It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 184
<< 181  182  183    185  186  187 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
GA may have it's first case. Reporters are staking out the CDC in Atlanta.

I agree that they should have closed the borders and grounded flights two-three weeks ago. This is bull.

Andrea what's her name on MSNBC just talked to some Mexican official who gave the absolute LAMEST excuse for not closing the borders...emergency workers and supplies to aid with the disease need to get through? Well DUH let THEM through but keep everyone else in and out. She asked him if he didnt see the disconnect between closing business and schools and still allowing air travel and border crossings. He pretty much DUH'd that one too. Tnis doesn't make sense.

Some countries are serously considering denying flights in and ut of there. Again I say too little too late.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
# US, New Jersey: CDC Confirms State’s First Five Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) #swineflu1 minute ago from web

For the record, Spanish Flu fatality rate was small (5%) It just infected so many individuals that it became lethal. This what the WHO is worried about.

Yes, I see that. I just wish they'd hurry up and tell us more, it's incredibly tense all this "waiting to know more" and quite exhausting too as it's very hard to switch off from. Do you have any idea about how long we may expect to wait until they have a clearer picture on this virus and where it appears to be headed ? If they go to phase 6 and we still don't know all that much, there is going to be so much panic and we won't even be sure if this panic is warranted. God, what a bloody drama and I'm sick of all the making lists and prepping !

[edit on 30/4/09 by cosmicpixie]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
# WHO reports a total of 257 cases of influenza A (H1N1) infection globally. #swineflu2 minutes ago from web

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Key developments on swine flu outbreaks, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization, and government officials:

_Deaths: 168 in Mexico, eight confirmed as swine flu and rest suspected. One confirmed in U.S., a 23-month-old boy from Mexico who died in Texas.

_Sickened: 2,955 suspected and 99 confirmed in Mexico. Confirmed elsewhere: 120 in U.S.; 19 in Canada; 13 in Spain; eight in Britain; three in Germany and in New Zealand; two in Israel; one each in Switzerland, Austria and the Netherlands.

_In U.S., CDC confirms 109 cases and state officials confirm another 11. CDC confirms: 50 in New York, 26 in Texas, 14 in California, 10 in South Carolina, two each in Kansas and Massachusetts, and one each in Indiana, Ohio, Arizona, Michigan and Nevada. State officials confirm five in New Jersey, three in Maine, two in Colorado and one in Michigan.

_Several hundred schools close nationwide, with at least 200 in Texas and 62 in Alabama, plus scattered closings in New York, California, South Carolina, Connecticut, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Arizona, Ohio, Utah, Washington state, Michigan and Maine.

_The World Health Organization increases its tally of confirmed swine flu cases around the world to 236 from 148.

_The World Health Organization says it will stop using the term "swine flu" to avoid confusion over the danger posed by pigs. It will instead refer to the virus by its scientific name, "H1N1 influenza. A."

_The Obama administration comes out against closing the U.S.-Mexico border. Vice President Joe Biden says it would be "a monumental undertaking" with limited benefit.

_Public health emergency declared in the United States and roughly 12 million doses of Tamiflu from federal stockpile to be delivered to states.

_Texas Gov. Rick Perry issues disaster declaration, and state suspends all high school sports competitions until May 11. Texas school closings affect 130,000 children.

_Two leading U.S. makers of respiratory masks ramp up production to meet heavy demand from pharmacies.

Link

The Obama administration comes out against closing the U.S.-Mexico border. Vice President Joe Biden says it would be "a monumental undertaking" with limited benefit.

translation: "it's really expensive and it will take a lot of work. Since we've never really done it before I think we'll just let it be for now."

[edit on 4/30/09 by CSquared288]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Dallas ISD is closing one of it's schools because of a confirmed case. I don't see the Texas confirmed cases rising as fast as they are claiming there is a confirmed case closing schools.

On another note, I talked to my mother who is in law enforcement in dfw last night. I told her that the WHO had upped the level to 5. She said that she knew then said how far does it go up to. I said 6... she said OMG I thought it went up to ten.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

I'd suggest waiting till the weekend for the full effects and possible threat, to be clear. Everything written here and spewed from MSM is just pure guesswork.

I actually did some metacognition and realised how hard it must be for WHO to understand how to tackle this. If it is a triple hybrid mutated pig/bird/human virus, and people are swamping ER's if they so much as sneeze, then collating and analysing data must be a nightmare.

This is why i feel they are pre-empting the virility with level 5, as they can't release figures that are being processed, but they are taking the cautious road, purely because there is no vaccine.

Bank holiday monday should be interesting in the UK !!!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Will there be any live briefings/conferences on TV later today, GMT ?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Nothing to see here people,move along...LALALA...

It's almost getting ridiculous now,they do NOT want it to appear as though anything is "seriously wrong."

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
# Norway, Oslo: Couple Suspected with influenza A (H1N1) Ruled Out; Another 8-10 Cases Also Cleared #swineflu2 minutes ago from web

# Croatia, Osijek: Institute for Public Health Almost Certain Suspected Influenza A (H1N1) Case Is Negative #swineflu3 minutes ago from web

# Bahamas, Bimini Island: Three Cases of Respiratory Disease Reported, Not Considered Suspected Cases of influenza A (H1N1). #swineflu4 minutes ago from web

can you provide a link o f where you get your information from please as i live in norway...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Thought I would share this interesting tidbit:

No studies have ever tested swine flu viruses on ferrets, and little information exists about natural influenza outbreaks in the species. But at the annual conference of the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians last October, researchers from Iowa State University reported (see page 101 of the conference proceedings) that an outbreak of influenza in a ferret colony on an Iowa farm infected 8% of about 1000 of the minklike animals.

The researchers, led by virologist Kyoung-Jin Yoon, discovered that the outbreak was caused by an H1N1 swine influenza virus. The ferrets lived about 0.4 kilometers from a swine farm.

The current human outbreak is also caused by an H1N1 virus of swine origin. Shortly after his team typed the strain causing the human outbreak, Ruben Donis, a virologist who heads the molecular virology and vaccines branch of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (see interview with ScienceInsider), noticed the ferret study. He immediately wondered whether the swine H1N1 spreading through ferrets might be the same as the one causing the human outbreak. “I thought, ah, a smoking gun,” he says.
Ferreting Out the Swine Flu Mystery

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Another piece of the puzzle, although they concluded this was not the origin of the current outbreak, thought it was interesting nontheless.

Edit to add* have ya all noticed the change in media coverage since it was raised to phase 5?

[edit on 30-4-2009 by LDragonFire]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Sure

Veratect

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I watched GMTV this morning (crappy UK morning program) and their doctor said the virus can survive on hard surfaces for ~24hours and soft fabrics for 20mins. Take this advice with trepidation and see every object as your bodies enemy.

I even question the leaflet drops the UK is planning. What if the postman is unwittingly infected and spreading it on leaflets.

Am i too paranoid or too cautious?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

Well, you rarely see a postman in the United Kingdom so we have nothing to fear!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

hmmmmmmmm now thats something to think about spray the beast when it comes in or just burn the bills and junk mail to be safe.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

What a brilliant article. That's one way to get rid of the goons. This article and a previous post in this thread mentioned that some marines were in quarantine.

My question is this: Who will be instigating martial law, if the enforcers themselves are infected?

Edit: p.s. IrishChic, can you please change your avatar, it makes me feel funny inside...and it 'aint no flu

[edit on 30-4-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

When potentially facing a catastrophe the mind likes to cover all angles for survival I think. Yesterday I was imagining an outbreak where I live and thinking about letters coming through the door and decided that I would not touch letters on the floor but spray them lightly with disinfectant and leave to dry before opening with latex gloves. A bloody ridiculous thought one half of the brain says but prudent probably if this thing looks like it will become very lethal. I'd be putting a notice on my front door too saying "no callers please " or similar. So you are not alone and meanwhile my partner has already been running through all the possible scenarios involving burglers, food raiders, people sticking guns in your face and demanding you hand over food etc....and he does not normally think this way !!! I've had some of the strangest thoughts , ideas and conversations in my entire life the past few days

[edit on 30/4/09 by cosmicpixie]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Here's something I picked up in my travels...

Researcher finds 1918 flu resulted in current lineage of H1N1 swine influenza viruses
labspaces.net

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
MX government has yet to confirm a case in Cancun, yet there are a ton of cases in the USA linked to Cancun. You do the math.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This is from whatdoesitmean.com and I don't completely believe it and I know a lot of people think the site is garbage but nonetheless here is this article:

Unprecedented “Tidal Wave Of Death” Set To Overtake World, Warns Russia
www.whatdoesitmean.com...

Just sharing.

new topics

top topics

<< 181  182  183    185  186  187 >>

join