It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 168
<< 165  166  167    169  170  171 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I guess we will see the workforce drop to around 60% just with people being scared about even the smallest symptom. This i can understand.

Its difficult to tell people to calm down and attend work, when at the same time the media are presenting everything with so much hype. Im glad Im freelance regarding my contractual responsibilities and that being self employed i have no staff.

respects

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by binkatonka

Originally posted by captiva
reply to post by binkatonka

this is the company i mentioned a couple of pages back, when i asked my Heath and Safety rep about foreign nationals visiting the site not being allowed on site because of infection, he laughed in my face and said " because of this chicken flu " all my company are interested in H & S wise is are you wearing your safety goggles and put barriers up around you if the floors are open, they will not have a plan in place !

Well if this is the case the government guidelines, when broadcast, will be their pandemic, crisis plan.

edit to add...I have no doubts that the government health agencies will do the right thing if the need to call a lockdown happens.

I wrote up a contingency plan in 2006 for the company I worked for that covered staff, and the people( dissabled) that they supported. That was initiated when the WHO raised the level to 4 as per social work/heaklth board guidelines.

respects

[edit on 30-4-2009 by captiva]

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
couple of things..

regarding the distance you have to be away from someone so as not to catch an airborne virus...

You must take into account any breeze/wind and how long a virus can stay alive out of its host body. You could be a mile away, but in a strong wind...

This is partly why chemical and biological weapons are more feared than nuclear. nuke goes bang, lots dead, radiation either comes straight back down or gets blown in the direction of any wind.. therefore a lot can survive a nuke.

But chemical and biolgical (bio in particular) can be carried by the host from person to person and will just spread and spread.. many more die, without the need for a bang...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
176 suspected deaths in Mexico, over 600 suspected cases in the United States.

India is reporting a case, patient has recently returned from Texas

Times of India

Guatemala has a suspected death.

Prensa Libre (Spanish)

translated via google (it isn't perfect):

A woman of 75 years who was admitted today to the National Hospital
Retalhuleu with symptoms of flu and high fever,
died hours later, so that their families believe that
the woman has died of swine flu, however,
authorities have not confirmed that the woman has suffered
this disease.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
report late yesterday from WHO, link provided. This is the most up to date I can find regarding numbers confirmed and dead.

A member of the World Health Organisation (WHO) has dismissed claims that more than 150 people have died from swine flu, saying it has officially recorded only seven deaths around the world.

Vivienne Allan, from WHO's patient safety program, said the body had confirmed that worldwide there had been just seven deaths - all in Mexico - and 79 confirmed cases of the disease.

"Unfortunately that [150-plus deaths] is incorrect information and it does happen, but that's not information that's come from the World Health Organisation," Ms Allan told ABC Radio today.

"That figure is not a figure that's come from the World Health Organisation and, I repeat, the death toll is seven and they are all from Mexico."

link...www.smh.com.au...

edit to remove photograph HTML

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
#CHICAGO (AP) - The University of Chicago Medical Center says two of its employees have probable cases of swine flu.
24 minutes ago from TweetDeck

#Houston ISD is closing Harvard Elementary School and Hamilton Middle School indefinitely after two suspected cases of swine flu
about 2 hours ago from TweetDeck

A picture taken inside a Mexican hospital

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
UK TV advert giving out a phone number for the 'latest info' on swine flu

0800 1 513 513

Real shame they didn't mention this thread.. I think we are much more on the ball here...

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

That number takes you to a recorded voice message offering options of choosing 1 to 4, then offering more recorded messages. I used it earlier this morning, waste of time, and costs you £1.80 p if using a mobile, says a lot eh?

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
reply to post by blupblup

Hey bud, I think in some of our case, ie those who frequent these sites and are using them for updated info, yea...we might be feeling symptomatic illness due to the stress of the reading.
Keep calm, monitor closely and take advice at a time before you would normally ask for it.
I feel ok today, probably due to my worry about my wife being all Im concentrating on. Lets all be there for each other just now. have a moan and gripe if needed and remember the rooster.
respects

Oh yeah, i know.....as i said... I'm not too worried.
Just feel like crap

Throat and ear mainly.

And yeah.... it probably is sympathy flu... getting too worried about people round the world and stuff.
I'll let you know if anything changes or whatever.

Cheers mate

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
#World Health Organization will hold a press videoconference regarding swine influenza A/H1N1 infection at 13H00 GMT
half a minute ago from TweetDeck

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
It was made mention on SBS news in Australia of a 7-10 day incubation period.

Given that it's barely 7 days just now since the story of infection broke, I'm wondering what number of people it'll reach before it's declared "critical mass".

Reading just above, 600 suspected in the US, for example. If that turns into 1,000, 5,000, etc, what point do they stop counting cases and just raise it to level 6?

I'm suspecting this is more than a media beat up. It feels like the bird flu beat up, but bird flu didn't infect human to human.

And can someone tell me how a virus with parts of Eurasian swine flu mix with Mexican/North American swine flu? I guess it's plausible a human carrying one variant could introduce it into another animal, but wow, what a lucky virus.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

Mexico has already closed non-essential sectors of the economy and literally told the population to stay at home. One has to try and evaluate the genuine seriousness if a President orders the shut down of a nation.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by captiva

That's just typical.. typical of some government body/ sponsored group to do that sort of thing..

Far easier to set up a recording than employ people..

This whole, entire situation reminds me of a film called 'when the eind blows'.
If you've not seen it, I highly suggest a look at it.

When the Wind Blows depicts a nuclear attack on the UK by the Soviet Union from the viewpoint of a retired couple, Jim and Hilda Bloggs. The Bloggs live in rural Sussex and exhibit considerable confusion regarding the nature and seriousness of their situation, which is sometimes used to generate gentle comedy as well as darker elements. As the novel progresses their situation becomes steadily more hopeless as they suffer from the effects of radiation sickness. The film ends on an extremely bleak note, with them both dying as they pray.
en.wikipedia.org...(film)

Their situation makes me look at these phone lines and government issued information booklets and I pray for all those who follow it blindly, or just don't understand what's really going on. This film is deeply touching and is quite a 'reminder'. It almost mirrors many of the tyes of things that we are talking about here. Look at this thread, what the MSM and TPTB give to us and compare it to this film.. It's astonishing how nothing seems to have changed.. so many uneducated about anything..

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   

I've watched that! Its great, but very sad

My panic meter is at 3 today....until i read these posts again and make myself paranoid.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   

'When The Wind Blows' I remember that! So sweet and sad.

On Topic:

Who are COBRA? the ticker on Sky News this morn said something along the lines of....'COBRA are meeting today to discuss Swine Flu'

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Just as a means of reducing panic levels...I havnt noted anymore confirmed than there was yesterday. Actually the WHO release stating that they only have 7 confirmed deaths in mexico is uplifting. Then again if their information is less seriouse than we were originally told, why have the levels gone to 5...still something missing in this equation and only guess work as yet as to what it might be.

Smile though, we are but a figment of our own imagination, keep positive and lets see.

respects

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Cobra is the uk group set up by tony blair to deal with emergency contingency plans. Consists of senior politicians, health board, police, military etc etc

www.guardian.co.uk...

respects

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy

'When The Wind Blows' I remember that! So sweet and sad.

On Topic:

Who are COBRA? the ticker on Sky News this morn said something along the lines of....'COBRA are meeting today to discuss Swine Flu'

COBRA is just basically the UK's emergency team that meet during some sort of crisis. Members of cabinet and i assume the military/emergency services. I think anyway....

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Cobra stands for Cabinet Office briefing room A. Cobra meetings are held in Downing Street, within Cabinet Office buildings. In most cases Cobra is convened as part of the civil contingencies committee, which plans government responses in times of emergency.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy

Cabinet Office Briefing Room
COBR

new topics

top topics

<< 165  166  167    169  170  171 >>

join