It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 371
<< 368  369  370    372  373  374 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Swine flu tests for 28 Australians ....

"TWENTY-EIGHT people in Australia are awaiting test results for swine flu, Federal Health Minister Nicola Roxon has revealed today."

www.news.com.au...

Oh great!

It was only last night I was saying to the misses how fortunate we are in Australia to have no cases of swine flu. Wake up today, read the online papers to find 28 suspected cases being tested.

Its weird but was at work this morning, and a guy came into the workshop coughing and sneezing (not covering his mouth either, which really pissed me off) and I found myself not only mindful of this, but I actually walked away from him and went into the office until he left.

Whats worse is my misses is a primary school teacher. And every year without fail she brings home a flu during flu season. Its the one thing I fear in her line of work.

Here's to hoping all 28 case tests return negative to swine flu ....

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

State health officials on Friday announced three confirmed cases of swine flu in St. Charles Parish.

St. Charles Parish schools, which have eight days left before summer break, won't cancel classes, Cancienne-Touchard said.

"We'll just continue with our normal cleaning, " she said. "It's what the Office of Public Health recommends." Source

Oh lovely, Mr. Joe, the guy that sits in the janitor's closet drinking whiskey in his coffee during lunch is expected to keep it clean to prevent swine flu?!

I know that one since it's my hometown.

And this is how it's being handled nationwide? Insanity. It's hard enough to believe that the custodians in my school system had opposable thumbs, never mind virus disinfection schools.

Thank goodness my parents took my sister out of that school system years ago.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

Doesn't it make you sick to your stomach? The new policy is .... let all the kids get sick but don't close the schools.

It's freak'n insane.

As i said elsewhere .. we are crap on toast now...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Odd late season surge of seasonal flu activity accompanies swine flu surge
1 hour ago
www.google.com...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
This is probably obvious, but it occurred to me today that the reason I don't see anyone with the flu or know anyone is because of how it seems to be working.

If I understand this, there is a significant incupation period (7-10 days?) where you feel fine (and are contagious). Then, it has a really fast onset to your health. Like wihin hours you are really hit. So if there are people around that I don't know that have been hit they are likely in bed or at the hospital.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of in-between.

Some of you have reported people coughing in your offices, but I simply haven't noticed it anywhere yet, grocery stores, restaurants and even at the mri/x-ray place this evening for my wife. (There was a really large woman there, when she got up I saw she had really long hair (3 feet or more) that was dreadlocked and had some off-yellowish braiding in it - I thought it looked very cool).

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by EDteach

Originally posted by EDteach
Okay, when I highlighted and copied this article, it had a different last sentence. The last sentence said something like, "In a matter of a couple of days, 1000 students, staff, and family members had became ill" weird---I know I read it!

Interesting. I linked to this story earlier in the thread as well, and copy/pasted some quotes from it, including this one:

An estimated 1,000 students, their relatives and staff at the St. Francis Preparatory School fell ill in a matter of days.

Now, if I go to the link I previously posted, I get this article instead:

City defends wait to close schools amid swine flu fears

The wife's criticisms went from this in the original article:

The wife of a Queens assistant principal in critical condition with swine flu said Friday city health officials told him he was "setting off a panic" last week when he expressed concern that the illness had sickened students at his school.

Bonnie Wiener, whose husband, Mitchell, is assistant principal of Susan B. Anthony Intermediate School in Hollis, one of three schools closed by the latest swine flu outbreak, said the city health department denied the principal's request to close the school because of suspected swine flu cases there.

"If he [the principal] was allowed to shut the school down, my husband would not be in this condition," she said.

"He was chastised by the [department] of health or someone higher that he was setting off a panic," Bonnie Wiener said. "The man said there is nothing to worry about."

She said the health department official told her husband, "Even if it is swine flu, it is still diluted."

TO this from the current article:

"I am outraged," she said. "What does it take to close the schools? We can close because of snow but not a disease, which can kill you."

And it completely skipped the son's criticism about the pre-existing conditions being bull#:

Wiener's wife and son disputed Bloomberg's contention Thursday that Mitch Wiener may have had pre-existing health conditions.

"I don't know where people got that," Adam Wiener said Friday morning as he prepared to return to the hospital where the family was keeping vigil.

"The only pre-existing condition he has is gout, which is unrelated to complications he's experienced now."

If you google the original article title at newsday.com, you can see the cached search result, but not the original article - the cached search result just points to the new article. Google didn't have the chance to cache the contents of the article, apparently.

Searching for the original article elsewhere seems futile. It is linked, but the content is not out there.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintrippy

And that's not the only instance of "Cleansing" I've seen/heard of...

More common than we think...they're pretty fast on the draw, as in, putting the screws to whoever put 'em out

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintrippy

Luckily, bits of the story are still out there.

New York Post: Swine flu cases shut down three more schools

Bonnie Wiener, wife of Assistant Principal Mitchell Wiener, said her husband could have not fallen ill -- and ended up on a ventilator -- had the Health Department and Department of Education officials closed IS 238 in Hollis sooner.

"They're trying to make him into a sick, old man," Bonnie Wiener told The Post this morning.

She said her 55-year-old husband -- who has the most severe illness in the city from the virus to date -- had told officials last week that the school should be closed.

Bonnie Wiener said the city "lulled us into a false sense of security" when it came to the swine fever outbreak.

Mayor Bloomberg said yesterday that Wiener may have been suffering from a preexisting condition, but Bonnie Wiener said her husband only suffers from controlled high blood pressure and gout -- but is otherwise in good health.

"He's doing very badly," Bonnie Wiener, a reading teacher at the same school her husband works, said. "He's in critical, critical condition. It's a nightmare I can't wake up from."

The city did eventually take forceful action and closed the schools -- which affects nearly 4,500 students at Wiener's school, along with PS 16 in Corona and IS 5 in Elmhurst -- a stark reversal from what appeared to be waning concern citywide about the virus.

Wiener's kids also came to their father's defense, saying he's not a sick man.

"He does not have any diabetes and does not have any heart issues," said Adam Wiener, 23. "It was very rough last night... He's still in critical condition. I believe it all to be caused by swine flu."

Adam Weiner said because his father has infections in his lungs and has pneumonia, doctors could not inject him with the swine flu medication.

"The level of oxidation of his lungs are low... He does have kidney failure. We are not hopeless yet," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Well I am sick again, the second time in a month and half, and this time is way worse. I seem to remember reading about a pattern similar to this with a lot of people lately.

I woke up this morning feeling like I had been run over by a truck, I had a sore throat last night and that wierd tingling in your ears that seems to happen right before a virus hits but figured it was allergies.

but since this morning ive got a fever, difficulty breathing, throwing up, sore throat, ear pain, and my whole body feels like someone stomped on it with golf cleets on.

and of course it happens on a friday, when I can't go to the doctor unless i go to a walk in clinic which will be packed with other really sick people....Dammitt!!!!

Thank goodness Ive been able to send my son to his dads for the weekend and my husband is off work for the next two days so he can watch the dogs and make me soup and stuff.
But I am really curious to go get tested just to see what the results come back as.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
And here's another one that has the bit about 1000 cases:

NYC mayor says latest flu cases generally mild

An estimated 1,000 students, their relatives and staff at the St. Francis Preparatory School fell ill in a matter of days.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think they just didn't like the headline from the original posted article.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
www.alertnet.org...
Western Japan city to close schools due to new flu

www.twincities.com...
The unusual activity comes as two more U.S. deaths were reported from H1N1 flu — also known as swine flu — bringing the total in the United States to at least five. A 33-year-old man succumbed in Corpus Christi, Texas, on May 6, bringing that state's total to three, while a woman in her late 40s died in Maricopa County in Arizona last week, marking that state's first death. Washington state had previously reported a death.

www.skynews.com.au...
Australia monitoring 28 for swine flu

www.burlingtonpost.com...
Always be vigilant — that’s the message from The Canadian Centre for Emergency Preparedness (CCEP), based in Burlington.
It’s encouraging people to review their emergency preparedness programs due to the H1N1 flu outbreak.

coloradocommunitynewspapers.com...
Swine flu found in local man

By Chris Michlewicz
Published: 05.06.09
A Douglas County man is one of the first people in the state to be diagnosed with the fast-spreading swine flu virus.

Interesting to note the published date says 6th May but from the 16th May paper!!!!!!!!

english.eastday.com...
The following are the latest development on the A/H1N1 flu outbreak worldwide on Saturday Beijing time, according to the World Health Organization and governments' data.

Confirmed deaths: 73 -- 66 in Mexico; five in the United States; one in Canada and one in Costa Rica.

Confirmed cases: at least 7,523 in 37 countries, including 2,895 in Mexico and 496 in Canada. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported a combined 4,714 confirmed and probable cases as most probable cases end up being confirmed.

Ecuador and Malaysia reported their first confirmed cases Friday.

nz.news.yahoo.com...
Near the end of the article this says it all about TPTB and why its being blacked out.

Meanwhile, experts warned that the fallout from the swine flu epidemic is hitting the travel industry hard, and international tourism risks sliding heavily if it is upgraded to a pandemic.

"The probability of a full blown pandemic is relatively low, but there might be another outbreak in full force of swine flu in the next winter in the northern hemisphere," an economist at Britain's Oxford Economics firm, John Walker, told AFP.

If that happened the number of passengers could drop "up to 60 percent," he warned.

[edit on 16-5-2009 by johnb]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by johnb

That post would of been worth 2 flags and 5 stars if such things were possible in "Oz"

Japan Reports Its First Domestic Case of Swine Flu (Update2)
www.bloomberg.com...

[edit on 5/16/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Thanks

Interesting to see that different search engines pick up diff stories

news.xinhuanet.com...
A/H1N1 flu cases reported in 12 Latin American countries

www.jsonline.com...
The number of cases of swine flu in Wisconsin quietly almost doubled this week, and local health officials are discussing a possible investigation into the high number of flu patients in Milwaukee.

A POSSIBLE investigation!!!!

uk.glam.com...

Although previous tests confirmed the Alberta woman who died in April had a mild strain of Influenza A (H1N1), further tests failed to clearly establish the role of the swine flu virus on her death.

Alberta Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Andre Corriveau, in a statement issued Thursday, said, "These results were not unexpected. Some people are more susceptible to the flu than others. In all cases with chronic pre-existing medical conditions, those patients are always at a greater risk, and even when we do further testing, it is not always clear what the immediate cause of death may have been."

[edit on 16-5-2009 by johnb]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by captaintrippy
First time I've heard hallucinations mentioned as a symptom.

I've read that 'confusion' is a symptom. It may be because of high fever.
But at any rate ... confusion and 'hallucinations' could be closely related.

A couple of things can cause confusion /hallucination's associated with the new flu. High Ammonia levels due to the liver's inability to filter toxins, so they just build up, is indicative of liver failure.

Severe dehydration associated with electrolyte imbalance. Sodium and Potassium to be exact. Caused from severe vomiting and/or diarrhea.

Chances are good that he was already in liver failure when he arrived at the hospital, this would explain his marked confusion.

Such a sad story. Can't imagine how I would feel if it were me. Will certainly be in prayer for him and his family.

Pax

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by johnb

Ack...don't be gettin' yer knickers all in a bunch now lad...

'member WHO we're talkin' aboot here...REALLY...WHO!!!

A(H1N1) virus expected to mutate and drug resistant
www.nationmultimedia.com...

Hmmm...

Concerning the Hemo-modulator "...treatment is to convert the blood to a personal vaccine, stimulating the patient's immune system and allowing it to fight back." sounds like his immune system is not working - underlying gout condition is a chronic inflammation - his immune system can't fight back. With respect and humility, this still seems to confirm 1st wave "W" pattern for A/H1N1. peaking mid May in the USA. 1 hour ago · FluTracker · H1N1 FluTracker

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
www.philly.com...

Pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline P.L.C. said yesterday it had received orders from several countries to stockpile pandemic flu vaccine and would start making it as soon as the company received a key ingredient from the World Health Organization.
As swine flu continues to spread worldwide - WHO says 34 countries have reported more than 7,500 cases - health officials are working to decide when to ask drug companies to start making a vaccine to fight the virus.

So GSK need a 'key ingredient' from the WHO to manufacture a vaccine - whats that then - ANTHRAX just to make sure

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by johnb

Or maybe Mercury...or Arsenic???

I'm sure they have a big stock somewhere out there

Flu Scare Turns Some Mexican Resorts Into Virtual Ghost Towns
chattahbox.com...

edmundg74: 1 case of the h1n1 detected on our island.. not good. 5 minutes ago from web

orcfiend: Dang..H1N1 hitting closer to home. Time to start worrying? 8 minutes ago from TweetDeck

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
news.google.co.uk...

2 under observation for swine flu, says DOH
Inquirer.net - ‎6 minutes ago‎
By Dona Pazzibugan MANILA, Philippines—The Department of Health said two persons were still being evaluated for possible influenza A (H1N1) as of Saturday, ...Influenza A: Second case surfaces in Penang

New Straits Times - ‎7 minutes ago‎
The Health Ministry today announced that the country's second case of Influenza A (H1N1) has been detected in Penang as the authorities continue to trace ...First H1N1 positive case in India

Press Information Bureau (press release) - ‎7 minutes ago‎
His samples have tested positive for Influenza A [H1N1]. He is on treatment with Oseltamivir and presently afebrile. All his local contacts have been traced ...Tight Screening Needed To Check Spread Of H1N1, Says Najib

Bernama - ‎7 minutes ago‎
... from the United States and several other countries affected by the influenza A (H1N1) pandemic, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said today. ...First swine flu case

Seems to be picking up steam again

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Deadly second wave
The second wave of the 1918 pandemic was much deadlier than the first. During the first wave, which began in early March, the epidemic resembled typical flu epidemics. Those at the most risk were the sick and elderly, and younger, healthier people recovered easily. But in August, when the second wave began in France, Sierra Leone and the United States,[39] the virus had mutated to a much more deadly form. This has been attributed to the circumstances of the first World War.[40] In civilian life evolutionary pressures favor a mild strain: those who get really sick stay home, but those mildly ill continue with their lives, go to work and go shopping, preferentially spreading the mild strain. In the trenches the evolutionary pressures were reversed: soldiers with a mild strain remained where they were, while the severely ill were sent on crowded trains to crowded field hospitals, spreading the deadlier virus. So the second wave began and flu quickly spread around the world again.[41] It was the same flu, in that those who recovered from first-wave infections were immune, but it was far more deadly, and the most vulnerable people were those like the soldiers in the trenches—young, otherwise healthy, adults.[42] Consequently, during modern pandemics, health officials pay attention when the virus reaches places with social upheaval, looking for deadlier strains of the virus.[41]

Know your history people! The Spanish Flu started out eerily similar.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Dualing Posts!!!! I love it!

India confirms first case of swine flu
news.yahoo.com...
www.usatoday.com...

Na Na...Na Na..Na...

Edit: check yer u2u's...same 4 johnb...

new topics

top topics