It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 128
<< 125  126  127    129  130  131 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
this will blow over in a few weeks, media will get bored because no one is dying (yes harsh).

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by captivaThis is the real picture, there are not 100s dead in mexico from flu. people need to ask why the media and governments are doing this...what have you learned since freedoms were put under attack after 9.11 ?

[edit on 29-4-2009 by captiva]

So let me get this straight.

You are telling us not to believe the media and the goverment and fall for this hyped charade, yet you are using the media and goverments figures to back up your assertion.

How do you know hundreds have not died in Mexico since February? How do you know that many people right now are not infected because the dormancy of this virus can be up to 10 days?

You don't. So stop making really asinine assumptions that this is some hyped event.

The reason for that being is this. We know that there is a virus that is communicable from human to human and it has killed people so far. That is the only real information we have.

That alone is enough for people to be concerned and warrants the 24/7 coverage.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
USA

AP: Source say 2 siblings in Lowell, Mass., positive for swine flu after Mexico trip.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It's childishly naive to believe in these mexican government numbers. It would be statiscally impossible for a virus that infects only 1 in every 40.000 people to spread around the world like this.
Mexican Health authorities are not reliable. Even if they aren't lying purposedly, they would never have the resources to check all death and infected people around the country to confirm the infection.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Swine flu rages in New York

In New York the number of suspected cases of swine flu is on the rise. At least three schools are feared to have been exposed to the virus. City officials say the average age of those infected is 16.

PS 177, a special needs school in New York City, has closed its doors after 82 students called in sick. What exacerbates this situation is that many of its students were not able to tell their teacher that they were suffering from flu symptoms.

Health officials say many of the PS 177 students are autistic and therefore they are not able to speak

www.russiatoday.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I am sceptical of the Mexican claims, after all, eyewitnesses on the ground are painting a much gloomier picture. We are supposed to believe their cases are decreasing when other nations are seeing a doubling?

BBC reporter

I tried at the local hospital to get more information but the ministry of health has ordered its staff across the country to remain silent.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

BBC

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
#A Marine at a San Bernardino County base in California may have the swine flu, according to the commandant of the Marine Corps.
1 minute ago from BNO Headquarters

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Remember that they can't make an illness or death 'official' until samples are sent to CDC tested and confirmed to be this strain of flu..

And per the CDC webcast yesterday it takes about 3 days to do that...yes they can do a simple test at a Drs office or Hospital that tells them it may be swine...but that does not mean it is the same strain (although it probably is).

They seem to be being very careful about not reporting how many people are sick versus how many are 'officially' sick.

From what I have heard in my community of fellow EMS'ers and people that work in ER's and Hospitals..it is busier and there are sick people, but it is not 'panic' mode yet.

[edit on 4/29/2009 by toepick]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I am sceptical of the Mexican claims, after all, eyewitnesses on the ground are painting a much gloomier picture. We are supposed to believe their cases are decreasing when other nations are seeing a doubling?

BBC reporter

I tried at the local hospital to get more information but the ministry of health has ordered its staff across the country to remain silent.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

BBC

On top of that, a mexican friend of mine, who's family live in San Luis Potosi told me that her father said it's quite serious over there.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by airteck
You people have to remember. Just because it's not deadly now doesn't make it less of a threat. From the looks of things so far is the fact that it has the potential to infect higher than normal Flu infections. The bug will do the rest by mutating to become more deadly. Viruses evolve at an alarming rate and can overnight mutate into a nightmare. Especially when it's a strain that has never been seen.

The worry is about the potential of this virus, not its current state.

Good post

Yes, all true... I think this virus has some serious potential for death and destruction. Not only through mutations in the virus itself... But through vaccines, and antiviral drugs like Tamiflu as well.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Even the WHO acknowledge, the other day, the reports which suggested 50 people were dying a day in Mexico. Officials outside of Mexico, CDC and its European counter parts, have questioned the figures.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Homeland Security preps flu quarantine guidelines

People the slide of hand, we need to look at the other hand.......

Here is the thread started on this subject......

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Doctor saying Monday 27.4. ---

The number of cases increases significantly every day. The number of fatalities is also increasing. I know of at least three doctors who are said to have died from swine flu. There is great fear among the medical community. We know that the situation is very serious and that we are at high risk of infection.

Doctor saying tuesday 28.4 ---

Patients continue to pour in with flu symptoms. Some have very serious pneumonia and need to be put on ventilators. I think the total number of deaths is far beyond the seven who have tested positive for the infection.

news.bbc.co.uk...

- I believe this doctor much more than "Health Minister" in State of chaos.

- I understand that Mexican government is trying to control panic, but giving totally false info they just loose their last chance to control anything with their falling authority... Mexico is making great damage to their self by offering totally naive and faulse info about the truth.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Swine Flu Kill Ratio - as high as 12%?
Posted on April 29, 2009 by davidbnava

The Mexican Health Ministry says there are 1,311 people hospitalized in Mexico with Swine Flu symptoms. They report 159 deaths so far. That’s a mortality rate of 12%. And that just from the hospitalized cases.

Meanwhile, a Mexican child being treated in Texas has become the first fatality from swine flu in the United States, officials said Wednesday.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The New York Times ran an OP-ED piece by historian John Barry that is a very interesting read and I recommend all of you check it out.

www.nytimes.com...

This was among the most interesting passages of the piece:

What’s important to keep in mind in assessing the threat of the current outbreak is that all four of the well-known pandemics seem to have come in waves. The 1918 virus surfaced by March and set in motion a spring and summer wave that hit some communities and skipped others. This first wave was extremely mild, more so even than ordinary influenza: of the 10,313 sailors in the British Grand Fleet who became ill, for example, only four died. But autumn brought a second, more lethal wave, which was followed by a less severe third wave in early 1919.

Barry, who wrote "The Great Influenza," cautions that while this first wave of cases could be somewhat mild, we should brace for a second wave in the months ahead.

According to Barry, the relatively slow spread (by influenza standards) of the virus thus far suggests that the virus is still attempting to adapt to humans. His research shows that even when the first wave of cases fade, the virus remains, underground, continuing to adapt and will eventually re-emerge in a much more virulent form.

At least that gives us time to develop an effective vaccine.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

Here is another map for everyone, I know this is buried deep in this thread somewhere But I figure I will keep posting it every 10 pages or so.

www.idemc.org...

-Kdial1

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Also:

Since April 21, 2009, CDC has reported cases of respiratory infection with a swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus (S-OIV) that is being spread via human-to-human transmission (1). As of April 28, the total number of confirmed S-OIV cases in the United States was 64; these cases occurred in California (10 cases), Kansas (two), New York (45), Ohio (one), and Texas (six). The viruses contain a unique combination of gene segments that had not been reported previously among swine or human influenza viruses in the United States or elsewhere (1). Viruses from 13 (20%) of 64 patients have been tested for resistance to antiviral medications. To date, all tested viruses are resistant to amantadine and rimantadine but are susceptible to oseltamivir and zanamivir. (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report Dispatch, Update: Drug Susceptibility of Swine-Origin Influenza A (H1N1) Viruses, April 2009)

Long article here about the scientific aspects of the virus.

EDIT: Oseltamivir IS Tamiflu. It's the trade name.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by mkross1983]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

The child, who died in Mexico, had serious pneumonia and Swine Flu was reported to have caused it. We are not certain if Mexico are going along the same methodology.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
#The World Health Organization is scheduled to hold a telephone news conference within the next few minutes. @mpoppel is covering it live.
half a minute ago from BNO Headquarters

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Also just found this:

CDC Afternoon Briefing (2:30 p.m. ET) Listen live

From www.pandemicflu.gov...

top topics

<< 125  126  127    129  130  131 >>

join