Many of the pundits who do not like President Obama have resorted to calling him and his policies socialism. The idea is to state that any Democratic
idea is communistic and not American. There was a two-part piece on "The Daily Show" where Wyatt Cenac went to Sweden:
After seeing that program, I was thinking if the approach Europe takes to the economy is as bad as the conservatives make it out to be. Universal free
healthcare, ten week paid vacations, free education, and an inexpensive public transportation system. The top tax rate is a whopping 60%, but one can
see where the money goes.
Our banking system has failed because of massive deregulation that allowed them to merge with riskier investment firms. We have millions of people
with no form of health care coverage. Pensions and social security are at an all time low. I could go on and on with all the economic problems facing
While the capitalistic system is the one stated to be truly American, it also is one of the worst when it comes to working class people. I am not
opposed to the free market or Mom & Pop type businesses, but the global corporations are now making up all the rules. If anyone tries to equalize
anything, they are labeled socialists or communists.
Some socialist ideas the US already has in place:
1. Social Security (for the elderly)
2. Medicaid and Medicare (for the elderly and wards of the state)
3. Food Stamp programs (assistance for low income families)
4. Disability Compensation (for those unable to work)
5. Unemployment Insurance (for those out of work, usually 13 weeks long)
6. FDIC (bank accounts insured up to $250,000 each)
7. FDA, FCC, FAA and other regulatory agencies
If socialism is terrible, do the ones who advocate total capitalism oppose any or all of the above?
What the US needs:
1. Universal Free Health Care
2. Universal Free Education
3. Nationalizing of the banking system
4. Affordable Public Transportation
5. Free broadband service from the communities that want to offer it.
6. Training programs for veterans coming back and for people who have been laid off (many areas offer these, but they vary in quality and
I will have more ideas on what to offer, but for those who are opposed to any form of socialism, please add what should be done to help the needy and