It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 398
<< 395  396  397    399  400  401 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Direct from NY, we have a glowing example of the number one mysterious question yet to be answered, IMO. How can this virus have such a wide variety of effects on the population and still be "identical"?

We have an infant who became ill in the a.m. and was dead before midnight yet the three year old sibling, also infected only has a mild case and is sent home to recoup?

I've gotten a variety of answers from different sources, not always in agreement and they've been based on the data we have had at the time since we learned of the disparity in the La Gloria and Mexico City cases.

True to form, the virus seems to have continued playing the same random, spree killer behavior. (As a reminder, in La Gloria the residents became ill, most were treated for secondary pneumonia infections and all recovered except for three infants. A month plus later, the same exact virus hits Mexico City and fills the emergency rooms with dead and dying patients).

I've reached out and pushed hard for a real answer to this question. At this point the few responses claim the difference in results is a difference in early treatment with anti-virals, genetic differences in the victims making them more or less susceptible and yes, the "underlying conditions" routine even though these sources know for a fact it's being used as an excuse and does not apply in all cases. (But, it does in some, they're saying).

I'm not buying the anti-virals thing, it hasn't been a consistent value in the equation from what I can see. Some people treated with them early have still died.

Genetic differences in the victims comes the closest to something I'd buy but we have close family members showing very diverse experiences.

Underlying conditions brings with it something I don't think the people at the WHO realized. I don't see a bunch of elderly people with all kinds of underlying conditions being killed by this flu. So far it's been young people who may or may not have actually had health issues which impacted their ability to survive the virus. Without a believable amount of dead old people that one just isn't going to wash, WHO.

If you start thinking about this one you'll start to go crazy. It's the one thing that makes this virus something to be feared even without a huge body count in the media. Unlike seasonal flu, there is no "at risk group" leaving the rest of us with a high level of assurance we won't die from the flu. It makes this current H1N1 virus more of a "terror weapon" than a disease. . . . .

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

OMG what a load of bull! You poor thing.. couldn't you insist? I can't imagine if I isnisted a UK dr refusing... they do try and rubbish you with lies but if you say I WANT then they try and get....

How awful for you I bet you are worried...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
bitmapped: WV and WY only states without swine flu cases. 1 minute ago from TwitterFon

Two such remote and underpopulated states lead me to believe that they have infections that for the most part have probably not been tested for/reported. Also, I would imagine that many who would seek medical attention would flee to the better hospitals in neighboring states (at least in the case of WV.)

I want to point out that if people are "travelling" and are not residents of that state/province/region that it is likely that they will not be counted in any tally. They will become numbers that are "homeless" and therefore not reported.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
US Centers for Disease Control, Swine flu Director's Update Brief, Day of Planning for an H1N1 Vaccination Campaign, 18 May 2009
Seems the CDC is more interested in the media than what is going on with the swine flu from there daily report.

link   
reply to post by ecoparity

makes my 'crazy' musings seem more probable... Right from word go I was askign about the aparent 20 day gap, the random victims, the health issues, the fact some DR somewhere [lost i my notes] at some point said the virus made some peoples immunity go nutz and others vurtually dissapear... cant find any charts detailng this or any other blood testing results so my 'crazy' idea will remain on my blog lol hidden ..

I hope you had the ginger/garlic soup!! *frowns*

link   
CDC at the moment in press briefing - "we need to be prepared for more deaths"

- what a worrying statement

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
They are investigting reports of a co mrsa h1n1 combination - cdc press conference.

Say it has happened with seasonal flu and so they must be careful and watchful with h1n1.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by jonny2410]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

H1N1 MRSA Combo???? Thats a scary thought.

Need to be prepared for more deaths? I'm wondering if they are easing us in because a lot more are going to be reported over the next few weeks.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by skitzspiricy]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
That's something to be concerned: Chile has now 10 confirmed cases and an outbreak is expected, just in the beggining of the flu season.
About 50 min ago at Andina

Santiago de Chile, may. 19 (ANDINA).- Chile se convirtió este martes en uno de los principales focos de la nueva gripe A en Sudamérica, luego que el total de contagiados llegara a diez.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'll tell ya, it is as though it is something "over there" that is like the "movies" or something for most of the people I know. That is why I said earlier in one of these threads that I'm starting to feel like I am a wierdo or something!

For example, one co-worker was called to pick up her sick son from school. He had ALL of the symptoms. She said there were 3 kids on cots when she got there! I scolded her for coming back to work, and not taking him to the doctor immediately! She took him to her sister's! She wouldn't speak to me for two days because she thought I was insinuating that she was an incompetent mother for not "having any idea he had all of the symptoms. You are a know-it-all!".!!! I could hardly contain my fury!

This is just one example, the others being the usual blank stares and looks of confusion.

So, don't feel bad! I have run into a couple of people who are a little aware, but NOTHING like here on ATS.

I really hope you get to feeling better! I was down for 10 days with a nasty, dragging on sinus infection. Hang in there!

FMF

link   
Here's an update on Mo case:

St. Louis County man with swine flu dies
www.kansascity.com...

Congressman Burgess Warns Swine Flu Could Be 1918 All Over Again
www.foxnews.com...

Four swine flu cases confirmed
news.bbc.co.uk...

Dead German tourist died of pneumonia and common flu : Thai Health Ministry
nationmultimedia.com...

Ohio confirms 13th case of Swine Flu as concern grows across U.S.
www.bizjournals.com...

[edit on 5/19/2009 by Hx3_1963]

link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

One of the reporters asked "do you know anything about some reports that h1n1 could possibly combine with mrsa in cases of people hospitlaized.

The women answered and said it has happened with seasonal flu and that makes it a bit worse so they must be watchful with h1n1.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The information is available. Any person can get ahold of it. A homeless schizophrenic can wander into a library and access it.

No one is KEEPING information away from anyone. That the general population doesn't care and cannot be bothered to look even when it is in front of their face....that isn't the fault of the government or the bureaucracy at any level.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

Did she just say that more than half of the influenza test are positive for the new H1N1 strain?

That would not match the numbers they are providing the media

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Cloudsinthesky]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
CDC are worried that the H1N1 novel virus will perhaps combine with a rarer strain, h3n2 which is resistant tro tamiflu. She says "i would hate to find h1n1 obtains resistence to tamiflu by co-infection with h3n2".

Also -

Widower of H1N1 Victim Denies She Had Other Medical ConditionsWidower of H1N1 victim denies she had other medical conditions

"That's absolutely false. She was a healthy, pregnant woman, eight months pregnant, until she contracted the virus. She became acutely ill but never diagnosed with any major medical complications of any kind," Trunnell explains.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Severe Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Community-Acquired Pneumonia Associated with Influenza --- Louisiana and Georgia, December 2006--January 2007

Staphylococcus aureus infection has been reported infrequently as a cause of community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) and typically has been associated with influenza virus infection or influenza-like illness (ILI).* During the 2003--04 influenza season, methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA) gained attention as a cause of 15 cases of influenza-associated CAP† (1). No formal surveillance has been conducted, and few additional cases of MRSA CAP were reported to CDC during the 2004--05 and 2005--06 influenza seasons. However, in January 2007, CDC received reports of 10 cases of severe MRSA CAP, including six deaths, among previously healthy children and adults in Louisiana and Georgia during December 2006--January 2007. These were the first reported cases of severe MRSA CAP during the 2006--07 influenza season in the two states, and 10 was a higher number than expected for the 2-month period. A case of severe MRSA CAP was defined as pneumonia requiring hospitalization or resulting in the death of a patient from whom a specimen (i.e., sterile site or sputum sample) yielded MRSA when collected

this is not a mutation, it's a co-infection (infection with flu and MRSA). Keep in mind the best place to pick up MRSA is in a hospital.

CDC 2007 MRSA Co infection Reports

[edit on 19-5-2009 by ecoparity]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky

no she just said "it is very widespread now in the United States"

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
The information is available. Any person can get ahold of it. A homeless schizophrenic can wander into a library and access it.

No one is KEEPING information away from anyone. That the general population doesn't care and cannot be bothered to look even when it is in front of their face....that isn't the fault of the government or the bureaucracy at any level.

1. Who are you talking to and what exactly are you talking about?

2. What information are you referring to?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

Oh I am sure he is repling to my post that we can trust the gov/cdc or I should say news releases...

F&^%$# ATS I am going to turn on MSN...........see ya

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
# Illinois: State Officials Confirm 707 Cases of Influenza A (H1N1): Date: May 19, 2009 17:36 UTC Risk: Low Local media sources and the..5 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Al Abbasiyah Fevers Hospital: French Family of Five Tests Negative For Influenza A (H1N1) : Date: May 19, 2009 17:18 UTC Risk: Medium..5 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# London: Four New Confirmed Influenza A (H1N1) Cases Reported: Date: May 19, 2009 17:18 UTC Risk: Medium 24 Dash, a national news sou..5 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Rikers Island: Four Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed : Date: May 19, 2009 16:57 UTC Risk: Medium Multiple media outlets report t..5 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# Nationwide Confirmed Influenza A (H1N1) Case Count Reaches 191; Phone Consultation Service "Inundated"; Face Masks Sold Out; Government R..5 minutes ago from twitterfeed

300 Million Patients
www.newsweek.com...

@ ecoparity:

[edit on 5/19/2009 by Hx3_1963]

new topics

top topics

<< 395  396  397    399  400  401 >>

join