It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Synchronisity -- an amazing power that we all have

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
nwocollapse.freehostia.com...

Known as "synchronisity", this is the process where something external to me will happen in my life in sync with something I do.

For example, I was sitting at my desk today checking the news. I had been putting off plugging in my computer headphones, because I was just in one of those moods where I had to sit in my comfy seat. The headphones were in the other room, so I really couldn't be bothered to get up. Anyway, at one point, I suddenly decided to get the headphones. Just as I did, my colleague arrived at the house. Literally, the second I got up, the car came through the driveway.

This type of synchronisity happens constantly. It's almost like there is a constant pulse going through humanity's collective mind. Once the pulse hits, everyone changes what they're doing. Another example is if I'm sitting in a room. Everyone is fixated in a certain position, as in, it's an awkward moment. Then, suddenly I have the urge to move or get up off the chair. At that exact moment, others in the room do so. Like, I'll move my arm, and someone else will reposition themselves, or say something.

There are also times where I'll synchronise with myself, if that makes sense (I doubt it). For example, I'll be on the Internet. I'll be thinking of a certain word, and as I'm browsing the 'net, that word comes up. Either in an instant message someone has sent me, or on a web page. Just a few minutes ago, my Twitter client popped up with a message about "martial law". At almost the exact same time, I happened to click on a web page about the rapper, "Marshall Mathers". So you see, many times, it's not even the same word or concept. Sometimes it's just a similar-sounding word.

Here's another example. I'm sure we've all experienced where we say the same word as someone else, at the same time. People shout "jinx" immediately after. Well, how about saying the same word about 12 times in a row? Or one time, I was on MSN messenger and played the same sound effect at least 6 times as the person I was talking to. We both sent each other the same sound effect simultaneously.

My theory on this is that as you "wake up" (as in, de-program your brain from the crap they teach you on TV and in school), you are better able to connect with other people. It is a type of global consciousness, through which we are all connected. To use a computer metaphor (as I often do when describing humans), it's like a bunch of computers connecting to a central server.. on a really, really fast connection! The more and more you wake up, the less clogged your connection is, and the more flows of consciousness you are able to "capture" using your brain. It's like data going through lines, and you can "catch" more data with a faster connection.

I've also noticed that I'm able to better achieve these synchronisities if I eat less food. And no, I don't think that has anything to do with sensory deprivation. Rather, it's because the food contains toxic waste. It slows down your brain.

I think we are all able to do this naturally, but TV, education and the food supplies (deliberately) stop us from achieving this amazing skill of ours.

Let me know what you think.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nwocollapse

I absolutely agree with your point that the more you wake up the more these things happen in your life. But you become aware of synchronicity you have to look for it until it becomes something you see naturally.

For me it is coincidences and symbolism. Once I began to notice, pay attention, the more I was able to put things together that you would not normally think mean anything. I have too many examples to mention.

For those who don't understand the difference in synchronicity and coincidence, I have posted the meanings.

wikipedia

Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events which are causally unrelated occurring together in a supposedly meaningful manner. In order to count as synchronicity, the events should be unlikely to occur together by chance.

The concept does not question, or compete with, the notion of causality. Instead, it maintains that just as events may be grouped by cause, they may also be grouped by their meaning. Since meaning is a complex mental construction, subject to conscious and subconscious influence, not every correlation in the grouping of events by meaning needs to have an explanation in terms of cause and effect.

wikipedia

Coincidence is the noteworthy alignment of two or more events or circumstances without obvious causal connection. The word is derived from the Latin co- ("in", "with", "together") and incidere ("to fall on"); in the more literal translation coincidence can be used to describe the order of events as observed but without explanation of causal connection; the recorded order of facts.

Coincidences are just the mind connecting two or more unique events; if the mind does not make the connection then there is no coincidence. (Douglas 2005)

Great to get to talk about this.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Happens almost on a daily basis for me. here is one from a thread I started last night.

me:

I was just outside having an over taxed smoke and the birds are singing their hearts out. Weird at 2 a.m.

Contributor to thread:

Oddly enough the birds started singing outside my window just as I was reading the OP.

[edit on 24 Apr 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwocollapse
It's almost like there is a constant pulse going through humanity's collective mind. Once the pulse hits, everyone changes what they're doing.

I completely agree, except instead of changing what we're doing, I'd call it some kind of novel event to our consciousness. But I agree, it ALWAYS happens.

I can't remember the number of times I've been driving at night, seeing absolutely no one else on the road for 10 minutes at a time, and then I'll come to a remote stop sign, and sure enough, there's a car I have to wait for. They must be just as surprised as I am. Or I'll finally get the resolve to do something, and someone else suddenly does something else simultaneously as if they mustered their resolve at the exact same moment and intrude upon me. It happens so often, and I've thought a lot about it, that I really believe it steps outside the borders of what would be statistically allowable before a new mechanism has to be introduced to explain it. Carl Jung introduced the term "synchronicity" almost a century ago.

I honestly do believe there's some kind of subconscious impulse that hits us collectively. I even have a thick book called "Cosmos and Psyche" that re-introduces astrology in a modern terms through Jung's theory of synchronicity, suggesting (at least to me) that the planets themselves are merely arbitrary reference points for definite patterns of human behavior that DO recur regularly throughout history. Sort of like yin and yang, an over-emphasis on something in society will eventually lead to a counter-culture to balance it. Social mentality is very much fluid and wherever we collectively neglect something, society seems to make up for it somewhere.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
As a child, I started noticing synchronicity. I would get an image from an episode of a tv show, or a song in my head, and promptly would hear or see it. I used to think I was making it happen. I then tried to concentrate and conciously make an episode or song come on. It would never work.

As I got a little older, I got into sports (mainly baseball). I would be watching a game, batter up to the plate, and I would KNOW (not think, but know) where he was going to hit it. I have "predicted" (for lack of a better word) over 100 home runs being hit in real time.

Now it seems more related to people. I just know someone is going to be somewhere, or do something, and sure enough, it happens.

Most recent example: about two months ago, I just KNEW something was wrong with my niece, who I had raised as a daughter until about 2 years prior. I started driving, not knowing where I was going.

I came up to a driveway I had never been to before, and noticed several emergency lights outside.

Sure enough, my niece had tried to commit suicide in that exact house less than half an hour before I arrived.

I'm wondering, would people classify this as synchronicity, or something else? Any insight would be great.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Hi, very interesting. The information below may help you.

What Type of Psychic are you

Knowing: Prophetics The sense of “knowing” is very fleeting, but once you get the message the awareness of the truth is deep and unwavering. Men and women high in psychic knowing function at an accelerated pace. They are excellent anticipators of problems or difficulties, and they naturally sense how to be at the right place at the right time. They are innovators with limitless creativity. Focal Point: The crown and top of head (seventh chakra). The insight comes down from the crown into the center of the head to the nerve bundle that connects the two hemispheres of the brain.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Yes, It is a latent power in humanity, a sort of psychic connection. It is increased awareness that we may have 'higher' or more sensitive powers that leads us to pay attention more. If we were never exposed to the idea that we might have a web of consciousness affecting us, we would not try to perceive it as much. But it still happens, and that is why things like it will never be able to be suppressed completely - because it is real and natural.

Just last night, after I ordered a pizza online with my credit card and went to go downstairs to meet the delivery man - I paused right before I left and looked on my desk at a pen. A thought immediately came into my head that I might as well bring the pen, just in case the guy didn't have one for me to sign with. Sure enough, the first words the dude says to me is 'Hey man, you wouldn't happen to have a pen would you?'

Recently, I have been getting a thought of a person - like wondering what they were up to. All of a sudden there will be a knock, or I'll turn a corner, or whatever situation it may be I will see or come into contact with that person. Kind of like a proximity thought, like their brain waves were picked up by mine. I think this is one of the major things in Buddhism, if I'm not mistaken...

I hope this comes close to remotely making sense to someone haha.

Good stuff.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn
reply to post by cautiouslypessimistic

Hi, very interesting. The information below may help you.

What Type of Psychic are you

Knowing: Prophetics The sense of “knowing” is very fleeting, but once you get the message the awareness of the truth is deep and unwavering. Men and women high in psychic knowing function at an accelerated pace. They are excellent anticipators of problems or difficulties, and they naturally sense how to be at the right place at the right time. They are innovators with limitless creativity. Focal Point: The crown and top of head (seventh chakra). The insight comes down from the crown into the center of the head to the nerve bundle that connects the two hemispheres of the brain.

Great info! Thank you! I know that I am an empath, and have known this for a long time. However, I dont think the "Knowing" side of things has anything to do with that (afterall, tv's, radios, etc dont have emotions, so I cant imagine empathinc ability having anything to do with it).

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by beebs
Kind of like a proximity thought, like their brain waves were picked up by mine.

Right. It's easier to tell what someone is thinking when you're actually looking at them, but I sometimes get thoughts of people out of nowhere a couple seconds before I get a call from them or see them in person. It's as if the information that the call is going to take place arrives before the actual call does, and can be picked up as a "sense" of that person being closer at mind before the sound of their voice or the sight of their person actually arrives there.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Synchronity OR just the fact that there are a huge amount of people in this little planet and STUFF HAPPENS.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redneck from Hell
STUFF HAPPENS

I don't doubt you, but is there no way you can elaborate on all the "stuff" that "happens"?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Yes! that is what I was trying(poorly) to describe. It happens to me all the time, well, at least since that day I saw the word 'Zeitgeist' scratched into the stall wall. After googling it, I have spiraled into something I have no other word for than an 'Awakening'.

I think this Buddhist teaching/belief explains this phenomenon:
Edit: wikipedia link didn't work, but it is the first result here, its called Pratītyasamutpāda or Dependent Origination:
Edit: Ahh... if the link doesn't work, here is the first description by Wikipedia:

The doctrine of pratītyasamutpāda (Sanskrit; Pali: paticcasamuppāda; Tibetan: rten.cing.'brel.bar.'byung.ba; Chinese: 緣起), often translated as "dependent arising," is a cardinal doctrine within Buddhist Philosophy.[1][2][3] Common to all schools of Buddhism, it states that phenomena arise together in a mutually interdependent web of cause and effect. It is variously rendered into English as "dependent origination", "conditioned genesis", "dependent co-arising", "interdependent arising", or "contingency".

www.indopedia.org...
www.google.com...
www.buddhanet.net...

Hopefully this will be the end of the edits.

[edit on 24-4-2009 by beebs]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by beebs

I think this Buddhist teaching/belief explains this phenomenon:

www.google.com...

That link didn't work for me. Could ya fix it?

Great thread by the way.

I am feeling the wave, too.

Edit to add, you fixed the link!

I grabbed this bit from it because I love the sound of it.

This is the understanding that any phenomenon exists only because of the existence of other phenomena in an incredibly complex web of cause and effect covering time past, time present and time future. This concept of a web is symbolized by Indra's net, a multidimensional spider's web on which lies an infinite amount of dew drops or jewels, and in these are reflected the reflections of all the other drops of dew ad infinitum.

[edit on 24-4-2009 by interestedalways]

top topics

join