It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European Net Neutrality being threatened?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
www.blackouteurope.eu...

Check this site out folks. It seems that they are threatening to outlaw net neutrality in Europe. The voting in the EU parliament according to the site is on the 5th of May '09.

The internet as we know it is at risk because of proposed new EU rules going through end of April. Under the proposed new rules, broadband providers will be legally able to limit the number of websites you can look
at, and to tell you whether or not you are allowed to use particular services. It will be dressed up as ‘new consumer options' which people can choose from. People will be offered TV-like packages - with a limited
number of options for you to access.

This is a serious issue which I hope does not pass. The freedom of information will be lost, and it will be much more difficult for regular people (in Europe) to be able to have an income off the internet as is possible now.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I have heard of things like this happening in other countries like Australia, and maybe even the US. This is going to become a huge heated debate in the next year or so and i cannot see why, other than an NWO type tactic, why anyone would want to restrict access to a service that people who are driving the consumer world are paying for

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I started a thread about this internet issue a little while ago

The Last Gasps Of Free Speech: Goodbye Internet

The sad part is that people working in the IT industry have heard about this coming for 3 or more years. It's been a nice slow step up to it, they've demonised the net, made it seem like it's full of terrorists, paedophiles and copyright thieves. I've even seen the news saying how subversive the internet is and how anyone can put anything up here even if it's not true whereas the real news is always truthful

It's been a well designed attack and it's now paying off. All i can say to my friends here in Europe is that we all need to write letters to our MEP's in Europe as well as our native countries. I don't think most people will do this though, most people don't understand the importance of net neutrality.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I`ve already started a tread in the matter some 2 weeks ago...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
It's all about control.

The internet is a threat to Rothchild and the others, it allows people to "assemble" virtually and share ideas over vast distances. The NWO cronies know that if the people wake up en mass their plans are finished. The internet is a great catalyst for waking up the people. It's not about shutting down the internet, it's about total control of the information passed along thereof via 1984 style propaganda.

If you don't think the US government is ready to restrict, regulate, censor and charge you for the trouble think again. This has already happened in China, and as other posters have noted a similar trend in Australia and now Canada/UK/EU are getting sucked into the fold.

And now Senate bills 773 and 778:

A pair of bills introduced in the U.S. Senate would grant the White House sweeping new powers to access private online data, regulate the cybersecurity industry and even shut down Internet traffic during a declared "cyber emergency."

Senate bills No. 773 and 778, introduced by Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.V., are both part of what's being called the Cybersecurity Act of 2009, which would create a new Office of the National Cybersecurity Advisor, reportable directly to the president and charged with defending the country from cyber attack.

A working draft of the legislation obtained by an Internet privacy group also spells out plans to grant the Secretary of Commerce access to all privately owned information networks deemed to be critical to the nation's infrastructure "without regard to any provision of law, regulation, rule or policy restricting such access."

SOURCE

From Section 2 of the bill:

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.
The Congress finds the following:
(1) America’s failure to protect cyberspace is
one of the most urgent national security problems
facing the country.

So what does this mean to you? Extra fees, restricted access, and any of your internet usage/ digital property rights can be accessed, monitored or seized.

But the icing on the cake, section 18:

SEC. 18. CYBERSECURITY RESPONSIBILITIES AND AUTHOR-
ITY.

The President—
(1) within 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, shall develop and implement a comprehensive national cybersecurity strategy, which
shall include—
(A) a long-term vision of the nation’s cybersecurity future; and
(B) a plan that encompasses all aspects of national security,including participation of the private sector, including critical infrastructure operators and managers;

(2) may declare a cybersecurity emergency and
order the limitation or shutdown of Internet traffic
to and from any compromised Federal government
or United States critical infrastructure information
system or network;

Hmmm . . . Participation of the private sector? Shut down of Internet traffic to and from any . . . United States critical infrastructure information
system or network?

There you have it, in black and white. It's all in the bill.

So along with other executive orders, if there is a "cyber emergency" that can also be classified as a "National Emergency" the Executive Branch can in effect take over the government and control the flow of information through the media and now the internet.

Wake up, call your representatives and senators and tell them to vote "NO" on 773/778

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
taking away or limiting the internet from us is like going back to the Dark Ages.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Deleted post...

[edit on 3-5-2009 by m4ng4n]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Nooooo no no no no! NO! Nooooooo.... bad political puppies.. VERY bad puppies..

Keep your filthy paws off of our beautiful free open internet..

Considering the height of implementation (ISP level), I don't think anyone would be able to hack around this.. Maybe we could construct very elaborate systems in which two unconnected blocks of internet share a physical line we ourselves implement, and thus enable a connection between the blocks.. but but.. no.. noooooo!

No no no no no!

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
can anyone tell me why this topic was chosen over one that was getting more attention?

cut this one down and reopen the other one please.

thank you.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Once again big brother try to stop our right to knowledge and discussion of truth, Knowledge belongs to no single entity, discussion is a private thing amongst individual thinking people.

Perhaps it's time Mr Rockafella and co got a visit from the pitch fork fire torch brigade, signs are he and his merry men are losing the battle, diddums.

However it's the things they no not about that will end this game of theirs, obviously they are watching everything people are saying, so therefore the talk goes elsewhere, and I do not see any way how this post is off topic or against any T&C.

reply to post by D.Wolf

I have to agree here, these threads are asking for peoples attention to this breach of our rights as Human beings to survive, the more attention the better, yet closing threads about the subject is doing the opposite.

Two threads on the same subject have never been a problem as long as they are different forums, that's the way it has been portrayed in the past.

This Thread was first so why not redirect to that one?

Not trying to rock any boat, just plying my opinion, IMO the other thread needs reinstating.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
This flu scare is obviously the distraction that they orchestrated to turn our attention away from the most urgent thing, to stop their destruction of the internet. The first thing this should tell you is, we're making a huge difference. People are waking up. The internet is uniting people from all over the world, from the west, from the middle east, from the far east, and everywhere inbetween. This is fundamentally the biggest advisary they have to their nwo fascist state agenda. In other words, good job everyone.
Now we need to save the net.

This thread talks about another report they're going to foist out on people, which is an entire lie in itself, about an overburdened crumbling internet by 2012: www.abovetopsecret.com...
The amount of money they charge over a billion people for this service works out to so much gain, it could solve all of earth's problems with food and core needs overnight!!! Let alone fix a few cables. Not to mention the satelites that exist in huge numbers above our heads!!! Probably much cheaper to utilize and the cables should only be back up.

stumason's post was particularly informative, as the internet exists by the combination of our computers, and we are paying for a software layer on top.
With technologies ever increasing they aren't even using all the things they currently have, and the breakthroughs are continuing by the minute. If I could have starred him 50 times I would have.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by mystiq]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Ok, I live here in Finland and we (or somebody) know this new EU "telecoms package". What we don't know is what will happen in future.

Example: phone / internet operator will stop access to Skype because there is free internet calls available.

Examble: In Finland "they" don't like we play internet poker and money goes somewhere else pockets. So they can stop us playing.

Today in local tv news they say everything will be almost same. Maybe..

""EU members reach compromise on telecoms package""

www.telecompaper.com...

The EU institutions have reached a final compromise on the telecoms reform package, the Czech EU presidency announced. The member states approved the deal with MEPs, paving the way for the legislation to go to a final vote in parliament on 6 May and receive the formal seal at the following ministerial council. According to a statement from the Czech presidency, the agreement includes plans to further harmonise policies on radio spectrum use across the EU, lay the groundwork for investments in next-generation networks, authorise the use in exceptional circumstances of functional separation of incumbent operators, set up the new Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications and enhance consumer protection in telecom services. A final sticking point in the negotiations was a proposal from some MEPs aimed at blocking certain member states' plans for restricting internet access for illegal file-sharers. According to the Czech presidency, the compromise respects the member states' legal rights while also protecting internet users in line with the convention on human rights.

[edit on 3-5-2009 by hande]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Rather than reading paranoid sites that don't appear to have done their homework, why not do some proper reading on this vote.

Firstly, if this vote passes as it stands, every EU citizen has the right that “no restriction may be imposed on the fundamental rights and freedoms of end users unless it has been authorised by the courts or there is a threat to public security". Bottom line, before you can have any access restricted, it needs to go before the courts, same as anything else.

Secondly, any vote in the EU parliament isn't neccesarily legally binding. It then has to be adopted by each member state, which even if it is, takes years of further legal rangling.

Thirdly, a lot of this bill appears to be actually protecting individual rights with regards to telecoms as a whole. The french have had their "3 strikes and your off" rule rejected, which is where if your caught downloading illegal content 3 times you will lose you service.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
What about the UK services checking up on our internet stuff?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Some really grim paranoia around here

Its much too late to control "the" internet much less restrict access to "it", unless electricity is turned off. Wondering who is more delusional...those who desire to restrict the Internet or those who are afraid its actually going to happen...

There is no such thing as "the" internet in the sense of one monopolized entity that can be restricted or controlled.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nerdychemist

Nothing new there. The Government has had the power to intercept electronic traffic since 2000, via the RIP Act, which is really just an updated version of existing electronic intercept legislation.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
There is no such thing as "the" internet in the sense of one monopolized entity that can be restricted or controlled.

Indeed. I have lost count the amount of times I've said that in the past few months alone, what with threads like this or about the "internet about to run out of bandwidth" nonsense.

There does seem to be a widespread ignorance about what the "internet" is, how it works and also about any legislation attached to it.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Ah right....

Was just confused, BT have put download limits on some services as well and where I am, we can't get the fibre optic service....just the normal broadband here in the wee NE of Scotland

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.Wolf
can anyone tell me why this topic was chosen over one that was getting more attention?

cut this one down and reopen the other one please.

thank you.

Check the OPs title and you wonder no more...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by nerdychemist

You should still be able to switch to another provider, even if you are stuck on crappy ADSL. Local loop unbundling means other providers can co-locate in BT exchanges and use the "last mile" of copper.

If you don't want a limit, switch. I did. Changed from Bt to Virgin and upped my speed from 6Mbs to 50Mbs and have unliited downloads

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join