It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by asen_y2k

Originally posted by andy1972
news headlines here in Spain now...3 detained in madrid airport returning from Mexico with flu like symptoms...now its a 2 continent epidemic....as they say here in Spain "QUE GUAY" (which means "brilliant"...meant sarcastically)

A plane is the best place to spread a viral infections, people in close proximity in a closed environment. They could have easily contracted the virus without showing immediate symptoms upon arriving in the airport. They could pass through the immigration and spread the virus among the populous. I can see this spreading

I wonder how many of those other people they came into contact with got on connecting flights to other regions of Spain or even other regions of Europe.

I'm also thinking that this is either going to become very wide spread, very fast or it will blow over very quickly. With that in mind I'm even considering keeping my children off school just to see which way it does indeed blow. Anyone, else concerned about going to work or sending their kids to school.

Am I just being hyper sensitive and unduly concerned about nothing? Sometimes it's difficult to see the wood from the trees and to know how to react to situations.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Experts were puzzled by the pattern that in Mexico, it was affecting mainly young adults and causing serious respiratory disease including pneumonia, while its effects in the US appeared milder and aimed at younger victims.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

It is under server load. It took quite a while to load this morning.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
So i just read this snippet..........

"At a White House news conference, Besser and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano sought to assure Americans that health officials are taking all appropriate steps to minimize the impact of the outbreak."

I work in a upscale hotel 3 hours from the arizona/mexico border ad 7 of our employees went to mexico over the weekend to visit their families and such, some have family members who are sick with this virus! Now if your free to go back and fourth across the border to visit family members.....how are you not possibly bringing the virus back into the US???

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

I am primarily very worried because my son has a immune defiency that limits his ability to combat even the most common of virus'. I've almost lost hime twice to Pneumonia and a Bronchitis we call Mono here in NB.

And since this is an ever mutating virus, or has the capacity to do so very easily, I am afraid that it might jump to something far more sinister and not have the proper medications to help him fight it off.

If any of these things reach NB I'm going to have to quaranteen the poor child.

~Keeper

Well that might be the very thing to save his life. Its not the virus that is killing the people who get it, its their own bodies reaction to it, their immune systems are over-reacting to it and causing them to die.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
No idea if someone has already posted this in the vast sea of flu threads:

Scots tourists in swine flu alert

Two people have been admitted to a Scottish hospital after returning from Mexico, where more than 80 people have died after contracting swine flu.

Ms Sturgeon said there was "no immediate threat to public health in Scotland".

Ms Sturgeon said: "The World Health Organisation (WHO) has said UK planning for a flu pandemic is among the most advanced in the world but we cannot afford to be complacent.

"The Scottish Government takes the threat of a flu pandemic very seriously and have been working with local responders for a number of years to ensure that Scotland is in the best possible position to manage an emergency on such a scale.

"The H1N1 swine fever virus is sensitive to the antiviral drugs Tamiflu and Relenza. We have significant stockpiles for Scotland."

The WHO has warned that the new strain of the swine flu virus that has killed 81 people in Mexico could become a global pandemic.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 26-4-2009 by AR154]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by InterWeb

I can only hope that would be the case. His is very different from most immune defiency however. It not only allows the virus to propagate easily within his body, but also produces certain enzymes and cells that benefit the virus.

My husband, who is a pediatrician describes it basically as a spawning pool for a virus looking to mutate or advance to the next level. My son's body would kind of act like a catalyst.

Then again whenever he gets a sniffle we deal with it appropriatly so in the event anything were to happen hopefully we will catch it soon enough.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by trig_grl

Its a big word game man, it is here in the US, but people are not dieing of it thats the thing.....
But yea we should close our borders and stop air etc to better the chances of this becoming something less rather then something more.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Can some one post a complete list of all countries and at this point; all probable countries.

Mexico
USA
Canada
UK
Spain
France
New Zealand
Scotland
What about the Central and South American countries?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Uhhh...I hate to pop everybody's bubble about this being the end of flu season, but isn't the flu season just starting in the southern hemisphere?

Given the global reach of this bug, it could be just starting to pick up steam in South America, Australia and the like. Keep a sharp eye out there.

But we should know a lot more in about 72 hours. If the case numbers don't reach triple digits in the US by then, it shouldn't be too bad here.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

You can add Turkey as well. I don't know of any other places than the ones you havel isted.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Its so strange that only people in Mexico are dying from the virus. I was wondering if the virus has already mutated there, and the cases we are seeing outside mexico are the original unmutated H1N1 strain. The mutation of this virus is the scariest thing for me. Who knows what horror it could manifest into while it thrives in the overcrowded conditions in Mexico city. However, we need to wait a few days to see the full picture and recieve more detailed information on the actual strain thats being transmited before we panic and take to the hills!

link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
Can some one post a complete list of all countries and at this point; all probable countries.

Mexico
USA
Canada
UK
Spain
France
New Zealand
Scotland
What about the Central and South American countries?

The UK is not a country and Scotland is in the UK. So far, Scotland (being one of the four countries within the UK) is the only one with a "feared" case (or two)

Scotland
England
Wales
Northern Ireland
Above is the United Kingdom.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by InterWeb]

link   

Originally posted by northof8
OBAMA GREETED IN MEXICO BY MAN WHO DIED DAYS LATER OF FLU SYMPTOMS...

Link

Wow... That is insane.

Media is reporting the man died from "pneuomonia"...........

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
2 in brazil, 12 in columbia, maybe 1 in peru...

en.wikipedia.org...-15

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I've been reading all the posts and info I could find on this for a couple of reasons;

One being that I traveled to NY City in mid-March & met up with a co-worker from California. One of the people attending the event with us was really sick & within days of getting home, both myself & my friend in California were sick with the flu. It took us both until Easter to kick the bloody thing & now I'm wondering if we came across one of the earlier cases of this & just didn't know it. (We were in contact with people from all over the US & Canada)

Two being that I was just reading up on the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak two weeks ago & it has made me a bit more worried about this new one.

This is one of the articles I read. abcnews.go.com... It's from 2005 & it talks about how the Spanish Flu took about a year of smaller waves before it turned into a pandemic.

Now my concern is that if this Swine Flu does mutate, and this is just the first wave of a much bigger spread of infection; how quickly will this virus mutate into a much deadlier version considering how mobile humans are today? That is what has me concerned the most. Also, how many people have been infected that won't even know it for 2-5 days? How many will they expose before they even show symptoms?

I just know at this time I'll be watching what happens over the next five days very closely before deciding if I need to be worried.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma

Most suspected flu patients in Mexico now healthy
Calderon said more than 900 people had been declared healthy and nearly 400 others with flu-like symptoms were in hospitals being checked.

Link to Article

Two thirds were declared healthy. How will the remaining third fare?

If two thirds have been cleared and there is no antibody how did that happen?

Or if the y are getting a false positives, they have just sent out carriers.

If we believe what we have heard so far there is no way there is already a cure for it based on the fact that it is a mixture of more than three virus.

H1N1 has some kind of a cure?

H5N1 has a cure?

My understanding is the "bird flu" that has been around for about three years does not have a cure for human patients.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968

Originally posted by lucentenigma

Most suspected flu patients in Mexico now healthy
Calderon said more than 900 people had been declared healthy and nearly 400 others with flu-like symptoms were in hospitals being checked.

Link to Article

Two thirds were declared healthy. How will the remaining third fare?

If two thirds have been cleared and there is no antibody how did that happen?

Or if the y are getting a false positives, they have just sent out carriers.

If we believe what we have heard so far there is no way there is already a cure for it based on the fact that it is a mixture of more than three virus.

H1N1 has some kind of a cure?

H5N1 has a cure?

My understanding is the "bird flu" that has been around for about three years does not have a cure for human patients.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I remember the "Pig Flu" in the early 1990's in Okinawa.

I was in the Marines back then and they tried to force us to take a non-FDA approved vaccine for it. Almost came to blows w/ a staff sergeant for refusing. I had too many friends come back from the Gulf War with the "Gulf War Syndrome". Didn't know what it came from, Just remember my friends being forced to take drugs for Nerve and Chemical agents we feared Saddam would use.

It was fresh on my mind that the vaccines themselves could possibly have caused the Gulf War Syndrome. I refused the Pig Flu Vaccine.

Anyway, what I remember about it was:

Pig Flu was common in Okinawa. It affected swine (Obviously), but was transmitted to humans by mosquitos. The effect on humans was a particulary severe flu where, even if you recovered, it caused swelling to the brain (I guess because of high fever) which lead to brain damage.

I don't remeber the name of the vaccine.
Supposedly it was well tested and effective (All Okinawans took it) but, was not FDA approved.

Again, I didn't take it. I just know the vaccine was out there and supposedly effective.

Edited for spelling

[edit on 26-4-2009 by ActivePatriot]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Opps, anyway the bird flu is combined in this new strain meaning there is no cure yet

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join