It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 158
<< 155  156  157    159  160  161 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sitara

I have followed these two Swine Flu maps:

www.idemc.org...

and

maps.google.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
So now its in my home town in worcestershire uk.
Interesting to see how this will pan out.
Im still only a 2 on a 1-10 panic rating.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The thing that I find beyond belief is how fast it is spreading to all of these other states/countries. What are the chances of that? Seriously, there are only 1600 cases of the flu confirmed in Mexico City. Mexico City has a population of 18 million! What are the odds that visitors from New Zealand, New York, Iowa, Tampa, etc etc would all come into contact with an infected person if the infected people are such a tiny percentage of the overall population? (and probably home sick anyway)

Supposedly a lot of these infected travellers as stated as 'returned from Cancun', yet we haven't heard much of anything about the number of infected in Cancun.
And google maps' Swine Flu maps show NO cases in Cancun. ???

So again I ask -- how is it that SO MANY people in SO MANY different parts of the world all travelled recently to Mexico and all brought home this flu so that we suddenly have it popping up all over the place?

Maybe I'm missing something but to me the options are:
1. there are many, many more cases in Mexico, including Cancun, than are being reported so odds of visitors coming into contact with it are high OR
2. 'they caught it in mexico' is an excuse and isn't the case at all. In which case, how did these people get it?
3. there is some x factor we are missing, such as an infected stewardess or airlines food worker or something who is acting as a typhoid Mary.
4. Or...?

Is anyone else baffled by this?

[edit on 29-4-2009 by jane_of_CA]

SMR

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

# US, New York:
Health Officials Confirm Case of Swine Influenza in Toddler in the Bronx.
#swineflu2 minutes ago from web

# Mexico:
12 Additional Suspected Fatal Cases and 100 Suspected Swine Influenza Cases Reported in San Luis Potosi.
#swineflu4 minutes ago from web

Edited to add second headline

[edit on 29-4-2009 by SMR]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
When do Obama declares martial law? Saturday? Sunday?

Seriously, we're on the edge of some serious business.

I know a lot of people who will NOT receive any vaccines and will respond by force if necessary.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The "fun" just isn't ending is it?Damn...I was SO hoping it would simmer down.

Wanted to pass this on:

I was thinking of "stocking up" yesterday with some non-perishables and fresh foods as well as sanitizing supplies...I am rural @ 60 miles west of San Antonio,Texas.

Spent the day basically sauntering around like I had my wits about me into 3 Walmarts....people,get OUT THERE NOW if you need things!!!

No one I have spoken with "out here" in the past three days is remotely concerned so they say but this is what I found,these stores are all within a 30 miles radius from my home in different directions.

NO hand sanitizers at all in any form in 2 stores,I got three in the last store and one was about 1/2 full.
NO bleach at all,none. I got one highly-scented can of Lysol that had been mis-shelved,nothing else anywhere.
NO masks or gloves in any of them.
NO toilet paper or paper towels except in one.
Alcohol,peroxide,vitamin C in very short supply in all 3.
Stores looked like bombs had gone off in them,stuff everywhere and very little on the shelves...canned goods were minimal in all three,staples such as flour,sugar,beans,etc very minimal.
Batteries and personal care products were GREATLY reduced on shelves,very little selection.
A few cases left of bottled water in one store.

My point is here that even in the boonies,apparently people are getting the message and getting ready to hunker down if need be.

I was amazed and felt lucky I got anything,angry at myself for not going yesterday...I was told the stores had been PACKED since early am and the parking lots were all still full.

Please try and get yourself comfortable and have what you need,I'm guessing it will be MUCH harder in urban areas to stock up by the weekend.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Man this stinks,

So this is what I've gleened from different threads:

Originally stated as mix of Swine, Bird and Human flu
DHS says it's serious but won't ban travel or close border
DHS says American deaths inevitable
Border/travel open
Mexican child death in Houston originally portrayed as an American death

Scientists backing off saying it's not a mix of different flu viruses
Still no confirmed cases of Pigs in Mexico (Country of outbreak) with swine flu.

Massachusetts Senate approve Martial Law for Swine Flu

DHS still leaves border open.

To me, bad things are coming down the pike for us.

Heard on the radio here in Texas, local Mexicans are buying up all the masks and shipping them back to Mexico. This was stated by an employee at a local Pharmacy. Also posted on a forum somewhere around here.

Man that makes me mad,
Sick Mexicans (like the family of the poor kid that died) are going to flock to the U.S. for better treatment and infect us.

What's coming is very bad.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
the Albuquerque TV station (KOB) just reported that our state has tested 28 samples but we have only Two suspected cases... our little backwater state cannot do our own testing for H1N1 so all those samples had to be sent to CDC results expected in a few days (Probably Friday said our Governor in his emergency news conference)

SMR

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Don't get worked up too quickly now.It's not good for you.
Just be aware of things and pay close attention.We aren't as close to that as many are thinking.At least thats my opinion.I am aware of things going on but not worried about Martial Law just yet.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jane_of_CA

The bbc emails that came in from doctors in Mexico solidified my view that #1 is going on.

As early as last Wednesday, doctors were reporting the deaths totaling about 10 times what was being reported. I think similar numbers hold true for the suspected cases as well.

The mexican government isn't telling us how many people it truly suspects as having the swine flu. I think the same should be assumed of the US, but this is just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

go to your local supermarket in a peaceful, orderly fashion within the next 48 hours and get what you need.

I'm buying a trunk load of food on Friday/Payday and suggest we all buy as much as we can of stuff that is shelf stable.

Seriously guys, if you haven't gone to the store yet you should go now.. I'm not trying to scare anyone, but I think it should be at least considered... This is getting wild very fast and there is no telling what will be going on by tomorrow..

Just got back from a major food run 2 hrs ago. I figure mom & I could live a month without going out - should the need arise.

It's funny but people around here do not seem to have a clue about what is happening!! I am sooooooooo tired of STUPID PEOPLE!!! Unfortunately, there are many outside....

SMR

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

# Mexico State:
Four Confirmed and Six Suspected Fatal Cases of Swine Influenza Reported.
#swineflu2 minutes ago from web

I suspect we are going to see more 'confirmed' cases of death now.
Once they start reporting more frequently, I will raise my fear meter to a respectable level.

link   
reply to post by ActivePatriot

I will expand on something you said: I was in a Walmart @ 50 miles west of San Antonio 2 hours ago...rural community.
Three Mexican women were checking out with several baskets of goods,mostly canned and non-perishables ahead of me...@ $600.00 dollars worth.

What "concerned me" is this: I am not fluent in Spanish but I do have a pretty good comprehensive level and they were chatting about the 15 or so family members who were planning to "come and stay" with them this weekend...they were going to make a party of it all and were stocking up.

Nothing "illegal" about that but what the heck: if we're trying to manage the outbreak is this the best way to do it? Once people are "over here" that's that basically...I know the borders can't be closed but they COULD and SHOULD start restricting passage for reasons other than work or necessity IMO.

link   

Just be aware of things and pay close attention.We aren't as close to that as many are thinking.

Well they just passed a martial law plan in Massachussets. If the pandemic level raise to 6, it's gonna go in effect. And many other states will pass similar legislation and Obama with all the Bush powers, can be dictator if he wants without any congress vote.

You can be ASSURED that they will abuse their powers. Some people will disapear.

It's about to hit the fan, SERIOUSLY.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Man seriously looks like the big one. Going to stock up on Vitamin C. If anyone gets infected by any virus. Take 2gms of Vit C every 30 mins. Don't worry Vitamin C toxicity dose is incredibly high. Its fully safe to take as much as 40gms/day. Only side effect is its laxative property. Defecation maybe easy next day. I am a medical student. Trust me Vit C is one of the best naturally occurring anti viral drug.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jane_of_CA

Veratect Mexico State: Four Confirmed and Six Suspected Fatal Cases of Swine Influenza Reported.

Maybe there was a great Guiness World Record party in Mexico City, but why we were not invited? ...

Mexico Numbers has sucked after Sunday... i dont believe to that state of Chaos a bit - they are trying to wipe truth behind their economical needs.

edit:
EVEN COLUMBIA IS GIVING MUCH HIGHER NUMBERS...

Veratect Colombia: 17 New Possible Swine Influenza Cases Reported; Cumulative Total Reaches 59 Cases Nationwide.

edit 2:
Mexico Officials are waking up... Maybe they are reading ATS?

Veratect Mexico: 34 Suspected Cases of Swine Influenza Under Investigation in Durango.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by JanusFIN]

[edit on 29-4-2009 by JanusFIN]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by quixotical
There is a RUMOR circulating that there are 65 cases of swine flu in new orleans, but it is being kept under wraps because of the present Jazz Fest.

Mikeboy has been talking about a lot of quite testing going on in LA (louisiana) since last night. Now we have two sources on this. Makes me think it is going on.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I don't know if I'm dillusional or if my swine flu interest peaked early, but I'm not getting what all the panic is about. There is a person at Notre Dame that has it (I reference this school bc it's close to my home) and he is sleeping it off in his room and eating soup. He's not dead, not dying, just eating Campbell's and hanging out. The other cases, from what I have heard, are also mainly recovering at home, not in super quarinitne at the hospital or a secret location, but laying on the sofa as with every other flu we seem to get. So what is with all the panic?

PS I do not believe it was piggy flu but I had a flu over the weekend, fever (of course with chills), cough, sneeze, body ache. Haven't had a fever in 4 days now just sneezing and coughing and very sleepy.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Maryland

wbal.com

Governor O'Malley says there are 6 probable cases of Swine Flu that have been identified in Maryland.

He says those samples are at the CDC and are being tested.

The Governor made the announcement from the Maryland Swine Flu Command Center in Baltimore.

Video clips of the announcement at the link.

[edit on 4/29/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Even if the number of infected in Mexico were 10, 20, 100 times higher than they are saying, it would still be a trivial percentage of the Mexican population and it still seems unlikely to me that so many travelers to Mexico visiting different areas would come into contact with the infected during a brief stay. I mean, look at all the people living in Mexico City right now who have not caught it and they have been, and still are, in the hot zone.

It would be one thing if that NY cluster of spring breakers were all, or even 2 or 3 such clusters. Or if those clusters had come first and then it spread out from there. But it appears to be popping up all over the place simultaneously all from people who had separately 'travelled to Mexico'.

Still find this really, really unlikely and odd.

new topics

top topics

<< 155  156  157    159  160  161 >>

join