It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 424
<< 421  422  423    425  426  427 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Taiwan reports new flu case

TAIPEI (AFP) — Taiwan on Thursday confirmed its second case of swine flu in a student returning from the United States but the health minister said there was unlikely to be a mass outbreak on the island before the end of June.

The 22-year-old woman who studies at a New York university tested positive for A(H1N1) influenza after running a fever upon her arrival after a transit in Hong Kong, Taiwan's Centres for Disease Control (CDC) said.

She was immediately isolated at a hospital near the airport and her symptoms had eased after she was put on anti-flu drugs, CDC spokesman Shih Wen-yi told reporters.

Health authorities were tracking down the other passengers who sat nearest her on the Cathay Pacific flight from Hong Kong for screening.

The island's first confirmed case was an Australian doctor who arrived by plane from Hong Kong earlier in the week.

www.google.com...

So here comes case number two in Taiwan!

At least these guys are taking this serious and to whatever they can to not let the virus spread! - kudos to them for this!

I wish that we could do the same here in Europe!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

The already ongoing outbreaks of swine H1N1 in the southern hemisphere can lead H1N1 to acquire H274Y, leading to Tamiflu resistance, which could complicate treatment of the more severe cases, which may involve previously healthy young adults.

That's very likely to happen because the number of infected people is going to increase dramatically here in South America (they must be in triple digit in many countries right now, but governments are all covering up) and seasonal flu is already here, since winter is about to beggin.

In most South American cities, public hospitals already have no rooms and equipment to threat ill patients. When internations due to the new flu starts to increase, the situation might get quite ugly.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Man with suspected symptoms of swine flu in Uttarakhand India

New Delhi, May 21 (PTI) A 50-year-old man, who recently returned from swine flu-affected Hong Kong, was admitted to a hospital in Uttarakhand with suspected symptoms of the disease as authorities continued to screen passengers at all the international airports across the country.

Joshi, who complained of fever, cough and weakness, was admitted to Haldwani Base Hospital in Nainital district

He had returned to India on May 16 after visiting South Korea and Hong Kong. Three swine flu cases have been confirmed in Hong Kong so far.

Authorities have alerted all hospitals of the state.

Meanwhile, test reports of a man, who had been sent to the Infectious Diseases Hospital in Kolkata with symptoms of swine flu, are yet to arrive

Though some of the tests done in Kolkata proved negative for swine flu, the final reports of the swab and blood tests sent to New Delhi are yet to come, Director of Health Services Aniruddha Kar told PTI here today.

The man -- Shyamal Sarkar -- had landed at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport by an Emirates flight from Dubai yesterday with fever, upper respiratory tract infection and other symptoms similar to swine flu. PTI

www.ptinews.com...

India now starting to report cases that are probably H1N1 as well!

Well that's not good since India is so terribly crowded with people living very close together in the society.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by phoenixs1

My view of the government and the media here in the uk
has never been as low as it is now.
Where I live,officially there have been no reports of anyone
having/had this.

Yet by seeing and hearing I know damn well its here.
I live opposite a doctors surgery and there has been more traffic
so to speak than usual.
Im not a curtain twitcher but have seen a few people stood outside
coughing their lungs up.

Just this afternoon after picking my daughter up from school and
taking her to her singing group,I was chatting with a parent of one
of the other children who did say that there were 10 children out a his daughters class out ill.There are 3 out in my daughters class.

I am glad that we are now a day away from the half-term holiday.
I'll be watching things carefully before the end of it to make a judgement
on wether to let my daughter go back to school.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Three more 'probable' cases of swine flu confirmed
news.stv.tv...

Family mourns for Utah's first swine flu victim
www.abc4.com...

Minot man recovers from swine flu
www.kxmc.com...

Highland student has confirmed case of swine flu
www.thetimesonline.com...

‘Swine flu’ cases in Virginia now up to 23
www.loudouni.com...

UK swine flu infections reach 112
news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 5/21/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by gallifreyan medic

I think if the world financial state was not as it is now,they would
have been following the set plan.

Sadly money seems to be more inportant than life.
What a bass ackward world we live in.

I would imagine that the same pressures would be put upon the CDC and WHO regardless of the financial situation. If we were in the middle of boom times, you can already guess the arguments about not wanting to disrupt the world economy... hundreds of thousands of job losses would result... developing nations would suffer... etc.

[edit on 5/21/09 by larphillips]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by nanbei
reply to post by Chevalerous

The already ongoing outbreaks of swine H1N1 in the southern hemisphere can lead H1N1 to acquire H274Y, leading to Tamiflu resistance, which could complicate treatment of the more severe cases, which may involve previously healthy young adults.

That's very likely to happen because the number of infected people is going to increase dramatically here in South America (they must be in triple digit in many countries right now, but governments are all covering up) and seasonal flu is already here, since winter is about to beggin.

In most South American cities, public hospitals already have no rooms and equipment to threat ill patients. When internations due to the new flu starts to increase, the situation might get quite ugly.

Claro!

I think this is why they are so freaked out now by this H274Y mutation.

I wish you guys the best!

I lived 6 years of my life in Venezuela and have been traveling all over South Americas so I have a big piece of my heart still there!

I miss my friends and Venezuela terribly much at times!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
UAE says testing man suspected of having H1N1 flu

Source: Reuters

DUBAI, May 21 (Reuters) - The United Arab Emirates has placed a air passenger who arrived from Canada in isolation because of concerns he may have H1N1 flu, the Health Ministry said on Thursday.

"A passenger who arrived in Abu Dhabi from Canada was put in isolation after he was suspected of having the swine flu," the ministry said, quoted by the state news agency WAM.

The passenger was undergoing medical checks, it said

The World Health Organisation chief said on Thursday she would not hesitate to raise the global pandemic alert to the top of the six-point scale if the new H1N1 flu is spreading globally.

No Gulf Arab country has reported any cases of the flu. The UAE is the Middle East's main air travel hub.

www.alertnet.org...

That all these air travel hubs around the world will transfer this virus is logical!

Reports from India that a man now suspected having the flu came from Dubai I think!

And now this!

I think we can see a pattern!

And the worst is yet to come, when millions of muslim pilgrims are flying in from all over the world to go to Mecca soon!

Can anyone say: FLU PARTY!

[edit on 21-5-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
last Sunday night someone I know gave a call to the "swine flu" hotline in the UK and to her surprise, the waiting time to get someone to talk to you was.. 4 hours. This was Sunday midnight!!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by larphillips

Maybe.
I don't think it would be the same though.
A shift in selling of different products would occur but it would balance
out.Filling the gap of the sales that drop.
Same in the jobs arena.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Had breakfast with my pharmacist this morning.

She said many doctors are not even seeing patients with flu symptoms unless they have the now famous, underlying condition.

The nurse calls in the prescription to the drug stores.

No swine flu tests are being done unless the person is admitted to the hospital here.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

Originally posted by MimiG
reply to post by ecoparity

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am dying (not literally) to hear what you have! Any ETA for the information so I can get up and read it? Am in CA by the way!
MimiG

I should have checked my email hours ago. I had this in a SPAM folder all day long and apparently it's been leaked to the media now so I may as well share it here:

CDC Internal Briefing (PDF File)

I have more items I can't post right now but this one has some interesting data. The fact CDC insiders are starting to leak things to the media at this level says a lot about what we can expect to see in the days to come.

Keep in mind, this is internal use only but is not the classified version. The difference in the statistics gets even larger between this version and the "classified" one.

Items of interest:
A pro baseball pitcher's wife was found "suddenly dead" who was young, healthy and "alive" only minutes before. (No cause of death released yet)

The CDC put in a HUGE order for a specific drug. More on what drug and why they might want it later.
[edit on 21-5-2009 by ecoparity]

[edit on 21-5-2009 by ecoparity]

You don't read the post I make do you I posted that info like 75 post earlier.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixs1

Originally posted by gallifreyan medic
So this is why the delay in raising to level 6.
Certainly showing the new rules to the game.

Must be global before raising.

GENEVA (Reuters) - The head of the World Health Organization said on Thursday she would not hesitate to raise the global pandemic alert to the top of the six-point scale if the new H1N1 flu is spreading globally. "When I see more signals coming from the virus itself or the spread of the disease, including severity, I would not shy away from making a very difficult decision. I would not compromise the world people's health," Margaret Chan said.

[edit on 21/5/09 by gallifreyan medic]

Yes, they certainly seem to be changing the game rules, which I would have thought were set the way they were for a reason, and after some intelligent thought. So, why are they now changing what constitutes a Level 6 Alert? Did they think we wouldn't notice that a few weeks ago they were repeatedly saying they had to see "sustained human to human transmission in 2 geographical areas i.e. an area outside of North America"?

Why the change in rules? How much work and thought did they put into setting the Alert System when they did and why change it now, when faced with our first pandemic since the system came in?

Perhaps the 'constant' change in criteria in announcing Level 6 is perhaps they had hoped if they controlled MSM well, controlled access to testing, and with the advent of warmer weather, this would mellow out for awhile. Then they could save Level 6 for the fall, if need be. Therefore, the economy would not be disrupted further for the next few months. Problem is, it has YET to mellow out. Hmmm, they think, better change the definition of Level 6 again!

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Is she really now just a puppet ,a voice to appease?

Chan wont shy away.

That is now the oppinion that I have
Anyone else feel the same?

Chan wont shy away.

[edit on 21/5/09 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
US swine flu deaths hit double-digits

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Swine flu forced Christina Huitron to make a choice no mother should ever have to make.

On Wednesday she told doctors to take her 21-year-old son off life support, making Marcos Sanchez the nation's 10th fatality associated with the newly discovered virus that continues to spread across the globe.

"I knew he was suffering," Christina Huitron told KSL-TV. "I don't know how he was feeling, but I just knew I had to do it because he was passing away slowly anyways, and I didn't want him to suffer anymore."

Sanchez checked into a suburban hospital Saturday, vomiting blood and burning with fever, Huitron told The Salt Lake Tribune. By Tuesday he was suffering from multiple organ failure.

ex]

Makes you wonder how many more people are in the same position. The US is pretty good at keeping people alive on life support they could keep them there for years infact.

[edit on 21-5-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
# Philippines: First Confirmed Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Reported: Date: May 21, 2009 15:49 UTC Risk: Low Inquirer and ABS CBN News, b..27 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Tanzania: Two Suspected Influenza A (H1N1) Cases Reported; Total Of 31 Suspected Cases Recorded Throughout Africa : Date: May 21, 200..27 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Seia: One Suspected Influenza A (H1N1) Case Refuses Hospitalization: Date: May 21, 2009 15:13 UTC Risk: Medium Portuguese news source..27 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Udmurtiya Republic: 5,649 Cases of Acute Respiratory Viral Infection Registered between 14 and 20 May; Morbidity Increase Noted : Dat..27 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Minoo City Hospital: Male Nurse Confirmed with Influenza A (H1N1); No Close Contacts Reported With Symptoms: Date: May 21, 2009 15:06..27 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Manilla, Philippines: 1 confirmed case Philippine health officials on Thursday confirmed the country's first case of the new H1N1 st..19 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Hachioji, Japan: 2 confirmed caseThe infected girls, from Hachioji in the suburbs of Tokyo and Kawasaki, appeared to be recovering Thursd..about 1 hour ago from twitterfeed

# Kanagawa prefecture, Japan: 1 confirmed caseSource: Kyodo NewsDate: 21 May 2009about 1 hour ago from twitterfeed

# Kyoto prefecture, Japan: 1 confirmed caseSource: Kyodo NewsDate: May 21 2009about 1 hour ago from twitterfeed

No Swine Flu in county, yet
bozemandailychronicle.com...

UPDATE: H1N1 Flu in Coffee County
www.wtvynews4.com...

Taiwan reports third case of H1N1 flu
www.ynetnews.com...

Another area flu case confirmed
www.monroenews.com...

H1N1 cases confirmed in Albany, Greene counties
www.cbs6albany.com...

[edit on 5/21/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by larphillips

One must not make assumptions based on a self selecting group. I agree with you.

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Interesting article on Reuters dealing with the change in position re what is a pandemic....glad someone in the MSM is noticing the changing definition of pandemic.

Chan appeared to stray from the WHO's textbook definition of a pandemic -- which would only require the virus to be spreading in two regions of the world -- saying that she is waiting for it to take hold in both the northern and southern hemispheres.

www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Level 5 IS a pandemic.

Several nations are also lobbying right now to have the severity of a virus be considered in the pandemic scale. So you have a level 6 severity A and a Level 6 severity B sort of scenario.

I believe you'll see the world health organizations drag their feet while they look into these concerns.

[edit on 2009/5/21 by Aeons]

posted on May, 21 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Based on the fact that most of the posters from the US in this thread have had or are having all the H1N1 influenza symptoms, I can conclude that at least half the US population have been infected with this new virus.
In this case, unfortunatelly, there'll be many more deaths.

Or perhaps people are just freaking out? I keep hearing "No panic!" and "It's all calm, we are just dicussing it.." and yet, suddenly, the entire board is inflicted with H1N1. Yet no one has been tested positive. "many more deaths..." I keep hearing this. No basis for this other than speculation, and when I tell folks this is fear-mongering, I am told I have no basis to say this.

Fine.. I'll just follow along and let you folks writhe in your self-inflicted terror of this flu. We are all gonna die after all. It's a certainty it's going to mutate, right? A second horrible wave is assured, yes?

I just get irritated at the level of doom and gloom. I fully believe many people here WANT a full-blown pandemic. They WANT the 'thrill' of a level 6, and possible martial law. I don't know why... I see it with many other subjects on these boards, I just don't get it.

In my mind, common sense says: This is a flu which could become more dangerous, it's still mild however. We've had these scares and media hype before with prior 'pandemics,' which turned out to be pretty mild when all was said and done.

I still don't know ONE SINGLE PERSON who is sick. No flu, no coughing, nothing. My office is good, my home, friends, when I went out the other night.. nothing. Maybe the state I am in got lucky eh?

new topics

top topics

<< 421  422  423    425  426  427 >>

join