It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 285
<< 282  283  284    286  287  288 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Tomorrow is usually really big around here, but it's not being advertised at all this year.

There are now several suspect illnesses at work but noone is being tested.
So far 2 out of 6 have stayed home for a couple of days.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

Cutting edge technology beats texting-

youtomb.mit.edu...

lol

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Three probable cases of Swine Flu in Hawaii. Details on KHON2 News Hawaii at 5, 6, & 10. khon2.com--Twitter

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
This is from healthmap.org-

apex.oracle.com...:1001:1972160621334252::NO::F2400_P1001_BACK_PAGE,F2400_P1001_PUB_MAIL_ID:1010,77342

Apologies if this has already been posted.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by winotka]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Apologies again. Then you need to click on 4 May undiagnosed die-offs porcine-Myanmar RFI.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I also heard that St. Jude in TN should be able to start testing soon-

www.sfgate.com.../n/a/2009/05/04/state/n170935D92.DTL

Maybe the backlog will clear up and give a better idea of how this is going.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Well guys we went from 159 state wide to 190 and 20 bay area to 39 by this afternoon. Expecting another update tomarrow morning with more school closure's probable. We are still standing at 15 closed in the Bay area so far.(with one talking of reopening, no permission to reopen given yet)
Not looking good since 19 new cases came in for the bay area this afternoon, most of the testing is rumored to be of the kids in secondary school's now.
Boy across the street goes to the local Jr. High and said alot of kids are out of school. But no one has said if they where sick or not. Parent's may just be keeping them home I am not sure and can't get any straight answer's out of the school system about it.

Here is the latest update article. They made them change the 190 confirmed,but they keep changing it back and forth so we know the truth around here. The newsguys are really sneeky here

Bay Area Swine Flu: 39 Cases, 15 Schools Closed
cbs5.com...

OH YEAH I am in Northern California,Bay Area for any new people.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by winotka

An article posted here earlier said that new rules are NOT to test unless the victim is sick enough to be hospitalized. ...It's an old trick - don't test; don't find; don't report.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

True we where starting to see that around here! But upon hard questioning and straight out reading of the riot act from the news reporters around here it went really quiet. We haven't heard a thing about it again and so far they have only been reporting a few dozen a day now.
I think maybe the news guys scared them for a day or two but they are back to down playing how many people are sick around California again.

To Add: You know soficrow 6 million of Kaiser Permente's patients are used as a control group for yearly flu season reporting, they also use their pharmacie's to keep tabs on the number of antiviral and antibiotics given out. I have tried to find information about the number's from them online but can't seem to come up with squat!

[edit on 4-5-2009 by xoxo stacie]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Originally posted by winotka

An article posted here earlier said that new rules are NOT to test unless the victim is sick enough to be hospitalized. ...It's an old trick - don't test; don't find; don't report.

I had a conversation with a source last night about this. They say the idea is anyone showing up with flu symptoms will be considered a case now and that the testing was just to monitor the spread of the virus into new areas. My question was how do they plan to track mutations now, (no answer). I'm guessing the people who end up bad enough off to need hospital care will be donating samples for DNA analysis.

A scary number of the swab tests were giving false negatives anyway so yeah, the only gain out of not testing is not having to report the numbers. Maybe they will just start counting the people who come in and are auto diagnosed as confirmed. We should see a sudden rise in confirmed cases while the probable figures decline in that scenario.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
There is no possibility that the labs could keep up. The testing will be limited to new cases in new areas, cases that seem to be truly communal examples (no connections to other cases), cases that are known to be more than three infections out, and severe cases.

And MAYBE cases where most people in say a family get it, but one or two don't. Those cases might end up forwarded too.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I'd love to believe all this was a bunch of hype, but it really feels like the calm before the storm.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by alchemist2012
OK all those who allready know put your boots on its the 2 minute warning.the media has just went into dont panic mode"bracing for a second wave"when was the first wave...and to boot i have a inside source my brother is stationed at FT.Lewis wa. he called us at 3 am they are now on high alert not for iraq but for domestic stabilization thats right he said they will be moving out to undisclosed locations wed. of this week and they were given n.b.c. suits and chemical protective gear.if anyone else has family in the army or marines you should check with them to get more info

i've heard several reports of this type of thing...
does anyone know anything about this...any change of plans

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

The case's in california are starting to sky rocket for one. Second by law they have to get ready and move to places that have had to declare emergency power's to get the testing etc and funding to move in medical supplies.
They are required under law to secure the secondary treatment site's, bring medical teams with more supplies and help if any panic or rioting breaks out should they need to guarentine people.
In the event of quarentine they will be the one's delivering food and medicine to the people at their home's if they are well enough to be there. It isn't really a freak out time with them being mobilized to do this because under the treaty all countries are required to now move them into place.
It is in the pandemic plans....level 4 and five are the prep for level 6 once we get to level 6 it is do what you are told or else we will arrest you.( but legally we are already at level 6, with all the countries now reporting case's.They have no choice under the guide line law's they set up.)
Something else to keep in mind is those few in society that would use an emergency to rob and hurt people during the panic.....we have already had a few here and it stink's but is a fact of life now.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Sorry if already posted but they are closing schools in UK now, 1 in South London and 1 in Southampton so far that I am aware of - on BBC News TV.

AND still they say its mild no need to worry.

This is complete ####### they are posting advice leaflets out from today too but still no need to worry!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Yes, this is one of the things that doesn't make alot of sense. They don't close schools when there is normal flu running about .... I've read that seasonal flu is in essence a "pandemic" when that flu pops up around the globe, but they don't raise WHO levels over normal flu either. Then you have stories of front line medics or whatever wearing bio suits and individuals with the swine flu being quarantined.....I guess the infection ratio is extremely high which could account for some of the measures being taken but it seems there is concern over something other than just double the infection rate of normal flu.........it's very curious.

No school closures in Wales yet as far as I know....

[edit on 5/5/09 by cosmicpixie]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
Yes, this is one of the things that doesn't make alot of sense. They don't close schools when there is normal flu running about .... I've read that seasonal flu is in essence a "pandemic" when that flu pops up around the globe, but they don't raise WHO levels over normal flu either. Then you have stories of front line medics or whatever wearing bio suits and individuals with the swine flu being quarantined.....I guess the infection ratio is extremely high which could account for some of the measures being taken but it seems there is concern over something other than just double the infection rate of normal flu.........it's very curious.

No school closures in Wales yet as far as I know....

[edit on 5/5/09 by cosmicpixie]

If it helps, there's two reasons why they would be acting this way while saying another besides the obvious one of trying to keep people from freaking out. It's the standard governmental routine to lie and say everything is OK even when it's not. I think the politics of fear we've all seen since 9/11 in the US and UK have actually put us all in a frame of mind where the traditional propaganda seems strange.

As I've related, there are still a couple of things about this virus which have them worried.
1. The timeline of the virus in an infected person. There is a lot of evidence that despite being a somewhat "mild" virus people in Mexico died weeks after infection from atypical pneumonia, some from secondary infections and some from the immune response which according to some stories arose quite suddenly to strike people down even as they seemed to be recovering completely from the flu. Until the US victims get 3-4 weeks down range they are watching and worrying.

2. They use a standard formula to calculate how bad the virus will be. It takes into account how likely a person is to get infected if exposed. This number calculated against an estimated population exposed gives them a likely death rate. The fuzzy variables that come into play are abnormal effects that kill (such as the atypical pneumonia) and so on. We can take the known figures and estimate for ourselves what the true situation is which is probably why they are trying to fudge the public numbers. Looking at what they are doing instead of saying, it seems the people who have the true data have worked the calculations and are very worried.

This doesn't mean an astronomical death rate necessarily, it seems from what myself and a few other people have calculated that this virus may be worse than seasonal flu but it's the type of people it's having the worst effect on that's scary. A disease that kills children and young adults has horrible consequences from a social as well as economic / national interest point of view.

Here's the formula:
CAR% = "clinical attack rate" (how many people get infected when exposed to the virus)
CFR% = "clinical fatality rate" (how many of the infected will die)

Population x CAR x CFR = Estimated fatalities

One state's CAR as of 48 hours ago was 30%
If that state had an exposed population of 100,000 we can estimate the number of fatalities if we know the CFR. We can substitute the CFR for seasonal flu or try to estimate the percentage based on data from Mexico. Right now we don't have a complete data set, however. The time issue can throw this equation off by 400% in either direction depending on how it turns out.

The other possibility is that the virus is being used as a political tool and they will continue to reassure us that everything is fine while the mechanism to implement some form of dictator type authority is underway. Because there is this threat of a killer virus they can secure the cooperation of the military simply by lying to them.

Prepare, if nothing else so you'll be ready when the real super virus comes and also so you can take control of your own circumstances but make sure you prepare for a range of possibilities.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonny2410
i suspect this time next week this story will be dead in the MSM and we probably wont see it resurface again until winter (if the reports are true that it will be bad then)

I agree. And once again we will be faced with an onslaught of pressure to vaccinate, stock up on anti-viral medications, and the whole ordeal will be hyped up to induce a panic.

The man has done a fine job running the average citizens in circles, fudging numbers and lying.

They want our heads to spin so we don't bother thinking about it anymore.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
My take on the situation is this..
Lets say that this ManBearPig virus is a natural event..Our PTB have allready said that they dont waste a good crises..So that being said.they could quite possibly stretch there legs and try all the new measures to keep our public safe...
Martial law
gives them rights to go into anyones home to assure safety..we all seen what happened in N.O after Katrina..Gun grabs..

What was the hot topics in the news before all of this mess??
Home grown threats..everyone from a veteran to a tea party mom..

The sales of firearms sky rocketted in the past year..and you dont think TPTB dont see a perfect way to put water on the fire?

On the global stand point..Mexico was in ruins before this mess..You dont think that the world will give the US its blessings to go into Mexico to see whats ''going on''? Mean while another 2 steps towards the NAU..

Maybe My tin hats fitting a lil to tight,but the writing is on the wall..

I have never asked but if you feel that this is certainly a possibility please star this post..

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
2 School closures in UK, having to reschedule Exams, One in South East London, One in South West London.

Another school shuts as UK swine flu toll rises
• 1,000 pupils and staff to be treated with Tamiflu
• Exam boards and ministry meet as tests are cancelled

Full Article Here

new topics

top topics

<< 282  283  284    286  287  288 >>

join