It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Erm, how about because they were the first to develop symptoms and were treated ineffectively?

I understand that health care workers were given a vaccine and 2 residents died anyway even though they hadn't had symptoms yet. The treatment was certainly ineffective for those 2, eh?

How about because the health standards in Mexico city are lower?

Is that why thousands of Americans go to Mexico every year for treatments that are unavailable in the U.S.? The hygiene standards are certainly lower in most areas but that is a socioeconomic factor. Hospitals, on the other hand, know about hygiene and practice it. Even in Mexico.

How about because there are more infected in that region than anywhere else?

And why is that do you suppose? Is the blood or physical constitution of Mexicans so different from any other ethnic group?

Common sense again.

Got plenty, thanks. I'm not recommending hunkering down in your bunker wearing a bio hazard suit. Just asking pointed questions.

There is no evidence that this is man made, you just have to think for an extra two minutes and not immediately assume that everything is due to some evil person trying to kill you.

There IS evidence that this is man-made. Or at least a strong possibility. Even the WHO and CDC are suggesting that it's "highly unusual" that these different strains could combine naturally. Whether it's man-made or not is hardly the point. If it's deadly, I don't much care where it came from.

Seriously, are all Americans so convinced that everything is a terrorist attack?

Hardly, my friend. Not all Americans are even interested in conspiracies. And there may, in fact, not BE a terrorist attack...just the fear of one is enough to allow TPTB to declare an emergency situation and enact emergency measures. Suspension of constitution, martial law, quarantines, forced vaccinations, etc. That's why I asked the question. I'd like to know what the plan is.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Children in New York test positive for Swine Flu, family members have become infected too - spreading person to person.

Hospitals in New York, at the moment, are not reporting an increase in flu patients.

Citizens with flu like symptoms are being told to say indoors.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretGoldfish
and just remember . . . regular old influenza kills millions of people each year. millions.

this virus has a loooooong way to go if it even wants to be in the same league as good 'ol flu

Not really. About 30k to 40k die each year to the flu each year in the U.S., and probably about 300,000 to 500,000 deaths around the world. Also, the majority of those that do die are over 65. That's why this one is alarming, the fact it is killing people whose age range is at the top of their immunity system game.

I think it's too early to panic and once again sing gloom and doom, but I also think the government needs to be up on this a lot more than they are now.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Interesting that it targets the greatest age range:

Most of Mexico’s dead were young, healthy adults, and none were over 60 or under 3 years old, the World Health Organization said. That alarms health officials because seasonal flus cause most of their deaths among infants and bedridden elderly people, but pandemic flus — like the 1918 Spanish flu, and the 1957 and 1968 pandemics — often strike young, healthy people the hardest.

Source

And this:

Tamiflu is Swiss-based Hoffman-La Roche’s antiviral for general influenza A and B but is also used to combat bird flu. However, worries have surfaced about the possibility of the medicine causing mental disorders among teenagers.

Source
Needs some more sources I know.

If teenagers arn't f*** up already they now have to contend with this

Also, anyone know if the following website is anyway reliable / verifiable?

www.legitgov.org...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I think we need to find out where these people were that were visiting? What parts of Mexico were they at and how far apart were they from one another? That will give us a good idea on really how big this thing is down there.

I am unsure why TPTB would not have that information already? If the people from NY were in one part of Mexico but the people from Kansas were clear across the other side of the country then this problem is pretty big down there no?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

A deadly new strain of flu that has killed more than 80 people in Mexico is spreading across the globe.

the disease killed up to 81 people in Mexico and infected dozens in the US.

Eleven cases were confirmed in California, Kansas and Texas, and eight schoolchildren in New York City caught a type A influenza virus that health officials say is likely to be the swine flu.

In New Zealand, ten pupils from an Auckland school party that had returned from Mexico were being treated for influenza symptoms in what health authorities said was probably another outbreak of the virus.

Three people in Spain and two in France are being tested for the disease after they arrived from Mexico with flu symptoms. Tests on a BA cabin crew member taken to a London hospital with flu-like symptoms showed he does not have swine flu.

Countries across Asia, which have grappled with H5N1 bird flu and Sars in recent years, snapped into action. At airports and other border checkpoints in Hong Kong, Malaysia, South Korea and Japan, officials screened travellers for symptoms.

Russia imposed curbs on meat imports from Mexico, some US states and the Caribbean, and the United Arab Emirates said it was considering similar action.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
YouTube Vidoe
I posted a thread about this video not too long ago, and I realize it is about anthrax, but he mentions bringing the substance through Mexico.
Could the flu fall under such a category or is my imagination getting the best of me?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
UK airline cabin crew member does not have swine flu

repeat

UK airline cabin crew member does not have swine flu In London, tests showed that a member of cabin crew on a British Airways flight from Mexico City did not have swine flu.

Plus the flu from NY was mild cases,

“All the cases were mild, no child was hospitalized, no child was seriously ill,” Dr. Frieden said.

Do not feed the beast.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
bloomberg says he isnt closing schools because if schools were closed the kids would all be getting together anyway (??) so they may as well be in school so they can be monitored. that sounds bizarre to me-- if schools in ny were closed due to this virus i would be keeping my kids and myself locked in my house!!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
How old were these kids?

New York health officials said they don’t know how the students were exposed to the virus, though some students at the school traveled outside the U.S. during a recent spring break. They aren’t receiving special treatment, Frieden said.

Yea, they went to Mexico.

What are they doing vacationing in Mexico?

Weren't we warned?

I am always surprised buy the lack of judgment parents show now days.

[edit on 113030p://bSunday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
I understand that health care workers were given a vaccine and 2 residents died anyway even though they hadn't had symptoms yet. The treatment was certainly ineffective for those 2, eh?

Incubation period.
If the virus broke out in Mexico, it would have taken days to figure out what it was, how to fight it, and even to gather all those infected into quarantine once it was discovered. The simple mathematics dictate that more would have died in the epicenter of this outbreak. And some might not take to the vaccine anyway.
The fact that more have died there is simply down to mathematics and probability, the more people exposed the higher number of casualties.

Is that why thousands of Americans go to Mexico every year for treatments that are unavailable in the U.S.? The hygiene standards are certainly lower in most areas but that is a socioeconomic factor. Hospitals, on the other hand, know about hygiene and practice it. Even in Mexico.

Just because people go there doesn't mean the standards are any better. It's money, economic pressure demands that one would go to Mexico for cheaper treatment. You also admit that standards are not better in Mexico, so why argue the point? It's goes without saying that lower standards of health care result in higher infection rates.

And why is that do you suppose? Is the blood or physical constitution of Mexicans so different from any other ethnic group?

I don't get why you're fixating on it affecting Mexicans, this is simply because it was the epicenter of the outbreak. If it had started in Ireland would you automatically assume that it was because they're Irish and somehow "different" to others?

It's affecting more Mexicans because it started in Mexico, that's the only reason.

There IS evidence that this is man-made. Or at least a strong possibility. Even the WHO and CDC are suggesting that it's "highly unusual" that these different strains could combine naturally. Whether it's man-made or not is hardly the point. If it's deadly, I don't much care where it came from.

I've not seen any suggestion by the WHO that this is anything other than an extremely dangerous strain of an existing virus. It is unusual, yes, but that doesn't mean that it is man-made. We find hundreds of insects and plants around the world every year that are "unusual", that doesn't mean that they are man-made.

People are reading too much into this, and twisting it into something more bizarre and dramatic to feed their own paranoia. Is it not bad enough or exciting enough for you all that you have to throw all these bizarre and completely unfounded suggestions into it too?

It's a virus, nothing more and nothing less. It's dangerous as it is. It's interesting enough as it is. We don't need to wrap it up in NWO conspiracy and terrorism plots. It's embarrassing to read and, quite frankly, tarnishes everything of real importance.
No wonder people criticize conspiracy theorists, it seems most here link everything to an existing conspiracy without ANY evidence or reasonable suspicion.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Just in on BBC + sky news, 2 people have been admitted to a Scottish hospital with mild flu-like symptoms after returning from Mexico in the last few days. They are currently in quarantine. Just adding to the number of suspected cases....

[edit on 26/4/09 by Grego]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grego
Just in on BBC + sky news, 2 people have been admitted to a Scottish hospital with mild flu-like symptoms after returning from Mexico in the last few days. They are currently in quarantine. Just adding to the number of suspected cases....

The key word here being mild.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I am all about defense, so I'd say don't let your guards down. just because the "officials" are saying this is mild, does not mean it isn't in it's incubation stages. I don't believe anyone has a clue how long this has been brewing in Mexico. let's say for the possibility sake, that this is an engineered product, maybe the real punch is delayed. Sort of like a time released vitamin.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Also how perfect to plan it for spring break.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Absolutely no disrespect intended to you whitewave but how many hospitals have you visited in Mexico?

I have visited many in my missions. They do the best they can but most are far from hygienic.

It is rare to see a medical facility with air conditioning and screens on the windows.

I worked where seeing an American was a rare sight. The residents had dirt floors and twig houses. So my opinion is prejudiced.

Wait, I'm wrong. I did experience a two day lay over in Mexico City on my way to southern Mexico. There are families that have made the garbage dump their home for more than one generation on the outside of Mexico City.

There are paper shacks on the mountain sides that are not even fit for a pig to live in.

The Mexicans do no drink their own water. We treated many people that could not afford clean water for stomach worms as long as my arm.

I met many people that I knew were the walking dead because of poor or non existent heath care.

When you get past the fluff all you see is horrifying conditions.

I've been to villages where they just bury their dead in a blanket outside their stick huts.

Decent health care is only for the wealthy in Mexico. All others die.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by dizziedame]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by Grego

The key word here being mild.

thankfully all the cases outside of mexico have been mild. im just curious if this thing has the potential to mutate into something more dangerous. maybe mexico had numerous mild cases at first and the people who died from the virus where hit with a somewhat evolved form of the virus.

what are the chances that it can go from being mild outside of mexico to being something worse and how long would such a mutation take?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I agree, I believe viruses are merely a tool meant to "thin the herd"and yes there should definitely be travel restrictions. International travel can only help spread the disease.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I talked to my friend who is a chemist, she highly doubts it was manufactured, and says the combination is not surprising at all, and easily could have occurred naturally considering their environment.

A while back everyone was anticipating the eruption of Yellowstone, why do you guys feed off this stuff,

Stop feeding into the drama, do you want it to happen?

Don't supply it with energy.

Remember that old saying?

" don't go borrowing trouble."

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
We are seeing two versions of the virus.

The pathogen in Mexico has overpopulated and poorer communities, thus creating the environment for it to kill quickly and spread. However, the developed nations are less crowded and therefore the pathogen cannot eliminate the host too quickly - it would not survive long enough.

Poor nations seem to be attributed to a vicious and deadly Swine Flu but the developed world is facing a virus that hast to evolve in order to survive.

Well, that's the current theory.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join