It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 441
<< 438  439  440    442  443  444 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

If Coffees got anything to do with this NAU Flu I'm set

I must drink 3 Gallons a day
:shk:

S Korea confirms sixth A/H1N1 influenza case #swineflu #h1n12 minutes ago from web

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

Those who follow the thread for what its meant for do not mind
at all.Wether its info from the selfless efforts of the main posters or from
a novice like me.Its helpful to all.

With the different time zones and how quick pages can move on its good
that the information is still being put out to be read.
Keep it up.

[edit on 23/5/09 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
May 23 (Bloomberg) -- Japanese schools started to reopen as concern swine flu may spread nationwide eased, prompting the government to leave local authorities in charge of dealing with outbreaks of the virus.

Hyogo Prefecture’s Kobe, the city famous for its marbled beef, on May 16 had the first confirmed case of the H1N1 virus in someone who hadn’t traveled abroad. The prefecture’s entire school system, including many day-care facilities, was shut as a result. Hyogo reopened facilities as of today, while neighboring Osaka Prefecture announced it will resume classes on May 25.

“It is true that these measures have provided a certain level of effectiveness for preventing the spread,” Toshizo Ido, governor of Hyogo, said in a letter yesterday. “However, they also have had adverse effects on citizens’ social lives.” www.bloomberg.com...

Methods to control the virus have had an adverse effect's on citizens' social lives? Ummmm...... Does not the flu itself have an adverse effect? I recently read an interview with a man in his 40's from North Dakota who had the swine flu. He stated he was grateful that it was not cancer, BUT he was at home sick FOR 7 DAYS. Is not 7 days a disruption on one's social life? I personally cannot recall when, as an adult, I have been home sick for a full 7 days. Child yes, but not as an adult.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
My apologies if this has been posted already:

Isolation and genetic characterization of avian-like H1N1 and novel ressortant H1N2 influenza viruses from pigs in China.

As pigs are susceptible to both human and avian influenza viruses, they have been proposed to be intermediate hosts or mixing vessels for the generation of pandemic influenza viruses through reassortment or adaptation to the mammalian host. In this study, we reported avian-like H1N1 and novel ressortant H1N2 influenza viruses from pigs in China. Homology and phylogenetic analyses showed that the H1N1 virus (A/swine/Zhejiang/1/07) was closely to avian-like H1N1 viruses and seemed to be derived from the European swine H1N1 viruses, which was for the first time reported in China; and the two H1N2 viruses (A/swine/Shanghai/1/07 and A/swine/Guangxi/ 13/06) were novel ressortant H1N2 influenza viruses containing genes from the classical swine (HA, NP, M and NS), human (NA and PB1) and avian (PB2 and PA) lineages, which indicted that the reassortment among human, avian, and swine influenza viruses had taken place in pigs in China and resulted in the generation of new viruses. The isolation of avian-like H1N1 influenza virus originated from the European swine H1N1 viruses, especially the emergence of two novel ressortant H1N2 influenza viruses provides further evidence that pigs serve as intermediate hosts or "mixing vessels", and swine influenza virus surveillance in China should be given a high priority.

PMID: 19460353 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19460353?dopt=Abstract

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I have been following this thread from the start and would also like to say a big thanks to all the people here working hard to keep us updated, especially those that have been able to get hold of 'inside info' that is not out in public domain as yet. I think a thread like this in a forum that is visited from people around the world is important...even if it is just to let each other know what is happening in your corner of the world, it gives us all a better picture overall!

I hope those of you who are unwell at the moment recover quickly.
Myself, I have been unwell since last saturday when i came down with a flu like illness-sneezing, bad cold,cough, slight fever and body aches. I am now recovering but still have cough,slight cold and muscle weakness...as in when i walk about my legs feel like jelly. I am not someone who goes to the doctor for such an illness but did look up what I should do because of the possibility of swine flu..but here in UK you are told not to go to doctors and it is only if you have been to infected countries yourself in last 7 days or been in contact with someone who has come back in last 7 days that you need to inform your doctor. This seems to assume that this virus is still very limited in its spread and not out in the community yet. Seeing how quickly it is spreading I doubt that this is true anymore. My 3 children went to california with their dad for the Easter hols and flew back on 21st april just as this was all hitting the media. So that was 3 weeks before i became ill. Could they have picked it up and it has quietly circulated not showing symptoms until I got it? Anyway, it just makes me think it could be all over the country by now but if they are not randomly testing people with flu like illnesses we will not know this.....maybe they don't want to know this?

I am not saying I think i have swine flu it could be another type of flu or virus and I seem to be recovering ok....but my concern is...firstly I have a mother who is diabetic and if I had been able to confirm one way or another I would know if she is at greater risk and also...I am concerned if it is swine flu that it could come back in couple weeks as some people have indicated is the pattern of this virus.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Update of U.S Hillsborough N.C. health care worker case.

UNC health care worker latest OC case

Hillsborough, N.C. — A UNC Health Care staff member, who was later confirmed to have the H1N1 virus, came in contact with patients and staff at the University Pediatrics at Highgate clinic in Durham this week, UNC Medical Center officials said.

L.A times online article.

Vaccine looks likely

An analysis of more than 50 strains of the H1N1 influenza virus at the center of the global outbreak has concluded that they are closely related and can be fought with a single vaccine. "We see much less variation among these new H1N1 viruses than we do for typical seasonal influenza viruses," said Nancy Cox, senior author of a study released Friday by the journal Science. That will make the job of creating a pandemic flu vaccine "much, much easier," she said.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
eco - hope you come back soon and that you are feeling better too - I wasn't on when all the flack was going on - but I have to say I have made use of the ignore button for the first time ever in this thread - Personally I am here for information and while I don't always agree with people who have differing opinions - those who offer any information won't get ignored but the ones who get upset and heated just because people here aren't agreeing with their opinions that the MSM is giving them the right numbers etc are making my fingers twitch.

I'm not in a panic about the flu. With the tourist season starting this weekend I won't be surprised if there are cases popping up here within a week because the majority of people who will come here will be coming from areas that have many cases of the flu - but I have done some pro-active things - like making sure I have extra things in my pantry and some extra bottles of water (which are on sale anyway) and that we have cold and flu meds on hand along with any being sure that any scripts that people take are full -- much like I do before hurricane season gets into full gear. If you are prepared ahead of time for the things you can prepare for - there is no need to panic. If anything happens I don't have to go out to be exposed - if nothing happens I have less shopping to do for a while - if it isn't used now it will be used when a hurricane hits

But personally I don't think we are getting the right numbers from anyone - the media, the officials etc. -- when they aren't testing people who come in with flu symptoms you aren't getting complete numbers there - when they are blaming deaths on underlying conditions you aren't getting the correct numbers of deaths caused by this flu (or any other) - going along with that premise you could say that every single person on earth dies of heart attacks because their heart stops when they die - oh sure they had cancer -- but it was the heart stopping that killed them so it wasn't the cancer that killed them so cancer isn't a serious disease - just using that as an example.... In other words you can skew numbers to fit whatever scenario you want them to show. So don't just think because it is in the news or some official type of person says something it is right -

Finally if you come into a thread (this thread or any other one on ATS) that is based on gathering information or whatever- and you present your opinion and it isn't as well received as you would like don't get in a huff - and do the "well not allowed here unless you agree with everyone" thing - realize that thread may not be for you - if it is something you feel strongly about start a new thread presenting your ideas - Not bashing any other threads - just presenting your ideas and others will join you -

As I said I am here for information like many others I am sure - that means I will read both sides of most anything as long as it is presented in a calm manner - does it mean I will agree with everyone - of course not - and I will gravitate to the thread that has more of what I am looking for -

So if you don't agree with what is presented here - go start a new thread with your information - I'm sure I will check it out along with a bunch of other folks - ATS has room for all opinions - I think the only request they make is that people are civil while presenting their opinions and ideas.

And I hope no one feels I am pointing fingers at them in particular - I'm not - this is something that has been stewing in me for a long time over a lot of threads all over ATS where this type of thing is happening - this was just what prompted me to finally write this.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Australia defends anti-flu measures

Australia Saturday defended its escalation of swine flu protection measures as global health chiefs said a vaccine could be ready as early as June and worldwide cases continued to rise.

A vaccine ready by June?
Not a time scale I thought was possible to get done by.
Wasnt a vaccine for global use meant to be in 5/6 months from now?
Any vaccine made availible will not be on my agenda for getting anyhow.

AFP - Health chiefs warn against 'sneaky' flu virus

"This is a subtle, sneaky virus, it does not announce its presence or arrival in a new country with sudden explosion of patients seeking medical care or requiring hospitalisation," said Margaret Chan, head of the World Health Organisation (WHO).

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by gallifreyan medic

Wheels turning in my head: if as they "say",they just aren't sure of the what,how,when,and why related to this "flu virus",than what in the HELL are they "vaccinating" against???

Seriously,there have been several years recently where a regular flu-vaccine has been issued and then it's been "Oops...it's not as effective as we thought it would be" after people got it/became sick (myself included but trust me,won't happen again.

I simply fail to see based on the current testing and evidence how a vaccine that would "benefit" this strain in question could even remotely be ready that soon...they don't have enough to work with!!!

Pharma companies will love it though and be prepared for a "degree" of threat/panic-inducing MSM to begin slightly prior to the release of the magical needle of joy...

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
From Dallas Morning News...

Irving, Texas mom tells of 'ordeal'... 5-year-old son's swine flu infection...

www.dallasnews.com...

"But when I got him home that day, he was just lying on his bed in a little ball. It really scared me."

At hospital... "Mother and son were whisked into an isolation room as soon as the staff confirmed the possibility of flu."

"It was kind of like that scene in ET, the movie, where the room is all covered in plastic and stuff," Flores recalled. "It took an hour and a half to figure out it was influenza. That's when they sent us home real fast."

"The family also got specific instructions on how to avoid getting infected by Izak. Mainly they were told to put him in a room and not share dishes, silverware or towels with him. Each had to wear a surgical mask when near him.

Izak was instructed to use a separate bathroom, but the family's two-bedroom apartment had only one."

###

Article goes on to say that the child recovered after mom spent $500 out-of-pocket on Tamiflu.

---------

MSNBC...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

"The confirmed cases don’t represent anywhere near the full scope of the outbreak: For every reported case of swine flu, there may be 20 people sickened with it, said CDC’s Dr. Anne Schuchat — more than 100,000 people in the U.S."

My guess is that at least a million Americans are infected, probably more.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Current estimate of number of infected in US is 1 to 10 million. Current estimate of infected in Mexico is "higher". - Dr Henry Niman

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

If they do come out with a vaccine in june then it can only be a re-vamped
one that is already availible.

And the worry there is what did they do with it and what effects could
there be from it?
Since it would not have gone through the usual testing,the risks I would say are huge.

My taking of vaccines ended when I was still young and I have had no more
illness than those who still have them.So any forth coming vaccine will NOT be
going into my body.

But for those who will have it,well I dont wish to think of what could occur (Hopefully nothing does) but it does make me sad,angry and many other
feelings about this situation.

Glad to see you post eco.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
First of all to Eco, Clouds and other insiders who have taken the time to share information with the rest of us, thank you.

As I have stated often, and a scan of my posts here on ATS will confirm this, I am a skeptic at heart. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and, in fact, on a board such as this, I consider it to be healthy and necessary.

That said, skepticism should not be a valid reason for derailing a thread that, at worst, provides a point of view not heard or read elsewhere and, at best, offers information that could be vital to each and everyone of us.

Let's step back and think about this for a moment. If Eco or Clouds are being less than truthful about their inside sources (for the record I believe each is sincere) then what harm has been done? Are they suggesting that anyone take action that could be harmful? Are they warning that their insiders are telling us that we all will be dead soon? Are they calling for us all to take to the streets and start the revolution?

No.

If, however, they are correct, and are accurately relaying their insider's take on this Flu, then we will be in possession of better, more informative information with which to make informed decisions as to our own courses of actions.

It is not hard to believe that the CDC and the WHO don't yet have a handle on this virus since it appears to have characteristics not commonly found in strains of the flu.

My question is, why would anyone object to the information that is being posted in this thread. As time passes, it will be easy to determine how reliable the sources were. I will say that, to date, both Eco and Clouds have provided information that was not available anywhere else (at least that I could find) at the time but found it's way into subsequent media reports.

Eco specifically correctly predicted when stories about the virus would begin to re-appear in the MSM and called the sudden identification of "underlying conditions," in the cases of any of those who died.

His info and that of others, has allowed me to monitor the MSM and other reports with an informed eye. I am sincerely grateful for that.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
U.K update.Still not to much detail about it though.

2 more swine flu cases in the UK

The latest cases are both adults in England. One is from London and the second is from the East of England.

Edit to update story

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Eco, Clouds, H3,
I am new to ATS as you know, but I discovered it in my searching about the H1N1 flue in April.

I VALUE the information you put on this thread. I am disappointed when the news is quiet and there isn't a lot of info!

I think ALL of you do a fabulous job. It is up to the individual person to take the information and with thought, logic and intelligence decide what to believe and what to file away for later. To turn this thread into an argument is nuts! We are hear to learn and educate ourselves, what we do with that information is up to each individual.

Please continue to make this thread as it has been. It is good to see and hear all sides but in a calm manner.

Just wanted to let you know I LOVE this thread and value it and all of you! Don't let the anyone get you down!

By the way, has anyone thought of the possiblity that these people may be government? Trying to throw us off???
MimiG

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by pinkpixiexx

pinkpixie...hope you are fully recovered soon. If you look through my posts, you will see that I have also mentioned that at the end of my illness my legs felt like jelly....I'd never experienced anything like it before....it was like the illness had ravaged my leg muscles. It went away after about 3 days for me (the jelly legs).

I'm not 100% sure mine was swine flu either...they aren't testing here either, so I just self isolated, which is what they told me to do. But I also had the stomach involvement, and feel sure enough that I had it that I am jumping on a plane tomorrow! That's not to say I won't continue to take precautions just in case it wasn't swine flu, but I think if I didn't feel reasonably confident it was swine flu, I'd be holding off on flying til things settle down more (hoping they do!).

[edit on 23-5-2009 by phoenixs1]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I have just caught up on yesterday's posts, but wanted to add that I am also very grateful to Eco, Hx3 and all the other wonderful people posting info to these boards.

In many ways we are not being told the truth about this flu, and it saddens me that so many are so complacent about it. I hope it doesn't become the killer they fear it will be, but I don't like what I'm seeing re the age of the victims. I also don't like that they seem to be giving it a blanket description of "mild illness", when it's obviously much more serious than that for a large number of the confirmed cases.

Again, thank you for working so hard to keep us informed.

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The news of the Tamiflu creator who thinks that this virus is an escapee begins to spread.

www.healthy.net...

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
not realy related, but interesting none the less..

In a sobering holiday interview with C-SPAN, President Obama boldly told Americans: "We are out of money."

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So if he openly admits (which we all knew) that the U.S. is out of money, no wonder the stats are not showing what they should..

a panic at this stage would probably tip us over the edge and end up in finacial colapse.

[edit on 23-5-2009 by severdsoul]

posted on May, 23 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
A P & O cruise ship was quarantined yesterday after it docked in Sydney Harbour with a feared swine flu outbreak.
www.news.com.au...

new topics

top topics

<< 438  439  440    442  443  444 >>

join