It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 175
<< 172  173  174    176  177  178 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
reply to post by jonny2410

means the virus is simulating the same properties and behaviour as it did in Mexico.

All except for the fatalities, in the host of course.

link   

means the virus is simulating the same properties and behaviour as it did in Mexico.

thats bad i presume?

also heard now 230 people are being tested in total in UK

link   
anybody out there know some thats in the loop, that might be willing to put thierlives on the line.

how about the mods, think they might know some one willing to come out and tell us .

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

WHO Level 6?

#Spain: WHO "troubled" over in-country person-to-person transmission case of swine influenza. #swineflu
21 minutes ago from web

A third country confirming human-to-human.

#Nicaragua: President declares a State of Emergency for the next two months in order to prevent spread of swine influenza. #swineflu

[edit on 30-4-2009 by infinite]
www.who.int...

read between lv 5 and lv 6

pandemic

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Yeah, I've been hearing figures from 200 - 500.

There has been a 22% in calls regarding flu like symptoms to the NHS.

link   
In terms of masks i love how the ones wearing the masks are the ones telling us they are useless. Like on the BBC saying the masks are not that effective, then in the report the reporter is wearing a mask. What???

Besides the fact whether they really are effective or not, does it really matter if people want to wear them? Then again it might give people a false sense of security and they may think themselves immune.

We are being told in the UK to just wash our hands, that would be ok, but sad fact is most people don't even know how to wash their hands properly and that isn't to mention the ones who don't even bother!

On another note....imagine an outbreak in North Korea? Not that it is likely we'd find out, but it would be a disaster over there.

[edit on 30/4/09 by Kram09]

link   

Originally posted by mkross1983

Originally posted by eyeless_al
Omg are you people for real cant wait till this blows away and you guys can look back at this thread and think how foolish you all were for carrying on like this is the end of us all.. 80 K what a load of crap
why ad to the chaos .. if 36k die of flu each year just in the usa why such a fuss now?
cause the tv tells you to ?
enough of the madness ATS you guys need to get half a life .. and maybe enjoy it before you get hit by a truck or something
swine flu is killing no one compared to normal flu
but if its the first story on every news break them wow must be true
cause rupert merdoch wouldnt have tv lie to us now would he????

You haven't looked at the posts about multiple waves and how that happened back in 1918 have you?

well i think times have changed just a little since 1918 dont you?
ie public santation , hygeine ect
yes ive seen post after post on here about all this crap
like i said when it goes away and they are back talking about britney again and fuel goes to an all time high everyone can get back to saying omg it will be 10 dollars a gallon in a years time and 100 dollars a gallon in 3 years at this rate blah blah
dont be fooled by the hype .. im not

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zenagain
I posted earlier in this thread about how my wife works for the Army in a medical capacity and I said I'd update info as I got it, so here you go. 80k (That's 80000) cases in Texas. This is 100% certain info. Otho, the party line is to "not panic" and to "wash your hands". Oddly enough, no word on Louisiana yet despite this being Fort Polk, LA. Wife says that Louisiana info will be later in the day. will keep you guys posted.

Wow, just Wow!

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I started on the serious stocking up mission today and it was ironic how on my first trip out, I arrive at a cashier who was talking to some men in front of me about the flu issue and how it was all an over reaction and the two guys in front were talking about going ahead with their plans to go on holiday to Mexico and agreeing with her ! And there was me , trolley overflowing with 20 bags of flour and 10 boxes of cereal etc, secretly preparing for pandemic lockdown.

Does anyone know when there is another live briefing from the WHO or CDC on TV?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
This is the actions they take in each level.(Note level 6)

CDHS PANDEMIC RESPONSE ACTION STEPS
WHO Phase 1 and Phase 2
Interpandemic Period: No novel influenza subtypes have been detected in
humans, but a novel subtype that has caused human infection may be
present or circulating in animals.
• CDHS Division of Communicable Disease Control (DCDC), in collaboration with the
CDHS Joint Advisory Committee on Public Health Preparedness, will develop, update,and distribute California-specific guidelines for controlling interpandemic influenza in
healthcare and other congregate settings at the start of the influenza season.
• Based on CDC guidance, and in coordination with local health departments, CDHS will
develop and distribute protocols on case management and laboratory diagnostics. CDHS
will work with local health departments to distribute protocols to settings where cases and their contacts might be diagnosed.
• CDHS will work with local health departments to ensure that clinicians and laboratory
scientists know how to access the most current recommendations for novel or pandemic
influenza case identification, reporting, management, and laboratory testing.

WHO Phase 3 and Phase 4
Pandemic Alert Period: Human infection with no or very limited human-tohuman
transmission.
• In coordination with CDC, CDHS will develop case management protocols to ensure that
suspect human cases of novel or pandemic influenza virus infections are promptly
identified, isolated, and source(s) of exposure (animal vs. human) determined. Case
management protocols for clinicians will address:
o screening criteria (clinical and epidemiologic, including travel and occupation);
o notification of local health authorities;
o case management (infection control precautions, laboratory testing, appropriate
evaluation and treatment, nationally recommended management and treatment
protocols); and
o identification of potentially exposed contacts and assistance with management of
contacts.
• CDHS will distribute to local health departments protocols on case management and
laboratory diagnostics for avian and novel viruses as well as seasonal influenza virus.
• CDHS, in coordination with CDC, will develop and distribute guidance on managing
patients who test negative for novel or pandemic influenza virus, addressing the potential
for false negative findings, and clinical and epidemiologic criteria that warrant continued
suspicion.
• CDHS, in coordination with CDC and local health departments, will revise and distribute
virus transmission prevention and control guidelines to reflect the circumstances of Phase 3 and Phase 4.
• CDHS and local health departments will continue to educate clinicians and laboratory
scientists on how to access the most up-to-date recommendations for novel or pandemic
influenza case identification, reporting, management, and laboratory testing.
• CDHS, in coordination with CDC guidelines, will distribute to local health departments
revised guidance on vaccination, prophylaxis, and treatment, based on the most current
national and state recommendations, including a prioritized list of treatment and
prophylaxis recipients and ensure the revised guidance is available to healthcare
institutions and practitioners.
• CDHS, in collaboration with medical and professional societies will develop treatment
protocols, standards and procedures for austere care, altered standards of care, and
alternate care sites to direct patients to the most appropriate level of care in the
community rather than acute care hospitals during an influenza pandemic.
• As isolated cases emerge, CDHS will manage the allocation and distribution of antiviral
drugs in the CDHS stockpile to local health departments.
• CDHS will work with its Medical Care Services program (Medi-Cal); the Departments of
Managed Health Care, Mental Health, Alcohol and Drug Programs, and Social Services;
local health departments; and others to develop recommendations and guidelines for
health plans, provider groups, and private practitioners.

WHO Phase 5
Pandemic Alert Period With Substantial Pandemic Risk: Larger clusters but
still limited human-to-human transmission; sustained community
transmission is possible
• CDHS, in coordination with CDC guidance and local health departments, will revise and
distribute protocols and guidelines to reflect the circumstances of Phase 5.
• CDHS Emergency Pharmaceutical Services Unit will manage, allocate, and distribute
vaccines, antiviral drugs, and other medications in the CDHS stockpile and the California
distribution from the Strategic National Stockpile.

WHO Phase 6
Pandemic Period: Increased and sustained transmission in the general
population
• CDHS will continue actions initiated in previous phases.

So basically phase 3 and 4 are to get ready 5 is to impliment treatment all the way through level 6. Then it is the postpandemic period.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Update: 1 Confirmed case Fort Polk, LA. Patient is in quarantine in base hospital. Masks are apparently going to be standard starting any moment now. Debating on whether or not to tell my wife to get the hell home NOW.

link   

Which means that CDC might be expecting a jump in the number of deaths as well. I hope I am misinterpreting that.

Any word on what went on with the WHO vid conference? BNO Breaking is all over this Queen Beatrix car crash and nothing more.

Obs out

Oh and Irishchic. I bet the hats are fab. I just hope they don't bring H1N1 death with them on the plane.

link   
I'm starting to wonder when FEMA and Northcom will be showing up in the hard hit areas - if they haven't already? or would that be a level 6 thing?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Scientists see this flu strain as relatively mild
www.latimes.com...

As the World Health Organization raised its infectious disease alert level Wednesday and health officials confirmed the first death linked to swine flu inside U.S. borders, scientists studying the virus are coming to the consensus that this hybrid strain of influenza -- at least in its current form -- isn't shaping up to be as fatal as the strains that caused some previous pandemics.

Hummm... Scientists VS WHO? Fight! lol

link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

you could have just opened the link www.who.int...

link   
The one thing that has just occurred to me while reading this was the UK is just (has just) finished its combat role in Iraq.

Now I know that the troops are earmarked to go into Afghanistan, in a few weeks.

But it seems strange and somewhat convenient that during this outbreak that they are coming home.

I remember watching the ‘Threads’ docu-drama years ago (ago that’s a lie I watch it every couple of months :p) and I can’t help but wonder if there is some sort of preparedness exercise going on at the moment, are the local councils in the UK starting to man emergency bunkers? Are hospitals starting to cancel non-emergency surgeries? Will supermarkets be getting slightly smaller deliveries as the government starts to horde food?

Now it could just be nothing and my over active imagination going into overdrive but are hidden wheels starting to turn ?

Edited for spelling

[edit on 30-4-2009 by trinityschild]

link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

I've got most of my food, water and non consumable supplies coming to me in an hour, courtesy of Asda home delivery. So much easier when you don't have any means of transport.

[edit on 30-4-2009 by skitzspiricy]

link   

You think they dress like that for something that only killed 7 people?

[edit on 30-4-2009 by ecoparity]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Yes...that's the same prevailing "attitude" I'm getting here in South Texas the past couple of days.
It's like only a small percentage of people know,care,or will be willing to change their plans but the store-shelves are truly sparse.
I'm thinking that "few" are stocking up and getting ready for that inevitable "Black Market" of toilet paper,LOL!
Not funny I know but honestly,when I was in a Walmart yesterday, three rather surly but sweet well-known through the media motorcycle "gang" menbers had carts FULL to the brim with the things that have been chatted about to stockpile.
Some are listening "in case..."
BTW: Your smile is fabulous and a comfort this am...sending one back to you!

Whoops: meant for "cosmicpixie"...didn't hit "reply to."

[edit on 30-4-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

My Grandma has gone away to the United States today on a cruise (bad time to be going away me thinks) and for various reasons i am house sitting while she is away. But i looked in her kitchen and it is just jammed full of food, especially in the freezer.

There was also a drawers full of every kind of first aid paraphenilia you could ever need as well as toothpaste and soap and all that jazz.

So if in the next month or so we all have to stay in our homes, then i am set hahah.

I think maybe its an old people thing though, stocking up on stuff like that.......unless my Grandma knows something i don't

new topics

top topics

<< 172  173  174    176  177  178 >>

join