It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_awoke

April 26 (Bloomberg) -- Russia suspended imports of all meat from Mexico and the U.S. states of Texas, California and Kansas shipped after April 21 on concern about the spread of swine flu, the country’s veterinary watchdog said.

The suspension also affects pork from Guatemala, Honduras, the Dominican Republic, Columbia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Nicaragua, Panama, Salvador, and the U.S. states of Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Florida, the watchdog added in a statement on its Web site today.

Swine flu, known as the H1N1 virus, originated in Mexico where it has been linked to as many as 81 deaths.

Travelers arriving in Russia from the above areas will have meat products confiscated, the watchdog, known as Rosselkhoznadzor in Russian, said in the statement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.bloomberg.com...
pid=20601087&sid=ag2C9oa6f4Ck&refer=worldwide

How ridiculous. Obviously eating pork doesn't cause it.
They're probably just capitalizing on this in order to further damage us economically....thats Russia for ya!

Personally, I'm having a BLT for lunch.

When Avian flu fears spread across Asia I recall photos and videos of thousands of chickens and other birds being culled.

How would this be different? Why would there not be any swine culled? It is also funny how they are saying that none of the infected have had contact with swine.

Maybe some were infected by eating undercooked pork. I know I used to enjoy my pork roast a little pink in the middle.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Update from the two individuals in Scotland, UK.

Ms Sturgeon, who is also deputy First Minister of Scotland, said "19 or 20" people in Scotland who had come in contact with the two people now in hospital had been traced

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Skyne ws

[edit on 26-4-2009 by infinite]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma
When Avian flu fears spread across Asia I recall photos and videos of thousands of chickens and other birds being culled.

How would this be different? Why would there not be any swine culled? It is also funny how they are saying that none of the infected have had contact with swine.

Maybe some were infected by eating undercooked pork. I know I used to enjoy my pork roast a little pink in the middle.

All medical sources have said that this is not transmittable by consumption of pork products. I was able to find a CDC page stating as much:

Can people catch swine flu from eating pork?
No. Swine influenza viruses are not transmitted by food. You can not get swine influenza from eating pork or pork products. Eating properly handled and cooked pork and pork products is safe. Cooking pork to an internal temperature of 160°F kills the swine flu virus as it does other bacteria and viruses.

I don't know anyone who eats pork without cooking it to at least that temperature. If someone wants to eat it without doing so first, be my guest, but swine flu will be only one of many potential health problems for you.

I assume the chickens that were culled during the avian flu outbreak were slaughtered to prevent further spread throughout the chicken population of facilities.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
ALEX JONES TV SWINE FLU SPECIAL REPORT...................

Just about to watch this myself, thought id share it with who ever wanted to watch

www.prisonplanet.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
So other than the fact that people are dropping at a higher than normal rate and the virulence seems to be more potent, what are the differences between this swine flu and some normal strain. Is there any info on incubation periods, or any info on specific symptoms so that people who happen to be having some normal flu won't start panicking?

The reason I ask this is that I have been having a bug for the last few days. Other than feeling like crap, I am taking it very well and other than having my first ear ache since I was 5, there seems to be nothing strange.

My fiancee on the other hand practically can't get out of bed and hasn't been eating. She works at Ronald Reagan/UCLA medical center as a nurse and has been feeling ill as of Friday when she was last on the job. I am seriously close to making a call to someone but something tells me that would be idiotic.

We both have jobs that put is a lot of contact with a lot of people, with me being someone who travels all over southern California. I am pretty worried and there have been a lot of " Oh expletives" flying out of my mouth since the news on the swine flu broke.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

It seems that details are sketchy at best...the CDC hasn't really gotten a chance to properly analyze this yet.

Personally, I wouldn't panic.
I think the key here, as I heard yesterday, is if you wouldn't have gone to the doctor/hospital beforehand if it were a flu, then there is no need to go now. If you feel that bad-GO! by all means.
They just don't want the emergency rooms to become out of control.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

My fiancee on the other hand practically can't get out of bed and hasn't been eating.

I think you should think about getting her some help.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

Please do make that call. The illness needs to be tracked. God forbid it's the same thing, but you have an obligation to the world to report this and be tested. God Bless!!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Just an unpleasant thought

From what I have been reading... this swine Flu has only been affecting the 20 - 45 year old range
"It is killing three to four patients daily, and it has been going on for more than three weeks."

news.bbc.co.uk...

It has only been killing those ( I am assuming ) of Hispanic decent. Whereas those of a different nationality get sick but recuperate quickly.

To me this seems genengineered.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by MonoChromeWrayth]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

MAKE that call,

You fiancee deserves it, and also the other people you would come into contact with if you do not, and one of you has the infection.

Lets be clear about this, a Influenza Virus that has a mortality rate, and is new, is already confirmed in America, even in a country with good health care many will die maybe 1 in 100 even if only those who ever get it.

Not making the call if one of you has this is the same as being complicit in murder if you could do something to stop it on a Karmic level.

MAKE the call NOW, for you and your Fiance and anyone else who you may come into contact with if you dont, and one of you does have it.

I really dont see the reason behind not doing it?

As said the Influenza Virus is in the US, it does appear to have a Mortality rate of 1 in about 100 and you are wondering whether you should?

MAKE the call, cancel work for tomorrow, and get the tests done NOW!

Elf.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

US Declares Public Health Emergency Over Swine Flu.

I'd say at this point,it might be best to really start to take this all a bit more seriously,I think I am going to.

It's all over the place now.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MonoChromeWrayth

I guess we'll know more when a Mexican-American comes down with it. Too early to argue such details. Keep an eye on trends and patterns as we do with all conspiracy theories and connect the dots as we go.

All we can do is take proper precautions until we know more.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I had the flu about a month and a half ago. To confirm I had flu a nurse took a sample of my mucus with a nasal swab.

Maybe there are some of you out there in the medical field that can answer my question.

Are influenza test's a reagent test? Something similar to a OTC drug test or HIV test? Or does the sample need to be looked at under a microscope?

If the test is a simple reagent type test, it would make good sense to make these available to citizens to use at home. It would definitely help cut back on the overburdening of hospitals. Plus hospitals can be a breeding ground if they are packed with people just trying to get tested.

I know the test cannot determine swine flu but it would help weed out people with some kind of flu from people that have a cold/allergies/etc.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

I already have been asking around UCLA about this and if anyone else has been feeling sick within the clinic. Other than that, my fiancee is calling me an idiot.

By the way, I had a job in the San Ysidro area and spent 3 days of the last week within San Diego. Crap. Why doesn't this news break out sooner?

[edit on 26-4-2009 by wutone]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
11 reported cases in Colombia.

1400+ in Mexico

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Swine flu potentially in Middle East now.

www.news24.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
www.news1130.com...

4 confirmed cases in Nova Scotia, 2 in British Columbia....

To Be Continued....

link   
i dont know if anyone posted this already but its a map of all swine flu cases in the world, very scary indeed

maps.google.com...,-110.390625&spn=59.906843,114.257 813&source=embed

[edit on 26-4-2009 by T0XiK]

link   
we *should* be having people dying in the states by now if this was some superbug, especially if what some mexican doctors are saying is true (ie: it's been going on for at least 3 weeks and progression to death can happen in 5 days). the movement of people from mexico to california alone would have many more cases than we've seen, and certainly some deaths.

instead everyone appears to have a mild to moderate case of flu.

is this just an indictment of the mexican medical system?

seems like that would be a reach, or wishful thinking.

but what other explanations are there?

link   

Originally posted by MonoChromeWrayth
Just an unpleasant thought

From what I have been reading... this swine Flu has only been affecting the 20 - 45 year old range
"It is killing three to four patients daily, and it has been going on for more than three weeks."

news.bbc.co.uk...

It has only been killing those ( I am assuming ) of Hispanic decent. Whereas those of a different nationality get sick but recuperate quickly.

To me this seems genengineered.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by MonoChromeWrayth]

ummm...last I heard there wasn't enough genetic difference between the different human cultures to create something that only targets one culture.

Most likely the only reason its killing people in Mexico is due to statistics. Consider there has been a reported 1300 people who went to hospitals, of those 81 died. Now consider the number of people in Mexico that are "mildly" sick that never go to the hospital. Odds are if the virus spreads more you'll see similar percentages everywhere, the only reason people outside Mexico haven't died is because not enough got sick yet.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join