It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 431
<< 428  429  430    432  433  434 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Worst of flu outbreak 'over' in Canada

That's funny - the numbers jump to over a thousand in a couple of days. Canada is only testing some cases. Canada is the second largest country in the World. It is still sparsely populated. The spread of the disease in Canada should be used as a model to show how it moves in rich nations due to easy of movement.

"It looks at this point like we're over the worst of it in Canada for this season. But again, I'm going to hedge my bets on that," David Butler-Jones said, "because we're watching very closely ... you could see a second spike. But so far we've not seen that."

Well, any model I've looked has suggested that a second wave will be months away. How is that they haven't seen the same models?

"The H1N1 virus is not going away, despite what you may have heard," Dr. Schuchat said, stressing that the number of cases in the United States may be only the "tip of the iceberg."

The contents of the article largely contradict the headline.

Anyone scanning headlines or only reading even the first couple of paragraphs will be grossly misinformed.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

I have not seen a single person sick either. But I live in a small town and only really go out to take my son for a walk or make a run to Wal-Mart.

I am trying to stay as far away from crowds as I can. My wife wants to go to our nephews baseball game tomarrow. I dont want to but dont think I will have much choice. I will keep an eye out for sick people like a hawk.
My wife has seen a couple of sick people at work but has stayed far away from them.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
According to scientists at the Marine Biological Laboratory (MBL) in Woods Hole, Massachusetts, and Dartmouth Medical School, the ability to mount an immune response to H1NI infection, a form of influenza A, can be significantly compromised by even low levels of arsenic exposure that commonly occur through drinking contaminated well water.

Respiratory infections with influenza A virus are a worldwide health problem and kill about 36,000 people each year according to the CDC. The recent outbreak of a type of influenza A known as H1N1, or "swine flu", has killed over 70 Mexicans so far and at least six Americans. The fact that Mexico has large areas of very high arsenic in well water -- and these include the locations where H1N1 first appeared -- intrigued the MBL and Dartmouth research team.

"One thing that did strike us, when we heard about the recent H1N1 outbreak, is [that] Mexico has large areas of very high arsenic in their well water, including the areas where the flu first cropped up. www.naturalnews.com...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

i have been in the quad cities and stayed up in iowa city all last week. didnt see one sick person.

dont shy away from the ballpark. my kid has had 3 games in the last two weeks and i would have killed myself if i missed watching them.

she is 9-10 hitting so far so i just wouldnt miss that stuff for anything, even swine flu.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by loqeth
I have written a quick java program that goes through every page in this thread (in order) and stores posts made by a specific user.

Hi loqeth,

Welcome to the dark side.

Could you screen-scrape Hx3_1963 posts aswell? He's done a phenomenal job with Google Alerts for [Swine Flu], so that would give a great indication of retrospective data.

It would be speculatative, but i'd love to see a graph of twitter reports and 3rd party numbers from web posts.

Sounds like a logistical nightmare though.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Swine flu case near my suburb just been reported:

Melbourne boy tests positive to swine flu

A 17-year-old boy from Melbourne's northern suburbs has tested positive to swine flu, becoming the 11th confirmed case of the disease in Australia.

Health authorities say the boy has not recently travelled overseas and has not had any confirmed contact with any known sufferers.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Quick post to say that it's strange how many more cases USA has than any other country.

Good work on this thread, guys. Very informative.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Quick post to say that it's strange how many more cases USA has than any other country.

USA is a big country. You have to keep that in account.
Australia for example is fairly small in comparison and we seem to be getting more cases each day from people who haven't traveled from different parts of the country so there is a lot of carriers that aren't known.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If people think Mexico is reporting anything even close to the truth or that things have really "stopped" there I have a nice bridge in NY to sell.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

About 5 yrs. ago, a friend's son died quickly of A flu. He was a senior in high school. He went to the hospital because he started coughing up blood. They sent him back home. He died of edema about 14 hrs. later. Her manager paid for all expenses and we had to watch her for a while, it was such a tragedy for her. I really dread seeing this happen to the general population, much less one friend. I didn't understand then what strains of flu there were. I'm learning quickly now. I'm kinda wondering now how they actually checked that my daughter had B flu strain 3 1/2 months ago.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by EDteach
LONDON - Flu experts are looking very closely at Britain — and some have decided that the U.K.'s swine flu-fighting tactics are seriously off the mark and may be hiding a much larger outbreak.

Has anyone else considered it suspicious that the MP's expenses scandal broke when it did? An anonymous parliament insider leaked the story to the press at just the time that Swine Flu should have been in the news, and it has swamped TV, radio and newspaper coverage.

No one I know is interested in Swine Flu, in fact I get laughed at just for visiting ATS, but I wouldn't know a thing about it if I didn't come here!

[edit on 21-5-2009 by akkad]

Mod edit: fixed broken quote tag

[edit on 26 May 2009 by Hellmutt]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

Originally posted by ecoparity
If people think Mexico is reporting anything even close to the truth or that things have really "stopped" there I have a nice bridge in NY to sell.

and how much did u buy this bridge for?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Exactly... I read that Mexico has given the all clear and there hasn't been a reported case in a week! How far from the truth can that be? Is it so they can try to get the economy moving again?

It just seems so freaking bizzare that this thing is still spreading around the world like crazy and nothing else at all out of Mexico and now the all clear from them, its over. This really raises suspicion off of the charts for a cover up.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Japan Revamps Policy To Tackle New Flu, Removes Onboard Health Checks

Friday, May 22, 2009 from nikkei.com

TOKYO (Kyodo)--The Japanese government adopted a new policy on battling new strains of influenza Friday in the face of the domestic outbreak of an apparently milder form of the infection.

The new policy, intended to allow for more flexible responses to minimize the impact on people's daily lives and business activity, regroups affected areas into two -- one with a limited number of confirmed infections and the other where infections are spreading rapidly.

It also puts an end to quarantine checks of passengers on flights from North America to Japan.

No more quarantine checks and more relaxed responses. What political pressure has been put on them? This doesnt really make sense for people that are so crowded together.

I am amazed at this new response from Japan. I wonder in a week, how many more cases they will have. My guess is HUGE numbers

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by pcgeek

Exactly... I read that Mexico has given the all clear and there hasn't been a reported case in a week! How far from the truth can that be? Is it so they can try to get the economy moving again?

It just seems so freaking bizzare that this thing is still spreading around the world like crazy and nothing else at all out of Mexico and now the all clear from them, its over. This really raises suspicion off of the charts for a cover up.

The people who design the plans to fight epidemics use the analogy of a wild fire to explain how infections spread and how to fight the outbreak. Think about it, the virus is moving from person to person in the most basic sense so an outbreak can sweep through your town and may only infect say 30% because those people were all in close proximity to the virus be it carried by a host or left behind.

The virus will move on, sweeping into the next town or somewhere clear across the globe and things may calm down in your area. That doesn't mean it won't come sweeping back through again. The odds are that sooner or later a connection will be made and someone will bring the virus back and make a whole new set of connections in your town and this time you and everyone you know is affected.

That's why they have to put "fire breaks" in, so that when the virus does come back through in another wave the potential hosts are vaccinated. Without a vaccine the only thing you can do is contain the outbreak (near impossible) or isolate new hosts.

Think of the virus as being the alien who takes over people's bodies. If you can trap it in a last host without anyone else to infect, it dies. At some point in the outbreak the virus has most likely jumped to a non human host and will go dormant until that magic day years or decades from now when it suddenly mutates and jumps back into humans again.

Or someone takes a lab sample and does something incredibly stupid . . .

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

Everyone from everywhere in the USA can go for a holiday week in Mexico and be home before they are sick.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I think I finally got Swine Flu today. Heavy head, mild headache, exhaustion, dry throat...NO FEVER.

I'm exhausted. I don't know if it's from the cold medicine or whatever this thing is, but I had trouble speaking to my brother on the phone. I was in deep need of water all of a sudden. I'm going to drink as much water as possible tonight.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

Off topic a little but you gota love those quad cities curbs, i mean drive ways. *LOL* its the craziest thing i have ever seen.

For those that have never been there the drive ways are almost as tall as the curbs, realy jar the heck out of you getting in and out of traffic.

sorry off topic but just got back home and had to respond.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
My sister-in-law, two of her daughters and two grandsons are now seriously ill with high fevers and vometing.
No H1N1 tests have been done.
They live about 30 miles away.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I would like to know some educated opinions on what people think this currently is and what it has the potential to turn into, I just dont have the time or patience to read back through all of these posts right now.
No right field conspiracies or fear mongering opinions, just some opinions based on the information that has been gathered from reputable sources throughout the web.

I can tell you the little bit that I have heard/read but its probably old news/numbers.
I read one story that said that up to two billion could be infected when the second wave hits and currently the number of infected could be up to a hundred thousand.
I also believe that this flu doesnt act like normal flu, going away and leaving the person immune to that strain.
It seems to go away, then come back, then linger for a while, giving the victim a low grade fever, fatigue, aching muscles, head aches etc..

One more question i have is, how many people were affected/infected during the first wave of the spanish flu and how many died during that time.
The reason I ask is because ive also read that this flu is following a familiar pattern but doesnt seem to be as virulent as the spanish flu.
Even if its true that five thousand people are infected in the US, then with only ten deaths, that would be somewhere around a quarter of a percent fatality rate, which isnt that bad at all.

Any corrections or additions to what I have said above are appreciated

new topics

top topics

<< 428  429  430    432  433  434 >>

join