It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the truth about religon

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworldYou cant prove God exists with a closed mind. He will only give you the answers when you are old enough to understand. All children are blessed.

I actually have a very open mind, thank you very much. But i refuse to blindly believe in that caricature of a God that's depicted in the bible for a creator of all multiverse. But then again, the bible is written by men, so i would expect the God to be made that way.

Originally posted by wonderworldMy answer to atheist parents is simple. The bible talks about it. He says it will automatically be instilled in all of us. That wasn’t an exact quote. We will all know, even without reading a Bible.

Babies are born atheists. They later choose to either stay atheist, or practise some form of religion when they mature enough to understand the concepts of life, death and reality. They way they define them is all due to upbringing and social conditioning. Nothing else. It has been scientificly proven.

Originally posted by wonderworldSome choose to accept it, some deny it. He gave us all free will. I have a question for those who refuse or deny.

I don't deny anything. I never believed in this, so i deny it. I am convinced in what I claim.

Originally posted by wonderworldDid something bad happen to you regarding anything that relates to the Bible, as a child or teenager to cause you to rebel. My guess is Yes.

Originally posted by wonderworldSometimes bad things happen to good people, they may die young, have a violent attach, etc.

No. It happened AFTER i started having other views on it. That only made me more sure in my decision to quit it. My parents influenced me since young age. They didn't inforce it, but still, i didn't know why i had to go to church, pray, preach, things like that. Just because some people become atheists after such an event, doesn't mean all do.

Originally posted by wonderworldThere is lots of evil in the world but most blame God for allowing it to happen. They are blaming the wrong guy!

Yes, they never point the finger at the true cause, man. But religious people always blame either satan or man. Rarely God. I think that they do blame the right guy if you think about it. There is a nice description of God in the bible, and according to that, i have to say the God that you pray to, is nothing like the one in the bible.

Originally posted by wonderworldSome get it shoved down their throats and sacred by the wrath of God. Parents like that are only pushing kids away.

Most religious parents so this. Not their fault, 9 times out of ten its teh same way they were brought up to, and the parents before them etc. Definitely not the way to raise a kid.

Originally posted by ctjctjctj
reply to post by tdrowe2008

Our universe has trillions of stars. By chance? Absolutely no way. There must be a Genius Of Design aka GOD. But God is NOT religion.

Religions were invented by governments and cohorts to divide and rule over sheeple so sheeple fight for their own so-called god and will never unite and stand up against governments and cohorts.

So just because the universe is so big and has so many stars, you rescribe that to God? What God is that? Tell me teh story about it, since its not teh same as religion, i need an explanation for this so i can understand better. As long as you believe in Gods you are also a member of the sheeple. In fact, even if you are an atheist you are still a sheeple, we all are, according to the secret governments of the world and the dark elite, but thats a story for another thread, not here.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
reply to post by chris3340

If any took about 4 minutes out of one particular day and simply asked for the Holy spirit to fill your soul you would probably be blown away. (Just a tip but you must have an open mind for it to work) It's not an emotion.

When the soul is empty other spirits can enter.

I like knowing what is occupying my soul, even when I'm out sinning, partying, getting intoxicated and doing other things.

There are no controlling rules, you either accept it or you dont. Simple.

[edit on 24-4-2009 by wonderworld]

Sinning? How do ou get rid of your sins? You go to church? Consult a priest? If there were no controling rules you would be free to do anything you want without labeling what you do as a sin. But such a thing does not exist in religion.

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
reply to post by wonderworld

You say throw the word religion out the window and that you are just about one on one with God. But then, few lines down you say your a christian, correct me if im wrong but I believe Christianity is a religion. I'm not trying to nit pick more so understand.

[edit on 24-4-2009 by stereovoyaged]

That does sound odd I guess.

It's O.K I understand.

Christianity is a belief. What I meant to say is the word religion causes so many differences of opions it's hard to keep up with them.

I'm mainly targeting all those who say Religion Controls. In a sense I can see how some come to that conclusion.

Like I said in my previous post people dont pray to Religion they pray to God.

My religion is actually Protestant. The only time I have been asked what religion I am is at the Hospital so if I croak they dont have a Catholic Priest or Rabi show up.

I wonder if I said I was Wiccan who they would call.

Well religion does inflict control. You have to follow a set of rules or you burn in hell for an eternity. And it gives a false imression that you have a freedom of choice. What kind of choice is when you are left with, enjoy in heaven or burn in hell? Its more like - no choice at all, who in their right mind would choose to burn in hell, if suc things as heaven and hell existed?

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
reply to post by The Killah29

I hope you are speaking out of ignorance and not just stupidity.

If it's ignorance, I would ask you to attempt to know what you're trying to talk about before you post some mistaken blantant bashing.

If it's stupidity, then...why?

What you've said is so off-base that it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about.

Are you going to start bashing other religions and beliefs that you don't know about? How about Taoism? It's little known in most circles so I'd bet you don't know about it also.

What he said is totally true. But since you are a religious person you find it harsh and difficult to understand, and so you find him ignoorant and stupid. I think a lot of people would think of you the same way reading that post of yours. He knows what he's talking about because im sure he had some kind of experience with this or has realzied some things that have to do with this. BTW Taoism is a spiritual phylosophy and a spiritual path, not a religion, it would be wise if you yourself get to know Taoism before you talk about it.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LyricusMagna

Animals dont possess an immortal spirit that will survive after death? The Bible assumes that man’s likeness to God and animal implies that animals may have the breath of life but not an immortal soul as we do.

God allowed us to kill and eat animals. He wouldn’t do that if they had a soul, as we know it. That would be murder.

Yes they do possess an immortal spirit like any other living being. I might be a deer in my next lifetime. Heck, you might too, i don't think that you would mind believing in immortal souls then, now would you? Yes he let us kill animals, so what? He also let the people of Moses to fight and kill Egyptians. Coincidence much? placing yourself as a supreme being on this planet is a fine evaluation enough for humankind. but to claim that your soul is unique to the universe in sense of immortality is a bit ridiculous especially for somebody who believes in spirits and immortality.

reply to post by stereovoyaged

You are generalizing 1 billion people. Congratulations. Maybe while you're on a roll, you can make generalizations regarding people from India and China. You'd have closer to 3 billion.

I wouldn't say "I'm right, you're wrong", but I will say my use of logic is just as strong as yours AND I believe in God without having scientific proof. How do you reconcile that?

He is generalizing a particular group of people, if you find that disturbing or disrespectful then you must have found yourself in this group? I think he was referring to people who misuse religion to justify their actions. And most people do claim their religion and their God is the right one, and everyone else is false. And since we use logic, logic says that in order to know that something exists you need proof of it. And you believe in God without any proof, scientific or otherwise, sorry to say but this is just a poor excuse of using logic.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Religion is a control method,to make people believe they will be saved after they die,to be used during their life for the profit of the masters of the world.

We are all free range livestock,because free range livestock are more productive,and demand a better price from the consumer.

Happy chickens,sheep,cattle........

Did I miss anything?.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
The issue of the "soul " will be coming upon us soon enough.

We will have to "re-interpret" what such a thing is,if it is.

I know such a thing exists,I think........

The more I learn,The Less I Know........

Keep an open mind.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Religion in my opinion, was created back in the day to 'make' the people more persuadable by the government and less likely to ask questions and try to figure out things by themselves. The religion in pretty much any culture basically says it has all the answers so why would they need to find the answers their God already has? They don't so they don't go looking for it. That is why religion was created in my opinion but since we live in this day and age where the gov't has gone insane with what it is doing, the religion way is dropping and people are more likely to go out and find answers themselves.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
LyricusMagma, welcome!

Religion is a construct of man.

With regard to the soul; animals, humans, plants, Earth, each have a 'spiritual' dimension. I call this the Life Force.

The Life Force has existed from the beginning. And exists in All reality, on Earth, in the galaxy, the universe, the multiverse; the All.

Collectively, humans experience this in a way that prompts us to Think. We are aware that animals and plants do not think in the way we do. They may 'argue' over territory and resources, but they do not go to war over a difference of opinion.

Each of us experiences our spiritual awareness in our own unique way. That we, individually and collectively, share our experiences of this with one another, often leads to conflict. Conflict of ideas is not a bad thing in itself. That our spiritual awareness relates not only to our physical, cerebral and emotional experiences here on Earth but also gives us access to knowledge about non physical realms, is the True duality of our existance; the dichotomy between spirit and flesh (named by the Middle Earth, monothesist religions, as good and evil), or in other, more 'scientific' terms, mind and matter.

Yes, religion is a construct of man. It is used as a control, a panacea, by those who desire to control others.

Each must choose their own path.

tdrowe2008, Welcome! I hope your path is rich with Joy!

[edit on 25/4/2009 by teapot]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
you want it put in words?They do not want to die.That's the bottom line.Since religion makes the promise of life ever lasting they grasp at it.My question is if they want it so bad why do they listen to false profits?Seems to me Jesus was about love not hate.Yet these so called christians are out there spewing venom and discontent.The only time Jesus ever got violent was with the money changers but most good christians have no problem with the federal reserve bank.In short all you need do is give lip service and your in like flynn.You have choices you can either be a christian,muslim,jew,or whatever you want.It's your decision.Me I just sit back and watch.The way I figure it I'm better off if there is a god not doing anything than I would be to claim I know him and do very little of what he tells me is right.The best I can do is try to emulate Jesus as he seems to be a very moral person.Do I believe?Not really

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

"Sinning? How do ou get rid of your sins? You go to church? Consult a priest? If there were no controling rules you would be free to do anything you want without labeling what you do as a sin. But such a thing does not exist in religion. "

So you want a world with no controlling rules? Where raping and/or murder is not a sin? Would you die knowing that you had committed sins for which you would be remembered for? I think not.

Religion provided us with a blueprint on how to lead good lives, something some people do not appreciate. Would you rather be a man aspiring to lead a life of good, or a man who does not believe that there is no sound reason in doing so? Would you devote yourself to living in peace, or let

There is a reason, that is not controlling people, that religion still exists today. That reason is the knowledge that at the end of our lives, we know that we have accomplished good. Does it matter whether you are a Christian, Muslim, Jew or Hindu? No, none of them condone violence, except if the situation requires it. Those that misunderstand these circumstances condemn that religion. We are a naturally wild species, controlling our behaviour to ensure the common good does not seem to be bad to you if it were the government, but if it was religion then you criticise that religion for doing so. Does government not punish those who commit crimes? Most religions do, yet people seem only to criticise religion.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Religion has been beaten into us for centuries, if you look back through the ages if you didnt believe, you were tortured or killed, if you questioned it, you were tortured or killed.

So people hardly had a choice and what we see in most people now is centuries of brainwashing. If religion were so true and so divine, why the need to torture and kill people in order to make them believe it?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Horus12
Religion has been beaten into us for centuries, if you look back through the ages if you didnt believe, you were tortured or killed, if you questioned it, you were tortured or killed.

So people hardly had a choice and what we see in most people now is centuries of brainwashing. If religion were so true and so divine, why the need to torture and kill people in order to make them believe it?

true if u didnt agree to religon u was probaly burned being called a wicth
we dont have a choice now because of christmas
everybody celebrates it worshippin jesus even if ur not christian
RELIGON HAS TURNED COMMERCIAL lol

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by LRADS

"So you want a world with no controlling rules? Where raping and/or murder is not a sin? Would you die knowing that you had committed sins for which you would be remembered for? I think not."

"Sin" is a construct of the priests. It was wrong to bear false witness, to covet thy neighbor's ass, to kill another person before it was ever a sin. The Ten Finger-wags were just a codification of rules that already existed, and would have existed whether or not religion stuck its nose in or not.

Saying religion makes us moral is like saying it makes our children safe from pedophiles.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
well it is a fact that religous people are less likely to sin du u agree
less likely for religous people to care about political things
because alot dont vote and without religon we would probally be on a diffrent planet by now but because we beileve as are center beilef we are the only planet with life (because of god)

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tdrowe2008
because alot dont vote and without religon we would probally be on a diffrent planet by now but because we beileve as are center beilef we are the only planet with life (because of god)

I disagree with all your points. Check the prison populations for comparative rates of theists and atheists. You will be shocked.

And the political parties pander to religious people. "I voted 'God'" bumper stick anyone?

You really don't know that much about religious people. Why is that?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
im talking about real religous people not christians that go to church on sundays im talking about religons like jehova witnesses that devote every day every minute of there life to jehova and are slaves to a invisible god

THEY DO NOT VOTE FACT JEHOVA WITNESSES DO NOT VOTE

[edit on 25-4-2009 by tdrowe2008]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Did something bad happen to you regarding anything that relates to the Bible, as a child or teenager to cause you to rebel. My guess is Yes.

I think it's pretty narrow minded of you to assume that just because someone doesn't follow or agree with the organized Judeo- Christian religions that it is because something bad must have happened to have made them lose faith.

I thoroughly disagree with the church and most organized religion as a whole and yet I personally have had no negative experiences with it. And I don't believe choosing an alternative religion, or none at all should be considered 'rebelling', it's free will and independent thinking. If someone chooses not to believe in a Christian God, it is exactly that: their choice.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

im talking about real religous people not christians that go to church on sundays im talking about religons like jehova witnesses that devote every day every minute of there life to jehova and are slaves to a invisible god

THEY DO NOT VOTE FACT JEHOVA WITNESSES DO NOT VOTE

[edit on 25-4-2009 by tdrowe2008]

JWs are just as crazy as the rest of the lot. They've learned to not knock on my door.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LyricusMagna

You fail. Taoism has multiple forms, but the majority of those forms include the worship of traditional Chinese gods, at temples and in personal shrines. A FYI.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.chebucto.ns.ca...

www.daoistcenter.org...

Are you reading through the Tao Te Ching? I am. The teachings of Christ by themselves are a philosophy on acting in life. It is the practice of those teachings as described by other men that makes it religion. The same with Taoism. I am reading to understand the philosophy, but I am not practicing the religion.

I would also suggest looking up the definitions for ignorance and stupidity.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by teapot
LyricusMagma, welcome!

Thanks! Good to be here!

Originally posted by LRADS

"Sinning? How do you get rid of your sins? You go to church? Consult a priest? If there were no controling rules you would be free to do anything you want without labeling what you do as a sin. But such a thing does not exist in religion. "

1- So you want a world with no controlling rules? Where raping and/or murder is not a sin? Would you die knowing that you had committed sins for which you would be remembered for? I think not.

Religion provided us with a blueprint on how to lead good lives, something some people do not appreciate. Would you rather be a man aspiring to lead a life of good, or a man who does not believe that there is no sound reason in doing so? Would you devote yourself to living in peace, or let

2- There is a reason, that is not controlling people, that religion still exists today. That reason is the knowledge that at the end of our lives, we know that we have accomplished good. Does it matter whether you are a Christian, Muslim, Jew or Hindu? No, none of them condone violence, except if the situation requires it. Those that misunderstand these circumstances condemn that religion. We are a naturally wild species, controlling our behaviour to ensure the common good does not seem to be bad to you if it were the government, but if it was religion then you criticise that religion for doing so. Does government not punish those who commit crimes? Most religions do, yet people seem only to criticise religion.

1- You don't get it do you? I myself, am free of the controling rules of religion, but have i raped/killed anyone? NO. That's my point. You don't need religion, OR rules, to set yourself basic morals and ethical behavior. But i guess you are not like me, and you need a religion to teach you that...

2- I don't like the Government anymore then religion, just so you know that. You say does it matter if I am a Christian, Muslim, or Hindu? That none of them condone violence. Where is atheist here? Does that mean that atheists can't regress violent behavior? That they don't know about morality? Why do i need religion if i already know that? I don't. Im fine the way i am, so are other people.

Originally posted by Gawdzilla

I disagree with all your points. Check the prison populations for comparative rates of theists and atheists. You will be shocked.

And the political parties pander to religious people. "I voted 'God'" bumper stick anyone?

You really don't know that much about religious people. Why is that?

Yes, i was shocked indeed. 80% declred themselves religious. 18% somewhere in between, only 2 % are atheists. Shock indeed. And please don't mix politics with religion. And i do know a lot about religious people, i live in a neighbourhood filled with them.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

reply to post by LyricusMagna

1- You fail. Taoism has multiple forms, but the majority of those forms include the worship of traditional Chinese gods, at temples and in personal shrines. A FYI.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.chebucto.ns.ca...

www.daoistcenter.org...

Are you reading through the Tao Te Ching? I am. The teachings of Christ by themselves are a philosophy on acting in life. It is the practice of those teachings as described by other men that makes it religion. The same with Taoism. I am reading to understand the philosophy, but I am not practicing the religion.

2- I would also suggest looking up the definitions for ignorance and stupidity.

1- First of all, there is a HUGE difference in Taoism and Christianity, and there is a difference in what type of Taoism i was referring to. The Philosophical Taoism by Dao De Jing which teaches life philiosophy and spirituality, NOT religion. For you, all i can say is, EPIC FAIL.

2- Playing smartass are we? there is no GOD figure in this Taoism philiosphy, only spirituality, and i would suggest when you are already looking up Taoism, look up a bit deeper in future. And spare me your silly little insults too.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by LyricusMagna]

[edit on 28-4-2009 by LyricusMagna]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join