It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 198
<< 195  196  197    199  200  201 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I am an infection control nurse in north Texas and just want to say that Fort Worth Public health is the envy of many of my peers across the area because it is so involved and proactive in the community. We send in weekly the number of ILI's (influenza like illness...fever and cough or sore throat) within various age ranges. We also send the number of flu tests performed and whether they were positive for influenza A or B. I am sure there are many communities that do the same. This is done in order to get insight into when things may be heating up.

Fort Worth is getting a lot of heat in the media but if the 13,000 number for the state is correct then they are ahead of the game and being proactive. I listened to a later broadcast on our local NBC station and that number wasn't mentioned...probably got a phone call...there was no correction. There has also been mention that the more lethal Mexico strain may be circulating in Texas. Consider our large border with Mexico and the fact we had the first death with 2 more in critical condition.

Our local ABC channel just said there are 5 confirmed in Ft. Worth with 15 pending.

Only time will tell if Fort Worth is a laughing stock or a community to be emulated.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
My husband just flew into the states last evening from Mexico. We live in an area that hasn't been affected by the virus, but there's no way for them to know that in the states. He was wearing a mask, flew in from Mexico City, yet was never questioned about his health by anyone, NOT ONCE. He was told by airport security that they were not allowed to wear masks because it would cause the public to panic.

Virologist Ruben Donis, chief of the molecular virology and vaccines branch at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said he "saw figures that do scare you." If the folks at the CDC are seeing figures that would scare you, why is no one questioning travelers coming in from Mexico?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
wheres dustin hoffman when you need him

or perhaps he tried and was silenced again!!!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
reply to post by elitegamer23

No...not really...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 4/30/2009 by Hx3_1963]

wolf blitzer was talking about how this whole thing might be blown way out of proportion and cnn had someone in mexico city saying it seems it has peaked.

also this flu isnt as bad as first though. a microbiologist analized it and called it a mild flu that is nothing as bad as the spanish flu.
was a welcome news day when i thought we would be seeing deaths in the usa by now.

maybe i just want to only hear the good news anymore.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiohazardsBack

Originally posted by FlyersFan
THEY HAVE!
take a look at these ...

Story Here

I think I'd go for the skeleton.

I would go for the oink! lol
It doesn't seem to fit my avatar very well though. (must be because all I have is Paint
)

The skeleton is by far the best...
Ahhhh the Human species... they burn out fast... but damn they love their fashion accessories

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
wheres dustin hoffman when you need him

or perhaps he tried and was silenced again!!!!!

thanks to whoever gave the star. i thought it was rather funny. but seriously. this thing is out of control. the flashing level 5 on ats home page is ridiculous.... if we take a step back, dont we all just think this will blow over in two weeks and be forgotten about..

meanwhile... what did we miss in all the hubpub????

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I was listening to NPR earlier, on the way to get some food and water and the Doctor they had on said that most doctors can not test for the virus because they don't have the necessary testing kits and that to be tested one would have to go to the ER for that to be done... but to call the ER first to let them know you think you are having symptoms so they can prepare for you before you come down.
Just me? Or do we just make things more difficult for ourselves to get things accomplished?
I assume this is why we don't hear anything very quickly.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Tarrant County Public Health, in cooperation with other local, state and federal health agencies, continues to monitor, investigate, contain and stop the spread of H1N1 (swine) flu in the county. To date there are 5 confirmed cases and 15 probable cases of H1N1 (swine) flu. No hospitalizations or deaths have been reported. All cases are recovering well.
Confirmed Case Information:
• 2 locations: Euless (2 confirmed cases), Fort Worth (3 confirmed cases)
• Age range: 11 months to 37 years
• Onset of illness dates range from: 04/20/09 through 04/26/09
• 1 school with confirmed case (FWISD – McLean Middle School)
• None have travel history to Mexico
• 2 confirmed cases are mother and son

Probable Case Information:
• 2 locations: Euless (1 probable case), Fort Worth (9 probable cases) • 5 probable cases still under investigation
• Age range: 2 years to 34 years
• Onset of Illness dates range from: 04/22/09 through 04/27/09
• 4 schools with probable cases (all in FWISD)
o 3 probable cases at South Hill Elementary
o 1 probable case at Westcliff Elementary
o 2 probable cases at McLean Middle School
o 1 probable case at McLean 6th Grade Center
• 1 probable case with travel history to Mexico

Tarrant Co. Public Health.

Check your local health dept. website for updated information.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by liveandlearn]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Any one here getting any search.twitter or veratect updates???

It got like *bam* quiet after slamming all day..."clog" or shut down?!?!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
This should help everyone sort out the difference in suspected, probable and confirmed cases

* Interim Guidance on Case Definitions to be Used For Investigations of Swine-Origin Influenza A (H1N1) Cases*

April 30, 2009 10:00 AM ET

This document provides interim guidance for state and local health departments conducting investigations of human cases of swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus (S-OIV). The following case definitions are for the purpose of investigations of suspected, probable, and confirmed cases of S-OIV infection.
Acute febrile respiratory illness is defined as a measured temperature 100 degrees Fahrenheit and recent onset of at least one of the following: rhinorrhea or nasal congestion, sore throat, or cough.

Case Definitions for Infection with Swine-origin Influenza A (H1N1) Virus (S-OIV)

A confirmed case of S-OIV infection is defined as a person with an acute febrile respiratory illness with laboratory confirmed S-OIV infection at CDC by one or more of the following tests:
1. real-time RT-PCR
2. viral culture

A probable case of S-OIV infection is defined as a person with an acute febrile respiratory illness who is positive for influenza A, but negative for H1 and H3 by influenza RT-PCR

A suspected case of S-OIV infection is defined as a person with acute febrile respiratory illness with onset
* within 7 days of close contact with a person who is a confirmed case of S-OIV infection, or
* within 7 days of travel to community either within the United States or internationally where there are one or more confirmed cases of S-OIV infection, or
* resides in a community where there are one or more confirmed cases of S-OIV infection.

source

edit to post link

[edit on 30-4-2009 by liveandlearn]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I listed this on my own thread this morning. In light of the current situation I felt it important enough to put here as well.

I have this motto I try to live by, "Prepare for the worst, Expect the best."

Being an R.N., I have spent time thinking about what I can personally do to help people prepare for this imminent Swine Flu epidemic. I have compiled a list of common sense things we should have on hand in the event we are hit hard by this Super Bug.

1. Disposable gloves. Packages of about 10 pair are available at any drug store or super market.
2. Soap either antibacterial or just regular soap.
3. Plenty of straws.( I'll explain in a bit ).
4. At least 5 boxes of acetaminophen. 5 boxes of Ibuprofen. (Any brand will do).
5. sterilized small knives
6. Any bandages 4x4's would be best.
7. Several boxes of Antihistamines. Zyrtec, Benadryl, Claritin, Etc. (Over the counter or prescription.)
8.Any prescription you have for bronchial dilators. Asthmatic's, you will know what I mean. Try and fill at least 3 months worth.
9. Any prescription you have for Antibiotics. Old or new! In an emergency it won't matter.
10. Over the counter Cough Medicines, (Your choice) At least 3 bottles, *Remember to have medications dosed for children! Pediatric dosing is always done by weight. Age does not matter.
11. Antacids
12. Antidiarrheals(over the counter)
13. Cough Drops
14. Masks * Are Not Going To Help Much, because viral particles are so small they will get through.* However, they will reduce the AMOUNT of particles that you are exposed to. ( the one's at Home Depot or Lowe's are as good as any hospital mask's) * YOU WILL NEED TO SECURE THEM TO YOUR FACE WITH TAPE IN ORDER FOR THEM TO BE SOMEWHAT EFFECTIVE. * Very Hard To Breathe with them on.
15. Tape ( paper tape would be best, if you can get it.
16. Rubbing Alcohol

* Any Prescription you take on a regular basis. Fill at least 3 months worth.

Here are some natural remedies that will boost your immune system and help prevent infections.

* At least 1 bottle of Colloidal Silver( Try and find 10ppm, it will say on the package)
You will find this at any health food Store.
Silver is a natural Immune booster. *START TAKING TODAY* You only need 5-7 droppers a day. = 1 teaspoon. It is formulated for Children and Infants.

* Garlic Powder, Minced or Fresh will work. Garlic is an Antibiotic. * Many people die after getting the flu due to secondary bacterial Infections.* Ear Infections are a biggie. Ear Pain is horrible!! It can be relieved by placing 1 cap full of Olive oil in your Ear followed by a Cotton Ball. It Works!! I don't know why, but it does! I have personal experience with Ear infections.

* Cinnamon will help with stomach Ailments as well as diabetic problems and will also help lower your blood pressure, naturally. No more than 1 Teaspoon dissolved in Hot Tea or Hot Water( If things get really bad).

* Turmeric Has great healing properties. Boost your immune system. Did you know India has the smallest incidence of cancer, because they eat so much Turmeric.

Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures.

In the event that you are facing a LIFE THREATENING EMERGENCY and your loved one can't Breathe AND ALL HOSPITALS ARE FULL, YOU CAN DO SOMETHING AS A LAST RESORT................* THAT IS IF, THEY WILL DIE IF NOTHING IS DONE!*

Perform an emergency tracheotomy:

You will be creating a very small hole in the patients airway through an incision in their throat to assist their breathing.

How to Perform an Emergency Tracheotomy This procedure, technically called a cricothyroidotomy, should be undertaken only when a person with a throat obstruction is not able to breathe at all-no gasping sounds, no coughing-and only after you have attempted to perform the Heimlich maneuver three times without dislodging the obstruction. If possible, someone should call for paramedics while you proceed.

This is an excellent article with diagrams on exactly how to perform this procedure.

Bookmark this link! You may need It. [www.tracheostomy.com...]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by wyleecoyote

I want to remind and warn everyone about letting your guard down because the news of this Swine Flu seems to be drying up and getting mellow. There are a couple of things that do not sit right with me about what we are hearing and what we are seeing.

1. WHO does not raise their levels for nothing. In fact, WHO has never raised their level at all. Even during SARS and Bird Flu. It has always been a 3. Now it is a 5. Two levels in less than about a week. By the way, you do not come out and say that all of humanity is in danger one day and then nothing the next.
2. The information from Mexico is all but dried up. I am always suspect of nothing but bad news coming out of one place and then a government locks it down and then starts to say things are looking better.
3. This virus has not gotten to third world countries yet. This is where the real crap can hit the fan. No real healthcare and no real way of figuring out if someone died of swine flu or something else. Let us not forget that a lot of disease and viruses either came from places like Africa or Asia or got there and became a lot more deadly.
4. Along the lines of #3, all it takes is one mutation in a virus to make it deadly. Just one person, in one place. That is it.
5. I think Joe Biden ( even though I cannot stand him ) was telling the truth this morning about not getting in closed in spaces with groups of people. Of course the White House came out and talked for him after that, but what he said in the interview was his personal gospel truth with the information that he has. ( By the way, I think he has a lot more up to date information that what we have. )
6. I personally think the reason the death rate has not hit here in the U.S. is that our healthcare situation is way better here than in Mexico. Along those same lines I also think that you could have a lot of people very sick but on respirators. That is what happened to the 23 month old in Houston. This child went into the hospital on April 12th and did not pass away until April 27th.
7. The White House had someone get sick that traveled with them to Mexico and all they could talk about was how Obama was fine because the sick man never got within 6 ft of the President but at the same time it is okay to fly and take the subway? What? Come on!
8. With all of the doses of medication that we are giving to people to "help" them get over this swine flu does that not increase the chance that the virus becomes immune to it? Are we on the verge of creating a Super Virus?
9. Actions speak louder than words. Mexico shuts down 99% of their government and tells people to stay inside through May 5th. Businesses shut down. No public gatherings. This tells me that all is not well or "leveled off" in Mexico.
10. In all briefings by the W.H., CDC, DHS and whoever else they can put in front of a camera they all say the same thing, " We are in this for the long haul. We expect worse medical conditions and more deaths." No much to read in between the lines on there.

Look, I am like all here that would love to see this thing burn out and never return again but the science does not back that up. It is here and it is here to stay.
Be alert and be aware of everything big picture wise.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Thats what it did last night, i was up around 3am , and it was dead for about 2 hrs.
Its real odd that it is happening during the day though.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bonesinis

To be honest, these levels have only been in place for a small time...

Its dying down cause people are realizing not to freak out and we will all move on and live.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
USA

AP: Health officials: Number of probable swine flu cases in Illinois more than doubles to 41.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by asala]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wyleecoyote

Don't be stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bonesinis

6. I personally think the reason the death rate has not hit here in the U.S. is that our healthcare situation is way better here than in Mexico. Along those same lines I also think that you could have a lot of people very sick but on respirators. That is what happened to the 23 month old in Houston. This child went into the hospital on April 12th and did not pass away until April 27th.

I agree with you on this with the addition that it has not been going on as long outside of Mexico and it could take a while for people to deteriorate or develop a secondary infection or the citokine (sp) storm.

We all have to remember we don't really know what is going on...only the occasional leak.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Canada Updates. Thursday April 30. 2009.

Canada doing all that's needed to respond to swine flu: PM
www.cbc.ca...

Nova Scotia confirms 4 new cases of swine flu
www.cbc.ca...

1 confirmed case of swine flu in Quebec
www.cbc.ca...

Alberta confirms 4 more cases of swine flu
www.cbc.ca...

Vernon school closed as swine flu cases in B.C. climb to 11
www.cbc.ca...

Japan’s first suspected swine flu case linked to B.C.
www.vancouversun.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Just heard from someone that there has been a confirmed case in Granbury, Texas. I am waiting to hear back where their source came from.

Also heard that Little League sports in Granbury have been suspended.

Like I said, I don't know how true this info is and I'm trying to find out sources but wanted to get the info out there.

new topics

top topics

<< 195  196  197    199  200  201 >>

join