It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Observing the Cosmos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I would like to start this thread for others and myself to observe the cosmos. I personally enjoy observing, I feel there are different energies due Earths position to the cosmos. Ill do my best to keep my personal ramblings out of the opening posts.

Intentions of the thread are for the real positions of the sun, moon, plants and stars.

Note: Most astrology sites do NOT list the true positions. I could posts a ton of links here to show how most astrology sites disagree with true positions. The reasons for this would take a thread in itself pertaining to the differences in tropical zodiac, sidereal zodiac and real solar zodiacs ( I am still learning about them all).

Sites that a person can check for true observations-

www.earthsky.org... (this gets a daily update of something for all to observe).

www.heavens-above.com... (the astronomy part of this site is a blast to play with)

www.spaceweather.com... (daily updates on the sun as well as a great site that posts extras now and then)

aa.usno.navy.mil... (under the data services, one can click on 'what the moon looks like today' to confirm times of 'dark moon')

Today just so happens to be the start of the 'dark moon'.

en.wikipedia.org...

***A dark moon describes the Moon during that time that it is invisible against the backdrop of the Sun in the sky. The duration of a dark moon is between 1.5 and 3.5 days, depending on the orientation of the Earth and Sun.

In astronomical usage, the new moon occurs in the middle of this period, when the moon and sun are in conjunction. This definition has entered popular usage, so that calendars will typically indicate the date of the "new moon" rather than the "dark moon". However, originally "new moon" referred to the crescent on the first night it is visible, one or two days after conjunction. Maritime records from the nineteenth century distinguish the dark moon (no moon) from the new moon (young crescent).***

For my own personal clearness, I like to say dark moon is the time of 'no moon' and the new moon is when the first sign of a crescent moon can be observed. Observation of the new moon in some religions is very important to their cultures, especially the new crescent after spring equinox, marking the start of a new year.

Now personally, I am not much into astrology for predicting things....but I think that personal intuitions can be pulled by observing the cosmos. I think 'if' there is to be a 'foretelling' of sorts, then the practice of observing can take a personal relation to the individual and they should be the one to seek and find meaning.

Even though I try to keep separate Astrology and Astronomy, now and then I like to dwell on certain things because Astrology goes back to ancient times. So for now, lets note something about energies of the 'dark moon' in Astrology--

astrology.about.com...

***When is the Dark Moon? : Also known as the "dead" Moon, this is the time when there is no solar reflection, leaving the lunar face in darkness. The dark lasts about three days before the new crescent appears.
Is this the same as the New Moon?: For many, the new Moon begins at the moment of the Sun-Moon conjunction, but for others it remains the dark Moon until that crescent is in view. As the Moon wanes toward those final days of darkness, there's often a turn inward. In those contemplative moments, the inner reality is presented through dreams and waking visions. It's fertile ground for the new Moon intentions to be conjured.
How does the Dark Moon differ from the New Moon?: The dark of the Moon is the most powerful time psychically. It seems to lure us toward the deepest self, the longings of the soul, and restful listening is a great way to receive these messages. It's been compared to the dormant seed under the winter snow, or the cocoon holding the butterfly. You might feel tired, or crave quiet solitude. It's important to make space for the unfolding of the spirit at this time. Like death itself, it's preparation for the new beginning that begins with the crescent.***

On a personal note, I have had some of my most awesome dreams during dark moon phase.

There is defiantly more to observe right now, there is always things to observe...but for the OP I will stick with the 'dark moon'. I hope others join me and make this a on going discussion that we can all come to and note on the 'observations of the cosmos'!

We can add anything here that relates to observing our skies-

Hope others add and enjoy this topic!

LV

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Orion is easy to view now but will soon disapear for another season-

www.earthsky.org...

***The famous constellation Orion will soon disappear for another season.

At this time of year, the famous constellation Orion is descending in the southwest to west in the hours after sunset. Orion is noticeable for its bright stars and its distinctive pattern on the sky’s dome. Look for three stars in a short, straight row. And look for Betelgeuse and Rigel, Orion’s brightest stars. If you didn’t come to know it this winter, check it out now. It’s one of the most distinctive of all star patterns.

On today’s chart, I’ve marked the location of a cloud in interstellar space . . . located in the direction to Orion. Binoculars or small telescopes reveal the beautiful Orion Nebula, which is otherwise known as M42, if you have a dark-enough sky. Will you spot the nebula in a twilight or early evening sky on these April evenings? The only way to know for sure is to look.

If you do find the Orion Nebula in early evening now, you’ll spot it in the middle of a curved line of stars that appears attached to Orion’s Belt. This curved line is the Sword of Orion. The Orion Nebula looks to the eye like a hazy “star” in the Sword. But the slightest optical aid reveals much more. ***

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Venus brightest before dawn for 2009-

www.earthsky.org...

***Monday, April 27, 2009.

This week the planet Venus shines at its brightest before dawn.

Venus won’t appear this bright in the morning sky again until December of the year 2010. Look eastward before dawn to see this dazzling world fairly close to the horizon. Another bright object – fainter and higher up in the predawn sky – is the planet Jupiter.

If you have a dark sky, and if your landscape is covered by snow or white sand, you might see Venus cast a shadow. Venus rises just as dawn begins to brighten the sky as seen from mid-northern latitudes, so you’re not likely to see Venus’ shadow from there. But this brightest of planets rises well before dawn in the southern hemisphere. So you might see a shadow cast by Venus around now from the southern part of Earth’s globe.

Surprisingly, Venus doesn’t shine at its brightest when it’s at full phase as seen from Earth. It shines most brilliantly in our sky when it appears as a crescent from Earth – about 25% illuminated. Each day since March 27 – when Venus passed from our evening sky to our morning sky – this planet has been closer to Earth than it will be tomorrow morning.

But it’s only now that the crescent of Venus appears wide enough from our earthly perspective for Venus to shine at its brightest.

Throughout 2009, Venus’ phase will increase in size as seen from Earth. Yet, Venus will move farther away from Earth, too far away to shine at maximum brilliance. Venus’ greatest brilliancy depends on that critical balance between the largeness of its phase and its distance from Earth.

Despite Venus’ variation in brightness, though, it’s always the brightest celestial object after the sun and moon. ***

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Info from HeavensAbove-

The Sun is rising in Aries and will remain in Aries until May 14th. May 15th the sun will rise in Taurus.

Since we have 'dark moon' right now, then the moon is also in Aries with the Sun. The moon will move into Taurus on April 27th.

Mercury is in Aries with the Sun and Moon

Venus is in Pisces
Mars is in Pisces
Uranus is in Pisces

Jupiter is in Capricornus
Neptune is in Capricornus

Saturn is in Leo

Pluto is in Sagittarius

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I have a hard time assigning any sort of credibility to astrology. The constellations are only there because we project patterns onto them, being in possession of a brain which is overclocked and evolved specifically for pattern recognition. From a casual glance on the Earth, the stars all seem to be about the same relative distance, but even a cursory look at what we can determine about their distances shows that many of the stars within even a single constellation only look close together due to our vantage point. Pull back and away from Sol or a bit and travel to the next nearest star to us. Most all of the constellations are gone. Some constellations are comprised of stars in completely separate spiral arms of the galaxy altogether!

Using the program Celestia to keep the connecting lines which form the constellations uniform, lets take a look at our guiding stars from a few different vantage points.

First, we have our view of the stars from Earth. Looks fairly normal and all, and the constellations are clearly visible and in their proper position.

Now lets zoom out a bit to another planet, one of the closest known planets to our own solar system. Eri b, a gas giant about 10 light years from us. Notice how the constellations from Eri's vantage point have undergone substantial deformation due to the distance between the stars which make up the constellations.

Now let's center our focus back on our solar system, the focal point of constellation arrangement. However, from our Solar System - let's travel out about 1,600 light years to get a more complete picture of what our constellations look like and their variable distances. You can't even tell what's what anymore - and our projected importance assigned to those stars looks like a jumbled mess from an outside perspective.

And finally, let's zoom completely out of our Galaxy to get an even more complete picture of the actual distances between the stars, and the disorder that our projected images and importance forms. It may be a bit hard to see, but even though the vast majority of stars which make up our constellations are moderately local - a few of them aren't even in the same spiral arm as us and the other stars which belong to the same constellation.

So... I'm sorry, but I can't see astrology as having any real merit, because I can't see where the positions of the stars are anything at all other than completely arbitrary to our particular vantage point - which we're only viewing from by the sheerest happenstance - and only appear to have significance because we assigned that importance to them originating in a time when many peoples still believed all the stars were the same distance away - affixed to the underside of a crystalline dome which which covered the Earth and kept the waters of the deep at bay.

[edit on 24-4-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Hurray for the sun, the moon, earth, the other planets and all the stars and galaxies. Hurray for all creation! Yay!

I just needed to express that. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

I think you bring up great points. I try to stick with the 'observations of astronomy' instead of the 'foretelling of astrology'.

But, since I study ancient beliefs, astrology has some appeal to me.

So yes, we can say that from different positions in space, constellations have no merit and also, the constellations even from Earths view point, are just made up figurines in the sky. BUT-it is handy to have a idea of 'separations' through the elliptic pathway....it helps keep a image in the mind of where the positions of sun, moon and planets are.

Here is where there can be much debate on correct zodiacs. Even though I dont see merit in horoscopes or foretelling for the most part -I do believe we are ONE with all things and that we might come here being born under a certain birth sign by choice to help us along our way OR we can use the cosmos as an 'awakening'.

I believe the Universe is very much a live and I think there is an awakening going on within the Universe along with our own awakenings. I think when we can meditate and focus on how everything can be ONE, then observing something such as the cosmos can be somewhat magical. Its like when you are aware of a beauty or a wonder outside of you, that beauty or wonder becomes aware of you too!

That may sound far out there...but I truly feel there is something happening when we observe, are aware, and know we are ONE with what we are observing.

I know I have seen fascinating things happen on days of particular movements in the heavens (or Earths movements more or less to the heavens) and it has been a part of my journey. I find it no coincidence my mothers most phenomenal experience was on Summer Solstice and that whole month before her NDE I kept observing Mars and Saturn in my Leo. I knew that Mars and Saturn were going to conjunct the heart of Leo and after her experience I had to sit back and honestly ask myself if those things were just coincidences. But I dont believe in coincidences!...LOL....I even told her a couple weeks before she went down hill that if there was any truth to reading stars, I thought we would loose a great king that month. Or was it a Queen??

Now she dreams of star charts she saw below the sphinx....and I feel energies during the dark moon....and when the planets conjunct it seems like strange things happen that make me face something in life. She said there are many many books on the stars, below the sphinx....this has also led me to keep a open mind more.

I know the constellations are just segments...and I like to focus more on the cardinal stars to watch the passing of planets more then the actually constellations. But tis fun sometimes.

Zodiacs are different, and I find this highly frustrating. I grew up thinking I was a Virgo (yes, I know , there really is no meaning literally) but mabey there is a deeper meaning for the self. I believe in reincarnation and I think we play a part in our own coming here. I think since the zodiac has been a part of human culture almost longer then anything else, it is very possible a reincarnation can choose a time to come with the sun in a certain backdrop of sky. A couple years ago, I found out the sun really rose in Leo on my birth, and this actually awakened me in a small way during my journey for truths. After realizing so many astrology sites DO NOT show true positions, I cant help but to ask WHY even if I dont want a horoscope....its for the others that pay to get info from those sites that I am sticking up for.

But back to observing....since we are on Earth, and this is our ground to observe from....then I think its not a worry about the other positions of observations, like from other stars ect. Astrology may be more for fun, but I dont shrug the entire idea off that there can be a awareness happen or an awakening through the observing. And like I said in the OP.....if someone THINKS there is a intuitive meaning to the order in the cosmos....its best they search that alignment themselves, for most likely it is personal and should saty personal...find your own meaning ect.

I also think the cosmos are a great way for people to synchronize! If we are all taking in the beauty together, commenting on it together....and feeling the stars smiling back at us *smiles* then a awesome positive energy can emanate.....a double awakening can happen. I have been observing a couple years now and still have much to learn...but the constellations are handy for keeping the pathway in the mind of the movements of planets and the sun and moon.

Sorry to unload all the personal rambles to the first poster to the thread...had to come out sooner then later I guess....each to their own....and again, I am not looking for predictions or for telling, but just neat alignments and things to observe with others. I keep my personal relations to the cosmos to myself mostly.

Some of this may sound crazy to some...but I know there are some that it does not...and I would love to be able to talk with others about the cosmos and their energies. So as always, each to their own....but this observation is a part of my journey.

Peace to all
LV

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

Thanks for the shout out! Great positive vibes...thankfulness to all things...YES! Thank You!

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
A great place to start if one hasnt observed the cosmos much would be the North. One can always find the North Star easily with the Big Dipper. The Big Dipper acts like hands to a clock...and the middle of the clock would be the North Star. The Big Dipper rotates around the North Star and one can watch this through the evening and through the seasons. During the winter, from my area, the Big Dipper is below the Horizon....but right now is a great time to watch as it moves its way around.

www.earthsky.org...

***Here’s the view northward on April evenings. Now the Big Dipper is high in the north. Notice the two outer stars in the bowl of the Big Dipper. These two stars – called Duhbe and Merak – always point to Polaris, the North Star.

Polaris is special because it always stays in the same spot in the northern sky. It’s the star around which the entire northern sky appears to turn. That’s because Polaris is located more or less above the northern axis of the Earth, and the wheeling of the stars across the dome of night is really due to Earth’s turning, after all.

Polaris is also fun to locate for another reason. It’s part of a famous — though elusive — star pattern, known as the Little Dipper. If you’ve ever looked for them, you know that the Big Dipper is usually pretty easy to find. But the Little Dipper is much tougher, partly because it’s fainter, and partly because its shape is not nearly so dipper-like as its larger counterpart.

So here it is! The Little Dipper! The North Star, Polaris, marks the end of its handle. ***

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Three cheers for Polaris!

Seriously, I'm so glad there's something and not nothing, and what a wonderful something it is.

I've heard that there could be as many or more stars in the whole universe than there are grains of sand on all the beaches and in all the deserts on the face of the Earth. That's a LOT.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Something to look for tonight at sunset and after-taken from spaceweather.com...

***On Sunday evening, the crescent Moon, Mercury and the Pleiades star cluster will gather for a three-way conjunction in the western sky. It's a must-see event.

The show begins before the sky fades to black. The Moon pops out of the twilight first, an exquisitely slender 5% crescent surrounded by cobalt blue. The horns of the crescent cradle a softly-glowing image of the full Moon. That is Earthshine—dark lunar terrain illuminated by sunlight reflected from Earth. If the show ended then and there, you'd be satisfied. ***

Look for the new crescent moon in the west with Mercury and the Pleiades!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Well I might just be having a conversation with myself in this thread....but I am still going to posts things that I am observing or things that are easily observable for others at the given time.

Ive currently been loving me some 'Vega' in the North Eastern skies...

www.earthsky.org...

* Earth & Sky Look for Vega in the northeast in springtime Discuss Print Me Email to Friend Tonight is Friday, May 01 2009 Here is the star Vega, the fifth brightest star in the sky. You’ll find this beautiful bluish star by looking northeastward in mid-evening. It’s so bright that you can notice it, even when no other stars are visible. Vega is the brightest star in the constellation Lyra the Harp. To see the shape of the entire Harp, check out this chart. Vega is a lovely star to come to know. When I was first learning the night sky, 30 years ago, I spent hours, days, weeks, months pouring over charts and books. So I sometimes came to know the names and whereabouts of certain stars before seeing them in the night sky. One soft May evening, I happened to glance toward the northeast. I was thrilled at the sight of Vega – gleaming, sapphire-blue – and surprisingly bright for being so low in the sky. Like all stars, Vega rises earlier each day as Earth moves around the sun. Vega will ornament our evening sky throughout the summer and fall. Although Vega is considered a late spring or summer star, it’s actually so far north on the sky’s dome that you can find it at some time during the night, nearly every night of the year.

Also...mabey catch a 'green flash' at sunset...

www.earthsky.org...

You can see green flashes with the eye, sometimes, if you are looking toward a very clear horizon. You must be looking just at sunset, at the last moment before the sun disappears below the horizon. And you have to be careful not to look too soon. Wait until just the thinnest rim of the sun appears above the horizon. If you look too soon, the light of the sunset will dazzle (or damage) your eyes, and you’ll miss that day’s green flash.

And Sunday is a great night to catch the moon near Saturn close to Leo...

www.earthsky.org...

You’ll find the moon in a waxing gibbous phase this evening – more than half lighted but less than full – in the sky from sunset until after midnight. Tonight’s moon will be visible near a bright object in our sky. It’s not a star, but a planet – Saturn, planet of the rings. Given clear skies, almost everyone around the world can see the moon and Saturn near each other this evening. Earth passed between Saturn and the sun on March 8 of this year. That was Saturn’s yearly opposition, and it means that we’re farther from Saturn now than we were two months ago. We’re now racing ahead of Saturn in Earth’s smaller, faster orbit around the sun. So Saturn is steadily appearing dimmer on our sky’s dome, and it’s in our sky for fewer hours of each night. There’s a bright star near the moon and Saturn, too, tonight. It’s Regulus, the brightest light in the constellation Leo the Lion. Regulus is the 21st brightest star in all the heavens. Sparkling-white Regulus is bright, but Saturn is brighter. Like all planets, Saturn will be shining with a steadier light than the twinkling stars, and it’ll be closer to the moon than Regulus tonight.

Peace to all
LV

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
A change to find Jupiter and Venus early morning tomarrow....

www.earthsky.org...

TextTomorrow morning, for example, if you look in the southeast, you’ll find the moon poised more or less between Venus and Jupiter.

Mars will enter the view the next morning with Venus and the moon

www.earthsky.org...

Over the next few mornings, the moon can guide your eye to the two worlds whose orbits lie on either side of Earth’s orbit around the sun. These two planets are Venus and Mars, and both worlds are much like Earth in many ways. Both are rocky worlds, for example, in contrast to the gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn in the outer solar system. And yet nature in its variety has created two very different planetary surfaces on Venus, Earth and Mars. It’s sometimes said that Venus is too hot, Mars too cold, but Earth just right to support human life. For more about the surfaces of Venus and Mars, see tomorrow’s chart. How can you see these planets for yourself? To see them, you’ll want to be looking in the direction of the sunrise before dawn begins to light the sky. You’ll probably want an unobstructed horizon, with no trees or buildings in the way. You’ll have no trouble seeing Venus. It’s the brightest starlike object visible in Earth’s skies. Mars will be right next to Venus in the eastern predawn sky, but it’ll be much fainter and harder to see. If the sun is coming up, and the sky is beginning to brighten, you might not be able to see Mars. The moon moves eastward, always, in orbit around Earth. In the next few mornings, the moon will be sweeping past these two planets in the predawn sky. Here’s how they’ll look on the morning of May 21.

On Sunday around the 23rd or 24th we will notice the moon being 'dark moon' or 'no moon' due to the position between the sun and Earth. The moon is very electric, I think this has an effect on us somehow.

Happy sky watching
LV

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Just want to bring to light the summer solstice that is around the corner.

Last yr on the summer solstice my mother had her NDE and I began a time line slip I do believe. I experienced some strange and amazing things last yr around this time. I feel if you sync yourself with the Universe, wisdom's may come through humble seeking.

I for one am counting down the days till June 21st and am humbling myself daily now. Last yr the summer solstice was on June 20th. After the summer solstice this yr we will have the dark moon again for a couple of days at least and I have already commented about the energies of this in earlier posts as well as other threads.

The solstices and equinoxes have become very meaningful to me. I hope others sync in with it all and foster hope for the world and mankind until the summer solstice with me. This thought could really use a thread all in itself about the energies of the SS but hopefully those that need to observe it will be lead to find this.

My best to all
LV

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
This is a great week to see Leo the Lion! You can catch the cresent moon and Saturn within Leo for a few day this week. Regulus (the heart of the Lion) is easy to spot also.

www.earthsky.org...

www.earthsky.org...

www.earthsky.org...

This is any easy one to find...hope others step out and look for it.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I am sensing alot of people thinking that something bad is going to happen around the 22nd of August...its not that I would see anything ever as 'bad' but everything bad and good help us move forward. Any which way....I am looking forward to some good dreams the next few days!!!

Dark moon will be starting today possibly and will last a couple of days. We should see a new crescent mabey on the 22nd.

What I do find very interesting is the yearly conjunction of Regulus and the Sun will be this month since the sun is in Leo...this should happen on the 23rd. It could very much be my imagination but I feel great energy from the sun passing in front of Regulus (the heart of the Lion)....course it doesnt really pass in front of it....it is only from our view that this seems to be the case.

Any ways....if anyone has any great dreams over the next few days....I would love to hear about them!! One time I just simply asked my higher self to come to me in my dreams....to my surprise, a male figure showed up to show me a scarab beetle's shell that was left empty in the middle of the Earth (the life had left it).

So no moon for a couple of days....(because it is in the line of the sun so we dont see any reflection off of the moon) and the sun conjuncting the heart of the Lion on the 23rd.

I am a Leo on sidereal zodiac and have some great friends here too that are the same as I with the Leo/Virgo thing...so the sun and Regulus is a little special to me.....

OH!!! For all you Leos out there...Saturn is working on finally leaving the Lion(Leo)....I think we will have a new found serenity when it leaves!

Peace to all
LV

new topics

top topics

join