It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 339
<< 336  337  338    340  341  342 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
mexico confirms 56 fatalities but Who says it is less. My count is 61 total fatal confirmed including Canada and the US up to today any one else got this many?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Mine was more in the 2 hundreds... oh but then WHO changed their mind *shrug*

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

There is no way, in my opinion, that all of these new/confirmed cases in this many countries can be classified as first generation, "straight from Mexico" related. They are buying time and covering until they HAVE to give more details. I might be living in a sheltered environment or something (not!), but I just find it hard to believe this many people have had some contact with Mexico! Maybe I just "don't get out much".

What am I missing or misconstruing here? But I will say the general public is successfully turning their ADD'd heads and interests in other directions where I live. Even my own mother this weekend had to pause a minute like it was a topic from ten years ago or something. I give up.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by fullmoonfairy
But I will say the general public is successfully turning their ADD'd heads and interests in other directions where I live.

I'm ADD ... or doesn't it mean that on here?

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by yzzyUK

But I will say the general public is successfully turning their ADD'd heads and interests in other directions where I live.

I'm ADD ... or doesn't it mean that on here?

Don't feel bad. I am convinced that everyone is ADD.
It's what naturally happens to an organism when the stimuli factor
is off the charts - like it is for us now on this planet.

So much to do - so many places to be -
so much to see - so much to pay attention to -

ADD is just natures way of telling us -
it's time to slow down.

[edit on 11-5-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
So we are at 61 deaths then? With 100 more probable?
At first that does not sound bad but neither hemisphere is right in their winter yet, so i think we will start to have a clearer picture in the coming months.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
El Salvador: Two New Influenza A (H1N1) Cases Reported; Cumulative Total Reaches Four Confirmed Cases Nationwide #swineflu
2 minutes ago from web

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
latest WHO briefing... (paraphrased by me)...

top of the briefing emphasis on 'we may or may not go to phase 6 and if we do it will not reflect severity'

... they are trying to prevent panic, obviously...

'impact will be different for developing countries versus developed countries'...

... so, it may be more severe in Third World countries (my aside: where some say the Illuminati or CFR or Bilderbergers or whomever want to prioritize culling the populations?)...

...still hammering the word "mild", "milder" (as ordered by CIA / MI6 ??)...

..."still a confusing situation"... (right, the fog of war?)...

... nothing was said about the flowchart graph line skyrocketing up the charts regarding confirmed infected worldwide...

... we don't fully understand how the earliest events happened...

... 'how it will develop now is anyone's guess'...

... 'what is the level of anxiety?' 'this figures into how we advise countries affected'...
(as in current news blackout to calm the public?)...

... theme of this briefing: things are very confusing...

... 'should we have the equivalent of a hurricane severity scale for this?' 'countries will deal with our Phase 5 warning differently depending upon the death rate and the range of choices changes accordingly... we've been looking at a way to gauge severity and report it'...

... threshold for going to Phase 6? ... community spread when you see cases and it's not clear where they are getting infected from ... if you can't trace it, and there's community spread, that is a Phase 6 type event...

... question about the numbers... what's the breakdown of old vs. new cases...
'it's a mixture of both but we can't give you percentages'...

... 'the situation can change' (this is being hammered as a theme (ominously)...

... question: is international travel safe? ...'no travel restrictions because we determined early on it was too late to shut down travel to make any difference' (the genie was already out of the bottle)...

... 'we're mindful that going to Phase 6 is major'...

... dense populations in China/Asia a worry? ... 'keep on watch for additional infections'...

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
CDCemergencyConference Call Today 4-5PM ET, Pediatrics and novel H1N1 flu, 800-369-1826, passcode: 5072327 CDC COCA #h1n1 #swineflu

VeratectUS, Iowa: State officials confirm 54 cases of influenza A (H1N1) statewide; most cases are in Marshall County. #swineflu
less than a minute ago from web

VeratectCanada: Total confirmed influenza A (H1N1) count reaches 288; three new cases identified in Alberta province. #swineflu
2 minutes ago from web

[edit on 11-5-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by yzzyUK

Absolutely no offense to you!
I was referring to Attention Deficit Disorder in the most generalized of statements as to how society acts in general. I'm just aggravated over this whole flu mess! and how the public acts once they successfully manage to sweep the latest "OMG" under the rug and mosey on to the next fast food joint. Never mind how people like to make those of us who try to remain informed feel like obssessed wierdo!
I apologize if you were offended! Truly.
-FMF

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The fact they keep hammering on about "this situation can change very quickly" is quite ominous. Just like "mild", this is another phrase they are hammering into the public to perhaps prepare them subconsiously for whatever they know

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by switching yard

Do you remember the scene in Animal House, at the end during the big parade? The silly scene where the dorky campus cop kid is screaming 'Remain calm!!!' ...while they are running all over and trampling him? That's what these conferences remind me of!

Desparately askin/begging us to remain calm as the evidence is all over the place and the virus runs rampant! (boy, I must be feeling a little dramatic today, huh). Crazy.

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Flu Pandemic Preparedness Guide...

www.fluwikie.com...=Consequences.FluPandemicPreparednessGuide

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

reply to post by yzzyUK

I apologize if you were offended! Truly.
-FMF

My goodness it would take MUCH more than that!

It's the same when people say "stop acting like a girl!" I think, why? what's so BAD with acting like a girl KWIM?

But you are right, but I think we have been 'trained' to jump from one thing to another...

Where I was brought up for the 1st 5 years of my life [Moravia] topics stayed alive so long as the villagers didn't have a conclusion... they would take the most mundane topic like "Josefs affair" and wring it dry until they knew what, who, where, why and when... and then some!

We have been 'trained' by the media to jump about... today Gazza is the most evil... tomorrow it will be david bekham.. oh no wait he is now a hero... ahh then it MUSt be M. jackson..... boooo.. no hang on... it's the Pope!

Schitzo news that skips from pillar to post and never EVER gives conclusions...

Ever seen a story and wondered a few days later what happened to that person or animal? Reporting the "exclusive" is what matters now... not informing the masses!!

Just for those that might be interested... ADD folks can also Hyper concentrate.. I guess one might call it obsessing!

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
There is still a high level of concern that the difference in deaths from Mexico to US is not a result of anything other than a failure in the overall testing and detection system.

The 3rd US death in Washington State is a subject of discussion in the various meetings today.

The patient was in his 30s and is said to have had an "underlying heart condition". He was confirmed infected on April 30th and died on May 9th. Around a 10 day time line.
He died from "viral pneumonia", a phrase we here in the thread should be very, very familiar with by now.

From Dr Henry Niman:

Swine H1N1 Fatality in Washington
Recombinomics Commentary 07:46
May 10, 2009
The Snohomish County man, who officials said was in his 30s, had an underlying heart condition. He became sick on April 30 and died Wednesday from what appears to be complications of swine-origin influenza (H1N1), officials with the state Department of Health said.

The above comments describe the first reported H1N1 swine influenza death in Washington state. The death follows two deaths in Texas and one in Canada. These deaths highlight concerns that H1N1 deaths in the United States will parallel the deaths in Mexico when the number of cases increase.

The virus is rapidly spreading in the United States (see updated map), but the vast majority of reported cases are in children or young adults and most of these cases have been mild and did not require hospitalization. However, as the number of deaths in the United States increase, the similarities with Mexico will become clearer.

These similarities are most easily seen in the sequences of the swine H1N1 from patients in Mexico and the United States (see list here), which are virtually identical. Moreover the same sequences had been identified in isolates worldwide, strongly suggesting that differences in mortality are largely due to testing and detection frequencies.

The H1N1 in Mexico was recently confirmed by labs in the United States and Canada. Prior to the lab confirmation, the reports out of Mexico were mixed. It was clear that patients between the ages of 25-44 were dying from atypical pneumonia, but the etiological agent was unclear. The identification of swine H1N1 that matches the virus circumnavigating the globe provides a tight association between prior events in Mexico and future events in countries with more recent introductions.

However, the timing of these introductions remains uncertain. The mild nature of the vast majority of case allows for silent spread. The first two cases in the United States were identified through a border surveillance system. Other infections would go undiagnosed or misdiagnosed because of similarities with seasonal flu. Most infected patients would not seek medical attention, and those that did would be positive for influenza A and treated as seasonal flu patients.

This silent spread will likely continue because of decisions to limit testing of patients by state labs. Many have indicated that they will concentrate on more severe cases. Although an influenza A positive at this time of the year in the northern hemisphere will be increasingly likely to be H1N1 swine flu, a lab confirmation is the best tracking data.

The deaths of the young adults in Texas and Washington highlights the similarities between the H1N1 swine flu pandemic of 2009 and the 1918 outbreak, which also began with mild influenza due to efficient swine H1N1 transmission in a human population.

The rapid spread in the human population increases the likelihood of co-infrection with H1N1 seasonal flu and the acquisition of key polymorphisms linked to adaptation in human hosts. Two likely acquisitions are NA H274Y and PB2 E627K, which are fixed in human H1N1.

Close monitoring of sequences, including those from the southern hemisphere in the near term, will allow for detection of key changes that will drive swine H1N1 infections in the northern hemisphere in the fall.
The key acquisitions were recently demonstrated in the fixing of oseltamivir (Tamiflu) fixing in H1N1 seasonal flu, and acquisition of key polymorphisms via homologous recombination remains a cause for concern.

Source Link

Anyone getting deja vous yet?

[edit on 11-5-2009 by ecoparity]

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
What I'm getting is that press releases, doctor's being interviewed, and corporate warnings to their staff are using information and wording that seem to have been culled from this thread.

This isn't the first time I've had my version of turning tech into microwave product for the masses being liberated into print. I do still find if very interesting.

I wonder how much some company is being paid for reading this thread to "Understand what people understand" and "rephrase so that the common person with a correct interpretation will get it."

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
How in the world can they say "Well we might go to a Level 6, but it does not mean it's that severe".

Keep the information coming peoples

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllexxisF1
How in the world can they say "Well we might go to a Level 6, but it does not mean it's that severe".

Keep the information coming peoples

No no Dr Fukuwhatsit said it would be or hinted it would be relative to the country / region it was in.... so a level 6 in England wouldn't be as bad as a levl 6 in India for example...

I think they will come up with a 'regional level rating' soon....

Besides all this.. there are current May 2009 outbreaks of H5N1 in Viet Nam, Egypt China... totalling 8 deaths.... Most strange we aren't being told about it seeing as we were already on emergency WHO level 5 by the time there were just a few confirmed deaths due to H1N1..

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The one thing I feel very confident about is that every death this flu creates has been and will be from pneumonia. I raised this issue quite a while ago and it continues to track in the reports coming back.

Preventing the secondary infection of pneumonia, be it viral or bacterial is the key.

They don't normally give the pneumonia vaccine to young, healthy people but if you can convince your Dr it would definitely be worth it.

top topics

<< 336  337  338    340  341  342 >>

join