It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 351
<< 348  349  350    352  353  354 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Information taken from Nurse.com - a course on "Are you prepared for a H1N1 (Swine)flu pandemic?

So from what I've read on this course - we are screwed if this becomes a lethal pandemic. Not enough medical supplies to care for those who get sick and guess what,
no one to take care of the sick.

Hospital beds/supplies: In a severe pandemic, millions of desperately ill people needing hospitalization will quickly overwhelm the healthcare system to the point of collapse. There will be an immediate shortage of hospital beds; critical supplies (surgical gloves, masks, gowns, IV bags, and antibiotics for the bacterial pneumonia that so often follows severe flu; and trained staff to care for patients.4,11 For example, in the U.S., there are about 965,300 staffed hospital beds — not nearly enough.4 During the peak week of a pandemic, the following numbers of staffed beds and ventilators would be needed in the U.S. for influenza patients alone:11
191% of current non-ICU beds
461% of ICU beds
198% of all available ventilators
Projections of hospitalizations are only estimates. However, the gap between our current resources and our needs is staggering. These numbers assume that 25% to 30% of the U.S. population will fall sick and that illnesses will be spaced over eight weeks. It is expected that even in the peak weeks of a pandemic, no more than 10% of a community’s population will be ill at any one time.4,20
Our healthcare system is poorly prepared to handle a disaster. Managed care and cuts in government reimbursement have financially squeezed hospitals. Nearly one-third of U.S. hospitals are losing money, and another third operate at or near the break-even point.21 What’s more, a study by the Institute of Medicine found that the U.S. emergency medical system does not have the capacity to respond to large disasters or epidemics and is on the verge of collapse.

Critical shortage of staff: During an influenza pandemic, many healthcare providers may choose to stay at home because of family responsibilities, illness, or fear of contagion. Surveys in Maryland and New York found that nearly half of public health workers would be unwilling to report to work during an outbreak of an untreatable infectious disease.23 For the healthcare providers who would remain to care for patients during a flu pandemic, the risk of infection is likely to be significantly increased by a lack of personal protective equipment. Supply chain problems are expected to develop once a pandemic begins, and most hospitals, with their “just-in-time delivery” of supplies, have not stockpiled PPE. Without N95 masks, goggles, and gloves, will healthcare workers put themselves at risk taking care of infectious patients?

Their advice to Nurses? Take care of yourself and family - with a 2 week-1 month supply of food, medicine and water. Now how many people are going to be prepared? Not many, as most people don't take the current situation seriously. I've got to say this is depressing as hell.

Link to course

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
New cases reported in Thailand, Cuba, and Finland... special Reuters Swine Flu page...

www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Pardon this Re-Post...

Someone pointed this out in the comment section of this article...Hmmm...

Opinions???

Update On Swine Flu (Influenza A H1N1) Infections - California and Texas, April 2009
April 26th 2009 01:00 AM
www.scientificblogging.com...

~
Secuence of artificial hibridization of new virus called “New Swine Influenza” done in the General Health Laboratorios, Trípoli, Lybia. (Ibn Hayan Project) in June/2008.

Materials:

1) Live Simple (In Tissue Culture) Human Influenza.(H3N2) (Source Bragstad)

2) Live Simple ( In TC.) Aviar influenza (H5N1) (Source Viseshakul)

3) Live Simple (In TC ) Swine Influenza.(H1N1) (Source Sakamoto)

Methods. (Annex 002 detailed)

Low magnetic field bio-reactor in human tissue culture.

(H3N2)Segment PB2 (Transcriptase Bind)
(H5N1) Segment HA (Haemagglutinin)
(H1N1) Segment M2
(Membrane protein)

mNRNA (+)
vRNA (-)
cRNA (+)

Fusion (uncoating)
Fusion (uncoating)
Fusion (Uncoating)

The hybrid strain “Al Najem” 0281. was selected.

Packed in desodorant spray cans .

Path of fedayeens with “Al Najem” virus : Trípoli --Panama--Mexico City – El Paso –San Francisco-
(Ad libitum) (Feb./2009)

(Contact e-mail to Ali Suleiman : info@gaddaficharity.org)

Comm. Send in Panama City.

Anonymous (not verified) | 04/30/09 | 13:44 PM

* Reply to This »
* Link
More at Link...

#H1N1 case alert: Jerusalem, Israel: 1 probable case.4 year old boy.Source: Qatar News Agency (Arabic) (English)Date: 13..4 minutes ago from twitterfeed

[edit on 5/13/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloudsinthesky
[more

biosafety level 3 (BSL-3) laboratory.

There was another, faster way CDC scientists could create the mix, too. Called reverse genetics, it involves piecing together a new virus with genes from the H5N1 and H3N2 viruses. Reverse genetics had already been used successfully to create H5N1 candidate vaccines in several laboratories,

I take great issue that this has been done in a biosafety lab level 3 and not a 4 lab!!!! Are they insane?!! Anyway please see the correlation between the 2 articles.

The 1918 Influenza:

when closely related influenza viruses (now known to be H1N1 viruses) were isolated, first from pigs and shortly thereafter from humans. Seroepidemiologic studies soon linked both of these viruses to the 1918 pandemic (8). Subsequent research indicates that descendants of the 1918 virus still persists enzootically in pigs. They probably also circulated continuously in humans, undergoing gradual antigenic drift and causing annual epidemics, until the 1950s. With the appearance of a new H2N2 pandemic strain in 1957 ("Asian flu"), the direct H1N1 viral descendants of the 1918 pandemic strain disappeared from human circulation entirely, although the related lineage persisted enzootically in pigs. But in 1977, human H1N1 viruses suddenly "reemerged" from a laboratory freezer (9). They continue to circulate endemically and epidemically.

link:[www.cdc.gov...]

In 1995, a scientific team identified archival influenza autopsy materials collected in the autumn of 1918 and began the slow process of sequencing small viral RNA fragments to determine the genomic structure of the causative influenza virus (10). These efforts have now determined the complete genomic sequence of 1 virus and partial sequences from 4 others. The primary data from the above studies (11–17) and a number of reviews covering different aspects of the 1918 pandemic have recently been published (18–20) and confirm that the 1918 virus is the likely ancestor of all 4 of the human and swine H1N1 and H3N2 lineages, as well as the "extinct" H2N2 lineage. No known mutations correlated with high pathogenicity in other human or animal influenza viruses have been found in the 1918 genome, but ongoing studies to map virulence factors are yielding interesting results. The 1918 sequence data, however, leave unanswered questions about the origin of the virus (19) and about the epidemiology of the pandemic.

link:[www.cdc.gov...]
The following took place in a level 4 Biosafety lab

Study uncovers a lethal secret of 1918 influenza virus

The study "proves the 1918 virus was indeed different from all of the other flu viruses we know of," says Kawaoka, a professor in the UW-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine and at the University of Tokyo.

The new study, conducted at the Public Health Agency of Canada's National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg, Manitoba, utilized the 1918 flu virus, which has been reconstructed by researchers using genes obtained from the tissues of victims of the great pandemic in REVERSE GENETICS a process that enables scientists to make fully functioning viruses.

"In 1918, the existence of viruses had barely been recognized. In fact, the influenza virus wasn't identified until 1933. Thanks to recent technological advancements, we are now able to study this virus and how it wreaked havoc around the globe," explains Darwyn Kobasa, research scientist with the Public Health Agency of Canada and lead author of the new study. "This research provides an important piece in the puzzle of the 1918 virus, helping us to better understand influenza viruses and their potential to cause
pandemics.

By infecting monkeys with the virus, the team was able to show that the 1918 virus prompted a deadly respiratory infection that echoed historical accounts of how the disease claimed its victims.

Importantly, the new work shows that infection with the virus prompted an immune response that seems to derail the body's typical reaction to viral infection and instead unleashes an attack by the immune system on the lungs. As immune cells attack the respiratory system, the lungs fill with fluid and victims, in essence, drown. The mechanisms that contribute to the lethality of the virus were uncovered by University of Washington researchers using functional genomics, a technique in which researchers analyze the gene functions and interactions.

Learning more about the virulence mechanisms of the 1918 flu virus may help researchers understand how to keep the virus from causing such a severe immune response.

"This study in macaques, combined with our earlier research showing the host response in mice infected with the 1918 flu, suggests that the host immune response is out of control in animals infected with the virus," said Michael G. Katze, professor of microbiology at the University of Washington in Seattle, who led the functional genomics portion of the new study and led the previous mouse-based study. "Our analysis revealed potential mechanisms of virulence, which we hope will help us develop novel antiviral strategies to both outwit the virus and moderate the host immune response."

The same excessive immune reaction is characteristic of the deadly complications of H5N1 avian influenza, the strain of bird flu present in Asia and which has claimed nearly 150 human lives but has not yet shown a capacity to spread easily among people.

"What we see with the 1918 virus in infected monkeys is also what we see with H5N1 viruses," Kawaoka says, suggesting that the ability to modulate immune response may be a shared feature of the most virulent influenza viruses.

In the new study, conducted in a high-level biosafety laboratory (BSL 4) at the Public Health Agency of Canada's National Microbiology Laboratory, seven primates were infected with the reconstructed 1918 virus.Clinical signs of disease were apparent within 24 hours of infection and within eight days euthanization was necessary. The rapid course of the disease mirrors how quickly the disease ran its course in its human victims in 1918.

Upon infection, the virus grew rapidly in the infected animals, suggesting the agent somehow sets the stage for virulent infection: "Somehow, early in infection, this virus does something to the host that allows it to grow really well," says Kawaoka. "But we don't know what that is."

Knowing that the virus does something early in infection to trigger such a devastating immune response may provide biomedical researchers with clues about how to intervene and stop or mitigate the virus' potentially lethal effects, Kawaoka says.

"Things may be happening at an early time point (in infection), but we may be able to step in and stop that reaction."

link:[news.bio-medicine.org...]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lunieri
Information taken from Nurse.com - a course on "Are you prepared for a H1N1 (Swine)flu pandemic?

So from what I've read on this course - we are screwed if this becomes a lethal pandemic. Not enough medical supplies to care for those who get sick and guess what,

As a nurse who is now a stay at home mom, I can tell you there has been a profound nursing shortage since the mid 90's. This is no joke!! If all comes to fruition, based on this alone, many, many will die!!

Virginia tops out at number 2 for not having enough hospital beds in the event of a pandemic. Guess that makes us the first place loser!!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Part of being prepared, be it for this outbreak or the next one (sooner or later you're going to face one that's much deadlier - that's a fact of human history) means taking steps to protect yourself and your family / cohabitants from infection and also having the supplies on hand to provide medical care for everyone.

We've known for a long time that if / when the real pandemic strikes the medical system will be buried in short order. You need to have the capability to isolate someone who is ill and care for them without spreading the infection. You need to be able to rehydrate them and also assist them with basic life support (ventilators).

The ability to monitor a patient, blood pressure, pulse, respiration and fluid intake / loss along with the ability to know what the monitored stats indicate and how to treat them should be part of your basic medical library. If you're not prepared for all of this you're not prepared, period.

If you're counting on the healthcare system to save you and yours the surprise in store for you may be very unpleasant.

Most of my contacts have been working on obtaining vaccination for pneumonia for quite a while now. Walgreens has the correct vaccine in stock and will administer it for anyone over 14 years of age in locations which provide vaccination service.

I'm still suffering a pretty severe respiratory infection so getting the vaccine is not a good idea for me but for those of you being proactive I thought the information might do you some good.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

Speaking of Ventilators...

In a pinch would a CPAP Machine be of any help at all?

Using one at it's highest pressure settings "seems" to force a good amount of air into my Lungs...opinion?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Scientist arrested for smuggling vials used in Ebola research into US...

www.breitbart.com...

... things are getting out of the labs rather easily, it seems.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

ecoparity Please try colostrum 3 grams twice a day it will knock it out really fast what do you have to loose but 25 bucks. Any major heath food store will have it.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

Speaking of Ventilators...

In a pinch would a CPAP Machine be of any help at all?

Using one at it's highest pressure settings "seems" to force a good amount of air into my Lungs...opinion?

I don't think so, it has to replicate respiration not just blowing air constantly.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Wednesday, 13 May 2009

New York Times...

topics.nytimes.com...

Novel H1N1 Swine Flu Highlights...

* Many people suffering from swine influenza, even those who are severely ill, do not have fever, an odd feature of the new virus that could increase the difficulty of controlling the epidemic.

* The first case of swine flu in China was confirmed as the epidemic continued moving around the world, with the World Health Organization reporting about 4,700 laboratory-confirmed cases in 30 countries.

-------- more from a different website...

The Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy...

CIDRAP..

www.cidrap.umn.edu...

forget about the development of a severity index... apparently it's a no go...

"May 13, 2009 (CIDRAP News) – A World Health Organization (WHO) official today signaled that the agency is stepping back from plans to develop a way to grade pandemic severity, because its experts believe severity will vary from place to place, making the development of a severity index difficult and its use impractical."

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
North Dakota has a second probable case of the swine flu.

The Health Department is identifying the person only as a resident of Ward County. The first probable case was in Burleigh County.

State Epidemiologist Kirby Kruger says the second person, like the first, was not hospitalized and is recovering at home.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by lunieri

I'll try to gauge my sil's reaction to this. She's an RN on the east coast. She freaked us out anyway when she took a trip to Japan last week.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Swine Flu Vaccine Pushed as Severity Rates High in Studies

A study in the May 11 edition of the journal Science found that 4 of every 1,000 people infected with the bug in Mexico by late April died, and the WHO said the virus “appears to be more contagious” than seasonal flu.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
ATS needs to add a way to "flag" individual posts within a thread that a user determines to be "critical". It would have been a great way to mark individual posts in this monster of a thread. I'm thinking of the posts a few other people and myself have made sharing inside information, the goal being to make it easer to go back and compare them once that back channel info is released to the press.

A previous post made by one of these other users would be flagged if I could do so (yes I know I can start it but that doesn't help me keep track of it). Maybe I'll start copying the URL to these type of posts into text editor so I can track them offline.

The post was to relay a strange comment left on some science blog. I've looked at the comment and passed it on to a couple of my sources and they found it worth keeping note of:

Take a look at this comment on this blog, right now it's second to the bottom of the page:
www.scientificblogging.com...

Secuence of artificial hibridization of new virus called “New Swine Influenza” done in the General Health Laboratorios, Trípoli, Lybia. (Ibn Hayan Project) in June/2008.

Materials:

1) Live Simple (In Tissue Culture) Human Influenza.(H3N2) (Source Bragstad)

2) Live Simple ( In TC.) Aviar influenza (H5N1) (Source Viseshakul)

3) Live Simple (In TC ) Swine Influenza.(H1N1) (Source Sakamoto)

Methods. (Annex 002 detailed)

Low magnetic field bio-reactor in human tissue culture.

(H3N2)Segment PB2 (Transcriptase Bind)
(H5N1) Segment HA (Haemagglutinin)
(H1N1) Segment M2
(Membrane protein)

mNRNA (+)
vRNA (-)
cRNA (+)

Fusion (uncoating)
Fusion (uncoating)
Fusion (Uncoating)

The hybrid strain “Al Najem” 0281. was selected.

Packed in desodorant spray cans .

Path of fedayeens with “Al Najem” virus : Trípoli --Panama--Mexico City – El Paso –San Francisco-
(Ad libitum) (Feb./2009)

(Contact e-mail to Ali Suleiman : info@gaddaficharity.org)

Comm. Send in Panama City.

So...
Hopefully everyone has made a mental note of the content from that post. Based on my own assessment of it and the advice of my contacts this may be one of those items which proves to be "predictive" in nature.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Washington Post now reporting 6,080 cases worldwide...

www.washingtonpost.com...

"There are now 33 countries reporting an estimated total of 6,080 confirmed swine flu cases, including 3,009 in 45 U.S. states, 2,446 in Mexico and 358 in Canada. But the death total is relatively low _ 65, of which 60 were in Mexico, three in the U.S., one in Canada and one in Costa Rica."

"And in China, hundreds of people have been quarantined inside hotels, hospitals, and homes after they came in contact with several infected plane or train travelers from Canada and U.S. The U.S. Embassy said Americans are among those quarantined."

"There is a danger the virus will mutate into something more dangerous _ perhaps by combining with the more deadly but less easily spread bird flu virus circulating in Asia and Africa, according to experts at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

"In Mexico's Baja California state, on the U.S. border, 5,689 children were turned away from schools when classes resumed because they had symptoms like runny noses, headaches or sore throats, the state education department reported Tuesday."

(bold added by me)

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Confirmed cases of A/H1N1 flu rise to 60 in Florida

and see this site for state by state totals, I didn't realize that Illinois and Wisconsin had the largest outbreak of H1N1 in the US.
USA ill-equipped for a swine flu pandemic, experts fear

If this thing was deadly, we'd all be locked in our houses right now, but with the media hype gone, we all continue our daily lives, I just hope people will not quickly forget about washing their hands and practicing good hygiene and sanitation habits.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
And now for my own contribution to the "inside" information to keep track of for future reference when it eventually makes it's way into the mainstream media....

The subject of inquiry was in regards to the genetic assessment which claims the virus was incubated in eggs, a practice common in labs which develop viral batches for experimentation, weaponization or vaccines. As we all know the WHO is examining the paper released by the scientist who made this claim as the CDC has already sent the lead of the flu team up front to poo poo the claim prior to reading it.

The CDC talking head has taken the position that:

There is no way to be able to discern between a virus which has been incubated and one that has not.

One of my contacts, who is busy dissecting the virus and running it's tiny bits through folding programs had this to say:

The statement made by the CDC is not exactly correct. We can extract each protein in the virus and build a "tree" of the relationships. When we compare the trees we can easily determine if the virus evolved naturally or artificially. A synthetic virus, made in a laboratory will not have a "natural" evolutionary path.

Disclaimer: I've tried to translate the statement I was given into something approaching English. Any weirdness would be the fault of myself and the online Roget's Thesaurus.

Make note of this, please and keep it in mind as they either bury the analysis story in the media or try to BS the public with smoke, mirrors and dancing monkeys.

[edit on 13-5-2009 by ecoparity]

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
2-hour WHO teleconference 14 May 2009 to focus on vaccine...

www.bloomberg.com...

"WHO’s teleconference is scheduled for two hours and will be chaired by David Salisbury, head of the U.K.’s immunization program. After the meeting, a panel of 12 vaccine experts from the WHO, the United Nations’ health agency, and other organizations may make a recommendation on vaccine production to the agency’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts, or SAGE. SAGE will consider making a recommendation about a vaccine to Margaret Chan, director general of the WHO."

Pneumonia countermeasures for healthcare workers discussed...

"Public health advisers on CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices met yesterday to discuss whether pneumonia caused by bacteria called pneumococci is a significant complication of swine flu infection, Schaffner said. They may recommend the U.S. government purchase and stockpile pneumococcal vaccine for use in health-care workers likely to be exposed to swine flu, he said."

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Yes, this comment is interesting in it's obscurity. It's curious that this does not seem to be posted anywhere else on the net at the moment. A little googling comes up with a few things...

Proliferation (Libya), Biological: This is a report from Janes.com, self-described as "a leading global information provider, offering unrivaled intelligence, consultancy, and advertising solutions to the defence, national security, law enforcement, public safety and transport sectors." More detail at Wikipedia. This report is dated Feb 23, 2009.

The General Health Laboratories in Tripoli and the Ibn Hayan Project are mentioned...

Until 2003, Libya's BW programme was centred at the General Health Laboratories medical facility near Tripoli. One secret programme, code-named 'Ibn Hayan', attempted to produce warheads filled with anthrax and botulinum toxin.

Libya's BW research programme at the General Health Laboratories supposedly received assistance from the Iraqi government as well. Other allegations claim that the Libyan government attempted to acquire BW from Cuba in 2002.There is scattered evidence that Libya might have assisted foreign governments in researching and developing BW.

The sources listed in the comment seem to be names of influenza experts, specifically:
Karoline Bragstad
Nareerat Viseshakul and possibly
Shinobu Sakamoto. I am less sure of Sakamoto, because there seem to be many virologists by that name.

"Ali Suleiman" seems to be a common name, but may be Mr. Ali Suleiman Aujali, Minister, Charge D'Affaires Ad Interim, Embassy of the Libyan Arab, as mentioned directly bekiw gaddaficharity here.

Note that "fedayeen" is defined as:

(plural) Arab guerrillas who operate mainly against Israel

Meanwhile, Gaddafi Charity describes itself as:

Gaddafi International Foundation for Charitable Associations and Development Corporation is a global non-governmental humanitarian and development activities in the social, economic, cultural and human rights.

That's all I've got for now. What do you make of it?

new topics

top topics

<< 348  349  350    352  353  354 >>

join