespread than the Health Protection Agency (HPA) admits.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]"The numbers in Britain are not really telling the story," added Professor Michael Osterholm, one of the world's top flu experts and an adviser to the US government. He called the official figures "meaningless" and said that, [B]while the authorities were not hiding cases, they were not hunting very hard for H1N1[/B].[/QUOTE]

.... whats the difference? Not testing people is to hide the actual numbers!

[QUOTE]The spread of H1N1 in Japan, after the Americas, would normally have been enough to justify the WHO declaring a pandemic, under criteria established in April this year. But Britain, Japan and other countries last week persuaded it not to do so, in order to prevent panic, border closures and disruption to trade.[/QUOTE]

Japan does take it more serious than the rest of us. This week I was in Bangkok airport and pretty much all Japanese were wearing masks.

In dependent UK

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by winotka
reply to post by ecoparity

Anxiety? Is it because the body is stressed?

My allergies do make me a little edgy, especially when I start having a sneezing fit.

I'm not sure what the cause of it would be. Probably more of a blood sugar abnormality from the bodies immune response. I've noticed I get really shaky in the mornings if I don't eat something. Your body gets a real workout from fighting off an infection and I can see the fight with this flu being more intensive than most illnesses (of course).

The next time you start to feel anxious try and eat something, some soup would probably be best. A few crackers or bread with some type of fat on them (butter, margarine, olive oil) will convert into insulin quickly, same with honey in tea or on bread or even just from a teaspoon.

I started giving my oldest colloidal silver immediately when she started feeling sick and she feels better (by bedtime). She has no symptoms at all at this point but we'll see how things go overnight. I'm going to be up all night watching over them, glad I have lots of Tea for the Tassimo.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Watchman

Skeptics make me think and with everything that's happening in the world the one thing I want to keep on doing is thinking. Thanks NW

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
so I have upped my C and D (which I had upped somewhat because of bone issues) but I am unfamiliar with colloidal silver - what exactly do you do with it? I have seen bottles of it at the health food store etc but never knew how to use it...

btw - on the obese thing - personally - I think that is just another thing they are putting out as an underlying condition because it will cover more people and they are running out of ideas of what to blame it on -
Exactly..they have to keep blaming the deaths on something. Well said justme .

Find a source on your search engine for the colloidal silver that shows/teaches you how to make your own. Ir's really easy, and a lot cheaper than buying from a store. just don't drink too much...you'll turn blue.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Sorry that I don't have hard evidence to report. Just some subjective observations of the last few days.

I'm in Dallas, Tx. For the last few weeks, I haven't really seen anyone sick. The last few days, I've noticed people sneezing, coughing and complaining of allergies.

One woman at a bar I frequent complained of an upper respiratory infection. She said it couldn't be swine flu because she didn't have a fever. I let her in, that this flu doesn't cause a fever in most cases. She was shocked and concerned.

At least I got through to one person. Well, at least for the moment. I doubt she'll take any precautions until (if) it gets bad enough to go to the hospital.

All in all, people are quite unaware of the true spread/numbers in my area. Quite oblivious to this all.

I'm just washing my hands obsessively and not going out much at all. That and staying on top of information, thanks to the incredible ATS'ers!!

Thanks guys, you're info is much appreciated

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
People shouldn't be too surprised if they aren't seeing loads of sick people. Even if Dr Niman's estimate of 1 to 10 million infected is accurate that's still a drop in the bucket population wise.

The concern I have is that with a number that large the pool of infected will continue growing at an astonishing rate, especially in the atmosphere the CDC and WHO have created. We have to face the fact that most people are not taking precautions and with the majority of the population moving about freely the infected who are shedding but have no symptoms will be everywhere.

Epidemics move around in waves via connected people. It's entirely possible for thousands of people in your city to be infected and still not one of them would be someone close enough to tell you or for you to hear about. Given enough time that will most likely change.

All we can do is hope the virus really is hitting most people with a mild experience. We can also hope the virus will begin to mutate itself out of the ability to continue spreading. At this point it looks as though the virus has an unusually long period of stability in the sense, be it luck or by design.

I think people miss the point of why most of the researchers and people who've paid attention are so concerned about this virus. Granted it doesn't seem to be killing people in mass numbers but it doesn't have to be in order to be a serious threat.

1. The virus is already on track to kill more people than seasonal flu by a factor of at least 4X.

2. The victims will be predominantly young and healthy. Children will make up the highest group victimized with the median age at this point being 19.

3. The virus is wildly unpredictable and will create a devastating effect on the livelihoods of the victims who end up with the long time line variant. They could be sick and missing work for months. With the public perception of "mild flu" these victims will lose their jobs or work themselves into the hospital or even death.

4. This virus has an extremely high potential to mutate into a form much deadlier than the 1918 flu and could do so in as little as 2 months from now.

5. The obfuscation of the crisis leaves us with little doubt there will be no action taken fast enough to protect the public even in the scenario of a super-lethality future wave. We were not prepared for this out of season "mild flu", does anyone really think the various governments and public heath organizations will do better when it's time for the real thing?

6. People have been encouraged to ignore the threat and will take the next one even less seriously. Every simulation shows us that the expected response will result in a literal worst case scenario. Society will disintegrate and even the people who are smart enough to prepare will find protecting themselves to be a huge challenge thanks to the attitude and SOP of the general population.

We should have taken this crisis as a wake up call and began massive preparations immediately. It's already too late to get ready on a national or international scale.

I don't want to scare people, I really don't. I want to encourage you all to hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I can't even begin to describe how badly things could have turned out and still might in the near term. Unfortunately the worst case scenario is a matter of time. We will face an epidemic that will make this one look like a community rash. It's only a question of how long we have to get ready now.

Our only hope on a large scale is to speak up and hold people accountable for the failures and for the lies. So far we have no stadium full of abandoned victims to shame the government into action. I hope we can find a way to accomplish the changes we need without it.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Could an over use of Tamiflu, go the same way as an over use of antibiotics, as in the virus could mutate and become resistent to such anti-viral drugs?

Edit: Sorry Eco, just saw your posts after that one and it answered my question...I'm playing catch up

[edit on 24-5-2009 by skitzspiricy]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Sorry that I don't have hard evidence to report. Just some subjective observations of the last few days.

I'm in Dallas, Tx. For the last few weeks, I haven't really seen anyone sick. The last few days, I've noticed people sneezing, coughing and complaining of allergies.

One woman at a bar I frequent complained of an upper respiratory infection. She said it couldn't be swine flu because she didn't have a fever. I let her in, that this flu doesn't cause a fever in most cases. She was shocked and concerned.

At least I got through to one person. Well, at least for the moment. I doubt she'll take any precautions until (if) it gets bad enough to go to the hospital.

All in all, people are quite unaware of the true spread/numbers in my area. Quite oblivious to this all.

I'm just washing my hands obsessively and not going out much at all. That and staying on top of information, thanks to the incredible ATS'ers!!

Thanks guys, you're info is much appreciated

In the weeks to come we will start to hear from a massive number of people complaining they have been sick with "allergies, colds, upper respiratory infections and so on" for "weeks or a month". Of course they won't know or believe they have the long time line variant of H1N1 and they'll shuffle on, miserable and shedding the virus as they are re-infected.

It's the possibility of lethal mutation in these victims that worries me the most. Staying infected with a roller coaster viral load for that long creates all kinds of opportunities for the virus to recombine and possibly activate the avian flu RNA. It's not even their fault, however. The CDC is making absolutely zero attempt to notify anyone about this variant or even the full scope of symptoms possible in this virus.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy

Could an over use of Tamiflu, go the same way as an over use of antibiotics, as in the virus could mutate and become resistent to such anti-viral drugs?

That would be more likely to result from improper use of Tamiflu as opposed to over-use. People who stop taking it too early and do not fully recover from the virus will be the ones who form resistant mutations.

I think that is part of the reason the CDC guidelines have them not testing and sending people home without anti-virals now. I think they've made a decision to sacrifice people now in order to be able to better fight the more lethal future wave they expect.

If they restrict the use of Tamiflu they may preserve the ability to use it against the more deadly mutation. Also, by allowing the virus to spread widely now they may gain some natural immunity from the future variant due to a large number of previous infected who survive and the "herd immunity" that will result.

In theory, anyway.

Government doesn't usually make black and white decisions. They usually make the best they feel is present out of a set of bad choices. I can even understand that to some extent but there is also an element of protecting the same elite in the choices they've made which I find hard to condone.

[edit on 24-5-2009 by ecoparity]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   

I am rather confused about this entire situations and I have a few questions, hope they are not out of line:

1. What would be the correct usage of a drug like tamiflu, then? The regular does is 5x2, which would be included in one package. I would just follow the guidelines and take all of it, i.e. 2 per day for 5 days until the package is empty as soon as symptoms occur. So, if the virus has not been beaten by then, this dosage would lead to the probability of the virus getting resistance to tamiflu? What is the correct way to take this drug? Drugs are not good if you don't know what to do with them.

2. People and many preparedness-websites say that it is important to be able to restrict yourself for about three months in your home. So, buy supplies, food, water etc. for three months. Is the current form worth putting oneself in quarantine? Or would it have to be a more deadly strain that would justify this action? Wouldn't it be wise to catch it now so we can get antibodies that would help us against later mutations? I have read somewhere (don't remember the source, sorry) that in 1918 the people who were sick in the first wave had immunity from the second and third one. We can't let a disease ruin our lives. It's also a question of the way we see ourselves in this world. So, the question is: As soon as this current strain hits the town - should one go to lockdown? Or wait for a more deadly strain for doing so?

3. What would be the actual course of action in such a case? What I mean is, three months are a good time frame, but what then? After that, one would need to restock supplies. Should one just quarantine oneself until the entire crisis is over? Wouldn't that mean that one would just lose a year or two? This is rather undoable for most of us, we would lose our jobs, our place at university etc.. So, what is meant when people say "be prepared". What is it that we should actually do? That is not clear to me. Another problem is, what good is it when you are prepared to go to lockdown when you are not told that there are cases in your city? Lockdown seems to be an all-or-nothing thing. Either you avoid infection throughout the entire crisis or you have to cope with the disease somehow. I guess what I mean is, what good are three months worth of lockdown when you will have to leave your home after that anyway?

Many Greetings

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Thank you for your explanation

Sorry, when i said over-use i did actually mean improper (i have brain drain)

I was refering to the UK cases of health officials giving out courses of Tamiflu to all students in a school where one is infected as a preventative measure. It seems this has happened in a few of the reported schools in the UK.

I think that's a bit worrying as in the case of antibiotics, a lot of people stop taking them short of the course because they either don't come down with anything, are getting mild reactions from the drug or just simply forget.

It's slightly worrying that maybe 50% of 300+ students could possibly not take the drug properly and leave them suseptable to a more dangerous mutated strain. (i'm theorising here)

It's surprising how uneducated some poeple are when it comes to taking certain medications.

I know of 3 people, who have young families that save their last few antibitoic tablets, just incase anything else comes up, like a mild cold for instance and there is no telling them any different.

My question is really, do you think that UK health officials maybe being a bit over zealous in handing out Tamiflu? Could they essentially end up doing more harm then good?

EDIT: Forgot to put something in

[edit on 24-5-2009 by skitzspiricy]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

As a side note to your putting the puzzle pieces together...

I posted a story, SOMEWHERE in these 2 threads, about a Wisconsin farm guy who *might of* started it by slaughtering a infected pig that was sharing a barn with a infected chicken???

This was in 1997-98???

Another dis-info-intel??? Who knows...just thought I'd mention that angle, as you mentioned the China farm boy angle...

Things get missed/passed by pretty quick on fast posting days...

[edit on 5/24/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadowmantn
I was told by a medical professional who has treated eight confirmed cases of H1N1 that they all had mild tachycardia.

I get irregular heart beats often. While I've been sick I can't say that the number of mine have increased or not. Just before symptoms showed, I was getting then more frequently and stronger for 3 or 4 days. That could be during an incubation period ....

Originally posted by irishchic

The WHO is poised to declare a full pandemic of the virus,

My note to the WHO ..... we've been hearing this same old song for weeks. You guys missed the boat a few months back. You aren't doing your jobs.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Medical n ews Today

SINOVAC ... from China ... getting ready to mass produce the Swine Flu vaccine. Oh isn't that lovely? :shk: China - who brought us killer pet food and toxic childrens toys are going to vaccinate us all ....

RUN FOR THE HILLS!

[edit on 5/24/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Citycruiser

I am rather confused about this entire situations and I have a few questions, hope they are not out of line:

1. What would be the correct usage of a drug like tamiflu, then? The regular does is 5x2, which would be included in one package. I would just follow the guidelines and take all of it, i.e. 2 per day for 5 days until the package is empty as soon as symptoms occur. So, if the virus has not been beaten by then, this dosage would lead to the probability of the virus getting resistance to tamiflu? What is the correct way to take this drug? Drugs are not good if you don't know what to do with them.

Many Greetings

The 5 day schedule of Tamiflu is optimal. It needs to be at an effective load level in the patient during the first 2-3 days of infection while the flu is still not at a high load level in order to function correctly.

It's critical to take the entire prescribed schedule in order to avoid creating a resistant strain of the flu.

I'm not aware of any benefit to taking it longer than that, if the flu is still at a high load level after 5 days the Tamiflu already missed the opportunity to act, so to speak.

It can also be taken as a preventative but it is not effective for very long after finishing a 5 day course, (maybe another 3 days max of protection).

Tamiflu is not a drug you want to take for longer periods on an ongoing basis. It has nasty side effects and can cause some pretty severe brain chemistry changes (temporary).

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Medical n ews Today

SINOVAC ... from China ... getting ready to mass produce the Swine Flu vaccine. Oh isn't that lovely? :shk: China - who brought us killer pet food and toxic childrens toys are going to vaccinate us all ....

RUN FOR THE HILLS!

[edit on 5/24/2009 by FlyersFan]

Mass produced Swine Flu Vaccine from China?

Man! Maybe! if things are developing to be much more serious, I could think about taking the vaccine from GlaxoSmithKline that our EU country and Goverment has bought options in.

But to take something from China, I guess you have to send the whole flu shot and have it analysed somewhere, before even thinking about taking it!

I hate myself for saying things like this about China! but!... I wouldn't trust that vaccine and it wouldn't feel comfortable to take it.

But that's not only about China!

I wouldn't feel comfortable with taking anything from Baxter either!

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Citycruiser

2. People and many preparedness-websites say that it is important to be able to restrict yourself for about three months in your home. So, buy supplies, food, water etc. for three months. Is the current form worth putting oneself in quarantine? Or would it have to be a more deadly strain that would justify this action? Wouldn't it be wise to catch it now so we can get antibodies that would help us against later mutations? I have read somewhere (don't remember the source, sorry) that in 1918 the people who were sick in the first wave had immunity from the second and third one. We can't let a disease ruin our lives. It's also a question of the way we see ourselves in this world. So, the question is: As soon as this current strain hits the town - should one go to lockdown? Or wait for a more deadly strain for doing so?

3. What would be the actual course of action in such a case? What I mean is, three months are a good time frame, but what then? After that, one would need to restock supplies. Should one just quarantine oneself until the entire crisis is over? Wouldn't that mean that one would just lose a year or two? This is rather undoable for most of us, we would lose our jobs, our place at university etc.. So, what is meant when people say "be prepared". What is it that we should actually do? That is not clear to me. Another problem is, what good is it when you are prepared to go to lockdown when you are not told that there are cases in your city? Lockdown seems to be an all-or-nothing thing. Either you avoid infection throughout the entire crisis or you have to cope with the disease somehow. I guess what I mean is, what good are three months worth of lockdown when you will have to leave your home after that anyway?

Many Greetings

I'm not "snapping" at you and please don't take my tone as negative in this reply.

In all honesty the time for asking these questions is not when the virus is outside your door and the people to ask would be your elected representatives and public health officials.

Part of being prepared for life, job loss, natural disaster and pandemic means you should have 6 months of living requirements for yourself / your family which includes enough money to cover the bills without income. Believe me, I've been dead broke and lived paycheck to paycheck - it's not impossible for anyone to save 6 months worth of expenses and hopefully this "warning epidemic" will serve as motivation to people that it's time to get with it.

I have a year or more of everything my family needs to live including money and the means to protect them from the people who didn't prepare should society break down. I hope I never need to use any of it but "hope for the best and plan for the worst" is not paranoia or fear mongering where I come from. It's just good, old fashioned common sense.

Google for "pandemic preparation" / "bird flu preparation" to find forums dedicated to educating people on how to prepare and what to prepare with for pandemic. You'll find it's a natural extension of being prepared for hurricanes, tornados, civil disorder and even loss of employment.

I refuse to be in line with my neighbors waiting for FEMA welfare to feed my children and pay my bills / provision us a trailer. If I can help some neighbors avoid that line I'll be glad to do that as well. I'm hoping to move somewhere in the near future where we won't have to deal with other people's foolishness.

There's a saying I like now, (I hated it back when I was on the other side of it).

Lack of planning on your part does not equal an emergency on mine

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I think I know how this flu works. As I mentioned before, i got into a heated debate last week with my sister about my "obsession" over this flu when she came to visit me along with my brother, and since then they have both been sick. My brother called me two days after when we were both not feeling well, and I found out from my mother that my sister got sick too, but she didn't want to tell me. (She didn't want to give me the satisfaction.)

Since then I no longer have flu symptoms, but I have something much more worrisome. I have this weird condition where I cannot sleep lying flat without experiencing numbness in my limbs and lips after a few hours. In order for me to get a decent sleep, I have to sleep propped up with pillows so that I am slightly upright.

Also, I am feeling a little bit of sensation in the left side of my chest. It makes me believe it is coming from my lungs, and I am very worried about this. I am thinking that my lungs may slowly be filling with "something" and that's why I am getting the tingly feeling in my lips when I sleep lying flat (lack of oxygen) .

Please, I really need to know if anyone else has these symptoms. I feel fine except for this one thing, but I believe that whatever it is can snowball quickly to something unmanageable.

Keep in mind that I am from Manhattan, and Swine Flu is wide-spread in NYC, though no one wants to admit this.

Thanks in advance.

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
I think I know how this flu works. As I mentioned before, i got into a heated debate last week with my sister about my "obsession" over this flu when she came to visit me along with my brother, and since then they have both been sick. My brother called me two days after when we were both not feeling well, and I found out from my mother that my sister got sick too, but she didn't want to tell me. (She didn't want to give me the satisfaction.)

Since then I no longer have flu symptoms, but I have something much more worrisome. I have this weird condition where I cannot sleep lying flat without experiencing numbness in my limbs and lips after a few hours. In order for me to get a decent sleep, I have to sleep propped up with pillows so that I am slightly upright.

Also, I am feeling a little bit of sensation in the left side of my chest. It makes me believe it is coming from my lungs, and I am very worried about this. I am thinking that my lungs may slowly be filling with "something" and that's why I am getting the tingly feeling in my lips when I sleep lying flat (lack of oxygen) .

Please, I really need to know if anyone else has these symptoms. I feel fine except for this one thing, but I believe that whatever it is can snowball quickly to something unmanageable.

Keep in mind that I am from Manhattan, and Swine Flu is wide-spread in NYC, though no one wants to admit this.

Thanks in advance.

You need to get a chest x-ray done ASAP. A lot of flu victims have developed secondary pneumonia in the form of "walking" and / or "antibiotic resistant" strains. If you catch it soon you'll take some meds and be fine but if you wait it can be nasty.**

**(I do not give medical advice, any advice should be considered personal and on a "concerned friend" basis. It's impossible to diagnose anyone without a physical examination and testing)

posted on May, 24 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
After my mom died in 1974 from being given the wrong med (epinephrine) for her symptoms (racing heartbeat and high anxiety), the doctor told us she died from 'a massive viral infection' (she had the flu). Then we learned from the autopsy that she had a benign tumor on her adrenal gland, which was the underlying condition which caused the symptoms. That background just to say that maybe the reason people are having the same symptoms is that the virus is doing something to their adrenal glands?

new topics

top topics

<< 442  443  444    446  447  448 >>

join