It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The Dallas Morning News is now reporting 3 "probable" cases of swine flu in Dallas County.

With the high concentration of Mexicans in Dallas, this is likely to be the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Forgive me for my ignorance, but does anyone know why having a "good" immune system is actually "bad" when it comes to the swine flu?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unlimitedpossibilities
Forgive me for my ignorance, but does anyone know why having a "good" immune system is actually "bad" when it comes to the swine flu?

The better the immune system the more likely it will overreact to the virus. In essence your immune system attacks not just the virus but the body itself. Killing the body.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I've read here and on articles (I believe) that the stronger immune system actually overreacts to the virus. How the overreaction works to kill a person is another question.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Because, as in the case of H5N1 and SARS (for two examples) the more reactive and aggressive the immune response, the more substantial the inflammatory cytokine "storm" provoked.

When you get sick, the symptoms you suffer from (increased mucous production, inflammation, etc.) are not the result of the virus itself, but your immune response to it.

The greater the inflammation, and the more prolonged it is, the greater the chance of secondary infection or the initial infection spreading to the lower respiratory tract (pneumonia.)

Having a healthy immune system generally is good, but in this case may or may not make this sort of illness more of a concern, and having an extremely active or aggressive one (such as those with autoimmune diseases, severe allergies, etc.) increases the risk further in theory.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Mexico's federal health secretary says the number of suspected swine flu cases in Mexico has risen to 1,614, including 103 deaths.

Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova says authorities are still trying to confirm how many were caused by the deadly new virus strain, which has shown up in as many as seven other countries and has caused the U.S. to declare a health emergency.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

In Mexico or total??

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Your immune system mistakes your lung tissue as something to attack. The inflammation, and mucus accumulating to deal with the baddies perceived by the immune system. Which is perceiving your lungs as baddies. The accumulation of inflammation and mucus suffocate and drown you.

Clearer?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

In Mexico or total??

mexico... i edited the post..

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
this thing is both good and bad, funny and tragic. it's bad/tragic because people have died. it's good & funny because we have the internet and every joe who'll get a cough and joint pain will self-diagnose to have the piggy flu and post it all over the internet thus inflating the rumor mill.

trust the govt they will keep us safe!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
Mexico health secretary says suspected swine flu cases rise to 1,614 with 103 believed dead, AP reports. 30 suspected cases in Jalisco.

BULLETIN -- 103 BELIEVED DEAD IN MEXICO BY SWINE FLU, NUMBER OF CASES CLIMBS
twitter.com...

S&F for the update. I thought it was too quiet with the status of what is happening in Mexico. I really hope they can save more of these poor folks. I expect some harsh numbers around midday Monday. I also found the AP Swine Flu report with said numbers. This has moved so fast these last 72 hours. I explained the news to my brother-in-law this afternoon and his response was, "It sounds like a movie." And I have to agree, if this keeps growing like we have seen we are looking at a big event with no way to stop it except by hunkering down.

IF this is, "the big one" then at one point the US gov will have to select which people to relocate, the infected, or the well. I wonder how they will choose.

Today a thought occured to me, what does a government do to individuals that refuse participating in a "mass" vaccination?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

That's a big gap... in less than 12 hours, 22 more deaths... but the important thing we NEED to know, is the ratio death/infected.

The black plague was 2.5% death rate. The bird flu is around 62%... 62% would be almost twice Smallpox.... it would be devastating.

Let's say we reach a pandemic, which is 33% of the population infected. We put that with a 2.5% death rate: 55.8 millions deads worldwide.

We put the death rate to 62%: 1.38 billion deads... devastating... + the panic...

So you have the worst number... if it reaches it's full potential, but the chances of that happening if it's natural are 1 in billions. If it's engineered... well the chances of that happening are going up.

I won't take ANY vaccines. Nor Tamiflu. Nor any of that stuff. If I become infected, I'm gonna drink alcohol to lower my immune system.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneInDarkness AND reply to post by Smurfwicked

Thank you. I needed to confirm my speculations and other opinions from internet sites.

reply to post by AceWombat04

Thank you as well. It seems you know much about the cytokine "storm". I have read some interesting information about elderberry extract and how it reduces the "viral load". Is this true? If so, will this work for the swine flu?

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
"The Waikato District Health Board is investigating two possible cases of swine flu.

Waikato DHB spokesperson Amy Thomsen said the Waikato residents and those they had been in close contact with were being tested for influenza A after developing symptoms of the virus upon their return from the United States.

Both patients had returned to New Zealand within the past two weeks.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Forgive me for my ignorance, but does anyone know why having a "good" immune system is actually "bad" when it comes to the swine flu? [/quote

There was a post earlier that had some information on this subject. Hope this helps.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

reply to post by LoneInDarkness AND reply to post by Smurfwicked

Thank you. I needed to confirm my speculations and other opinions from internet sites.

reply to post by AceWombat04

Thank you as well. It seems you know much about the cytokine "storm". I have read some interesting information about elderberry extract and how it reduces the "viral load". Is this true? If so, will this work for the swine flu?

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

Not necessarily, because there's no definitive research on the real clinical benefits. There are theories that do make sense, and unless one is allergic, I suppose it can't hurt to try. Circumin containing compounds such as turmeric (again, IN THEORY) have similar properties. It can't hurt to try, and there is at least anecdotal evidence of benefit, but whether that really means anything is undetermined. I always say if in doubt, and you know for certain something can't harm you, then it never hurts to try it if there's any chance at all that it can help. I wouldn't depend on it solely, though by any means. Without a proven vaccine there's no magic bullet yet (or even the pretense of one.)

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LoneInDarkness

If this is the case why not give the infected prednisone or anti rejection meds to shut the immune system temporarily?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
UPDATE

1 case Elyria, Ohio 9yr old. confirmed. school called my sister to let her know. ok im abit scared now :/ i live lorain, ohio. elyria is right next to me.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dthwraith
UPDATE

1 case Elyria, Ohio 9yr old. confirmed. school called my sister to let her know. ok im abit scared now :/ i live lorain, ohio. elyria is right next to me.

Health officials also are investigating four people in Wood County near Toledo who traveled to Mexico and have similar symptoms.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
reply to post by LoneInDarkness

If this is the case why not give the infected prednisone or anti rejection meds to shut the immune system temporarily?

Here is something..

Laboratory tests on human cells showed that the virus caused the immune system to send proteins called cytokines to infected lung cells, a reaction that would end up damaging or destroying the tissues the immune system is meant to defend.

I would assume the reason would be... without a working immune system you die from the virus itself... with it you may die from your immune system's reaction.. sorta like a double edged sword- just my two cents

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join