It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biotechnology Company Provided Advance Warning of Mexican H1N1 "Swine Flu" Virus Outbreak

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by toepick
I think the warnings by Biden and Powel just had to do with the economic crisis..politicians tend to make anything they feel is important overly dramatic. And the economy is without a doubt still a crisis despite all the 'pumping' attempts made lately by the MSM. And Obama HAS lost a lot of popularity by his actions, i.e. the bailouts.

Retroviralsounds... you have the scariest take on this swine flu thing I have read anywhere. When ever some one makes a post of that magnitude I like to look back at some of that persons previous posts to get a feel of where that person is coming from. Sort of a profile if you will. In your case, I find this quote from another thread that you started:

When I die, my universe ends completely and ceases to exist. My 'ending' may be an apocalyptic one, where everyone on the planet is wiped out and the universe collapses on itself. Poof. Yours may be, slowly dying of TB and vanishing off the planet. Another yet may be, you are the bringer of the end of your universe. etc.

Now this kinda confuses me because on one hand you seem to think that we all control our destiny. So shouldn't we all just be able to 'will' this out of existence? But more serious is that you seem to believe this IS serious enough that despite what you believe philosophically; you feel this virus is dangerous enough that even you can't control it in your universe...or (and again taken from some of your posts). Maybe you feel like you want it to happen so you can invent the cure to it? Or help out in some major way.

I'm honestly not trying to knock your position at all..your statement (in this thread) worries me. And I am a Paramedic, have been for going on 17 years now. So believe me this scares me, I am THE first one to be in a really bad position if this breaks. And I take precautions and have for the past 17 years. note that I have NEVER nor will I EVER take a flu shot

But, I am curious to know what you know that you might not be telling us. You have stated that you do work for big bio-chem. I am also curious to know why despite the particular virus being a combination of swine viruses from two continents, not including the USA, AND of avian virus, AND of human flu virus, you didn't seem to be familiar with that part of the equation despite that being one of the primary concerns reported in the MSM.

Is this the perfect storm??

Or do the combination of all these genomes also give it some built in weaknesses.

And the bigger question has been posted already...can such a combination have occurred without human intervention.

What do I know that you do not? As of right now absolutely nothing, unfortunately I have not been to work since early tuesday afternoon but I will return on monday to what I am sure will be a very nice early morning meeting. All I know is we are prepared, we knew it was coming. All I have seen about this flu so far is what I have read, just like you, and applied my knowledge too. Every microbiologist, epidemilogist and virologist is probably crapping themselves right now (75% in fear, 25% with some morbid interest because its what we study and a case like this will provide stock piles of data).

You guys need to stop with the human intervention thing, that is an absolute NON FACTOR. I already explained why it just popped up. I can atttempt to explain why its a combination of two swine flu strains to anyone who wants to U2U.

And as far as me being the great saviour, in my field thats always a dream, and I appreciate your flattery, but I am only 24 years old... I am FAR from a savior.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by retroviralsounds

And as far as me being the great saviour, in my field thats always a dream, and I appreciate your flattery, but I am only 24 years old... I am FAR from a savior.

but your knowledge is very appreciated. the kind of human intervention that i am thinking of is the fact some people knew what was about to happen but didnt raise the red flag.

crap this a1h1 virus was predicted a year ago .

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
In the words of Douglas Adams

Don't Panic!

Sure the MSM is talking all about this, with what Obama and Co. are doing to the country, who wouldn't want a distraction? But give it a rest.

Speculation will only spread more fear.
We have enough EMS personnel here to tell us the truth if we need it.
Hell, just Twitter EMS people around the globe.
But calm down. If is is the Sh&% then at least, we will know it before anyone else who just watches MSM.

ANdtake it for what its worth, but if this thing does come down the pike as a big killer, pray, keep isolated. Do whatever, we will get through this.

One thing that every stinking politician, leader, policy wonk, or loser forgets is that the strength of the american people will overcome anything.

They constantly underestimate us.

Their loss: our advantage.

Keep the faith my brothers and sisters.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Just because my opinion is different from the majority's opinion here does not mean that I am trolling. I've read a lot about this virus since the news broke Thursday, and I've read each of your responses. So far there is absolutely no reason to believe that this virus is going to turn into a global pandemic. A 7% mortality rate in one of the world's poorer countries is far from a threatening figure. Rhetoric aside, my point will be proven in the coming weeks.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aesun

A 7% mortality rate in one of the world's poorer countries is far from a threatening figure. Rhetoric aside, my point will be proven in the coming weeks.

I hope that you are correct... and you could be - and that would be a very good thing!
Meanwhile - not a bad idea for people to pay attention - use their common sense and do what they can - to protect themselves and their families.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by toepick
btw, the NYC case so far seems to be human flu. yahoo news video

also, all the children are doing okay, feeling better, and none are hospitalized.

Actually they now think it is likely to be swine flu.

Tests show that eight students at a Queens high school are likely to have contracted the human swine flu virus that has struck Mexico

Link to Article

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
British Airways Crew Member isolated with swine flu symptoms

It doesn't take long to make the rounds....

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
So this is a distinctive antigenic shift and not a drift? As far as I was aware an antigenic shift can only occur in type A while a drift can occur over the spectrum of all 3... Any word on the effectivness of rimantadine vs iseltamivir?

~ LeAto

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Aesun

Just because my opinion is different from the majority's opinion here does not mean that I am trolling.

I thought that ATS was a website where free-thinking individuals came together to rationally discuss things. After reading the last four pages, every post seems to be getting gradually more outrageous.

when u insinuate that people here aren not free thinking you arent making sense. its how we all stumbled upon ats. we are all free thinking people.

when you start calling people irrational and outrageous you are trolling kinda.
its not that you disagree its how you go about it.

i hope you can come back here in a couple weeks and say I TOLD YOU SO!!1!!!!!

just tell the families of the dead in mexico city this is a non-event.

[edit on 25-4-2009 by elitegamer23]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeAto
So this is a distinctive antigenic shift and not a drift? As far as I was aware an antigenic shift can only occur in type A while a drift can occur over the spectrum of all 3... Any word on the effectivness of rimantadine vs iseltamivir?

~ LeAto

Seems like you know more than the rest of us. I'm your basic genotype vs phenotype type of guy. Speaking frankly, what difference does it make?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Interesting stuff from Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org...

So the main killer in Flu outbreaks is a cytokine storm, where the bodys immune system starts to go into overdrive. There was a possible solution to this with an experimental drug, but not surprisingly the company making it was bought out by a private equity firm, & POOF - the most promising drug disappears into oblivion:

"OX40 IG
A 2003 report in the Journal of Experimental Medicine published by researchers at Imperial College London demonstrates[7] the possibility of preventing a cytokine storm by inhibiting or disabling T-cell response. A few days after T cells are activated, they produce a biologic molecule called OX40, a "survival signal" that keeps activated T-cells working at the site of inflammation during infection with influenza or other pathogens. OX40 binds to receptors on T-cells, preventing them from dying and subsequently increasing cytokine production. A combined protein, OX40-immunoglobulin (OX40-Ig), a man-made fusion protein, prevents OX40 from reaching the T-cell receptors, thus reducing the T-cell response. Experiments in mice have demonstrated that OX40-Ig can reduce the symptoms associated with an immune overreaction while allowing the immune system to fight off the virus successfully. By blocking the OX40 receptor on T-cells, researchers were able to prevent the development of the most serious flu symptoms in these experimental mice[7] and reported the results in New Scientist.[8] The drug, to be made by a company called Xenova Research (Xenova Research was purchased by Celtic Pharma, a private equity firm, in September 2005), was supposed to be in phase I clinical trial in 2004, but its status is currently unknown.[9]"

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

just tell the families of the dead in mexico city this is a non-event.

I'm entirely certain that more people have died from things such as violence or drunk driving in mexico city since Thursday, than have died from the swine flu. I'm not saying that the death of a few people, or even a single person is unimportant. However, I am saying that the so-called global pandemic is simply not going to occur from the swine flu.

It's too bad that some people have died to an interesting virus in mexico city, but compared the number of people that have died since Thursday from much more mundane causes, the whole thing is rather insignificant.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity
British Airways Crew Member isolated with swine flu symptoms

It doesn't take long to make the rounds....

I hate being British, our "leaders" are just too stupid for words:

LONDON (BNO NEWS) – A British Airways crew member has been hospitalized in a British hospital after returning from Mexico, health officials told BNO News early Sunday.

"The Trust can confirm that a male patient is being treated in Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, following his return from Mexico. He has flu-like symptoms and is responding well to treatment, the patient was admitted directly to a side room and the hospital is scrupulously following infection control procedures to ensure there is no risk to any other individual in the hospital," North West London Hospitals said in a brief statement.

Jonathan Street, who is a spokesman for the hospital, told BNO news that swine flu is considered to be among the possibilities. "Because he came from Mexico it obviously makes it more alarming than it would be if he came from somewhere else, but we don't know yet what the test will reveal," Street said. None of the passengers on board his plane have reported feeling sick.

......But surely if it has a 5 day incubation period or whatever then they won't be feeling ill - YET!!!

So what have they done with all of these passengers that were stuck on an airplane with him, breathing in all of that recirculated air??

Quarantined them all?

No, it looks like they've allowed them to waltz through the airport full of people about to board planes to all over the World, & then go home!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeAto

~ LeAto

Its not an antigenic shift/ drift. Its h1n1. I think you were referring to genetic shift/ drift, in which case its most likely a shift that is necessary to jump species.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aesun

is 9/11 a non event? only 3000 people died and that is nothing compared to drunk driving caused deaths.
www.alcoholalert.com...

17,448 alcohol-related fatalities in 2001

you are comparing apples to oranges now.

news.yahoo.com...

MEXICO CITY – A unique strain of swine flu is the suspected killer of dozens of people in Mexico, where authorities closed schools, museums, libraries and theaters in the capital on Friday to try to contain an outbreak that has spurred concerns of a global flu epidemic.

let me tell you mexico loves soccer.
www.iol.co.za...

authorities announced that two professional soccer games scheduled for this Sunday will be played without spectators, behind closed doors, to avoid massive gatherings of people.

i know i wont change how you view this current flu event and you wont change my mind about the current flu non- event but im just trying to help you see where most of the people interested in these threads are comming from.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Most people are bored and are desperately searching for something to entertain them. Pretending that the swine flu is somehow going to turn the world on its head is entertainment. I certainly don't begrudge anyone their right some quality, speculative entertainment. However, I am greatly looking forward to saying "I told you so," when the swine flu turns out to be just another blip on the radar.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

An antigenic shift is a reassortment or exchange of genomic segments... Hence the word going around that its a combination of two seperate a-h1n1 strains from different continents... While an Antigenic Drift are changes in hemagglutinn and neuraminidase proteins... Changing H1N1 possibly to H2N1 or the similar... I am unsure if that is actually how a drift is correlated to a representation... Does it change the H and N marker identifications... Through the replikin research talks about shifts within peptide and protein structures so would it be catagorized as a drift or shift? I do not know... Anyone that can cite with reference beyond wiki or twitter?

reply to post by retroviralsounds

No I am refering to antigenic drift/shift and not a genetic drift/shift... Very similar concepts though... Antigenic's refers to changes within RNA bases while genetic(in this context) refers to DNA. Though you are very much correct it is H1N1... Think of it this way... You have a Novel it goes its individual story's name, and that novel is part of a larger series of books(harry potter? the h1n1 series) variations on the same theme.. Maybe a bad analogy probably but I think your all intelligent to understand the basic concept...

~ LeAto

*Edited for Second Reply Comment*

[edit on 25-4-2009 by LeAto]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
antigenic shift is a combination of strains and drift is a change in traits of a single strain.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Aesun

Most people are bored and are desperately searching for something to entertain them.

sounds like a trolling comment to me

However, I am greatly looking forward to saying "I told you so," when the swine flu turns out to be just another blip on the radar.

sounds like another trolling comment to me and maybe you are the one who is bored.

everything is about perspective. im sure you could find tens of thousands of people in mexico city alone who would consider this more than a blimb on some imaginary radar.
im guessing 1000s of people could come down with this flu and maybe 70 or more could die and you would still consider it a non event.
it just depends how one looks at it with the opinions they have.

most of the people currently interested in this ongoing event would welcome you back here saying I TOLD YOU SO!!!1!!!!

we would welcome a happy ending out of all this.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

a shift does not have to be a combination of strains but within an antigenic shift a combination of strains can occur..."Infectious Diseases, Frederick S. Southwick, McGraw Hill Publishing 2005"

~ LeAto

* edited with source information *

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join