It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton Counters Israeli Stance on Palestinians and Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Clinton Counters Israeli Stance on Palestinians and Iran

www.washingtonpost.com

Progress on establishing a Palestinian state must go "hand-in-hand" with efforts to stem Iranian influence in the Middle East, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said yesterday, implicitly rejecting the emerging position of the new Israeli government.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Aides to Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said this week that the Israeli government will not move ahead on the core issues of peace talks with the Palestinians until it sees progress in U.S. efforts to stop Iran's suspected pursuit of a nuclear weapon and limit Tehran's rising influence in the region. Netanyahu, who is skeptical of efforts to create a Palestinian state, plans to visit Washington next month; aides said he was preparing to outline his emerging policy to President Obama.

Clinton noted that every Arab official she has met with "wants very much to support the strongest possible policy toward Iran." But, she said, "they believe that Israel's willingness to reenter into discussions with the Palestinian Authority strengthens them in being able to deal with Iran."

She said the Obama administration was seeking to coordinate the Arab and Israeli positions so the unusual dynamic of unity on Iran could be exploited. "We have to sort of get everybody together in one place, which hasn't yet happened, to figure out how that can proceed," she said.

Clinton indicated that if a unity government is formed, the administration would be willing to deal with that government, even if it contained Hamas ministers, as long as the government agreed to those conditions, much as the United States currently deals with the elected Lebanese government in which the militant group Hezbollah controls 11 out of 30 cabinet seats.

The AIPAC machine must be running non-stop. The Israeli government obviously doesn't like losing its unique position in the world that allows them to be above the law. They are now trying to blackmail the US: bomb Iran or we will not continue peace talks.

We'll see whether America is able to withstand Israeli lobby pressure.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
AIPAC or not - i do not see Israel stalling the talks a lot longer. US declared that two countries for two nations principle is US national interest. This pretty much sums it up.
From what i read between the lines, Israeli leaderships says - first lets deal with Iran and we will go with the process afterward. And US is saying - go on with the process already, and we will see then how it all develops.
So i have no doubt that US will handle Israeli pressure. Not only that, it will actually pretty soon pressure Israel into continuing where previous government stopped.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
AIPAC or not - i do not see Israel stalling the talks a lot longer. US declared that two countries for two nations principle is US national interest. This pretty much sums it up.
From what i read between the lines, Israeli leaderships says - first lets deal with Iran and we will go with the process afterward. And US is saying - go on with the process already, and we will see then how it all develops.
So i have no doubt that US will handle Israeli pressure. Not only that, it will actually pretty soon pressure Israel into continuing where previous government stopped.

Why wouldn't it be in Israel's interest? I understand the country is afraid of getting a hostile neighbor that could freely import military equipment to endanger Israel, but if that would happen - and they would actually attack Israel, Israel would hit back hard. I, for one, would then support Israel and I guess pretty much the entire West.

Moreover, I estimate the change bigger that such a free Palestinian state would cause hostilities to decrease, rather than to increase or stay at a same level. I think most of the Palestinians understand they will never get the land, they believe is theirs, back, and most don't even want it.. living in peace is what most want, but not in a bird cage.

[edit on 24-4-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Why wouldn't it be in Israel's interest?

As you stated , Israel would loose a lot. But it would loose a lot by not going with it too. So , especially considering who is foreign minister of Israel and the rest of coalition in general, Netanyahu is simply stalling. In my opinion.
Otherwise his demand for Palestinian agreement to Israel as Jewish state -which they would never agree to - is very weird.
As for distant future - i see no real peace (like with Jordan or Egypt) since no final agreement can be reached upon ,due to refugees issue. And extremists would use it to stirr things up in Palestine. Of course, there are extremists in Israel too....
So peace is hope for future generation . Right now the issue is reaching sort of co-existance, preferably non-violent. And Israeli government , as represented right now , cannot do what is needed even for that. I have my doubts about Palestinian representaives too, but i am more familiar with Israeli politics. Anyway, this is budget time. US gives Israel economical aid (which is not something Israel cannot do without being several percents of total budget, but huge sum nether the less) and thus can force desicions on Israel. So i expect coalition troubles very soon, and maybe this is what Netanyahu waits for.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Lieberman promotes 2-state solution

Egyptian paper reports meeting between Foreign Minister, Intelligence Chief Suleiman; Egyptian sources say Lieberman was "incredibly moderate"

Israel's controversial foreign minister, Avigdor Lieberman, openly promoted the concept of two states for two people, London-based Egyptian newspaper al-Hayat reported on Saturday.

According to the paper, Lieberman was "incredibly moderate" during a meeting with Omar Suleiman, Egypt's Intelligence Chief. Suleiman visited Israel last week, meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Shimon Peres.

His meeting with Lieberman was kept secret in order to avoid making waves following requests from Egyptians that the foreign minister issue a formal apology for statements made about Egypt's government in the past.

Al-Hayat reported that the meeting was "successful and met its objectives." In this context, the newspaper reported that the Netanyahu government is set deepening ties with Egypt as one of its top priorities, with one source saying that Netanyahu would visit Egypt after his return from Washington.

The paper quoted the source as saying that "Lieberman was a incredibly moderate and spoke with Suleiman about the peace process and negotiations. He presented the two-state solution as a means to promote security, stability and peace in the region.

Additionally, he emphasized the importance of economic development in the West Bank and Gaza," the source said. source: YNET

Although I remain skeptical towards this, it's at least remarkable that this right-wing extremist in all of the sudden has become more moderate than he's ever been before. For those who don't know why Egypt wants an apology, it is because Lieberman said Israel should bomb the Aswan Dam.

Zeroknowledge, what could be the motives behind this sudden change? I cannot imagine that US pressure on Israel is the reason for this. Especially, because Lieberman recently said that Israel would only start peace-talks when they feel they should, no matter what America wants.

Could it be that the US promised a tougher stance on Iran in exchange for Israel starting to actively start working on a two-state solution?

[edit on 25-4-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
the isreali goverment appear to be acting more like terrorists than a nation that wants peace.
and i don't think america deals with terrorists. but then some have two faces.
isreal is just nucking futs. shooting her. bombing him. shelling them and now blackmailing you.

i'm sure you isreali suupporters will turn around and say oh but they shoot rockets. why don't i ever see reports of these apparent rocket barrages hitting isreali innocents in the news?

new topics

top topics

join