It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 427
<< 424  425  426    428  429  430 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by surfinguru

I looked. The place looks full.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lunieri

Had a few of them last week, although this morning they went dead for 5 min. on one of the major stations, testing for the new digital switch over they said. Never seen them do that before, though it was odd, its what ever chanel has the today show on.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I didn't notice empty seats, but like I said, I did think the same the other night til I noticed it was the red shirts.

The tickets for last night's game only went on sale about a week ago, when swine flu had already well and truly taken off. So, most people concerned about catching it in a public arena probably wouldn't have bought a ticket? It was a sell out.

I was at one of the playoff games with the BlackHawks/Canucks, when both cities already had lots of infections, and it was a full house, I didn't see one empty seat.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This was posted on my company's intranet page, dated a week ago (5/14):

Concerning the probable H1N1 virus case (formerly swine flu) reported in **** Building in ***** earlier this week, the contract professional is recovering without complications, and no other cases have been reported, according to *****, Vice President of Environmental, Safety, Health & Security.

According to local medical providers, confirmation testing on suspected cases of H1N1 is no longer being conducted by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), unless a case is so severe that hospitalization is required.

Recent positive news from the CDC indicates that recommendations and perceptions surrounding the H1N1 virus have improved in the last five days. There is now an acceptance that the virus has a normal virulence and risk profile similar to typical seasonal flu. As a result, the CDC has called for a stand-down and is now recommending that, in most scenarios, H1N1 cases fall under normal influenza protocols.

Professionals should continue to refer to and monitor the iNET for H1N1 information, including FAQs and specific instructions and guidelines on company policies and procedures. ***** will continue to take steps to provide for the health and well-being of its professionals, clients, contractors and other key stakeholders and will continue to monitor the H1N1 influenza and provide additional updates as appropriate.

The bold is mine.

So, based on my reading of this paragraph, nearly every confirmed infection in the US for the past couple of weeks falls under the heading of "... so severe that hospitalization is required." That makes the reported number of infected in the US a lot more terrifying... and a fact to share with those who think that anyone with the sniffles is being counted in that number.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Ok, last post on the issue and I'll move on as I don't want to get away from the updates etc. I pulled a screen shot off of the TSN network games on-demand and found a decent enough example of the empty seats. The seat backs are red giving the impression of someone in the seat (great job designers!), but look a little closer, the bottom of the chairs are brown and will create a uniform and even line across several seats.

These are prime seats right there!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by larphillips

If it's true that this virus has a normal virulence and risk profile similar to typical seasonal flu, WHY many countries, especially in Asia, are treating this much seriously??

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Asia is certainly the hotspot at the moment.

H1N1 virus spreads in asia.Reuters tokyo.

TOKYO (Reuters) - The spread of the new H1N1 virus in Asia showed no signs of slowing Thursday as the Philippines recorded its first case and new infections were confirmed in Japan, China and Taiwan.

[edit on 21/5/09 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I suggest think about why you are posting in this thread because you obviously are not checking for updates as you do not care about this thing known as "swine flu". I suggest you leave.

Actually I am checking for updates. This is a great site to keep up to date on events as they unfold, there is no doubt. And I am actually being cautious, and as I do believe it HAS the potential, however small that may be, to become quite serious, I will continue to check for updates and see how it spreads, and the governments (around the world) reactions. They alone can be quite telling about what's going on.

As far as this being solely a thread for updates, why are those predicting the worst exempt from this self-made policy? So... those who predict doom and gloom, government cover-ups, claiming media blackout, who are predicting 'high death counts'... these people can say whatever they like, even if has nothing to do with an update. But have an opposing position, and suddenly, I am abusing the purpose of the thread! Amazing.

I don't think you understand me at all, but that's ok, you don't know me from Adam. I wouldn't be here if I were not concerned. Just because I feel people are blowing things out of proportion, or jumping to wild conclusions, doesn't mean I am unconcerned out anything else.

For those 'calling out' others for not posting updates.... call everyone out please, or keep it to yourself. The biased (which is typical here it seems) method of dealing with others is laughable. "You can stay and say whatever you want... you agree with me! You others? Go away!"

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Google News
Mexico City ends swine flu alert, no cases in week
www.google.com...

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico City lowered its swine flu alert level from yellow to green on Thursday, and the mayor said "we can relax" now that there have been no new infections for a week.

Mayor Marcelo Ebrard said the change means the risk of contagion is low, the situation is under control and the images of countless people wearing blue surgical masks in cars, sidewalks, restaurants and theaters can be consigned to history.

"There's no longer any need" to wear masks, Ebrard said. "Now you can come to the city without any risk."

City Health Secretary Armando Ahued said nobody has been hospitalized with respiratory infections in the last three days, and no swine flu cases have been confirmed since May 14. "We are seeing a 96.1 percent drop in cases, and that's why we are dropping the alert level to green today," Ahued said.

Since the outbreak was declared on April 23, Mexico City has spent 4.5 billion pesos ($334 million) to buy medicine and antibacterial gel and provide incentives for businesses to shut their doors and clean public spaces. The capital was hit hardest by the virus, which contributed to 75 deaths as it infected more than 3,800 people across Mexico.

Ebrard urged Mexicans to remain vigilant, to maintain sanitary conditions in places where crowds gather such as the subway and schools, and to support a "culture of health."

"The big lesson is that we understand what the scientists have been saying for a decade: that we have to be prepared for any possible virus that can appear," the mayor said.

That's a relief

Anyone remember the mayor from jaws?

[edit on 21-5-2009 by tarifa37]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Mother of Swine Flu Death Victim Says Son Was Not Tested Early
www.fox13now.com...

P.S. 130 closes with 76 possible flu cases
www.downtownexpress.com...

Suspected swine flu at Coimbatore
news.chennaionline.com...

Friuli-Julisch Venetië, Italia: 1 confirmed case This is a young woman of 21 years, residing in Friuli, Italy back in May 15 last year fr..34 minutes ago from twitterfeed

9 more swine full cases in Washoe County; now at 19
www.tahoebonanza.com...&ParentProfile=1050

First case of H1N1 flu confirmed in Saginaw County
www.mlive.com...

Seasonal Flu Vaccine No Match for H1N1 Virus, Health Officials Say
www.attorneyatlaw.com...

Swine flu case in Greene County
www.dailyfreeman.com...

Two new cases of swine flu in area
www.staynersun.ca...

Tokyoites scramble to battle new flu
www.yomiuri.co.jp...

Kansai local govts withhold information on flu patients
www.yomiuri.co.jp...

Innards of H1N1 Virus Resemble 'Flu Sausage'
www.livescience.com...

2 Students at Local High School Have Confirmed Cases of Swine Flu
www.thebaynet.com...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I missed that! Interesting....looks like a group didn't show up there. Hard to know why they aren't there though. When this first broke I had a ticket for one of the playoff games, so had a google alert set for "swine flu nhl" and haven't heard anything about it affecting attendances at the games. In the playoffs, most people are getting their tickets just days before, so most have already weighed the risk when buying I think.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by phoenixs1]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
2 Upstate Cases Confirmed as Swine Flu
gouverneurtimes.com

A Single Case Of Swine Flu Now In Crawford County...In Southeast Minnesota, One Case In A 10-County Area
www.1410wizm.com...

Officials still eye reports about flu
www.newsargus.com...

# Togo: Suspected Influenza A (H1N1) Reported; Total Of 31 Suspected Cases Recorded Throughout Africa : Date: May 21, 2009 18:43 UTC Ri..2 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Ghana: Suspected Influenza A (H1N1) Reported; Total Of 31 Suspected Cases Recorded Throughout Africa : Date: May 21, 2009 18:18 UTC R..2 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Penang Hospital: One Person Under Observation for Influenza A (H1N1): Date: May 21, 2009 17:22 UTC Risk: Medium Asia One, an Asia reg..2 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Aguascalientes: 35 Cases and One Fatal Case of Seasonal Influenza Confirmed, Total Increases to 201 Cases and Five Fatal Cases; Four Addi..2 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Hoyo de Manzanares: Several Confirmed Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) at Army Base: Date: May 21, 2009 16:56 UTC Risk: Medium Europa Pres..2 minutes ago from twitterfeed

Respiratory hygiene key to preventing swine flu
nation.ittefaq.com...

County Emergency Managment Office Reports 316 “Suspected” Cases Of Swine Flu
www.fortbendnow.com...

Two Calvert Students Had H1N1 Flu
somd.com...

Niagara County Reports First Swine Flu Case
www.wgrz.com...

Ten new A/H1N1 flu cases confirmed in Europe
news.xinhuanet.com...

[edit on 5/21/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Okay .. I"m on day 12.
Still a bit stuffy. Still coughing stuff up, but not as much.
Temp is now normal. I get tired off and on.
My legs still ache - especially after having layed down for a while.

QUESTION to anyone familiar with this thing - what day does the pneumonia kick in if it's going to? Am I past that ... or is it coming?

MY TIME LINE (for those interested to compare to theirs.)

- I felt 'off' and had a below normal temp for two days before symptoms.

- Day one - below normal temp, sore throat w/ instant broncitis. Runniest nose I've ever had. I slept with a hand towel under my head .. and I filled up 5 hand towels with watery stuff from my nose. Soaking wet.

- Day two - same as day one - below normal temp, sore throat w/ instant broncitis. Runniest nose I've ever had. I again slept with a hand towel under my head .. and I filled up 5 hand towels with watery stuff from my nose. Soaking wet. Chest congestion started.

- Day three - Temp goes from subnormal to 101. Chest and head congestion. Cough. Legs and back ache. Can't sleep - strange anxious feeling.

- Day four - same as day three. - Temp goes from subnormal to 101. Chest and head congestion. Cough. Legs and back ache. Can't sleep - strange anxious feeling.

- Day five through twelve - coughing up gunk. Stuffy head but getting better. Legs still hurt. Back is better. Still have problems sleeping - strange anxious feeling.

edited to add - off and on upset stomach without throwing up the entire time .. still have it a bit.

QUESTION - what is the average day that the' pneumonia chase'r kicks in? Anyone know?

God I hope i'm past it and don't get it. I have asthma and other 'underlying conditions'. If I die and the news says 'pudgy middle aged Wilmington woman dies of swine flu but had underlying conditions' ... in my case it would be true. I do. (oh .. and I have middle age pudge .. I'm not 'obsese'
)

[edit on 5/21/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I'm a hockey fan .. and getting tickets to playoffs is next to impossible.

The empty seats could be because of the economy .... but honestly here in Philly the seats sold out even with the economy like it is.

link   
From The Star website

Two Ontarians are now hospitalized with swine flu and other underlying health problems, including a Toronto man with congestive heart failure.
The provincial health ministry is revealing few details about the cases, but a source has said the 60-year-old Toronto man is on life support. He has been in Toronto Western Hospital for more than a week.

Of course they both have underlying conditions.

link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Have you been to the hospital?
Sounds like you have a bad enough flu to go no?
btw, flyers are bad.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968

I went to the doctor. She gave me an antibiotic 'to hang on to' in case I got worse. Of course I took it. But no tamiflu or anything like that. It's too late for it now anyways. She said it's a virus and I just have to let it take it's course.

I'm just worried about that 'pneumonia kicker' that folks talk about. I'd like to know what day that kicks in ...

flyers are bad.

Yep.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by habfan1968

I went to the doctor. She gave me an antibiotic 'to hang on to' in case I got worse. Of course I took it. But no tamiflu or anything like that. It's too late for it now anyways. She said it's a virus and I just have to let it take it's course.

I'm just worried about that 'pneumonia kicker' that folks talk about. I'd like to know what day that kicks in ...

flyers are bad.

Yep.

It seems to be most likely in the 4 weeks after the initial infection. Though your immune system is weakened and more suspectible to all infections for another six months.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
It seems to be most likely in the 4 weeks after the initial infection.

Thank you.

I'm only on day 12. So I have 16 days to countdown.
I'll hold my breath and mark my calendar.

new topics

top topics

<< 424  425  426    428  429  430 >>

join