It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 199
<< 196  197  198    200  201  202 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieSlayer
Canada Updates. Thursday April 30. 2009.

Canada doing all that's needed to respond to swine flu: PM
www.cbc.ca...

Nova Scotia confirms 4 new cases of swine flu
www.cbc.ca...

1 confirmed case of swine flu in Quebec
www.cbc.ca...

Alberta confirms 4 more cases of swine flu
www.cbc.ca...

Vernon school closed as swine flu cases in B.C. climb to 11
www.cbc.ca...

Japan’s first suspected swine flu case linked to B.C.
www.vancouversun.com...

@#$@#$
Now I have to call my gramma and make sure she's ok!

(thanks for the links, wouldn't have known otherwise)

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wyleecoyote
My husband just flew into the states last evening from Mexico. We live in an area that hasn't been affected by the virus, but there's no way for them to know that in the states. He was wearing a mask, flew in from Mexico City, yet was never questioned about his health by anyone, NOT ONCE. He was told by airport security that they were not allowed to wear masks because it would cause the public to panic.

Virologist Ruben Donis, chief of the molecular virology and vaccines branch at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said he "saw figures that do scare you." If the folks at the CDC are seeing figures that would scare you, why is no one questioning travelers coming in from Mexico?

Jeez.. there it is again.
Let's not panic anyone with masks... it could be used as a preventative measure to keep yourself from contracting and or spreading the virus if you may have it, but gosh darn it... the masks are just so darn SCARY...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Talked to a local doctor, he says no cases here yet and he's not very worried about this outbreak. According him, there are flu epidemics every few years and it's no big deal.

If he's right things will die down, if he's wrong I expect the first cases around my region in the next few days as I'm fairly isolated.

Don't want to say where I am, this is just a personal anecdote to cut through all the doom and gloom. At the moment I'm not at all worried about this, despite all the fearmongering (followed by the sale of [insert product here]).

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
OK...somethings going on now...I'm seeing to many strange emergency declarations and what not... Hmmm...

News Release from: Oregon Military Department OREGON NATIONAL GUARD MOBILIZING FOR LARGEST DEPLOYMENT SINCE WORLD WAR 2less than a minute ago from TweetDeck

[edit on 4/30/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Cases confirmed where I am now, but you know, I'm not terribly worried yet. The Colorado health fellow pretty much said if you get it, stay home and get better. Go to your doctor if need be, but otherwise stay home and recover.

Still think this is vastly overblown, but I am still very confused about two things. One being the quick rising levels and ominous warnings by WHO, and the deaths in Mexico versus everywhere else. It just doesn't make sense.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
OK...somethings going on now...I'm seeing to many strange emergency declarations and what not... Hmmm...

News Release from: Oregon Military Department OREGON NATIONAL GUARD MOBILIZING FOR LARGEST DEPLOYMENT SINCE WORLD WAR 2less than a minute ago from TweetDeck

What the crap does that mean. Did they give any indication as to why.

Since ww2 that is concerning

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
2 more probable swine virus cases turn up

The New Mexico Department of Health says there are two more likely cases of Swine Flu in New Mexico, bringing the total to four.

Deborah Busemeyer, spokesperson for the Department of Health, says the two new samples are from a 14-year-old female and 15-year-old male from Socorro County.

"The Department is investigating the four probable case to determine contacts and exposure," Busemeyer said.

Two previously known probable cases of swine flu showed up in an 18-year-old male from Valencia County and a 1-year-old male from Santa Fe County. The health department says the two had no exposure with schools or contact with Mexico that would cause their illness.

Officials are trying to determine if the teens with the two new cases Thursday had an exposure to schools.

"We are gathering information as quickly as we can," said Health Secretary Alfredo Vigil, MD.

The state has sent all four probable cases to the CDC for evaluations. The Department expects to receive information from the CDC on the first two probable cases late Friday.

The one year old has recovered and sent home with his mother the 18 year old remains hospitalized.

As a side note these 4 persons live hundreds of miles apart from each other

[edit on 30-4-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by pcgeek

What the crap does that mean. Did they give any indication as to why.

Since ww2 that is concerning

Odd, I seen that bit of report too, I have no idea what thats all about??

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

I'm in OR and haven't heard of this yet.. going to check it out on Oregon live...

nada,zero postings on Oregonlive.com; not sure how you got this info Hx3.. can you find any more sources for this ??

[edit on 30-4-2009 by Komodo]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Wisconsin...some city's in Cali and another SW state declared emergency's today...

Damm strange is what it is...getting concerned now with news starting to dry up way to fast fer my liking...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
www.oregonlive.com...

Could it be for ceremonies scheduled May 2nd and 4th?

I am digging...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Mexico begins shutting down as flu fears spread
www.reuters.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarmthofSunlight
Talked to a local doctor, he says no cases here yet and he's not very worried about this outbreak.According him, there are flu epidemics every few years and it's no big deal. If he's right things will die down, if he's wrong I expect the first cases around my region in the next few days as I'm fairly isolated.

Don't want to say where I am, this is just a personal anecdote to cut through all the doom and gloom. At the moment I'm not at all worried about this, despite all the fearmongering (followed by the sale of [insert product here]).

No offense, either your doctor doesn't understand the gravity of the situation or you are being lied to.

According to him, there are flu epidemics every few years and it's no big deal.

The only flu epidemics we have experienced are Influenza B strains. This is also the only type of flu we have immunity to due to years of flu injections, or having influenza.

We as a people have never seen this type of flu before. Not even the Pandemic flu of 1918.

This may give you a better understanding of why we are in a critical place.
I can assure you this is not fearmongering, this is the 'real deal'

Here is a little more information regarding the differences between Influenza A and B and why finding a vaccine is going to be difficult.

Influenza B viruses are only known to infect humans and seals,[1] giving them influenza. This limited host range is apparently responsible for the lack of Influenza virus B caused influenza pandemics in contrast with those caused by the morphologically similar Influenza virus A as both mutate by both genetic drift and re assortment.[2][3][4

To sum up, Influenza B is found only in humans, with the rare exception of being found in seals. Influenza A is found in humans but also in animals. Before this new genotype of Swine flu, it was very difficult for a flu found primarily in animals such as Bird flu to make the jump to infecting humans. i.e. you almost always have to consume an infected animal to get Bird flu. In order for a genetic drift to take place their must be several mutations. This is a complicated process and yet extremely important. Humans have zero immunity to any type of animal gene. The only immunity we have is to Influenza type B.

Most of the flu vaccines we have on hand have been manufactured to protect against Influenza B. This is due to the fact that Influenza type B., mutates at a rate of 2-3x slower than that of Influenza A, allowing time to find the an effective vaccine. We don't have a vaccine to protect against Influenza type A. With a virus that changes so quickly it will be difficult to find one.
So now we have a virus that spreads easily, mutates rapidly and we have no immunity towards. Someone has come up with the 'perfect lethal virus'.

I would like to add, when I speak of vaccine, I am not referring to the well known antivirals such as Tamiflu or Relenza, I am speaking of the 'old fashion flu shot'.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Wisconsin...some city's in Cali and another SW state declared emergency's today...

Damm strange is what it is...getting concerned now with news starting to dry up way to fast fer my liking...

Ok I am in Wisconsin and have heard nothing about declaring emergency. Just word of mouth of how full all the er's have been at most hospitals.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by iggster]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I could not believe what I heard on my upper midwest local news tonight. The reporter was interviewing the local hospital and asked what one should do if they suspect they may have swine flu. The response (by a clearly pregnant healthcare worker was, "Just come on into the clinic. We cannot test you over the phone. We have the meds for it!" Then the reporter followed up with, "Have there been any people in for testing for the flu?" The response, "Oh, A few." OK, so the plan is to potenially expose the pregnant, the unborn, the elderly, children, and the sick at the clinic. GREAT PLANNING!!! We have no known suspected cases reported here. Also, on national news tonight, brief intro on swine flu and then they did not expand on the story until the end of the broadcast--ummm when noone is still watching. The gist was, mild cases here, no big deal! WHO says this is seriuos and could affect all of humanity and our national news in US says "No big deal". OK I am confused too. Someone is lying...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by iggster

Governor declares state of emergency in Wisconsin, announces five probable cases of swine flu
Gov. Jim Doyle says there are five probable cases of swine flu in Wisconsin
www.fox6now.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Ok I stand corrected. Governor Doyle did declare a puplic health emergency today and there are now 5 suspected cases in Wisconsin.
www.nbc15.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
It looks like HX3 was quicker on the draw then me. Sorry all. Now I am starting to get a lil nervous as I do have 3 children ages 4 , 8 and 11. I worry for them.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Hmmm...

Governor declares state of emergency
www.kjrh.com...

Governor declares state of emergency for swine flu in CA
www.indybay.org...

Governor declares state of emergency
www.okcfox.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

The only flu epidemics we have experienced are Influenza B strains. This is also the only type of flu we have immunity to due to years of flu injections, or having influenza.

I beg to question this. 1957 was A flu as was 1918 [tho it may have been a mix] and most flu strains that infect humans are avian.
link

Last years flu vaccine had 2 A flu strains and 1 B strain. There is an A strain in the vaccine every year.

I am just quoting fact. I don't take the vaccine myself.

new topics

top topics

<< 196  197  198    200  201  202 >>

join