It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 428
<< 425  426  427    429  430  431 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Flyers...I can't answer your question re the pneumonia, but hope someone else can. I had the same question last week, when I thought I'd fully recovered, then got a bit wheezy and a bit concerned. Sounds like our symptoms were quite similar, particularly the part re the legs aching at the end. Mine felt like jello for days after, like I had run a marathon...it was like it had ravaged my muscles somehow.

FWIW, it'll be 3 weeks ago Saturday that it started for me, and I'm feeling pretty much past it now.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by habfan1968
Have you been to the hospital?

I went to the doctor. She gave me an antibiotic 'to hang on to' in case I got worse. Of course I took it. But no tamiflu or anything like that. It's too late for it now anyways. She said it's a virus and I just have to let it take it's course.

I'm just worried about that 'pneumonia kicker' that folks talk about. I'd like to know what day that kicks in ...

flyers are bad.

Yep.

If you took the antibiotics you should be fine. The early La Gloria cases were not diagnosed as flu but were caught at the point they caught "atypical pneumonia" (which is another way of saying antibiotic resistant or walking pneumonia). They were treated with antibiotics and OTC respiratory drugs and all recovered.

If you have the long time line variant you could still be sick for 7 to 30 days or more but the worst part should be over. If you go into the longer option you may get a recurring infection like I have.

One of the problems with this thing is the way it can affect people in completely different ways. That's why it's so hard to tell you what you are going to have to deal with. You might be over it completely in a day or two or you may be in for a longer haul. I wish I had better news than that but try to hope for the best.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
It seems to be most likely in the 4 weeks after the initial infection.

Thank you.

I'm only on day 12. So I have 16 days to countdown.
I'll hold my breath and mark my calendar.

Stay ahead of inflammation. If you can stay ahead of the inflammation you'll be better off. It takes of so fast and furious, that it is what is getting people. You can live for a LONG time with a virus. You can only live three minutes without breath.

The antibiotics probably aren't a bad idea, but many of the people who die will/are dying of VIRAL pneumonia, or a SARS event, sepsis triggered by SARS. Antibiotics won't help with those.

[edit on 2009/5/21 by Aeons]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Hmmm...
Mexico City ends swine flu alert, no cases in week
www.mercurynews.com...

# Wallonie Brabant, Belgium: 1 confirmed caseSource: Influenza.be ( Dutch ) ( Francais ) ( English google translated )Date: 21 May 20092 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# San Miguelito, Panama: 13 confirmed casesSource: Pan American Health Organization Date: 20 May 20092 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Colon district, Panama: 3 confirmed casesSource: Pan American Health Organization Date: 20 May 20092 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Cocle district, Panama: 1 Confirmed caseSource: Pan American Health Organization Date: 20 May 20092 minutes ago from twitterfeed

BobbieOldfield: Just got in from work, was awful! Feel even worse though, this swine flu is taking it's toll! 7 minutes ago from Tweetie

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfinguru

No way man. I watched the game live in HD. Yes there might have been alot of people there in Red, there were WAY too many empty seats for a conference final game. Even my wife noticed it while we were watching.

The Boston Garden's seats are completely empty too. Then again, that's because both of our teams choked in the last round

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I know some think others are blowing this way out of proportion, but when you see a strong person being bedridden for days when they haven't spent one day of their life sick, it kind of makes you think you have been lied to.

I know I feel lied to. I know I feel like they should of tested my husband. I know I think that in all likelyhood, he does in fact have swine flu & I know that I'm ticked off at the government for not doing more to keep this crap out of country when the chance still existed.

Hell, why are they not even testing the people who proably have it & are spreading it to others? This could cost lives & no one in the government seems to care!

At this point, I'm getting angry & I think I have every right to be.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

Thank you all for being patient. I'm being a whiney girl.
I just really don't want to get the pneumonia with breathing machine ...
ya' know?

Not much I can do about it if it happens, I guess ...

I was given 500mg leviquin (spelling) for 7 days.
Just finished yesterday.

I'm using my inhaler every 4 hours or so ... needed or not.

I don't want my asthma to sieze up on me .. unexpectedly.

My doctor didn't even suggest testing for swine. When I brought it up she just chuckled and said 'well, if you have it be happy that it's a mild case'.

ANOTHER QUESTION - I get the feeling there are multiple Swine Flu types running around. If I got this one type, does that give me immunity to the other types that are out there? Or immunity in the fall if it mutates? Anyone know?

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by nanbei
reply to post by larphillips

If it's true that this virus has a normal virulence and risk profile similar to typical seasonal flu, WHY many countries, especially in Asia, are treating this much seriously??

I didn't say that I agree with the notion that the virulence is similar to seasonal flu, I'm just passing along information.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenixs1

I don't know if it helps, but my husband was diagnosed with pneumonia on Sunday evening & his first syptoms were on Thursday. (so just over 72 hours from onset to pneumonia)

He is on antibiotics, but was told bluntly, if they don't work, he will have to be hospitalized.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
If you have had a previous vaccine DO NOT think you have a little bit of immunity.

Previous vaccines little help.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The seasonal flu vaccine provides virtually no protection against the new H1N1 influenza strain, federal health researchers confirmed on Thursday.

[edit on 21/5/09 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
GAH!!! Amatrine, clouds, hex etc I am trying to respond to your U2U... ddint know I had them till now..

but now I am getting

U2U Flood Control is in effect. Please wait a little longer before you send another message

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I am replying though

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

I have been reading your posts for days Lynn and hope your husband is feeling much better soon. Is he showing signs of improvement?

I find the lack of testing frustrating...I'd really like to know if I've had it or not....if I've already had it, I need not worry about catching it anymore, won't need their vaccine etc.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and your husband and hope to get some good news from you soon.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I was just asking if you or anybody else have any clue on why Asian countries are still very concerned about a virus that is allegedly even milder than normal flu. If it is supposed to be so harmless, why they don't let everybody get infected?
It seems people in Europe are not worried at all about the new flu.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Confirmed cases increase from 5 to 16 in Peru.

Suman 16 casos confirmados de gripe porcina en Perú tras 11 nuevos contagios
Univision

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixs1
reply to post by lynn112

I have been reading your posts for days Lynn and hope your husband is feeling much better soon. Is he showing signs of improvement?

I find the lack of testing frustrating...I'd really like to know if I've had it or not....if I've already had it, I need not worry about catching it anymore, won't need their vaccine etc.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and your husband and hope to get some good news from you soon.

He is improving, but it is slow as heck. He still has a fever that won't budge under 100 even with OTC med's & he is still having trouble breathing if he does to much. (making coffee this morning was to much. It is driving him nuts to feel this useless & the couch has become his enemy. He is also very concerned that I will get it & it will really hurt me. (I have a crappy immune system thanks to three kids giving me just about every flu, cold and infection for the last decade)

My daughter ironically went to our doctor last Thursday because her nasty flu had come back after a week of being MIA. He began to feel syptoms while chatting with the doctor, but both brushed it off because my husband never needs medical intervention. He has the immune system from hell & it can kick the butt out of anything, until now.

Anyway, they are giving him until next Tuesday. If he still has any fluid in his lungs, they are going to admit him for treatment. I'm scared & I have no shame in admiting it.

On topic, I am very ticked that they are not testing & letting people spread this around. I'm even more ticked because IMO, it is all about the money. They don't want us to panic, they don't want businesses to close, they don't Blah, Blah, Blah............ who cares. There is no good excuse for putting lives in danger & that is what they are doing IMO.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

reply to post by ecoparity

Thank you all for being patient. I'm being a whiney girl.
I just really don't want to get the pneumonia with breathing machine ...
ya' know?

Not much I can do about it if it happens, I guess ...

I was given 500mg leviquin (spelling) for 7 days.
Just finished yesterday.

I'm using my inhaler every 4 hours or so ... needed or not.

I don't want my asthma to sieze up on me .. unexpectedly.

My doctor didn't even suggest testing for swine. When I brought it up she just chuckled and said 'well, if you have it be happy that it's a mild case'.

ANOTHER QUESTION - I get the feeling there are multiple Swine Flu types running around. If I got this one type, does that give me immunity to the other types that are out there? Or immunity in the fall if it mutates? Anyone know?

What there is, is 5 known influenza viruses running around. Then at least one Corona (cold) virus. There was one Norovirus that was around as late a January the last time I heard about it.

Several of these flus, and the cold, all seem to have quite a bit of inflammation causing symptoms.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I was just asking if you or anybody else have any clue on why Asian countries are still very concerned about a virus that is allegedly even milder than normal flu. If it is supposed to be so harmless, why they don't let everybody get infected?
It seems people in Europe are not worried at all about the new flu.

I'm not sure, but could it be they are better prepared to handle this considering the SARS thing they dealt with?

Or it could be that they are not as willing to take chances when it comes to health situations because most of their people are in such condensed areas.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips

If it's true that this virus has a normal virulence and risk profile similar to typical seasonal flu, WHY many countries, especially in Asia, are treating this much seriously??

I didn't say that I agree with the notion that the virulence is similar to seasonal flu, I'm just passing along information.

The virulence is somewhat unknown. What it surely does have, even if it averages out to the same virulence as normal, is a profile of virulence that is terribly unusual.

People OVER 50 tend to be hardest hit in most flus. In this flu, they seem to have some resistence (maybe linked to the 1957 pandemic).

People between 18-50 seem to be more likely to contract it, and then more likely to develop atypical symptoms than the regular flus.

People under 18, and particular under 12, seem to recover very nicely but have a suspectibility that is about 90%. If they come into contact with it, they are almost certain to incubate it.

All of that is significantly atypical to the seasonal flu.

So, it may not be anymore virulent on average. Average can be very misleading.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Statistician's definition of 'average': If I put my feet in the oven and my head in the fridge, I can still say on average, I feel fine!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by novacs4me

Clever!

Okay...so what about the weekend people? High travel volumes usually meaning busy airports...events and get togethers...movie theaters...you know the usual hoop-la (and not enough of it is about "remembering" IMO)
Will it step up the infections or has it truly died down in terms of strength?

Is is believed that because it's "subsiding" (not buying personally) that it will be an even slower news-period or will things escalate as people go about their lives and do probably more with others who might be infected and will next week bring a new rash of fatalities?

Why I'm really not liking is the "sudden and violent" deaths...any more news on the ball-player's wife and others who simply dropped where they stood?
It's so awful...my heart goes out to their families.

Public pools open here in South Texas...waterparks aka potty-pools as well.
Gulp.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by irishchic]

top topics

<< 425  426  427    429  430  431 >>

join