It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 270
<< 267  268  269    271  272  273 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 13
www.who.int...

4 May 2009 -- As of 06:00 GMT, 4 May 2009, 20 countries have officially reported 985 cases of influenza A (H1N1) infection.

Mexico has reported 590 laboratory confirmed human cases of infection, including 25 deaths. The higher number of cases from Mexico reflects ongoing testing of previously collected specimens. The United States has reported 226 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (85), China, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (1), Costa Rica (1), Colombia (1), Denmark (1), El Salvador (2), France (2), Germany (8), Ireland (1), Israel (3), Italy (1), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (4), Republic of Korea (1), Spain (40), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (15).

There is no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products.
More at Link...

WHO confirms nearly 1,000 flu cases in 20 countries
www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
WHO head indicates flu will reach pandemic - paper

04 May 2009 07:47:44 GMT
Source: Reuters
* Says does not want to cause panic when announces level 6

* Stabilisation of cases should not lead to over-confidence

* Effect of new strain during southern winter unknown

MADRID, May 4 (Reuters) - The World Health Organisation is likely to raise its alert for the new influenza strain to the highest level and declare a pandemic, its head indicated in an interview published on Monday.

"Level six does not mean, in any way, that we are facing the end of the world. It is important to make this clear because (otherwise) when we announce level six it will cause an unnecessary panic," Margaret Chan, WHO Director General told Spanish newspaper El Pais.

"Flu viruses are very unpredictable, very deceptive...We should not be overconfident. One must not give H1N1 the opportunity to mix with other viruses. That is why we are on alert," she told the newspaper.

Chan warned against over-confidence following a stabilisation in the number of new cases of H1N1 because the southern hemisphere was about to enter winter when flu cases naturally spike.

"We have to be very careful. No one can predict what is going to happen when countries in the south have flu peaks and this new one arrives -- which it is going to do, without a doubt."

"It is true that the number (of cases in people who have not been to Mexico) is small but because of that I would say that we have not seen the full situation or the whole picture of what is happening. The situation is evolving and the virus is changing".

She said it was too early to predict what proportion of the population would catch the new influenza strain after the European Union predicted 40 percent of the population would become infected. (Reporting by Ben Harding)

Yeah, let's go quietly into the night while they declare continuity of government, meaning NO congress nor senate.. only president + homeland security.

So they WILL announce LEVEL 6. Today or tomorrow.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
The past week has been educational to say the least. Among the many lessons on human behavior, journalistic integrity and truth in government the most useful lessons were on personal survival and disaster preparation for families.

The only way to properly insure survival in a pandemic is to practice elevated hygiene and isolate your family from other people.

Going into this with a spouse who isn't much for "conspiracy" I knew I was in for a battle but the way I looked at it was that even if this virus turned out to be non lethal it would be great practice for the fall and other "future" disasters where taking a defensive posture is the best course.

I spent better than 24 hours convincing her the kids should be kept home from school. Finally accepting this, she ordered food to be delivered while I was still asleep and her and the kids all ate it.

Despite having plenty of food including "survival" dehydrated supplies, she insisted trips to the grocer were absolutely necessary. I was faced with either going myself and knowing the proper precautions would be taken or allowing her and the kids to go and knowing they would almost surely come back infected.

By day three the pleas to go pick up take out food began. Mind you by this time the back channel info was that the virus spreads more readily via contact and that it can survive outside a host longer than usual. A lot of concern was raised about food handling by various medical sources.

Relatives were invited over and allowed in, relatives who were not practicing any form of isolation until one of them was exposed to a sick child without warning the other day.

Seeing the move towards level 6, I figured a stall for time until this passing weekend would be enough to see the schools closed down. I think the case for schools being excellent virus delivery systems stands on it's own merits. Now, as the new week begins level 6 is still crawling towards us even as Mexico has managed to slow the spread of the virus by shutting everything down for a long weekend.

My wife doesn't like the idea of sending them off to school tomorrow but she won't take the same "alternate" approach to solutions I would. Despite my best efforts to be prepared for this event and others, to protect my family - it's game over.

You are at the mercy of the least committed, weakest member of your "team" in a survival situation. Lesson learned, loud and clear.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   

My wife doesn't like the idea of sending them off to school tomorrow but she won't take the same "alternate" approach to solutions I would. Despite my best efforts to be prepared for this event and others, to protect my family - it's game over.

You don't have to send them to school. You say that they can go screw themselves if they don't like it and you'll homeschool them for the rest of the year.

Homeschooling is LEGAL. Those bastards don't want people to know that or else they would lose a lot of money from the FED propaganda curriculum.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

Rather than think "game over", if you are this serious about what you think this virus will do then why not put your foot down with your "team member", even if this means an allmighty row or series of allmighty rows. If I was that worried then I wouldn't stand for my partner trying to put the stoppers on , I'd fight him all the way as my life/kids life is more important that the fall out from some heated arguments..........

You puzzle me

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity

but the way I looked at it was that even if this virus turned out to be non lethal it

So that implies that even you have doughts in your ''sources''

maybe now you can see what people on the internet that dont know you from adam would have high doughts from a stanger online that has sources that are doughtable at best...

not trying to agrue the fact just pointing out,thats all

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Source - Stuff.co.nz

New Zealand now has six confirmed cases of swine flu with a further 11 "probable" cases, health officials say.

Note:
New Zealand has 17 cases all together, even though WHO will only officially record 6.

This is because not all of the students (who went on a school trip to Mexico and tested positive for Influenza A) had swabs taken and sent to Austrailia for piggy testing.

Of the four samples that were sent, 3 smelt like bacon, and the 4th sample wasn't good enough to test.

However, NZ officials are confident that all students who tested Flu A positive were Swine Flued.

We are now heading into winter. Over the last few days the temperate has dropped which is the sign colds and flu's are on its way...

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   

MEXICO CITY - The head of the World Health Organisation warned Monday that swine flu could return with a vengeance despite Mexico's President Felipe Calderon insisting his country has contained the epidemic.

WHO chief Margaret Chan said in a newspaper interview that a second wave of the virus "would be the biggest of all outbreaks the world has faced in the 21st century", puncturing optimism emanating from the epicentre of the outbreak.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

ABS-CBN NEWS

New York City: 3 Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Identified Not Related to St. Francis Preparatory School in Queens or to Travel to Mexico.#H1N1
about 5 hours ago from web

US, New York, Long Island: Local Authorities Identify 3 Probable Cases of Influenza A (H1N1); No Direct Link Between Cases.#swineflu #H1N1
about 5 hours ago from web

Arizona: 13 New Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed; Total of 17 Confirmed Statewide. #swineflu #H1N1
about 9 hours ago from web

US, Louisiana: CDC Confirms One Case of Influenza A (H1N1) in Orleans Parish. #swineflu #H1N1
about 9 hours ago from web

Texas: Total of 43 Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed in Twelve Counties Statewide. #swineflu #H1N1
about 10 hours ago from web

Los Angeles County: Two New Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed; Three Total Confirmed Cases in County. #swineflu #H1N1

US, Louisiana: CDC Confirms One Case of Influenza A (H1N1) in Ascension Parish. #swineflu #H1N1

US, Louisiana: CDC Confirms Five Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) in Lafayette Parish. #swineflu #H1N1

US, New York, Oneida County: Three Suspected Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Are Dismissed; Results Still Pending on Fourth Case.#swineflu #H1N1
about 11 hours ago from web

Canada, Nova Scotia: Two New Confirmed Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Identified; National Confirmed Case Count Reaches 101.#swineflu #H1N1
about 11 hours ago from web

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues

but the way I looked at it was that even if this virus turned out to be non lethal it

So that implies that even you have doughts in your ''sources''

maybe now you can see what people on the internet that dont know you from adam would have high doughts from a stanger online that has sources that are doughtable at best...

not trying to agrue the fact just pointing out,thats all

I guess I'm at the mercy of the reading comprehension of others. Do you honestly believe the people at the CDC or WHO know how this is going to turn out for sure?

They've hidden some of the victim counts, why I don't know but other than that they aren't sitting on some gold mine of solid intel you're not being given. They have no more clue how this is going to turn out than you or I do. These types of viruses mutate constantly. Right now they have a huge concern over the time period this version takes - I've been told that is the number one item on the hot list - what's the real time line from infection to symptoms to death. Until they figure that one out they don't know if this current virus will end up killing a lot of people or fading away until it can find a hot little bug to cozy up and rearrange with.

What's worrying is the people who are calling it game over and have been for days now. Of course, those guys are mostly the DNA experts so figure out what that means for yourself.

Even publicly they're saying this coming fall is almost surely going to be bad. Very bad.

Everything they've told me, every single item has made the press within a day or two. So far they're batting 1000. I've gotten a hell of a lot more hard info from these folks than the media is providing.

Like I've said, if anyone has a problem with the information then offer up those alternate explanations, please. So far no one has even tried. I'd love to hear some counter positions supported by real intel.

I don't have a problem with doubts, I'm not asking anyone to believe anything. If you can't go back and see the posts and see the press reports line up then you're one of those "package with a bow" types.

What I have a problem with is people who say I shouldn't be posting at all because I'm "distracting" them from discussing their pet conspiracy theory or speaking up when they spread bad info. Anyone can feel free to put me on ignore, I've had no issue doing the same to a few of you.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by ecoparity]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Laurie Garrett: What can we learn from the 1918 flu?

In 2007, as the world worried about a possible avian flu epidemic, Laurie Garrett, author of "The Coming Plague," gave this powerful talk to a small TED University audience.

watch this

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I mentioned a while back that the nasal swabs were giving false negatives.

Please see this thread, 4th post down: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by Memysabu
The h1n1 testing is not working, either they just dont care or even a slight variation makes it come back negative. Having friends and family going thru this illness I know first hand. One friend almost died and of course the test came back negative. Youre all getting bad information and should stop counting using their numbers. The best option you have is to speculate mathimatically. The CDC has already said this is everywhere now. And even if the test worked they have thousands and thousands of back logged samples.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Memysabu]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Swine flu fears for Tasmanian childcare centre

A BABY who may have infected other children at childcare is now being tested for swine flu.

Tasmanian Director of Public Health Chrissie Pickin says she has ordered tests on the eight-month-old to be completed "as quickly as possible''.

The baby was in childcare when it would have been infectious on Thursday and Friday, Dr Pickin said.

"We are providing advice to the child care centre involved,'' she said.

"As a standard precaution we are advising that any child or staff member who is unwell with a fever and respiratory symptoms should be excluded from attendance until they have fully recovered.''

The baby's test results would hopefully be returned within 24 hours, Dr Pickin said. No one in Australia has tested positive for the virus.

The baby and its parents returned from Canada on April 26.

Hope I posted this right.

So Australia now has an eight month old infected, and possible more.

[edit on 4-5-2009 by LenGXV6]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
So the WHO is finally going to go to a level six today or tomorrow?

They should have done it weeks ago.

I suppose now that it's too late they'll finally talk about border closings?

Why the heck is it that we are smarter then those at the WHO and in gov't?

I can't believe I"m at the mercy of these morons. :shk:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

we are going to level 6?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
WHO chief warns of possibility of 2nd wave , saying she is not making a prediction that this will blow up but rather analyzing the scientific risk of this occuring. Defends any decision to go to phase 6 , denying this is scare-mongering and saying they would rather take extra precautions than not have them in place and "it hit" 4 days later for example. All sounds perfectly logical to me.

Read her comments here

And more of her comments from an interview today here

[edit on 4/5/09 by cosmicpixie]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I am not going back through about 20 pages to find my last post but can anyone please explaine to me why the A H1N1 virus is new? Figuring they had a vaccine for it this past year?

I just cant understand it at all figuring they were giving us 3 shots. One was human one was swine and the other is questionable. The 3rd one wasnt even named it just said Like Virus. I believe it was bird flu, that way they could get all 3 together and make us all sick in a new mutated strain.

This is from the CDC:

*A/Brisbane/59/2007(H1N1)-like virus;
* A/Brisbane/10/2007 (H3N2)-like virus;
* B/Florida/4/2006-like virus.

H3N2 is swine and we know already that H1N1 was human so what was the last one? Any ideas? We also know that if bird flu and human flu mutate it would be bad, very bad. So wouldnt the swine and human flu together be bad? Then you add another unidentified one and low and behold?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This is worrying...

She said it was too early to predict what proportion of the population would catch the new influenza strain after the European Union predicted 40 percent of the population would become infected. (Reporting by Ben Harding)

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

The Who chief's comments indicate going to phase 6 but there is no signal as to "when". I imagine within few days though the way they keep mentioning phase 6

Before issuing a level 6 alert, the WHO would need to see the virus spreading within communities in Europe or Asia.

source

[edit on 4/5/09 by cosmicpixie]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonny2410
we are going to level 6?

TV news said this morning that the WHO expects to go to a level 6 any time now.

You are at the mercy of the least committed, weakest member of your "team" in a survival situation. Lesson learned, loud and clear.

In our family, we are fortunate.

I was in the Army. My husband was in the Air Force. We understand 'situations'. I am the driving force behind ... 'get extra supplies ... get extra cash ... are the water barrels full ... but my husband also kicks in with 'make sure we have _____ and get the perscriptions refilled one month in advance just in case'.

I go so far as to have black plastic over the basement windows so no one can see the waterbarrels if they looked in. No one can look in.

Paranoid? Maybe.

We call it being prepared. We call it smart.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

40% of the population?? That's this time around or in the fall when it's supposed to get worse? If it's this time around ... yikes .... how could it get worse? 100% I guess.

I really think this fall is going to be baaaaaaaaaaaaad.

new topics

top topics

<< 267  268  269    271  272  273 >>

join