It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 400
<< 397  398  399    401  402  403 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Ecoparity, you are in my prayers.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
I presently have a temp of 96.7

Isn't that the strangest thing? First 2 days I had this 'thing' mine was the same way. Then day 3 I went to 101. That lasted a couple of days. I'm on day 10 now .. coughing up junk left and right ... but temp is normal.

Weird weird weird.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

I'm assure you I have been reading this thread, and many other data sources every day about this since the last week of April. You'll see posts of mine on this and other threads about this flu since probably April 27th.

Also - I do not believe people are over reacting generally. The fear factor does not help anyone, but the level of concern is about right here I think.

What I am pointing out is that people are blaming the media-talking-heads and the government for a failing that belongs to the people, "the masses" themselves. It is our responsibility to think and evaluate. If the people around you don't care, when the data is all around them.....well that's their own damn fault.

[edit on 2009/5/19 by Aeons]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

New swine flu cases push Alberta total to 84
www.cbc.ca...

The Public Health Agency of Canada hasn't updated their website since Friday because Monday was Victoria Day (May long weekend). With those numbers you're posting hx3 just from Alberta it will be interesting to see how much Canada's totals will have increased in total since the end of last week. They'll be releasing the #'s @3pm.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Yet again,thanks to so many of you who are just amazing and generous!

I read this thread as soon as I enter my home just to try and "keep up..."
As a side note: the MRSA has been RAMPANT in San Antonio for about the last year or so,schools were complaining as were hospitals,urgent care,and doctor's offices...my derma-doc was literally overrun.

Could there be a connection between this "flu" and the "nasty-ass staph"that's been around for a while?

[edit on 19-5-2009 by irishchic]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieSlayer
Meeting between UN, WHO heads and vaccine makers leads to few donations

A summit between flu vaccine makers and the heads of the UN and the World Health Organization produced no new concrete offers of donated vaccine, the WHO said Tuesday.

While manufacturers acknowledged a global responsibility, at least one wanted to know who would pay for vaccine to be set aside for developing countries. And none of the major manufacturers offered to donate or set aside for UN purchase a portion of their H1N1 vaccine production, a WHO spokesperson said.

But Melinda Henry played down the lack of progress, saying talks are ongoing.

www.cbc.ca...

Laughing My #ing Ass Off

Donate?

As in, "give away for free" a life saving vaccine to poor countries?

(best Pakistani Accent) vhat, vhat, vhat?

The pharma corps will go broke if they give away plastic vials of sterile water and half dead flu viruses they grow by the lake-full. If they can't afford to pay us 30 bucks per shot for 3 government required shots then they don't get the shots.

They'll die? Yes, maybe but what is your life worth? Surely you can come up with 90 bucks per human to stay alive, can't you?

You dig through open dumps full of toxic waste for recyclables which are turned over to armed gangs who pay you 10 cents per month? Should have gone to college, old boy.

I'm not a big fan of socialized medicine but when life and death healthcare is held hostage by companies who make serious bank, well that's what regulations used to be for.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by fullmoonfairy

This was supposed to be a reply to clouds; sorry for the misplaced looking post. My bad.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
I see reports on the news everyday about this flu. On multiple channels. I can call up a news aggregator and find many articles every day about it.

The "real" impact will only ever be given in confirmed totals. Realistically, and scientifically that is logical.

It is up to us to understand what that means. Confirmed and real totals will NEVER be the same. But governments and scientific organizations cannot report on unconfirmed.

Now, when numbers are being manipulated that's different.

But you can go onto any flu tracker. You can use a news aggregator. You can open the paper. And there it is.

The known Data is available. That people cannot be bothered to turn it into information for themselves by engaging their brain - that's not the fault of the data.

As to an example - see any and all posts claiming that the govenment/media are controlling the masses. People seem to have forgotten that "we" here ARE the masses. Just because most of the hoipolloi cannot be bothered to care or understand, doesn't mean that you are being PREVENTED from understanding.

British news like Sky and BBC, for instance, really aren't reporting facts and figures about this. There's a very, very brief mention every now and again.

Not everyone has access to the internet, or a computer. Unfortunately, those people are only get information from the TV news stations and newspapers and there really isn't very much information available to them.

Intentionally reporting as minimum as possible? I don't know but there is a lack of reporting in the MSM (British - can't speak for other countries). It really isn't a matter of 'can't be bothered' for many, many people. They just don't realise there's anything to keep an eye on.

Personally, I still find it very strange that this was in our faces constantly until it went to Level 5 and then virtually all news stopped.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity
[more)

I can guarentee y'all that those healthy adults among us who pay almost $600.00 for private health care coverage (self-employed) will HAVE to pay through the nose for any "shots" that come our way!
And that we'll be paying for a good number of those who can't or won't take care of their medical needs.

I agree that it's sure a sad state of affairs as to who holds that power of life and dealth...could it be however that THIS is one reason why they aren't handling as a "pandemic" yet?

Because the politics of vaccines and financial profits haven't been irons out over lunch yet?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

"He had a fever in the morning. What it was I don't know. The mother checked it the way mothers do, by putting her cheek to the baby's forehead," said Centorcelli. "Through the day the baby was eating and at night just before 9:30, she brought him in. She checked on the child and he was unresponsive."

Link

I'm actually thinking this may not have been swine flu, it seems far to quick unlike the other cases - i mean it took just one day to die?
If it does come back as H1N1 it is a significant case simply due to the fact the child only displayed symptoms the day it died.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by jonny2410]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
reply to post by Aeons

Dude.........I googled and those were the top two articles written.......

I am done with you on this.....I am not sure why you are here on this thread if you can sit at home and watch the news and pull up a few websites......I presently have a temp of 96.7......Your not going to find why I have influenza with a low grade temp on any of the main stream media outlets where 90% of the masses watch and look.........DONE!

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

I just checked several locations for the news.

CBC.ca - under health

'Still in danger zone,' for swine flu: UN chief

CNN.Com - nothing obvious.

News aggregator (don't know if putting it up will be considered spam) one piece on the main page about H1N1 and big pharm.

Under health There is links to about 300 articles.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Sounds like you went through the mill.........So many of us here have been or are sick..........all with very simular symptoms..........I think we could start our own flu support group........which in many ways we have.......

Hopefully we all live to see the other side of this pandemic...........maybe "what ever we have" will help our immune system down the road.........I know, thats a very positive thought.....

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I just wanted to thank all of those that generously take the time to keep this thread updated daily. I am very concerned about this virus and without you guys I seriously would feel completely alone since when I try to keep others I care deeply about informed I get laughed at or completely ignored because I'm just "over-reacting to nonsense".

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maya00a

Originally posted by Aeons
I see reports on the news everyday about this flu. On multiple channels. I can call up a news aggregator and find many articles every day about it.

The "real" impact will only ever be given in confirmed totals. Realistically, and scientifically that is logical.

It is up to us to understand what that means. Confirmed and real totals will NEVER be the same. But governments and scientific organizations cannot report on unconfirmed.

Now, when numbers are being manipulated that's different.

But you can go onto any flu tracker. You can use a news aggregator. You can open the paper. And there it is.

The known Data is available. That people cannot be bothered to turn it into information for themselves by engaging their brain - that's not the fault of the data.

As to an example - see any and all posts claiming that the govenment/media are controlling the masses. People seem to have forgotten that "we" here ARE the masses. Just because most of the hoipolloi cannot be bothered to care or understand, doesn't mean that you are being PREVENTED from understanding.

British news like Sky and BBC, for instance, really aren't reporting facts and figures about this. There's a very, very brief mention every now and again.

Not everyone has access to the internet, or a computer. Unfortunately, those people are only get information from the TV news stations and newspapers and there really isn't very much information available to them.

Intentionally reporting as minimum as possible? I don't know but there is a lack of reporting in the MSM (British - can't speak for other countries). It really isn't a matter of 'can't be bothered' for many, many people. They just don't realise there's anything to keep an eye on.

Personally, I still find it very strange that this was in our faces constantly until it went to Level 5 and then virtually all news stopped.

Because people didn't want to hear about it.

Everyone does have access. A homeless schizophrenic can go to the Library for an internet access, and POOF there it all is.

Local news didn't care about it in Europe because it wasn't yet local. By the time it was local, the media had already figured out from the North America response that people not only didn't care, they AGGRESSIVELY did not want to hear about it. The media was lambasted here for it - by the "masses." If you care to find local newspapers in North America, online and read their online comments on any H1N1 article, from the first two weeks of May you'll see what I am talking about.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I, personally, would not look for the WHO to change the level for the flu to level 6 until after the holiday Monday.

Memorial Day is a big money maker in the USA and kicks off the summer frivolity.

I can understand governments being slow to sound the warning as it happens every year on the coast during hurricane season.

A few years ago in my area we were told to evacuate as soon as possible.

It did look bad so almost all the residents headed north.

Nothing happened. Not even a breeze hit our town.

We are a tourist area and millions of dollars were lost due to businesses closing, homes being boarded up, and much money spent on fuel and lodging going to a safe area.

Going to level 6 is serious. People cannot afford to miss even one day at work. A level 6, in my opinion will be most difficult for the average working person who is already have a hard time economically.

I, having 7 grandchildren and 1 great granddaughter,would like to do everything possible to protect mine and your families. If that means going to level 6 then so be it.

I fear that it's just like getting a traffic light at a road crossing. A lot more people will have to die before we get level 6.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Ummm...Geez...Google can perform wonders, but, ya have to know what yer lookin' for...

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Reader Question "WHAT CAUSED THE DEADLY 1918 FLU?"
www.brojon.org...

My question: Before there was aspirin and cold and flu meds there was a world wide epidemic of flu that killed millions. It was during the First WW. At that point the only thing they could do was put people to bed and keep them warm. Why did so many die? --- Nancy

Answer:
The source of the "1918 Flu" which is also incorrectly called the "Spanish Flu" has been a medical mystery. But the mystery is solved.

The beginning of the 1918 flu season started in November 1918. This also was the end of WWI marked by Armistice Day November 11, 1918. Thus millions of soldiers from the trenches in Europe all were sent home. What they took with them was normal flu from China which occurs each year, and they also took with them the newly marketed aspirin.

Aspirin was patented by Bayer AG after Dr. Hoffmann's synthesis of acetyl-salicylic-acid in 1899. Bayer mostly marketed its new Aspirin in Germany, but during WWI the use of Aspirin came into general use in the field medical hospitals as the only effective mild pain reliever and a treatment for coughs, colds and fever.
More at Link...

It appears your "advice" is ill conceived and Illogical...a Re-Assessment might be in order...

[edit on 5/19/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakenAware
I just wanted to thank all of those that generously take the time to keep this thread updated daily. I am very concerned about this virus and without you guys I seriously would feel completely alone since when I try to keep others I care deeply about informed I get laughed at or completely ignored because I'm just "over-reacting to nonsense".

Sometime, I'm going to have to sit down and write up how to say things to people so that they will listen to you. I have probably had the same conversation with people that started out the same way, but usually when people walk away from me they walk away thinking and just a bit more concerned than the started off.

There is a "trick" to how to talk to people about what they believe or have been told is nonsense, or when they've been duped by the medium into complacency.

I'll have to think it out and type it up sometime. How to talk about what people think is crazy, and sound sane enough that they listen.

The usual mistake someone makes right at the beginning of talking about this sort of thing to people who aren't well informed, is to be upset seeming. You first mirror what they are saying back to them. Then, appeal to their sense of having been misunderstood/victimized/disrespected when they were in that situation. This changes their "frame."

And remain really calm the whole time you are speaking.

Example -

Yes, some people sure do overreact don't they? Clogging up the ERs with hypochondria! (mirroring. showing comprehension of concerns. buddying up.)

Some of those poor people though, they are probably really sick. There are SIX viruses running around now! how odd is it that there are SIX viruses going around this late? (giving information. demonstrating compassion. drawing into conversation by illiciting response.)

Poor things, I bet they are really scared if their children are young or they have asthma. And the media is telling people that they are insane! Imagine how bad that would be! (demonstrating compassion. projecting blame. reframing into personal experience.)

Those numbers we are hearing are just the tip of the iceberg. Even the WHO was saying that - but no one seems to notice that. (appeal to authourity)

I've heard that people with asthma need to be careful particularly if they seem to have a flu and have trouble breathing, even after they start getting better they really need to get to the hospital right away. (giving information. appealing to concern for loved ones. implied appeal to authority.)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

WHO sees 4.9 billion pandemic flu shots in best-case

Vaccine makers could produce 4.9 billion pandemic flu shots per year in the best-case scenario, the head of the World Health Organization said on Tuesday, as rich and poor countries grappled over limited supplies.

www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
reply to post by Aeons

Ummm...Geez...Google can perform wonders, but, ya have to know what yer lookin' for...

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Reader Question "WHAT CAUSED THE DEADLY 1918 FLU?"
www.brojon.org...

My question: Before there was aspirin and cold and flu meds there was a world wide epidemic of flu that killed millions. It was during the First WW. At that point the only thing they could do was put people to bed and keep them warm. Why did so many die? --- Nancy

Answer:
The source of the "1918 Flu" which is also incorrectly called the "Spanish Flu" has been a medical mystery. But the mystery is solved.

The beginning of the 1918 flu season started in November 1918. This also was the end of WWI marked by Armistice Day November 11, 1918. Thus millions of soldiers from the trenches in Europe all were sent home. What they took with them was normal flu from China which occurs each year, and they also took with them the newly marketed aspirin.

Aspirin was patented by Bayer AG after Dr. Hoffmann's synthesis of acetyl-salicylic-acid in 1899. Bayer mostly marketed its new Aspirin in Germany, but during WWI the use of Aspirin came into general use in the field medical hospitals as the only effective mild pain reliever and a treatment for coughs, colds and fever.
More at Link...

It appears your "advice" is ill conceived and Illogical...a Re-Assessment might be in order...

[edit on 5/19/2009 by Hx3_1963]

asprin, not for cough. When you team it up with large doses of turmeric and serrapeptase you get a significant anti-inflammatory action. If you don't trust asprin, then use a natural COX-2 inhibitor. Holy Basil might suffice if you use large quantities or use a supercritical extract.

top topics

<< 397  398  399    401  402  403 >>

join