It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 193
<< 190  191  192    194  195  196 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I had exactly this thought about China a few days ago? Still no cases there?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Just saw on Cnn news, Wolf Blitzer says the whole thing is overblown, yet WHO seems to be taking it seriously so I 'm left to wonder, who are we supposed to believe?

It seems like it is a 50/50 split of opinion here, half believing this is going to get bad, the other half thinking it is overblown. I'm left scratching my head & wondering WTH is going on in reality.........

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
where did everybody go i need news!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by celticniall

What's the problem? It's flu, big woop. Your buying into the media hype. Almost all those who have died have come from mexico where healthcare sucks arse and people are not exactly the paragon of health anyway..

Anyone elsewhere just has "mild" symptoms.

I had a real bad flu last year where I was 100F+ for 2 days, had aches, pains and a fierce cough for a week. I didn't even go to the doctor, self-medicated on painkillers and even managed to take the kids bowling. Did I die? Evidentally not, I was just a bit poorly for a few days.

What's the freaking fuss about?

[edit on 30/4/09 by stumason]

Perhaps this will help you understand why this Influenza strain is different and critical.

Influenza B viruses are only known to infect humans and seals,[1] giving them influenza. This limited host range is apparently responsible for the lack of Influenza virus B caused influenza pandemics in contrast with those caused by the morphologically similar Influenza virus A as both mutate by both genetic drift and re assortment.[2][3][4]

To sum up, Influenza B is found only in humans, with the rare exception of being found in seals. Influenza A is found in humans but also in animals. Before this new genotype of Swine flu, it was very difficult for a flu found primarily in animals such as Bird flu to make the jump to infecting humans. i.e. you almost always have to consume an infected animal to get Bird flu. In order for a genetic drift to take place their must be several mutations. This is a complicated process and yet extremely important. Humans have zero immunity to any type of animal gene. The only immunity we have is to Influenza type B.

Most of the flu vaccines we have on hand have been manufactured to protect against Influenza B. This is due to the fact that Influenza type B., mutates at a rate of 2-3x slower than that of Influenza A, allowing time to find the an effective vaccine. We don't have a vaccine to protect against Influenza type A. With a virus that changes so quickly it will be difficult to find one.
So now we have a virus that spreads easily, mutates rapidly and we have no immunity towards. Someone has come up with the 'perfect lethal virus'.

I would like to add, when I speak of vaccine, I am not referring to the well known antivirals such as Tamiflu or Relenza, I am speaking of the 'old fashion flu shot'.

link[en.wikipedia.org...]

[edit on 30-4-2009 by paxnatus]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Hey guys, remember this guy, Darknight. The guy that suposedly walked out of civilisation in March 2009, if this turns out to be a full blown pandemic, his timing was on the button wouldnt you think?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie

Posted by Mayo Clinic today April 30:

You're not alone in your confusion about the current swine flu outbreak, which seems to have started in Mexico near the end of the regular 2008-2009 flu season. Since then, the swine flu strain of influenza has also been reported in the United States, Canada and Spain. No one knows whether this particular swine flu will become pandemic — that is, whether it will affect large numbers of people in wide geographic regions.

Swine flu is one of the many type A influenza viruses. It's unusual for humans to catch swine flu, but occasional cases occur, usually in people who have contact with infected pigs. Like other flu viruses, the swine flu virus changes its DNA as it spreads, giving rise to a number of subtypes.

Health officials around the world are concerned about the current swine flu outbreak because:

It's caused by a new strain of swine flu virus, which means humans haven't had a chance to develop antibodies that could be used to make a vaccine. The new strain is a variant of a recognized swine flu virus — swine influenza virus H1N1. The new form contains DNA sequences from human and avian influenza viruses, as well as from other strains of swine influenza.
It's spreading rapidly in the hardest-hit areas of Mexico.
The infection progresses rapidly. In those most severely affected in the Mexican outbreak, potentially fatal respiratory problems developed after less than a week of coughing, aches and fever.
In Mexico, the death rate is unusually high among those who develop respiratory distress.
In the United States, the same new strain of H1N1 swine influenza has infected some recent visitors to Mexico and their household contacts. So far, the infection has resulted in relatively mild respiratory illnesses in this group.

Why is there such a big difference in severity? One possibility is that the virus mutated to a less dangerous form around the time it showed up in the United States. Another, more sobering possibility is that the severe illness linked to swine flu in Mexico is the result of viral mutations that haven't yet appeared in other countries — but possibly will in time.
--James M. Steckelberg, M.D.

www.mayoclinic.com...

[edit on 30-4-2009 by Bombeni]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
What im thinking is that the National Guard is guarding the stockpiles of the medicine or ,whatever is in those boxes, because there may be a mass panic about to happen. There may be something coming out soon that will make the masses go crazy maybe?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
CNN just now on Blitzer...National Guard Mobilized by 5 states to protect TamiFlu stockpiles.

Er...TamiFlu is stockpiled? They showed an empty warehouse with dudes standing around a pallet of (allegedly) does of TamiFlu.

Also Relenza per Janet Napolitano. She says they're moving it out to states with confirmed incidents.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by ~Lucidity]

They are guarding it because it is about to break that we are already at level six. People are going to want tamiflu BAD and they have to make sure t goes to those who actually have the darn piggy flu!
Trust me tamiflu isn't going to be the only thing in that warehouse. According to the preparedness manuals for most all states they are to stock that warehouse with items to keep medical, civil servent and military personel on scene safe guarded. They may also be allocated to be used to store things like medical supplies.
In many of the manuals I have read today they ALL stated that when it hit hard they would be required to set up secondary site's to treat people and take information on the area the person (s) are from. If there are many people from one local that area is to be under quarentine.
So if they start to have to lock area's off etc. people are going to get nervous and we all know their are some crazy people out there that would try and steal it just to make a buck.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie

The MSM gets talking points handed to them before going to air. They'll tell you what it's thought "best" for you to hear at the moment.

This MANBIRDPIG virus is now in nearly every country on Earth. It is highly contagious and there is no defense as of yet available. It is moving faster than the 1918 pandemic so far due to air travel and possibly some nefarious spreading of it.

Currently we are at Level 5. That really is close to martial law. At this stage they can go door to door and inoculate you against your will. That's pretty serious.

I'm told we'll be at Level 6 on Monday if this keeps up.

Other countries stop travel to Mexico. We actually encourage it. That's exactly the opposite you'd do if you wanted to stem the flow of infections.

NEWS FROM A DOCTOR WORKING WITH THE FEDS WHO ASKS TO REMAIN ANONYMOUS: 'CDC info given to him is much different from that in the MSM. People can be infecting each other and not know they carry the virus. This will lead to fast spreading of the virus.'

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
A supercomputer model done by Los Alamos National Laboratory in 2006 plotted the course of a hypothetical avian flu pandemic, showing it lasting three to four months and peaking in two to three months.

The research showed that in a highly mobile society, air travel restrictions did little to stop the spread of the virus, said Tim Germann, a Los Alamos computational biologist who was one of the study's authors.

"It slightly slows down the spread, but it's really almost negligible," he said. "All it takes is a few people to feed the local outbreaks somewhere."

Such ideas as thermal scanning to identify people with fevers isn't effective either, Germann said. People are infectious for 12 to 24 hours before they show symptoms, and some people who have the flu virus never show any symptoms or just mild ones, he said.

Other steps taken in isolation don't do much either, he said.

What works better is a combination of interventions — drugs to combat the flu virus and ways to keep people away from each other, such as telecommuting for work, closing schools, and taking hygienic measures such as people wearing masks and frequently washing their hands, he said.

Researchers are working to develop a vaccine against swine flu. If all goes well, it would be available in about six months, in time for the next flu season, Germann said.

It's unlikely an epidemic would build up through the coming summer in the northern hemisphere, he said, since flu typically is not widespread in the warm months. The southern hemisphere, however, is just entering its winter season.

source

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
CNN just now on Blitzer...National Guard Mobilized by 5 states to protect TamiFlu stockpiles.

Er...TamiFlu is stockpiled? They showed an empty warehouse with dudes standing around a pallet of (allegedly) does of TamiFlu.

Also Relenza per Janet Napolitano. She says they're moving it out to states with confirmed incidents.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by ~Lucidity]

they must guard the tamilflu because this stuff has to be worth more then coc aine right now.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Hi fellow Texan!

I took it more like "We have your back..." See these boxes? We are guarding them day and night so you will sleep better confident that we will "save you" should the need arise.

I'd bet a lot there is nothing resembling Tamiflu in those boxes.

Photo op anyone?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ignorance Denied
Hey guys, remember this guy, Darknight. The guy that suposedly walked out of civilisation in March 2009, if this turns out to be a full blown pandemic, his timing was on the button wouldnt you think?

wow, very interesting stuff ! is he for real u think ?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
i dont know whether to think this will blow over and its just mild or its going to get worse

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonny2410
i dont know whether to think this will blow over and its just mild or its going to get worse

I guess it would depend on who you believe, some experts say it will likely get worse, others say it is nothing.

I guess we will all have that answer soon enough.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by binkatonka

He sounded pretty convincing to me at the time of his thread, summer last year it was..

Put it this way, he's probably safer than any of us are at this very moment..

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

For members that are new to Dark Knight

Please refer to that thread to discuss:

Let's keep on track here.

-Kdial1

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I remember reading that thread & I thought, this guy is putting a lot of faith in one person's info. Now, it's either really freaky timing or pure luck that he bugged out right before this all began. (That is, if any of it was true to begin with, which we have no way of knowing.)

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Fromn where I get latest overall statistics about pandemic most easy? US-World? --- Any recently updated calculator?

Thanks guys!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by lynn112
Just saw on Cnn news, Wolf Blitzer says the whole thing is overblown, yet WHO seems to be taking it seriously so I 'm left to wonder, who are we supposed to believe?

It seems like it is a 50/50 split of opinion here, half believing this is going to get bad, the other half thinking it is overblown. I'm left scratching my head & wondering WTH is going on in reality.........

The way I see it is like this.
They have no hope of containing this outbreak. No matter what precautions you take this will spread like wildfire. The best we can hope for is try to slow the spread by canceling public gatherings.
They ptb know this. At the same time they are trying to prevent panic.
That is why you are seeing conflicting reports and advice. When it is all said and done they will correct because they mentioned it

new topics

top topics

<< 190  191  192    194  195  196 >>

join