It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 335
<< 332  333  334    336  337  338 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Muppetus Galacticus

So now it's okay to give meds to someone not diagnosed with what it's intended for?

Fewer things are adding up.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
reply to post by paxnatus

How's the family feeling?
Sorry if you have already posted this -
Read that symptoms were lessening.
Just checking in.

Also - I can attest to witnessing it "hitting" you where you are weak.
This has been happening for sometime among the population.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by spinkyboo]

Hi spinky,

He is feeling much, much better with 75% of his symptoms gone. He is still very tired and has chest congestion. I posted last night or early this morning that my husband was in excellent health. He plays hockey 2-3 times a week, and is an athlete. Eats well but not a health freak. Only occasional drinks and only wine. I do believe he has or had H1N1 based on his symptoms, but a very mild form. With that said "mild" meaning severe enough to stop him in his tracks.

I am worried about my kids though. My son has an underlying heart condition, Aortic Valve Stenosis and I am worried about how this virus may effect him. He has a very strong immune system. Only been sick twice in 12 years.

My daughter who is 13 is always coming down with strep. She had mono.last year and missed 6 weeks of school. What happens if she gets this?

We will have to wait and see.
So far no one else has any symptoms.

Thank you for asking about everyone. Stay well!!

Love,
Pax

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
H1N1 in Africa?

Someone posted earlier why no cases in Africa....I was wondering the same until I came across this article (May 9th)...it could explain why.

But Kenya's Njenga told IRIN his laboratory in Nairobi has not yet received the agent required to diagnose A (H1N1). As far as he knows, he said no other laboratories in Kenya have A (H1N1) testing capacity.

Identifying A (H1N1) involves carrying out a polymerase chain reaction or ‘PCR' test on a throat swab, which enlarges DNA to help technicians identify a virus. The process requires a ‘primer' to start DNA replication.

The WHO National Influenza Laboratory in Madagascar has not yet received testing materials from the US-funded Centers for Disease Control (CDC) because of cold-chain shipping problems, said a manager there.

Link to article

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by lunieri

Hmmm...speaking of Africa

Egyptian girl contracts BIRD FLU, 69th case
Sun May 10, 2009 4:12pm EDT
www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Um just to give the ones infected a chance at getting better soon....

DRINK lots and lots of ice water. Get your body temperature down as fast as possible and keep it down. It is what saved me and it will save you.

Good luck.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I see why Egypt is so wary of swine flu then. If H1N1 comes into contact with either an infected bird with H5N1 or a human then it could mutate and well then =

If im being honest i think its only a matter of time

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
Well said Eco!! That is exactly what I meant just didn't say it the correct way.
No, I realize the DNA itself does not change, but when the virus invades the host it changes the way the person's immune system will respond? So once inside the host does the virus recombine in only those who are immunocompromised? And kicks off a cytokine storm?
Or am I off base?

I'll try to explain this the way it grabbed my attention, it gave me some ideas for an automated aggregation program I designed a long time ago so my way of explaining it won't be 100% in line with what a geneticist would say but who understands what they're saying anyway, right?

The immune system works like a database, think of it as an excell spread sheet and every time it fights off an invader it tears off a chunk of it's DNA or carries off one of the dead / dying cells and analyzes what it takes to kill it. Then it stores that info in the spreadsheet so if that a-hole comes around again we know exactly how to kick it's ass out. This is how vaccines work, they give you some dead or really weak infected cells and your immune system does it's thing and stores the info. Most of the time, if your immune system recognizes an invader and knows exactly how to kill it the invader won't get very far and you won't even feel sick.

Everything living evolves. Bacteria become resistant to antibiotics and viruses gather intel on the host they are attacking so they can counter the immune response. Viruses are special though, they have a lot of capability for something that's not much more than a self reproducing robot.

A big part of what makes the virus seem so "smart" is that it gets around and sees a lot of different immune systems. Kind of like the Jennifer Love Hewitt of the virus world. It has the ability to tear bits of DNA out of the host and swap it out for parts of it's own DNA that can be "improved". Remember the robots in the movie AI who dig through the robotics factory trash looking to replace broken bits that need repair or get the upgrade? Viruses seem to be able to "read" DNA and know they can take a bit of code from this host and that host and make itself better able to infect the next guy. (OK so they're smarter than JLH when it comes to that part but I'm working from a shallow pool).

So, you end up with this life form that just wants to win the battle with the immune system and spread itself far and wide. In this case we have something that we're told started life as a pig virus and adapted itself to live in a lower temperature (a lot lower, most of it's classmates didn't make the jump). By trial and error it's learned to sneak past the initial immune response that immunization gives you (meaning that some flu viruses will still make you sick even if you're immune, you'll just get over it faster and live). We know of at least one avian strain that picked up the right code to be able to shut down parts of the immune response and keep the host at it's preferred body temp.

The more I think about this the more I think the low body temp is an immune response trying to lower the body out of the flu's operating range. The flu is actually more sensitive to cold than heat given it almost always came from a host with a higher body temp. H5N1 was not able to infect humans, as an example until it gained the ability to live below 105 and thrive at 98.6. So, it's possible the ice water trick might work if done at the right time.

Now, there's some controversial theory about viruses being able to insert genetic code in a host as well as steal code and a really unknown branch of study that looks at all DNA as a type of biological radio system. We know DNA transmits and receives signals we just don't know what's being said or how and where. These super nerd types think that a virus can actually communicate with other infected hosts and pass on data about mutations - what works, what doesn't and so on. I know of a freaky test that was done which will never be written up in a public journal or discussed by 99.9% of the community. None of that really matters right now though, it just inspired me once upon a time in my work. This branches off into quantum mechanics in a big hurry though so we'll stop there.

Oh, forgot to answer the direct questions, sorry.
1. The virus will recombine in every host but if that creates a mutation or changes how the bug operates is a random event.
2. We're still working out the cyto storm response. There are other questions needing answers which will point us in the right direction for that. The time line thing for starters. The good news is the more we look into it the more it looks like there was something specific to Mexico which caused the long time line deaths.

Everyone comes out of this bug with bad chest cold type symptoms. Watch closely for signs of pneumonia and load up on Vitamin C and D, big time. Drink juice and eat oranges 3 or 4 times per day and get some sunshine for 30 to 60 minutes while staying indoors, if possible.

[edit on 10-5-2009 by ecoparity]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I forgot to mention this. Everyday for the last year my husband has been taking Colloidal Silver, or Silver Hydrosol (10ppm) at least a teaspoon a day.
since he seems to be bouncing back, maybe there is something to be said for
Silver. Just a bit of positive for a change!

Happy Mother's Day to all ATS moms!

Pax

[edit on 10-5-2009 by paxnatus]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Numbers today are indicating some 53 fatalities and 4748 confirmed cases.

I believe that is a 1.25% mortality rate?

Not knowing all the all the info it still seems to have a low infection rate but a relatively high mortality rate. If only 1% of the population gets infected and only 1% of those die from it that is 600,000 I think?

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

The population used to calculate infect rate is vs exposed rather than total population and death rate is of course calculated vs. infected.

The "official" numbers are about as honest as internet poker, unfortunately. If we go two more weeks without a big upswing in deaths things will start to look brighter for a little while. I'm starting to think this coming summer will be like a MTV beach party powered by hillbilly moonshine / rust remover if they keep hyping that the zombie flu is coming this fall. Party like it's 1999, people. (Or Dec 20th, 2012 for the kids on the thread).

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Six in Wales investigated for flu

Six people are under investigation for swine flu in Wales while a further 69 have been given the all-clear

news.bbc.co.uk
Full Article

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Wikipedia 2009 swine flu outbreak timeline

LINK.....

Great up to date page, graphs, tables, timeline taken from WHO's released statistics, plus lots of reference links at the bottom of the page.

EDIT: Put wrong link in at first

[edit on 10-5-2009 by skitzspiricy]

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Hi Pax,
I read earlier today about your husbands condition/symptoms and demographic...he fits mine exactly. I'm female, in my upper 30s, and very active/ healthy. I drink my wine but that's about it.

Anyway...after 2 days of hell...this thing left as quick as it hit me. No more backache, chest congestion, migraine, sore throat, nausea or fever. This has honestly been the strangest bug I've ever had. I have had 5 doses of 500 mg of Amoxl as of now.

I don't know..I guess I just need to wait and see if anything happens to me..like a relapse..in the next couple of week.

Glad your hubby is better, too.

xoxo,
-Nat

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

CDC: H1N1 flu now in 45 states
8:18 p.m. EDT May 10, 2009
&siteid=rss]marketwatch

BOSTON (MarketWatch) -- The Centers for Disease Control said Saturday that there are now about 3,000 suspected and confirmed cases of the H1N1 flu virus in the U.S., spread across 45 states and the District of Columbia. Of those cases, 1,639 have had their diagnoses confirmed by a special laboratory test, and 104 have required hospitalization. Most of the patients who have required hospitalization also suffered from other complicating medical conditions. To date, there have been only two deaths, both in Texas. The CDC said they remain wary of the virus because it is a new viral strain and appears to be as easily transmittable as the seasonal flu. Health officials have said they are concerned the H1N1 virus might mutate into a far more dangerous illness in the coming months.

Edit: 2 Deaths should read 3

104 of 1,639=6.34%

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Thank you. And a happy Mother's Day to you. I've got 2 kids. They made me a card.

Speaking of moms, mine is in Nashville, TN and has to go to the dr. for routine stuff and refills. One of them is for respiratory. She really wishes she didn't have to for a few weeks and told me on the local NBC news there's a thousand cases in TN. If only more of the local info could make it online. This is one time I would want tv.

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
U.S Navy infected jumps from 7 to 18...

hosted.ap.org...=FLTAM&SECTION=US

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by notcrazyinaustin

Hi Pax,
I read earlier today about your husbands condition/symptoms and demographic...he fits mine exactly. I'm female, in my upper 30s, and very active/ healthy. I drink my wine but that's about it.

Anyway...after 2 days of hell...this thing left as quick as it hit me. No more backache, chest congestion, migraine, sore throat, nausea or fever. This has honestly been the strangest bug I've ever had. I have had 5 doses of 500 mg of Amoxl as of now.

I don't know..I guess I just need to wait and see if anything happens to me..like a relapse..in the next couple of week.

Glad your hubby is better, too.

xoxo,
-Nat

Glad you are feeling better as well. This is exactly what we were discussing, earlier this afternoon. I told him he would just have to wait and see. He still has a lot of chest congestion, but says he feels fine. Were you given the Amox. for another reason? I may have missed that. You need to make sure you finish all of your antibiotics, always. Even when you start to feel better you need to continue to take them until gone. Keep in mind Amoxicillin can be really tough on the gut. Please keep me posted.

Pax

P.S. I have a sister in Austin. Beautiful Place!!

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by winotka

Thank you. And a happy Mother's Day to you. I've got 2 kids. They made me a card.

Speaking of moms, mine is in Nashville, TN and has to go to the dr. for routine stuff and refills. One of them is for respiratory. She really wishes she didn't have to for a few weeks and told me on the local NBC news there's a thousand cases in TN. If only more of the local info could make it online. This is one time I would want tv.

Hey winotka,

I lived in Nashville for 8 years, in fact both my kids were born there. Is there any way for you to validate that information? That is an extremely high number. Could your mom have missed understood? If that number is correct, that would be a definite smoking gun!

Pax

posted on May, 10 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I ain't winotnk but...

Nashville Tn NBC H1N1 News
www.wsmv.com...

Nashville Tn CBS H1N1 News
www.newschannel5.com...

Nashville Tn ABC H1N1 News
www.wkrn.com...

Nashville Tn FOX H1N1 News