It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 349
<< 346  347  348    350  351  352 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
news.xinhuanet.com...

BEIJING, May 13 (Xinhua) -- A total of 79 passengers entering China showed fever or other flu-like symptoms from Monday to Tuesday, said the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (GAQSIQ) Wednesday.

Their cases have been handed to local health departments for further observation or treatment, the ministry said.

A total of 697 passengers entering China have been found to have fever or other flu-like symptoms among 5.97 million passengers screened when entering China from April 25 to May 12, the administration said.

The GAQSIQ has been quarantining planes, ships, trains, automobiles and other vehicles from the countries affected by outbreaks of A/H1N1 flu.

I know a lot of eyes here are on China to see if H1N1 is going to step it up and evolve again, or combine in Asia with H5N1.

www.foxnews.com...

The World Health Organization is investigating claims made by an Australian researcher that new the H1N1 swine flu virus may have evolved as result of human error.

Adrian Gibbs, 75, said he planned to publish a report saying the never-before-seen strain of influenza may have evolved in eggs used to grow viruses for scientific research and vaccine development, according to Bloomberg News.

The noted virologist said his findings could help better understand the microbe's ability to spread.

World Health Organization Assistant Director-General of Health Security Keiji Fukuda is reviewing the study, Bloomberg reported.

If Gibbs' research is confirmed, Fukuda said it will raise many new questions about the new strain.

Oh, boy. I still don't buy into H1N1 being released deliberately, but that doesn't mean that humanity isn't it's own worst enemy.

news.ufl.edu...

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — As scientists rush to figure out how the virus responsible for the current influenza outbreak originated, a group of the world’s experts on evolutionary biology — including a University of Florida team — has set aside some academic traditions to work together toward a solution.

Rather than rush to publication with their individual findings on the current flu outbreak, the computational biologists have opened their work in progress to each other and the public through a Web site: tree.bio.ed.ac.uk...

Researchers in Britain came up with the idea to rapidly release data analysis results. The site allows a broad collaborative yet independent effort by allowing registered users to post their results and comment on the work of others. Contributors hail from institutions around the world, including the University of Oxford, the University of Edinburgh, the University of Florida, the University of Arizona, the University of California-Los Angeles, the University of Hong Kong and Belgium’s Rega Institute.

This sounds an interesting project, even if it goes over my head

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Good Morning!

Yeah, I read this article and it sounds like it is an old one, but has today's date on it...now..THAT...is wierd!

Nothing on the local news this morning regarding the new totals for Indiana. Usually they give a brief up date between 8:30 and 9:00. I guess it's not a concern anymore. By the way, Hx, thanks for hanging in there even on a "slow" night! It is appreciated!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I posted this in the other big thread but thought I'd put it here to :

WHO to Draw up New Flu Virulence Guidelines

Extracts:

A WHO official said the planned guideline is intended to make the environment appropriate for raising the alert level from the current Phase 5, under which human-to-human spread of the virus is observed in one region
The official said the organization is concerned about a possible overreaction by the public if the alert level is raised at this stage. Therefore, the level will be raised only after the guideline is able to clearly reflect the mildness of the new strain of virus, according to the official.

The new strain of influenza is spreading not only among the United States and Mexico but also in European countries, including Britain and Spain. However, the British government has been insisting that there is no sustained human-to-human infection, apparently out of concerns of the possible adverse impact on its economy and other social activities, making it difficult for the U.N. body to make a decision to raise the alert level immediately.

So they are overhauling their pandemic phase guidelines and there will not be any moving to phase 6 until these new guidelines are finalized.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

its all about $$$, not the safety of the people. Pretty pathetic that our government is saying their is not sustained human to human infections when there obviously is, just so they don't lose cash. Maybe they should have thought about that when they claimed MP's expenses!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Swine flu human error!

Adrian Gibbs, 75, who collaborated on research that led to the development of Roche Holding AG’s Tamiflu drug, said in an interview that he intends to publish a report suggesting the new strain may have accidentally evolved in eggs scientists use to grow viruses and drugmakers use to make vaccines. Gibbs said he came to his conclusion as part of an effort to trace the virus’s origins by analyzing its genetic blueprint. “One of the simplest explanations is that it’s a laboratory escape,” Gibbs said in an interview with Bloomberg Television today. “But there are lots of others.”

I said this like 2 weeks ago ... dontcha love the press!

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I just popped over to the WHO site. Every day they post updates but when I try to access today's the page says "This page is not availible in English"...how odd ! I then popped over to the archive of press conferences where they provide an audio or written transcript of daily briefings and they've gone and deleted ALL of the conference audio's and transcripts bar the ones for 11th and 12th of May. Why on earth would they do that I wonder ?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Good morning fellow flu followers.

I am sick as a dog with a nasty cold with headache and bad chest congestion so I have been down for a couple of days.

We have heard nothing at all about this flu here in Rochester, I have no clue as to the results of the other tests. Having read the new articles posted, it is clear that we are still riding blind.

I agree that ats has been on the lead with the flu, I have learned far more here than any other place available. I appreciate all of you and your hard work.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

No they have archived them in links so they dont take up the whole page

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Influenza A(H1N1) press briefings Audio files and transcripts from the briefings Current week | 3 - 9 May | 26 April - 2 May

Look above the last weeks links

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by novacs4me

novacs...I am so sorry to hear about how you lost your mother....that must have been awful and so shocking for you.

I've also had terrible, life threatening drug reactions, and have had docs nearly kill me with their prescriptions more than once. When I first got sick with this, that was my biggest worry, that I might have to take prescription medicine....thankfully I've avoided it this flu.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhead57
Good morning fellow flu followers.

I am sick as a dog with a nasty cold with headache and bad chest congestion so I have been down for a couple of days.

We have heard nothing at all about this flu here in Rochester, I have no clue as to the results of the other tests. Having read the new articles posted, it is clear that we are still riding blind.

I agree that ats has been on the lead with the flu, I have learned far more here than any other place available. I appreciate all of you and your hard work.

Try to stay healthy. There have been a weird series of bugs floating around my office in Syracuse, but outside of a couple of generic "health and safety" e-mails from national corporate, nothing specific to upstate NY.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Many Swine Flu Cases Have No Fever
www.nytimes.com...

Many people suffering from swine influenza, even those who are severely ill, do not have fever, an odd feature of the new virus that could increase the difficulty of controlling the epidemic, said a leading American infectious-disease expert who examined cases in Mexico last week......
“It surprised me and my Mexican colleagues, because the textbooks say that in an influenza outbreak the predictive value of fever and cough is 90 percent,” Dr. Wenzel said.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by yzzyUK

ah, thanks. I'm such a dope sometimes !

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
3 more UK cases, total now 71

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Interesting article about Weather and H1N1 in the winter. Doesn't look good.

Studies have shown that influenza flourishes when the air is generally dry and cold. One study done by the Oregon State University indicated that low humidity alone is the key. This could explain why the flu seems to be rampant during the winter when indoor household humidity levels are very low.

Link

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by yzzyUK

We are the press, for those of you that have not seen them check out the two online videos at www.carnicom .com

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The new H1N1 swine flu appears to be a little more contagious and a little more severe than seasonal influenza but only patients who need them the most should get the drugs, in part to keep the drugs working well in case the swine flu becomes more dangerous, said Dr. Nikki Shindo of the World Health Organization.
www.canada.com...

That's a bit of an understatement....it's far more contagious and at least 4 times as deadly. Why are they feeding us such bs? Just dumb journalists?

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Mexico: 164 Additional Cases and Two Additional Fatal Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed, Increasing Total to 2,446 Cases and 60 Deaths
13 minutes ago from web

so now we are at 65 deaths worldwide

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Someone really early in this thread was interested in the expiry date of Tamiflu -

At Halmahera health center in Semarang, for example, there were at least 200 75-miligrams capsules, which were produced in March 2006 and expired in February this year.

Expired Tamiflu capsules destroyed

so they have around a 3 year lease of life.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

It was me asking about expiry dates last week...I did spot that article this morning while searchinf for news, but thanks for remembering anyway. I also read somewhere that expiry dates were being expanded on tamiflu...so there seems to be a difference in response between some countries and others.

top topics

<< 346  347  348    350  351  352 >>

join