It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 204
<< 201  202  203    205  206  207 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

i have not heard the tv saying stock up mainly because i dont watch tv but i do have the radio on all day and i have not heard anything but dont wait till they say stock up, do it before i know people wont do it untill the govenment says to do so. avoid the rush and stock up and if it does turn out better hey you dont have to go shopping for a couple of weeks

the Uk is too dependent on our mistake ridden govenment.

Other than that the UK rules they have the best football team in the world The Might Nottingham Forest, hmmmmm should i risk going to the match on sunday ?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Honestly as fast as things are moving, i would not be suprised at all if they upgraded to 6 today at all.
Which a lock down of a few days may not be a bad idea. at least slow the spread a little until they can do more test and get people more help. The only problem is how long is a few days. And how much damage finacialy will that do to the average person.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

The WHO didn't hold a meeting before upgrading the Level to 5. It is likely we could see an upgrade today, Britain and Germany both have human-to-human transmission.

By the way, the nurse in Germany has made a full recovery. Like so many people have said, unless we are being lied to, there is absolutely no need to upgrade to Level 6.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bullhorn
By the way, the nurse in Germany has made a full recovery. Like so many people have said, unless we are being lied to, there is absolutely no need to upgrade to Level 6.

The WHO Pandemic levels have nothing to do with how many people die. It has to do with how the infection spreads and where it spreads to. This swine flu fits the requirements for Level 6.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Do they have to upgrade to Level 6 when the human to human spread is detected in a third and fourth country ? Even if the spread is slowing ?

Is that the main criteria for the upgrade......?

On the issue of stocking up on supplies.....where is the harm? I say be prepared, and many have said....expect the worst and hope for the best.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
for updates on the Flu just need to google it and there ya go , and personaly i think that if anything their going to downgrade the level back to 4 by monday.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by celticniall

No ham, but bacon sandwiches last night were sure good.. almost fixed them again tonight.
Just think all that Jucy Ham gone to waste in India .. what a shame.. Wonder if i paid postage if they would air mail the meat to me? *lol*....

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Well I've already begun sorting supplies and am off again in a minute. Aiming for 3 months worth of everything

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   

In theory, only one confirmed human-to-human infection in another country requires an upgrade. We've had four.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Well Cosmicpixie i also went out yesterday and spend almost my entire month salary on items with a shell live of at least 2 years.
My wife was a bit surprised when i can back from the store with a cars packed with food but at least i can sing this one out for at least 40 days without having to leave the house....

I also got 500 gallons of water stored and bought me a shinny new generator and fuel i the SHTF really big.

Medication, vitamines and first aid stuff are also stored in my cellar.

Now i know this could all be a little over the top but i always wanted to be preparred and i guess now i am.

I hope this whole thing will blow over and everybody can have a good laugh about my paranoia but atleast i don't have to go the store the next couple of weeks!!

Peace

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

On what premise?
The infection rate has increased. Its not based on deaths.

Spanish Flu fatality rate was 2-5%, but the infection rate was 50-60%

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by severdsoul

No ham, but bacon sandwiches last night were sure good.. almost fixed them again tonight.
Just think all that Jucy Ham gone to waste in India .. what a shame.. Wonder if i paid postage if they would air mail the meat to me? *lol*....

forgive me, I am not sure what you are getting at here dude.....

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Sorry if this has already been posted, usually I stick to only the NZ media for info, but was just doing a little nosey on the US sites just now....

Source

Possibility Probed That Swine Flu Originated in Border Region

Doctors tracking swine flu in California are investigating a new theory: What if it didn't originate in Mexico but instead had been floating around the border region for months?

Growing evidence in California suggests that early flu cases had no apparent origin in Mexico. Many of the early California victims — including the first two cases — say they hadn't traveled to Mexico and had no contact with pigs. Some may have fallen ill before the first Mexicans did.

Those cases contradict the conventional understanding of how the strain originated. They could also offer important clues about the future trajectory of the disease. Other cases here and in other states, as well as abroad, have clear links with Mexico.

The first case discovered in California was a 10-year-old boy in San Diego County, who fell ill with a fever March 30.

Health authorities stumbled upon the case by chance. The boy had a throat swab taken at a clinic during a random check, a common procedure by health officials to monitor illness around the U.S.-Mexico border. "We got lucky," said Chavez.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Why is the lethality difference between the US and Mexico still "hot news" in the media? Let me clear this up once and for all...

People in Mexico do not go to the hospital unless they have been run over, shot or are clearly about to die. They don't have health insurance and most people rely on self treatment, even home births are common among the poor. The virus probably seemed like a bad flu or food poisoning (very common there) until day 4 or 5 when the breathing problems began. By the time the victims went to a hospital they were among thousands of other people all competing for very few respirators. When the true number of deaths comes out, if it is allowed to come out - the World will be shocked. I have it first hand from family in Mexico city that the hospitals and streets around them were packed with people coughing up blood, vomiting blood and drowning to death on the floor / ground.

In brief: The number of victims needing help to breath overcame the Mexican health system's ability to treat them, mainly due to the length of time and severity of their conditions at the time they sought treatment / were able to get through the crowds waiting for treatment.

In the US we had prior warning and people go to the ER for health issues Mexicans will suffer until death - ingrown toe nails, rash, bloody nose, etc. There are quite a few US victims currently on respirators and more using breathing treatments to overcome the stage of the infection which has killed so many. Nebulizers, bronchial dilators, etc are being prescribed for people in order to prevent them even getting to the place where they require a respirator. Infected caught early enough are being given anti-virals which at this point seem to be able to reduce or eliminate the breathing problem stage of the immune response.

Right now, the hospitals are becoming saturated. If we do see a rise in US fatalities it will probably be a result of victims who did not take the threat seriously and delayed getting medical care or the healthcare system in the US not being able to give adequate respiratory treatment to a rising number of victims. This is why we need to take the threat seriously and respond "as if" regardless of indications of hype or cover up or whatever. If the number of victims in active distress rises high enough it won't matter what attitude or approach you took, you may not be able to get the medical care needed to preserve your life at that point.

It's all about time, the number of infected and ongoing mutations of the virus now. The best thing you can do is avoid infection and stop gathering in large groups with no protection. The spread of the virus can only be stopped if the pool of potential victims is reduced or eliminated. Unfortunately, people seem completely unable to take a strategic, intelligent approach and would prefer to be one of the many, treating it all as if there is no threat at all. In this scenario, we are all at the mercy of the most irresponsible among us.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by ecoparity]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

I believe, if I have understood correctly, the human to human transmission has to be outwith the immediate area/continent of primary infection, like Europe or Asia.

Once the UK case is confirmed, does this automatically raise the WHO level to 6 as that is Mexico, US, Canada, and UK....fits the criteria?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Swine Flu, Equine (horse) Flu, Bird Flu, Sars, AIDS, CJD etc......
Until I see healthy people around me effected, then I will believe this one!!!!
It seems to me- If the media has to hype something for people to take notice; ITS GOTTA BE CRAP!!!
THE MORE HYPE- THE MORE CRAP!!!!! ( use that as a scale)

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by celticniall
Once the UK case is confirmed, does this automatically raise the WHO level to 6 as that is Mexico, US, Canada, and UK....fits the criteria?

Spain will most likely result in an upgrade, their human-to-human transmission is more sustained than that in the UK (as far as we know)

British Prime Minister has told us today that more cases will occur in the United Kingdom and we should brace ourselves.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   

thats true and i saw a report today that said the docs belive this flue is contaigus to over 50% of people and has a death rate of 2%-8% depending on what data figures youre using. so although this virus isnt the black death it may be as fatal or more fatal than the 1918 spanish flu that killed millions....what im worried about is it mutating to something really nasty and comming back next year....this isnt a worst casse senario virus but its definatly not the run of the mill seasonal flu

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   

They'll never ever suggest people stock up like that as it would cause a panic, price gouging and all shops to be empty by the end of the day.

Think they'd rather we worked that part out for ourselves and deal with the consequences if we get it wrong.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
idont think the pandemic story is drying up....but i think the media are disapointed in a wierd kind of way because outside mexico the swine flu on the whle has been mild so far, i guess some media types would be happyer if people were dropping like flys & the situation would be more hopeless !!!!.
i think level 6 is not far away as we seem to be seeing some people catching it without having visited mexico, so swine flu is unstopable in that way for now, no cure on the horizon for now, & a fairly high chance of swine flu mutating over this summer.
it may copy the 1918 in that come the end of this summer & it may get realy nasty, lttle by little we are learning about this bug, but for now bug has the upper hand on us.
i did see a scietific map on sky news last night about how this swine flu may spread over the uk, the bigger citys started turning red first then the smaller towns & villages & onto all coastal towns, at one point the entire uk looked red!!!, but then as people got better from swine flu infection, green patches appeard to spread from coatal areas villages town & lastly big citys.
the message i got from this was, we are all going to get swine flu, some are gonna die most will survive & then we will all be ammune to it.
unless you have a spare planet with no swine flu on it i find it hard to believe any one can avoid this, unless you live in a very remote area & have no human contact.
& since this thing is a flu ask your selves this
have you ever had the flu in your life ?
how many times have you had the flu in your life.
i think over 90% of the world have suffered flu already.
i dont know how many will catch this swine flu but ide guess in the future as this swine flu continues to mutate most of the world at some point will get ill from it.
iether way time will tell.

top topics

<< 201  202  203    205  206  207 >>

join