It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 370
<< 367  368  369    371  372  373 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Navy Updates Number of Confirmed H1N1 Cases to 50 Sailors
www.navy.mil...

Hmmm...

Preliminary study findings suggest Mexicans may be genetically susceptible to the H1N1 virus
Wed May 13, 2009
www.worldhealth.net...

In a landmark study conducted by Mexico's National Institute of Genomic Medicine (INMEGEN), researchers examined the genetic composition of 300 Mexican Mestizos - people of mixed European and Amerindian ancestry who represent more than 80 percent of Mexico's population - from six geographically distant states in Mexico. They also looked at 30 members of Amerindian descent from the indigenous Zapotecas group in the state of Oaxaca. As they discovered, the genetic make-up of these two populations is significantly different from three other known human genetic subgroups documented through the historic International HapMap Project.

The goal of the research was to determine the "comparability of Latino genomes to others in the global search for health-related genes throughout humanity." While their findings are preliminary, the results of the study may one day help explain why the H1N1 flu was deadlier in Mexico. Says Dr. Gerardo Jimenez-Sanchez of INMEGEN, who led the research team, "It is not possible today to say genetic variation is responsible for the unique H1N1 Influenza A mortality rate in Mexico. However, knowledge of genomic variability in the Mexican population can allow the identification of genetic variations that confer susceptibility to common diseases, including infections such as the flu." And he adds, "It will also help develop pharmacogenomics to help produce medicines tailored to people of a specific genetic group, to the creation of drugs that are both safer and more effective."
More at Link...

[edit on 5/15/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adrifter
reply to post by sonjah1

In addition to that extreme fever is not associated with the normal seasonal flu. A fever over 103 or so, is basically frying your brain man.. Your immune system is in a fight for its life.. Erm anyhow.. I agree the authorities won't be able to keep quiet about this virus for much longer, or at least not talk about it. I am just fascinated that after the vp of America made his down to Earth statement about how he felt about the flu, they broke it down. Unless you have the internet your in a black out folks. Maybe get a water downed story about it via the MSM, or AP controlled newspapers.. I predicted this crap in the first pages of this thread.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Adrifter]

Great insight early on, then

Please keep up the good work in this thread.

I agree w/you completely on the shut-up, black-out tactics of TPTB

~

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Swine flu virus retrieved from pigs on Alta farm closely matches human virus
2 hours ago
www.google.com...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Oh great, the gene most sensitive to mutation is the one identical to the one found in the Mexican strain of the flu? Did I read that right?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by fullmoonfairy

*I believe* that's what they're implying, but, it's so hard to decipher Sci-Speak and what-not...???

Washington state's confirmed swine flu cases at 361
seattletimes.nwsource.com...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
Swine flu virus retrieved from pigs on Alta farm closely matches human virus
2 hours ago
www.google.com...

Not something that we want to see
if it is able to jump back and fourth the mutations could be really crazy. Lets just hope that is a fluke and we dont see it again.

Man the cases in Humans is just sky rocketing.. I dont want to see what is going to be happening in the next few weeks.

This seems to be like a nightmare comming true.

In my dreams I am telling everyone I know and not a single person is believing me even though there are bodies everywhere.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Principal's wife----Speaking to reporters Friday, Wiener's wife Bonnie said the city failed to act swiftly when students began to fall ill.

"I am outraged," she said. "What does it take to close the schools? We can close because of snow but not a disease which can kill you."

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, appearing with Frieden outside an Elmhurst diner Friday, defended waiting to close the school until later, saying school closures aren't taken lightly.

"We have to make decisions on each school individually and if you close the school it doesn't mean that people aren't going to get sick," Bloomberg said. "Each school is different and we will evaluate."

IS 238 officials notified the health department on May 6 about sick students, city officials said. Seven students were swabbed the next day, and four were considered probable by May 8. The cases were confirmed last weekend and school officials were notified Monday, three days before health officials closed the school Thursday, officials said.

On Thursday, doctors confirmed that Wiener had swine flu.

Mitchell Wiener was in critical condition Friday with kidney failure, dehydration and a lung infection. He is on a breathing tube, his family said.

"He's very bad," said Bonnie Wiener, 48, a reading teacher at her husband's school. "It's a nightmare."

Wiener began feeling sick the evening of May 8 and had a fast-moving fever through the weekend, his family said.

Wiener's son, Adam, 23, on Friday missed his last day as a student teacher at Lawrence Road Middle School in the Uniondale School District, to be with this father at the hospital.

In a statement, the district said it had been told that "a student teacher has been exposed" to the virus. "He has not yet exhibited any symptoms," the district statement said.

Pervaiz Shallwani and staff writer Jennifer Sinco Kelleher contributed to this story.

Okay, when I highlighted and copied this article, it had a different last sentence. The last sentence said something like, "In a matter of a couple of days, 1000 students, staff, and family members had became ill" weird---I know I read it!

[edit on 15-5-2009 by EDteach]

[edit on 15-5-2009 by EDteach]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Just thinking out loud here...

Ya know what else is kinda scary?

If they're pretty much cought up from the backlog of samples sent in...

And...they're not testing the general population now...

Then these increasing numbers must be from more serious/hospitalization cases??? Hmmm...

Does that make any sense to Y'all?

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

That is what I was wondering. are these backlogged cases or are they new ones that are being tested because they are so bad. I am afraid we will never know until people like the vice principles wife start to speak up. I really hope more do like she did and stand up and say this is BS!!!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Then these increasing numbers must be from more serious/hospitalization cases??? Hmmm...

Bingo!

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 15-5-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Their lying. Sec. of Health and the cdc and the WHO, are not to organized when it comes to getting their information straight. For instance a few weeks back the sec of health said the vaccine was being produced quickly, yet the WHO said they were having problems farming the vaccine. etc. etc. I am just wondering if the people best qualified to deal with this virus strand is on the job, or are they just people that got special favors or got the job to be politically correct or for affirmative action or whatever, cuzz I see this, a bunch of civilians on the web seem to be coming up with more information then these idiots getting paid to provide answers. I see your angle, until we can get more on the symtoms or seeing people sick or getting 20/20 to do stories on the ones sick so we can see first hand, we are playing the jig saw puzzle. yet when the disease kills its respiratory. Whatever precondition symptoms you have to make your lungs fill with fluid and drown you, that must suck. Chances are its sending people to the hospital not to mention I am sure people are freaking out a bit when they get a confirmation they have the h1n1, if I did I would be headed to the hospital as well, so that may be a factor too, H3..

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

This has been on my mind also the last couple of days. I speculate that many of them are still from the first week when most were being tested and the rest, the more serious.

I took Eco's advice and went an got a pneumonia shot today. I went to the state health clinic due to it being across the street from work and to avoid the nasty copay. When I got there, I began asking the nurse whether it was recommended for children to get the shot. I explained my concern of the H1N1 virus and that I hoped this may perhaps offer some protection from worst-case situations. I stated I thought it could not hurt as I have had pneumonia twice in the last year and a half. She said there was a doctor present and said she wished to speak to him and left for about ten minutes. When she returned, she stated that she had the same concerns. She said that even though she attends daily meetings on the virus and her current position, she was frustrated by the public's lack of concern. She stated that she is telling people "This is serious--this has the potential to kill our children... 36,000 dead children is far different that 36,000 elderly ill." She was upset. The she said "the doctor said that 'SOMETHING HAS BEEN GOING DOWN THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS'". She left that for my interpretation. Her last statement was, " I think I will get a shot too."

NOTE: During the conversation, she also said that even though our community had no reported cases, it was indeed in our town and that our city too was only testing the serious cases.

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

*On that note*..

I know this isn't the place, but I had a dream experience five years ago that keeps playing over and over now...Yell at me if you like, it's ok, I expect it.
I was taken into a building that was one long hallway inside, the walls were dark green. All along the "hall" were rooms with people sitting on examining tables, dressed in medical gowns. I could see in each room as I walked down the hall.

I got into "my" room, some doctor came in, and took out a very long hypo needle.I was very frightnened, and asked "where am I?, why are you putting a needle in my arm?..I'm not sick!"

He replied, "it is your time, we can't help you anymore. This is where we bring people when it is their time"....

You can guess this has stayed with me and I have been thinking about this dream a LOT lately. I was sick to my stomach when I woke up and really afraid that it was telling me I was going to die soon...

I don't expect any answers or comments but I just have been playing this over and over, and told it to my husband again this week. He gives me worried looks..
I just wonder if this was something that was warning me for things to come. I should probably lay off of the flu info!

No, but really, I just felt compelled to put this on "paper"....

Thanks for listening!
FMF

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by EDteach

All I can say Is *WOW*...

Sorry for the one line...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Mild U.S. Swine Flu Cases May Exceed Official Tally
www.nytimes.com...

The real number of swine flu cases in the United States could be “upwards of 100,000,” a top public health official estimated on Friday — far higher than the official count of 7,415 cases confirmed by laboratories.

The official, Dr. Daniel Jernigan, head of flu epidemiology for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said at a news conference that the official number gave an inaccurate picture of the outbreak because so few mildly sick people were being tested.

He added that flu was more prevalent than usual, “something we would not normally expect at this time of year.” But he emphasized that most cases were mild. There have been only 173 hospitalizations and 5 deaths reported to the disease centers.
More at Link...

[edit on 5/15/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Adrifter

Pulmonary edema is the condition of which you speak... and yes if this current outbreak turns bad, I expect that will be the major killer here.

We can only hope that the favorable odds of this thing not mutating help and this thing blows over within a few months.

I only hope we do not see widespread infection within Vietnam.

[edit on 15-5-2009 by Brian777]

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Hmmm...great...

A New, New H1N1 in Mexico?
May 15, 2009
blogs.sciencemag.org...

This odd exchange took place at today’s press conference with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

David Brown, The Washington Post: There’s a report that there is yet another new H1N1 virus that has been found in the states of Durango, Zacatecas, and Jalisco that is distinct from both this swine H1N1 and the seasonal Brisbane H1N1. Have you heard of this and can you tell us anything about this?

Daniel Jernigan, CDC’s deputy director of influenza division: We’ve heard of some reports about that, but I’ve not had any direct information about the specifics of that case. There’s ongoing dialog between us and the folks that are in Mexico, and as we know more about that, we’ll be able to let people know.

ScienceInsider is investigating but has yet to learn anything substantive. It was aired in a public venue, though, and likely will receive media attention, regardless of whether it turns out to be false.

—Jon Cohen

Update (6:44EDT, 15 May): “We heard a rumor but think it may be a misinterpretation of some lab data by a non-lab person,” Nancy Cox, head of CDC’s influenza division, tells ScienceInsider. “We are following up.”

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

We are just crap on toast now ...

Ya'll - second wave due in 2 months ...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
H1N1 is continuing to challenge those in Northeast Wisconsin, this time modifying a high school graduation. Saint Lawrence Seminary High School in Mount Calvary has two confirmed cases of the virus, but school leaders feel more may be ill. ABC News

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by fullmoonfairy

I dont want to get off topic either but, thanks for sharing that dream. I dont remember my dreams ever but this one sticks out.

There are a lot of interpretations of what dreams mean. A lot of people state that most of our "scary Dreams" are based off of our subconscious and current fears and nothing more.

If that is the case then that is why I have had mine so much over the last few weeks.

This entire flu thing is terrifying to me, I dont think I have felt this scared and powerless in my 35 years.

I just hope this all turns out ok, but I fear, that will not be the case and am trying to get as prepared as I can. I just want to protect my wife and 3 yr old son.

I get the feeling my wife thinks I am going crazy and that is scaring the # out of me as to how serious she is now taking me on this

Sorry to ramble on............

new topics

top topics

<< 367  368  369    371  372  373 >>

join