It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 257
<< 254  255  256    258  259  260 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
www.itv.com...

Swine flu pandemic 'still likely'
Published: Sunday, 3 May 2009, 8:22AM

Despite a fall in the number of serious swine flu cases in Mexico, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned the virus could still become a pandemic.

"Each day there are fewer serious cases and the mortality has been decreasing," Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova said in Mexico City, where millions are following government advice to stay at home.

Of the more than 100 suspected deaths from the new H1N1 virus that have emerged in Mexico, 19 had been confirmed, Mr Cordova said. Mexico had already scaled back from its original estimate of 176 suspected deaths.

But new cases of the mongrel virus, which mixes swine, avian and human flu strains, are still being tracked across the world, with new cases confirmed in Costa Rica, Italy and Ireland. The virus has now been found in 18 countries.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) said H1N1 influenza had not spread in a sustained way outside North America, as required before the pandemic alert is raised to its highest level. But it said that would probably happen soon.

"I would still propose that a pandemic is imminent because we are seeing the disease spread," Michael Ryan, WHO director of Global Alert and Response, told a briefing on Saturday.

In Hong Kong, police quarantined a hotel with 300 guests and staff for one week after a Mexican guest was found to have the virus. Mexico has called the action "unjustified" and advised its citizens to avoid travel to China.

The WHO said 15 countries had reported 615 infections, not including the reports of confirmed cases in Ireland, Italy and Costa Rica. The US, the second hardest-hit nation, has confirmed 160 cases in 21 states.

But public hospitals in Mexico have noted a steady drop in patients turning up with fevers, suggesting the infection rate may be declining as people use hand gel and avoid crowds.

US officials said they were encouraged by the developments in Mexico but added it was too early to relax.

"We are remaining vigilant," said Dr Anne Schuchat of the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.

Almost all infections outside Mexico have been mild. The only death in another country has been a Mexican toddler who was taken to the US before he became ill.

Scientists are still trying to assess how the new virus behaves and compares to regular seasonal flu strains, which kill between 250,000 and 500,000 globally every year.

WHO hiked its alert level to five from three last week - the last step before a pandemic - due to the flu's ability to spread and the threat it could target poor and disease-prone communities.

Not over yet?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonny2410
reply to post by ecoparity

so is your overall view that the people infected with the virus are likely to have trouble 2 or 3 weeks down the line, perhaps leading to death?

I don't have a view on that, I'm just passing on a subject which is on the short list of hot button issues over at CDC / WHO. My opinion is that as of right now victims who are getting medical care, especially preventive medications for respiratory infections will probably recover. It's a bit of a wait and see right now to find out if the early US cases will begin having severe breathing problems 2 to 4 weeks after the infection date.

Such a scenario would quickly overwhelm the healthcare system, even in first World countries. Imagine that same scenario playing out in Mexico...

It's a statistical fact that during large scale disasters like this, once the ball is loose and the public know's what's up and begins to panic the number one cause of fatalities quickly becomes violence. That, combined with the economic impact on an already shaky financial system is why "they" will continue to lie to us until it becomes too obvious to ignore. In fact, they may never tell us the full truth.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity

Originally posted by jonny2410
reply to post by ecoparity

so is your overall view that the people infected with the virus are likely to have trouble 2 or 3 weeks down the line, perhaps leading to death?

I don't have a view on that, I'm just passing on a subject which is on the short list of hot button issues over at CDC / WHO. My opinion is that as of right now victims who are getting medical care, especially preventive medications for respiratory infections will probably recover. It's a bit of a wait and see right now to find out if the early US cases will begin having severe breathing problems 2 to 4 weeks after the infection date.

Such a scenario would quickly overwhelm the healthcare system, even in first World countries. Imagine that same scenario playing out in Mexico...

It's a statistical fact that during large scale disasters like this, once the ball is loose and the public know's what's up and begins to panic the number one cause of fatalities quickly becomes violence. That, combined with the economic impact on an already shaky financial system is why "they" will continue to lie to us until it becomes too obvious to ignore. In fact, they may never tell us the full truth.

ok thankyou , well if you have any other info please feel free to pass it on, im not scared either way and i imagine a lot of other people are interested.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I read somewhere yesterday, I'll look for the source later, but an article stated Mexico was reporting the virus did not start in Mexico but came from a human who was infected with it and that person came from over in the Europe / Asia area. So Mexico is stating that the virus did not originate with them.

Just food for thought.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
entertainment.uk.msn.com...

Singer from N-Dubz (UK pop group) is being tested for swine flu.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Wilimington Delware (Joe Bidens Hometown)
Headlines - News Journal
'Flu Spreads in Delaware'.

Elsmere - Baltz Elementary School - One known case.
School is closed there for one day.

One freak'n day? Don't these yahoos know that the flu virus can survive on surfaces for 72 hours? Even if the janitor comes in and wipes things down ... they never do a complete job.

UGH!

reply to post by JacKatMtn

STAR ANISE

I have that written down from two days ago.
I have to figure out where to find it.
Probably an Asian grocery store ...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
reply to post by Bhadhidar

Star 4 U !

I haven't heard any mention of that reference in quite awhile...

I believe the pocket full of posy's was for a funeral/cremation/pyre offering and ashes, ashes, they all fall down was the reference for the aftermath of the collapsing pyre fires...

I think it was created in response to customs back then of passing down story's in rhyme so future generations wouldn't forget that event...

Sound right?

If memory serves me correctly, the pocket full of posy's was to cover the smell of the disease. People would put them in their pockets and hope that this would ward off infection. People would also attach beak like nose covers on their face to keep the disease from affecting them. Bodies would turn black in color--hence--Black Death as they rotted from the disease.
Just watching NBC this morning and their news summary had swine flu in last place. Funny, in third /fourth place Friday, Sat. it moved up in importance, and today, low on the totem pole again--interesting.

[edit on 5/2/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Hrmm I honestly don't know what to think anymore

So many mixed messages from different news sources, some MSM and other 'alternative' sources all saying conflicting things.

I guess its just one of those things where no one can really give a definitive answer as to whether this virus is done, or only just beginning.

I really do hope its done with. A massive scare and nothing more. Seeing millions upon millions of our fellow man die a horrible death, is something for TV shows and movies. When its real like this seemed to be, what are petty differences?

We are ALL prone to these things, as we are ALL the same, regardless of race, religion or social standing.

Will wait with baited breath for the news its all clear, and we can all get back to debating whether Obama is the anti-christ or not

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Looks like news cover for pandemic alert has increased 90% in last 24 hours.

Economy has run over peoples health? - From those 10% it looks like 90% of all those news are just concerning impact of the virus to the world economics...

"Monday is coming - Back to work - there is nothing more to see here!"

If you feel bad...

H1N1 is here to stay, but do your slavery - And if you get sick - We have the tamiflu for you waiting here --- No, no, no! --- Swine Flu is even less severe than normal flu! ( Unnamed spesialists, "sources said" - they seems to take their loud place in MSM )

I dont buy this crap. Politics and media is so corrupted... Trust - no one!

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
RSOE EDIS - Pandemic Monitor System downgrade their suspected infections from 16 430 to 3768 cases!!!

WTF?

www.idemc.org...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
University of New Mexico-sanctioned trips to Mexico are being canceled because of the swine flu scare.

On Friday, the university suspended all travel to Mexico because of the level 5 advisory by the Center for Disease control.

"Further, the University now advises all UNM faculty, staff and students who are in Mexico for University business or programs to the U.S. from Mexico, return immediately," the school wrote to all students and staff via e-mail.

As a result, university officials say professors are having to get creative with changes to their curricula.

The travel restrictions for students and faculty will remain in effect for the entire month of May, officials said.

Trips to Mexico for certain Chicano Studies classes are getting the ax as a result. Instead of going south of the border, one professor is taking students to northern New Mexico for the lesson plan he is going to teach.

The restrictions are also effecting the annual conference at UNM in which the school invited over professors from Mexico.

UNM spokesperson Carolyn Gonzales says the school doesn't want to put anyone at risk of the H1N1 virus.

“We feel like we need to be taking the necessary precautions to alleviate that risk,” she said.

Officials say depending on how the next few weeks go, travel restrictions might continue into June or July.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
A few posts back we were presented with the possibilities using a exponential of 1.8 and it seems to be very close to those numbers( the only problem I see with these data is reporting from various countries, including Mexico)

here is the original estimate:
Warning: Exponential Numbers of the Swine Pandemia

CDC confirms 141 cases of swine flu in 19 states in U.S., according to the agency's Web site. Quote

28 April there were 99 confirmed cases
29 April there were 154 confirmed cases
Yesterday 30 April there were 212 confirmed cases.
Today 1 May there are 478 confirmed cases
Source:
www.news.bbc.co.uk

EXPONENTIAL GROWTH:
99 to 154 (growth 1.55)
154 to 212 (growth 1.376)
212 to 478(growth 2.254)
Lets assume that growth remains constant at an average of those growth figures (1.822)
That means 2 May expected confirmed cases will be 871
3 May 1566
4 May 2850
5 May 5187
6 May 9440
7 May 17,180
8 May 31,267
9 May 56,907
10 May 103,570
I'll let you do the rest of the math for later periods.

And looking at Wiki this morning reported confirmed cases up to this morning is..........874!

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Columbia

Reports First Confirmed case of H1N1

AP

BOGOTA (AP) — Colombia's social protection minister says a case of swine flu has been confirmed in the Andean nation. It is the first confirmed case in South America

Minister Diego Palacio says the infected person "is in good condition clinically" and is at home with family.

He would offer any more details about the infected person, but said the patient recently returned from Mexico

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
After reading the article on checktheevidence.com that was posted a couple pages ago, my doubts have tripled. Thanks to the person that posted it, truly thank you!

I just don't trust anything coming out of any news sources at all anymore. It is impossible to know who is telling the truth and likely that every darn one of these sources is full of crap. We were told last week on Wed. I believe that test results on the local case should have been back on Friday, but still nothing!

Doesn't it just give you that warm fuzzy feeling inside to know that our "leaders" are more concerned with their freaking economy than the lives of the people?

For me I have additional concerns as I have two beloved family members that are paying their debt to society in prison. I already know if and when this hits the prison system it is going to spread like literal wildfire. I am also smart enough to know that the last people the government is going to do anything to help is people in prison. I know that many of you have no sympathy for those in prison, but if it was your husband and your son you would be out of your mind with fear too. I don't know what the hell possessed me to post this, but I am getting really scared for my loved ones.

later everyone.....red

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Wilmington News Journal, Sunday May 3, 2009

University of Delaware
400 sick with flu symptoms.
Only 10 tested.
10 came back positive for swine flu.

The TV news isn't reporting the real numbers.
The CDC is refusing to test everyone who has this.
They want the public to see low numbers.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Im not doubting your numbers m8

they are disturbing

Im just curious (open question)

Why are they fudging the numbers, ?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seany
Why are they fudging the numbers, ?

So that the world doesn't panic when it sees what is really coming?
So the economy doesn't tank right away?
Dunno ... but they definately ARE downplaying the numbers.

400 sick with flu at University of Delaware.
Only 10 tested ... all positive for Swine Flu.
The News then just reports those 10.

Nothing is said about the 400 or the people those people came in contact with.

It's criminal.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I have CNN on atm

and they said, 168 confirmed, in the US

Ive looked at the growth Threads , and no matter what they say

Its just a matter of DAYS before its to big to be contained

[edit on 3-5-2009 by Seany]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Story Here

The Obama administration says it has taken an 'aggressive approach' to stopping this swine flu.

OH? Aggressive?

Did they close the borders? NO. Did they do anything other than tell people to wash their hands and to stay away from sick people? NO.

:shk:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Sunday morning...MSNBC is reporting this...

"Mexico's health secretary said 11 people were suspected to have died from the virus in the previous 24 hours. "

If that is true, why are all the mass media trying to downplay the virus and say it is "mild"? It seems to me that there is a concerted effort to calm people down so there won't be any mass panic. They don't want people fearfully staying home from work tomorrow or fearfully clearing the supermarket shelves. That would explain the propaganda.

11 new deaths in the last 24 hours? That should be big headline news but it is buried inside a sidebar article.

This thing continues to spread like wildfire and continues to kill in increasing numbers. That's what I am getting from facts that anyone can find right now on the web if you look closely.

I think we should not let our guard down for the foreseeable future on this, although many suckers out there are buying into the "mild" theme in the propaganda and are looking the other way.

What is weird is the incubation period. Something tells me it is longer than 2 - 3 days like they're saying. I think it must be much longer. The toddler who died in Houston got a fever on April 8 and died on April 28. That's 20 plus days, not 2 days...which means there could be thousands or even millions of people now infected who don't know they are infected. I know the CDC are not saying that, but it could be a possibility.

top topics

<< 254  255  256    258  259  260 >>

join