It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 116
<< 113  114  115    117  118  119 >>

join
share:
SMR

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Makes you think.In situations like this, how do they 'rush' them back? I would hope on a plane with JUST the 200 people just in case.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

Too right you are.

It's already pretty much beyond ccontainment. Even if they successfully contain this wave (doubtful), it'll hit them in the fall.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
My husband is coming back tomorrow from Wash DC.
Even if he's getting here late at night I already told him that the first thing he'll do is take a shower. He's going to be in 3 different airports and 2 airplanes.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by haika

sadly a shower will not help him if he already has it.

make him sleep on the couch for a week too just to be safe.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23
reply to post by haika

sadly a shower will not help him if he already has it.

make him sleep on the couch for a week too just to be safe.

That'll be funny. My mother-in-law is visiting, she'll arrive tomorrow (she's driving though) and if she sees him sleeping on the sofa she'll be like "WTF is going on here?" JK

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I think it is already communal. The tests we are hearing about were started 4-5 days ago. Anyone they had contact with before the tests, while they were in the community shedding this obviously very virulent virus, will have started shedding the virus themselves 4-2 days and started showing symtoms 2 days ago.

Anyone who could catch the virus from that secondary/tertiary person has just been infected in the last couple of days. And they now are walking around symptomless, but shedding the virus.

The person who went to Mexico for a cheap vacation got back 5 days ago. Was shedding the virus for 2 or 3 days without symptoms, while they interacted with people in your community, went shopping, peed on the toilet, kissed their children good night. Some of the people they contacted, like their child, then picked up the virus 2 days ago and went to school where they have been shedding the virus in school. The guy who went on vacation Mexico just started getting sick yesterday. Today he feels like a Mac Truck hit him. He's thinking of going to the doctor.

Meanwhile, the cashier he handed money to at the supermarket is about 1 day from showing symptoms, is at work and just coughed on her hand then handed another person their change. The cashier will never know who she got the virus from. The person who just took their changed has no idea they are going to be sick in 5 days, and will have no clue or link to Mexico-Vacation guy.

Communal Virus. It is in the community, and in the next couple of days we'll start seeing just how virulent it is.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
I think it is already communal. The tests we are hearing about were started 4-5 days ago. Anyone they had contact with before the tests, while they were in the community shedding this obviously very virulent virus, will have started shedding the virus themselves 4-2 days and started showing symtoms 2 days ago.

Anyone who could catch the virus from that secondary/tertiary person has just been infected in the last couple of days. And they now are walking around symptomless, but shedding the virus.

The person who went to Mexico for a cheap vacation got back 5 days ago. Was shedding the virus for 2 or 3 days without symptoms, while they interacted with people in your community, went shopping, peed on the toilet, kissed their children good night. Some of the people they contacted, like their child, then picked up the virus 2 days ago and went to school where they have been shedding the virus in school. The guy who went on vacation Mexico just started getting sick yesterday. Today he feels like a Mac Truck hit him. He's thinking of going to the doctor.

Meanwhile, the cashier he handed money to at the supermarket is about 1 day from showing symptoms, is at work and just coughed on her hand then handed another person their change. The cashier will never know who she got the virus from. The person who just took their changed has no idea they are going to be sick in 5 days, and will have no clue or link to Mexico-Vacation guy.

Communal Virus. It is in the community, and in the next couple of days we'll start seeing just how virulent it is.

I would hate to say it but you summed up my fears. Just like the new reported case in Indiana. A student at Notre Dame, who DID NOT go to Mexico as far as we have been told. Which means he got it from somebody else and besides that fact, he has been to school hasn't he? What do you think that means for the school even though they don't plan on shutting it down?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Yes. I've been thinking and saying we'd know within, well, now it would be 24 to 48 hours, but I keep forgetting I'm spoiled by ATS: we're as close to real time as it gets, I think. The MSM is 48 to 96 hours behind us, as far as I can tell...what's your opinion on that?

We, the ATS community, should really be thinking through the implications of that gap. How best should we use that time and knowledge advantage? If we perceive a pattern, and actually do have members who have access to important officials of whatever stripe, do we try to give them a heads-up? Or is it every wo/man for themselves?

[edit on 29-4-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Every home in the United Kingdom to recieve leaflets fron Government.
Health Service have ordered 32,000,000 face masks
Plentiful suply of Tamiflu but low stocks of anti-biotics to treat secondary infections.
Some doctors warning to expect deaths.

What do they know that we dont?

[edit on 29-4-2009 by 18731542]

SMR

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

# Copenhagen:
Seven Suspected Cases Discharged from Hospital for Home Isolation.
#swineflu23 minutes ago from web

Home isolation? Hmmm .....
Are infected ( that sounds harsh, I know ) being sent home in other areas? This is the first I am reading about 'Home Isolation'.

Denmark:
60-Year-Old Woman in Aalborg Isolated for Suspected Swine Influenza Infection.

EDIT: Added Denmark headline

[edit on 29-4-2009 by SMR]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
about 50 or so people in home isolation in the UK

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

This is true, and definitely possible...

Just buying groceries in a packed supermarket, it occurred to me that if even just one of those people was a family member of someone coming back from overseas, it'd spread exceedingly rapidly into the wider community.

Like the WHO said, there's no chance of containment, it's just a matter of watching and waiting to see if can indeed sustain itself among the population.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

I think your correct about the lag time with the MSm and here on ATS..The down side of reaching out to an official if you have one in your grasp is that most likely they are already in a chain of command type operation and probably wont deviate from that on the CYA protocal..

I would be willing to say that we could use the real time info gathering to help each other here as a community...I mean this may get like as real as it gets..only time will tell

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Well guys, I hate to admit it but I'm gonna be that "scared, paranoid, foolish,
, etc" guy who heads out and preps for this thing... there is too much that doesn't add up and I really don't want to be prepping during a wave of hysteria... Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Besides, a few extra groceries isn't going to hurt me... It'd actually benefit me from having to take multiple trips to the store..

Once a death is reported or even rumored outside of Mexico we'll see a new fear in the public (no one seems to be concerned since no one has died yet, out of Mexico - at least, that is what people are saying)... I want to be ready for it. I don't see it being too far. Hope that whatever you guys do you remain safe in the coming weeks and months regardless of your decisions...

Damn.. now I gotta figure out what to buy..

I'll let you guys know how WalMart and other stores are and check back later. I'm assuming they will be getting more business than usual with a lot of liquids being purchased, as well as bleach and other cleaners. I'll take pics if it's anything noteworthy.

Be back in a bit...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
What i dont understand is that in the world about 250000-500000 ppl die of flu every year.... to make its easy maths wise lets use a number between.. so lets take 365000

That means 1000 ppl die of the flu every day, now i have a question about this.

If they displaying suspected swine flu cases, surely with 1000 ppl dying a day from common flu we should have alot more suspected deaths of swine flu?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Only 7 confirmed swine flu deaths: WHO

au.news.yahoo.com

A member of the World Health Organisation (WHO) has dismissed claims that more than 150 people have died from swine flu, saying it has officially recorded only seven deaths around the world.

Reports have put the likely death toll from the virus at 152, with Mexican officials confirming 20 deaths.

The number of cases under observation in Mexico alone has reportedly reached 1,614.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Swine Flu news and updates thread
swine flu question... answer me dammit and end the madness

SMR

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

Wonder what all this will do to the economy.Surely it couldn't hurt to have millions spending money on supplies they think they might need in fear of a world wide epidemic ...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Tykonos

I may be official ATS material now; my spouse thinks I am paranoid. I have been monitoring this flu since last week, and mocking the MSM news programs for their lack of relevance and gross under-reporting. Some of the broadcasts have spewed outright lies and disinformation on the seriousness of this pandemic. Let me explain.

On Larry King Live one Dr. Oz explained that we have 30,000 deaths from flu every year in the USA and we have only had a scant 150 deaths in Mexico from this flu. His conclusion, “there is nothing to worry about.” His reasoning, “…because we have no clear denominator (for the death to ill equation) we can’t tell how bad this flu is.”

Here is the flaw in the logic; We would have 36 million flu cases to create those 30,000 deaths; or less than one tenth of one percentage point.

Taking what numbers we have now from Mexico City and extrapolating the ratio against the number of deaths we discover the following. For each death we could expect 1,000 people to be ill with the virus. Therefore, 159 dead would require 159,000 infected. But the Mexican government is saying there are only 2,500. Even at ten fold of what they report, 25,000 ill, we are so very far away from the 159,000 to have simple flu like death expectancy.

Who is lying? It is scary to look at 159 deaths in 2,500 cases because it delivers a frightening 6% death rate. And for those not familiar with plagues, this is many fold above other major pandemics and is targeting the strongest immune systems, not the frail and young.

This flu is exhibiting a death rate 1,000 times greater than an ordinary flu. But not outside of Mexico you say, give it time. If we have a 6% death rate we need 100 cases for 6 deaths. I am sorry to say we shall see those within the next two days. And will you understand the fear then?

I have always been suspect of the MSM, but only after comparing the web’s rapid response and vast scope of news against the Six-o-clock news; have I seen the light. My spouse and I were nurtured on the MSM. Tom B. would never lie to us, and he keeps us informed with all the important information needed. Yeah right! Maybe 24 hours later.

News is selected, and reports from officials are spun to their financial and political benefit. The nightly news is a joke and is tuned to keep people calm and focused on producing tax revenues.

But I digress. We are under attack now and only the guarded are going to survive. And yet we also will be trimmed further once mass vaccinations are decreed.

Expect this event to peak over 30 days to a mind numbing level, and then subside…but in early September expect the beginning of our true misery.

May we all find courage to help those in need.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
remove double post.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by Absum!]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
It will die down in 4-6 weeks as summer kicks in for the northern hemisphere. The cases we're seeing are 'mild' as the virus finds its feet with the seasonal flu strain.

The N1H1 virus will mutate over the summer and attack again in autumn. This second wave could then be 'the big one', a similar pattern to the 1918 pandemic.

If deaths are reported in many different continents, then that is a sign that wave two will be deadly, on an unprecedented scale.

Tamiflu will be useless as it will have been saturated into the populous and so it's defence will be little against the mutated virus.

This weekend will be definitive to know how dangerous this thing will get.

Best case scenario: no deaths outside of Mexico in next 10 days.
Worse case scenario: deaths will happen (USA then Europe) but the cases will get lower and lower. Summer happens, we forget all the coffufle, but in the fall, SHTF.

new topics

top topics

<< 113  114  115    117  118  119 >>

join