It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 196
<< 193  194  195    197  198  199 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by celticniall
Is this reason to panic??

There is never any reason to panic. It stops us immediately from thinking clearly.
But - what we see as panic sometimes - is just the natural inclination to move quickly and/or make provisions for a possible emergency.

If our mate or friends or co-workers laugh at us -
then we really feel as though we are panicking
instead of, again, being conscious of and/or
making provisions for a possible emergency.

You have every reason to want to be prepared - for taking it seriously enough that
you will take precautions and use your common sense.
Don't be spooked into thinking that this is wrong thinking.
You are just preparing and paying attention.
It's a good thing.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
this is making me tired
nite nite i hope i wake up in the morning and it was all a dream, and im really a millionaire on a yacht about to roll into bali !

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Science Insider

Excellent Interview: CDC Head Virus Sleuth

Virologist Ruben Donis, chief of the molecular virology and vaccines branch at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, spoke with Science Insider at length last night about the swine flu virus causing the current outbreak.

Q: It does suggest that mixing didn’t happen in Mexico.
R.D.: Probably not (from Mexico). The amazing thing is the hemagglutinins we are seeing in this strain are a lonely branch that have been evolving somewhere and we didn’t know about it.

Q: Is there anything I didn’t ask you that I should have?
R.D.: We all pray this remains sensitive to antivirals. We all hope that vaccines will be developed. The virus doesn’t grow very well in eggs. We hope the virus will improve [the] ability to grow in eggs so we can produce [a] vaccine very quickly so these secondary and tertiary cases can be controlled. In some countries there’s good surveillance, but in others, who knows.

Q: Does this one scare you?
R.D.: I saw figures that do scare you. We’ve received 300 samples from Mexico, and these cover the span of February, March, and April. And you look at flu A, traditionally it’s A/H1 or A/H3 or it's B up until the end of March. There are two or three cases up to [the] last days of March that are swine. Then in April they skyrocket. So all the cases in the D.F. areas, where most samples came from, it really transmits very efficiently.

Q: Flu is a seasonal disease that peaks in winter. Maybe this will end in the United States with the end of the flu season.
R.D.: We’re in a good position. The folks in Buenos Aires are in trouble. They’re entering winter now.

See link for full interview.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
this was 2 hrs ago in Los Angeles, Ca;

April 30, 2009
CONFIRMED SWINE INFLUENZA CASES IN LA COUNTY: 0
Latest Update

A message from
Jonathan E. Fielding, MD, MPH
Director of Public Health and
Health Officer

A new variation of the influenza virus known as swine flu has been detected in parts of California and several other states and countries. We have not found any confirmed cases of this new strain in Los Angeles County, but we do expect that this type of flu will spread. In the U.S., the good news so far is that those with this virus have had only mild or moderate symptoms. However, in Mexico preliminary data suggests this may cause a more severe pattern of infection...more

So, I'm sure this will change but was surprised to see there were no confirmed cases here. People sure haven't changed. My experience today made me realize how some people put themselves in a bad situation... If the S does HTF, people are gonna get nasty.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by celticniall

Panic? No. Panic is never a good response.

Today is a beautiful day where I am, chores to do, preparations still to make, but beautiful. Life goes on as life always will. But...

Am I concerned? Damned straight. Concerned enough to implement stringent precautions. Why? Because as near as I can figure we are about 4-8 weeks behind Mexico in the infection curve. There is no immunity to this bug. You most probably will get sick if exposed. You also most probably will recover with no major consequences. But 1 to 6% will also probably die.

350+ million US citizens with zero immunity means at least 100 million ill, even with precautions; 1-6% mortality means 1-6 million dead. Simple conservative epidemiological math.

Outside of good hygiene and isolation, there's not much you can do about this, sooner or later you will get it, with a 94% chance of recovery. Good for you, bad for the 6%.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by apacheman]

[edit on 30-4-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
o.k....Just want to share this with everyone...

Looked on the Google H1N1 map and followed this link to the news article because I live in Tennessee and this is close to where I live...

The patient, a 30-year-old female, is from Kentucky, but was visiting family members in LaGrange after returning from a trip to Cancun, Mexico on April 21. She has been hospitalized in LaGrange since April 26.

Mexico has been identified as the source of the swine flu outbreak.

The woman went to Cancun April 17 and flew home to Kentucky four days later with chills and fever, chalking them up to sunburn.

She and her 5-year-old daughter drove to Atlanta two days later for two days of shopping, before a rehearsal dinner and wedding in LaGrange over the weekend.

Sunday, she got herself to the emergency room at West Georgia Medical Center.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This lady was on a air plane ...With fever and chills...contagious...
Went home to Kentucky...
Drove to Atlanta...shopped for 2 days at a mall...sick...
Then went to LeGrange Georgia...

This is one person...Wonder how many people she spread this to...???
From April 21st till April 26th...???
Five days.......

Hmmmm...???

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Numb2itall
this was 2 hrs ago in Los Angeles, Ca;

April 30, 2009
CONFIRMED SWINE INFLUENZA CASES IN LA COUNTY: 0
Latest Update

A personal thank you for this update.
There were people coughing and spewing and sneezing like crazy when I was out yesterday - but they do that a lot here....
so fingers crossed....

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Dr. Manny explains why the flu is less strong in the USA

Well .. it's his opinion anyways.
He says it has to do with Americans getting flu shots all these years.
Built up an immunity .... or something.
Read and see.

(we dont' get flu shots in this house, so I guess we haven't built anything up)

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Sorry...Here is the link to the post I made a minute ago for those who want to see it...

www.wsbtv.com...#-

It is just one typical person...

How much traveling she did sick...

Think of hundreds of people doing that...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Well just back from local supermarket (Bournemouth,Dorset,UK) and it was as empty as normal. Shelves still full and nobody else seemed to be topping up on canned goods, dried fruit,nuts,candles....
So I have been beaten the panic buying, which I am sure will be starting soon (whether it's real or not) the coverage will have people panicing here soon.
Hope for all our sakes, its all hype, but its better to be as prepared as you can be, after all if you have bought correctly you will be able to eat it all anyway, and who knows what's just around the corner.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Yes, about the woman traveling all over the country visiting family, shopping and such. Just imagine how many door knobs she touched, elevator knobs, etc. Not to mention I heard someone say this can even spread on money, not sure if thats true or not.
So, just imagine all those nasty fast food workers who handle money and then make your sandwich.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

I know, how would we ever know with all the pollution? Part of my daily ritual in the morning is blowing my nose from all the crap I was breathing in the night before.
I surprised that nobody has come out with some sort of trendy face mask... so as not to frighten everyone as they walk by... Did you catch that news clip yesterday? I know they say the mask are ineffective but to say that wearing the mask sends a frightening message to people... Honestly, what is more frightening... the mask or risk of getting this bug?!?!?!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Story Here

More than 300 schools in the USA are now closed due to Swine Flu.
Wish they listed them ...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I surprised that nobody has come out with some sort of trendy face mask...

THEY HAVE!
take a look at these ...

Story Here

I think I'd go for the skeleton.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

wearing the mask sends a frightening message to people... Honestly, what is more frightening... the mask or risk of getting this bug?!?!?!

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Don't wear a mask it will 'frighten' people! LMAO!

People who spread messages like that need there .s examined.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I know, how would we ever know with all the pollution? Part of my daily ritual in the morning is blowing my nose from all the crap I was breathing in the night before.
I surprised that nobody has come out with some sort of trendy face mask... so as not to frighten everyone as they walk by... Did you catch that news clip yesterday? I know they say the mask are ineffective but to say that wearing the mask sends a frightening message to people... Honestly, what is more frightening... the mask or risk of getting this bug?!?!?!

Well - I think you probably gave Paris Hilton
an idea with that trendy face mask comment!

It really is about "how do I look" ?
I wanted to wear a mask to work yesterday and my boss said -
What? Um... NO way... You'll scare people.
So - taking precautions is scaring people???
(although - clearly the mask I have would be minimal help at best)
Gosh - if we don't get over ourselves already...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I haven't seen this in this thread so I figure it is worth a mention.

As many of you may know Alex Jones has been covering this story like crazy. I am now listening to today's program and he says that his site was the subject of a cyber attack that shut him down for a time. You know AJ, he is sure it is the government. Who knows, maybe they don't like what he is saying. With so much obvious lying coming from the "officials" it looks like many people are searching alternative sites for some truth.

Funny, ats went down for a bit today too. SO said it was due to heavy traffic, yes sir, people are hungry for the truth. Lets hope we get it.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

Travelers Screened at US/Mexican Border for Flu:

"Mexican citizens could be refused entry to the United States if they test positive for swine flu, although we haven't had any cases yet," U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman Mike Balero told Reuters from Washington."

Will no doubt get juicier on a political scale now?

Guess he didn't get the "name change" memo,LOL!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I went to another store today in Ottawa and nobody seemed to know. Someone was buying a couple bottles of coke and some pudding, one lady was just getting some vegetable oil on sale.
On the bus I didn't touch a single thing (thanks to sensors by the doors that you just have to move your hand under), and when the person in front of me started coughing I opened the window with my sleeve and stuck my nose right up to it.
I really don't think anyone knows enough about this. Not here.

Yesterday I was talking to someone in Saskatoon who said "well theres no cases here", so I showed him the map stating 4 suspected cases. Explained the level 5 pandemic thing. He shrugged it off completely. Laughed at me for even suggesting he fill some empty bottles with water.

The shelves were completely full, though I couldn't find any gloves. I was directed to the "mom washing dishes" yellow kitchen-y gloves though so I don't think they knew what I meant.

I definitely broke this month's food budget though. Just from trying to stockpile, in the past 3 days. (I was under-budget by a long shot before too, its sad)

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

That's what they said last night.. not sure if it was KCAL or not...
Been flipping to so many different news stations I can't remember but the reporter walked around with a mask on to test peoples reactions.
Ridiculous... is putting it softly

new topics

top topics

<< 193  194  195    197  198  199 >>

join