Why do some people laugh at Funerals?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Carl lost his mom in 2007 to natural causes. I've only known him since 98' but I can say that he is a firm serious guy. His mom didn't talk much but she did offer me whatever she could spare when I visited her home.

During her funeral ceremony the Preachor talked about how sweet of a person she was and all the sacrifices she made for her kids and then Carl starts to laugh. His laugh sounded like the puppet on SAW but much louder and his eyes were locked on to some invisible object.

Carl isn't the first person that I've noticed this happening too but he is the most recent. They all stare and laugh.

Why?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Has anyone here noticed this behavior in a friend or loved one?

Or has this happened to you for some reason?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
There is an absurdity to the sombre nature of a funeral, and what you said about the puppet on SAW, I myself laughed out loud when I read that, and to be honest, Idon't know why!

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by OrangeJuice

Ever heard of nervous laughter?

Carl was under a lot of pressure and his emotions were in turmoil. As well as losing his mum, he was sitting there in public during her service.

Some people laugh, some people cry, but it is definitely not a conscious choice.

Carl, poor guy, laughed because he had lost control of his emotions.

It is like kids laughing during solemn occasions because they have been warned not to, therefore their mind dwells on it, therefore they laugh.

Laughing is close to crying. In fact, a lot of people have tears when they laugh. As love is close to hate. In other words, our extreme emotions and reactions are very close.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Forgive me if I seem insensitive, I don't mean to hurt your feelings, you are refreshing orange juice and death is very serious, or is it?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
My aunts friend laughed at her husbands funeral. I believe it to be something of an odd way of dealing with the emotions or just plainly, the death of the loved one has caused so much emotional stress it has made them go a little mental

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Something I was told recently is that most people who were close to the deceased do not actively listen to the service. They are relieving memories of the person and this may account for some of it. I am not positive on it but this is what my grandmother shared with me.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I know what I saw sounds strange but you can't help but notice the way his body locked in place and he started to laugh.

It's almost like he wasn't there at all. He is very withdrawn now but maybe his mind was trying to block out what the preacher was saying...

i'm not sure

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Could be the giggle loop...

www.youtube.com...

Hugs,
Dax

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

I didn't take your post as offensive and you probably are visualizing what I saw

so your reply is fine.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I like you OrangeJuice, you have a cute, compassionate and innocent quality about you that I can read between the lines. You are a very nice person I can tell. And refreshing!

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
There's a lot of emotional energy at funerals and people handle it differently. Sometimes the sense of tragedy doesn't really "hit home" until the person fully realizes their loved one is gone, and it's kind of repressed in that way. It's hard to tell what a person might do to vent their feelings, or what their beliefs are about death and how they really feel. It's a touchy issue for all of society. Some people don't even think funerals are appropriate for celebrating someone's death. But nothing sounds unusual about what you describe, at least to me. I've smiled and laughed at loved ones' funerals, you don't have to be visibly mournful to be saddened by the loss, and you can still appreciate the things about them that made you happy while they were alive.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
As for Carl, I'd say your instincts are accurate, and that he may be in need of some counselling. What you "saw" doesn't sound healthy and you say he's been withdrawn since - he needs to talk it out and get some love. Losing a godly mother isn't easy and I can say that from first hand experience. It's hard to get over and you never really do, given that it's our mothers who are the one's who love us unconditionally, which is the closest we get to the love of God in human form.

My instincts reading between the lines between the lines is you saw Carl snap and a crack may have opened up in him there.. help him if you can. He can be restored by the love of God, and nothing less imho.

[edit on 25-4-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
did you ask him if he was laughing in response to what the preacher said about his mom?

like... the preacher said she was a kind person and sacrificed alot.. when in all actuality.. she was greedy and unimagineably abusive?

and he laughed when the preacher tried to make it all respectable sounding?

i doubt you asked him that.. just because maybe it isn't true and that's not why.. risky asking..

but imagine how many nasty scumbaggy people die and have a preacher say well they were soo outstanding and they brought a smile to our face.. when it's all really a complete lie and the preacher's being payed to make it "all quaint and funeral-like"...

-

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I've never been good at funerals, I miss the person, but the funeral to me is, while intended to be a solemn occasion, is something that I feel should be more of a memorial party.
Like when someone retires.
When my grandfather died, while I loved the man, I didn't really mourn at his funeral. He was a great man, and I don't think he would have wanted people to cry at his dispense.

So, I managed to cheer up my various younger relatives, and got veryone laughing, talking about our grandfather, the good times, and what we'd miss about him.
Over all, though, we we were happy to know him.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
No I didn't ask him if he was laughing because the preacher said his mom was sweet and loving...

He is withdrawn though and to me it did not look like a normal are you kidding laugh.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrangeJuice
Has anyone here noticed this behavior in a friend or loved one?

Or has this happened to you for some reason?

Yes. My mom recently passed away (2 1/2 yrs.) and I can remember a couple occasions, usually with my closest friends around me, when I was balling my eyes out, and all of a sudden just start laughing.

Can't explain it though......I don't know........sorr.y

Weird.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
It appears as if the mind is taking comfort in laughter when faced with tragedy. I've noticed this behavior in 3 different families and not one is likely to joke around for any reason at a loved ones death.

so Maybe this is why some say there are no words to explain how I feel?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

I'm the kind of guy who laughs at a funeral
Can't understand what I mean? Well, you soon will

ARTIST: Barenaked Ladies
TITLE: One Week
www.guntheranderson.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Perhaps he was simply living though a good memory in his head?

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join