It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 81
<< 78  79  80    82  83  84 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
@ BTS: Hmmm is right...and it's not for us "commoners"

Swine flu: the worst is yet to come in autumn, warns Alan Johnson
www.telegraph.co.uk...
Doctors are being warned to prepare for a second, "much worse" wave of swine flu hitting Britain in the autumn, the Health Secretary has disclosed.
Last Updated: 8:25PM BST 03 May 2009

Alan Johnson said that the lesson of past pandemics was that initially mild outbreaks had been followed by something "much more serious".

His comments came as the number of confirmed cases of swine flu in Britain rose to 18, including two children, with as many as 716 possible patients now being tested.
More at Links...

Swine flu: How afraid should we be?
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Health authorities the world over are warning of a swine-flu 'Armageddon’. It could be that they are simply trying to avoid accusations of underplaying the risks. On the other hand, says Mark Honigsbaum, it may be that the worst is to come later this year.

[edit on 5/3/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
@ Hx3_1963...that's right...only WHO knows!

I have seen a lot of discussion on the testing for this novel flu...and questions about why some are tested, some are not.

This is an interesting informational bulletin by the CDC about testing...
published May 03, 2009.

I think it is worth a read by everyone!

Confirmation of novel H1N1 flu infection can only be made by reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) or viral culture......
......Given these limitations, the decision of whether or not to test patients with rapid influenza diagnostic tests should be based upon the patient’s presenting symptoms, whether or not cases of novel H1N1 have been confirmed in the area, and/or the patient’s risk for severe disease or other complications.

www.cdc.gov...

[edit on 3-5-2009 by burntheships]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Logical...to a fault...no sense wasting time/resources on borderline cases...concentrate on more probable cases to watch for mutations down the line...

test British Columbia: Seven New Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed; National Confirmed Case Count Rises to 97 : Date: May 03,..2 minutes ago from twitterfeed

test Sarpy County: First Confirmed Case of Influenza A (H1N1) in Nebraska Resident; Total of Three Confirmed Cases Identified in Stat..3 minutes ago from twitterfeed

test Hillsdale: One Probable Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Attributed to Ottawa County; Current Case Count is Zero: Date: May 03, 20..3 minutes ago from twitterfeed

test Allegan County: 17 New Probable Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Detected Statewide; One Case Identified in Allegan County: Date:..3 minutes ago from twitterfeed

test Switzerland: Federal Office of Public Health Investigating 27 Suspected Cases of Influenza A (H1N1): Date: May 03, 2009 19:5..3 minutes ago from twitterfeed

4th Dental Student 'Probable' H1N1 Case: Health officials said Sunday that a fourth Boston dental student has be.. /clynge2 minutes ago from twitterfeed

US, Nebraska: Sarpy County: First Confirmed Case of Influenza A (H1N1) in a Nebraska Resident #swineflu #H1N16 minutes ago from web

Canada, British Columbia: Seven New Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed; National Confirmed Case Count Rises to 97 #swineflu7 minutes ago from web

Can Swine Flu Be Blamed on Industrial Farming?
www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Canada, Quebec: One New Confirmed Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Reported; National Confirmed Case Count Reaches 98 #swineflu #H1N1half a minute ago from web

Canada, Manitoba: One Confirmed Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Reported #swineflu #H1N12 minutes ago from web

US, North Carolina: Onslow County: CDC Confirms State’s First Case of Influenza A (H1N1) #swineflu #H1N13 minutes ago from web

First H1N1 Case Confirmed In North Carolina
Onslow County Resident Exposed To Illness In Texas
www.wxii12.com...

Illinois swine flu cases increase to 99
www.suntimes.com...

H1N1 Swinefluenza Novel A Flu and Economic Genocide
www.neurope.eu...

DEVELOPING: H1N1 'swine flu' suspected in West Valley Middle School student
www.volunteertv.com...

Governor Rendell Announces Pennsylvania's First Confirmed Case of 2009 A/H1N1 Flu
prnewswire.com

Seven H1N1 flu cases confirmed in south Louisiana
www.shreveporttimes.com...

CDC Confirms Initial Case of Novel H1N1 Virus in TN
www.wztv.com...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Here are some demographics from the Mexico cases. I'm sure these numbers will fluxuate, but the age group most affected seems the same as we are seeing here in the US.

The data is based on valid results from 1,280 samples.

Here is the latest information provided by the Mexican health ministry:

AGE PERCENT OF CASES (506 CONFIRMED)

0-9 24.1

10-19 23.7

20-29 19.4

30-39 13.6

40-49 10.1

50-59 6.7

60+ 1.8

unknown 0.6

LOCATION DEATHS

Mexico City 11

State of Mexico 2

Oaxaca 1

Tlaxcala 1

Profile of Mexicans infected with H1N1

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
@ Cameoii: I'm thinking it attacks younger people because either less developed immune system *or* higher immune system response...Hmmm...either not good

Health officials are about to provide the latest on the H1N1 flu in Oregon. Watch news conference live: is.gd... minutes ago from twhirl

Medical detectives probe flu virus spread in NYC
sfgate.com

Edit: Great...I just thought of this...

I have a "busy body" room-mate who runs around all day "helping" people run to and fro...

A lot of good it does me to "hunker down"...she'll just get it from one of them and give it to me

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I'm thinking that the higher rate in children is due to the fact that they are constantly in a more social environment than most adults. We go to work, but most of us have an office or at least a cubicle. Schools confine 20+ children in one room for hours at a time. They eat together, go to the restroom in groups, and then when school is out they want to stay together and play. Add to all of that the fact that most children have poor personal hygiene habits. It seems like there is a far greater risk to that age group to spread a communicable disease.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
jerrygonzalez: Miami Herald:2 Doral (Miami area) schools ordered closed on Sunday after 3 new suspected cases of H1N1 (swine) flu were detected. #swineflu
half a minute ago from TwitterBerry

H1N1 Virus Swine Flu Cases US And Worldwide On The Rise
h1n1news.com...
h1n1news.com...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cameoii

I'm thinking that the higher rate in children is due to the fact that they are constantly in a more social environment than most adults. We go to work, but most of us have an office or at least a cubicle. Schools confine 20+ children in one room for hours at a time. They eat together, go to the restroom in groups, and then when school is out they want to stay together and play. Add to all of that the fact that most children have poor personal hygiene habits. It seems like there is a far greater risk to that age group to spread a communicable disease.

Have you SEEN what children do? The lick things. Like their shoes. They pick up stuff that another child just put in their mouth, then put their hands in their mouths. They think that eating snot is funny.

Why children are more likely to get these things isn't hard to figure out!

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Tracking the progress of H1N1 swine flu *newest version---better*
flutracker.rhizalabs.com...

InfoViewer: In Wake of 2009-H1N1 Influenza, H5N1 Influenza Threats Remain a Major Concern
m.acep.org...

H1N1 flu update: There are now 3 confirmed cases and 19 probable cases in Oregon. News conference live: is.gd... minutes ago from twhirl

KQED_CapNotes: CA prison health receiver reports first possible case of H1N1 flu @ Centinela State Prison in Imperial County.
less than 20 seconds ago from TinyTwitter

South Shore man confirmed as Quebec's third case of H1N1 flu
www.montrealgazette.com...

No swine flu in Delhi, Mumbai gets first suspect
www.hindustantimes.com... Mumbai+gets+first+suspect

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I found a research article that very interesting. It seems that in past pandemics (1918), the ones infected in the "first wave" were less likely to be infected or die in the second, more deadly outbreak. Maybe the isolations and school closings are doing more harm than good. If I had the choice, I would rather be exposed now while the mortality rate seems to be low.

For people who were infected in the first wave, the risk of illness in the second wave was reduced by between 35 percent to 94 percent, about the same protection as for modern vaccines — 70 percent to 90 percent. The risk of death was reduced between 56 percent to 89 percent.

NIH News

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Recommended Reading, this doctor answers the most often asked questions regarding this virus.

Ask Dr. Marie: Five FAQs About H1N1 Flu

abcnews.go.com...

I can't turn on the television or radio or pick up a newspaper without hearing about the new flu strain. Note: I am personally calling it the "new flu strain" rather than the "swine flu." And, I confess, although I am not overly alarmed by what we know so far, my public health training has me concerned and intrigued by this story, too.

It is a 3 page report, click the link above and read it, if you have time.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Teenage girl with H1N1 flu required treatment in intensive care unit, but appears to be on road to recovery. is.gd... minutes ago from twhirl

test DeKalb County: First Probable Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Identified in County: Date: May 03, 2009 20:44 UTC Risk: Low Two st..3 minutes ago from twitterfeed

test Montgomery County: First Confirmed Case of Influenza A (H1N1) in Pennsylvania; 31-Year-Old Male Affected: Date: May 03, 2009..3 minutes ago from twitterfeed

test Onslow County: CDC Confirms State’s First Case of Influenza A (H1N1): Date: May 03, 2009 20:37 UTC Risk: Low Several local m..3 minutes ago from twitterfeed

test Auvergne: One Probable Case Of Influenza A (H1N1) Reported: Date: May 03, 2009 20:28 UTC Risk: Medium The Swiss source, Roma..3 minutes ago from twitterfeed

test Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur (PACA): One Probable Case Of Influenza A (H1N1) Reported: Date: May 03, 2009 20:28 UTC Risk: Medi..3 minutes ago from twitterfeed

Hmmm...

(per RogerT)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

City of Milwaukee Health Department
www.milwaukee.gov...

Maps of the Swine Flu Outbreak - Updated
googlemapsmania.blogspot.com...

2 New Cases of H1N1 in Ohio, 'Probable' Case in Portage County - Cleveland News - Fox 8
www.akiranews.com...

DHEC: 16 Confirmed Cases Of H1N1 Virus In South Carolina2 minutes ago from twitterfeed

Swine flu first seen in San Diego boy
www.upi.com...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
17 new probable cases of swine flu; schools to close in Utica, Plymouth-Canton
www.detnews.com...

CDCemergency on Twitter
twitter.com...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Hey i see you're hard at work today

I like those links to ecoparity's posts, some good thoughts there. Also like the article about the Michigan growing zone.

We're still at three confirmed cases here in Illinois, but up to 99 suspected cases. Schools closed listed at 16, however i read one report that says as many as 32, but i can't find any confirmation on that yet.

www.suntimes.com...

"Scientists warn that the virus could mutate into a deadlier form."That statement is from this article.news.yahoo.com...

"Doctors and officials want residents to be selective in asking for flu tests and using antivirals"

www.chicagotribune.com...

Scots are being warned not to use Star Anise (a key ingredient in Tamiflu) to battle the flu, "it may make fever worse".

news.scotsman.com...

I think that's it for me today my granddaughter started feeling sick in the middle of the night sore throat, stuffy nose, and slight fever, so i'll be taking care of her all day.

Have a good one, and everybody take care

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Star 4 U !

Stay safe!

School Cancels Week Of Classes Amid Flu Fears: Classes at a private Tyngsborough school were called off for the .. /cb9qzb3 minutes ago from twitterfeed

UPDATE: 3 schools closed, 5 ''probable'' H1N1 flu cases in Hillsborough
www.wtsp.com...

Inmate Diagnosed With Probable H1N1 Virus
CDCR Cancels Visits To Prisons
www.kcra.com...

16 cases of H1N1 Virus in South Carolina. 15 in Newberry & 1 in Laurens, all linked to Newberry cluster.4 minutes ago from web

Canada, Nova Scotia: Two New Confirmed Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Identified; National Confirmed Case Count Reaches 101.#swineflu #H1N125 minutes ago from web

Petealcala: Just got off work finally seeing daylight. My drug dept is looking better. Totally out of sanitizer due 2 the swine flu scare.
half a minute ago from TwitterFon

terranicole75: @heather_mae_day what??? you have 102 fever? hope it's not swine flu ... seriously
half a minute ago from web

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Have you SEEN what children do? The lick things. Like their shoes....... They think that eating snot is funny.

Why children are more likely to get these things isn't hard to figure out!

OMG i'm sorry, but your post had me laughing sooo hard, because it's true, Thanks !

And you're right this is why kids get sick more than us. It's not because they have weaker immune systems, it's because they do things like that.

Edit to remove you tube link, because i obviously don't how to link it correctly

[edit on 5/3/2009 by chise61]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
test Skagit County: One Probable Case of Influenza A (H1N1); 25 Total in Washington: Date: May 03, 2009 21:04 UTC Risk: Medium Lo..5 minutes ago from twitterfeed

test Lafayette: CDC Confirms Five Cases of Influenza A (H1N1): Date: May 03, 2009 20:57 UTC Risk: Medium Two Louisiana media sour..5 minutes ago from twitterfeed

test Oneida County: Three Suspected Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Are Dismissed; Results Still Pending on Fourth Case: Date: May 03..5 minutes ago from twitterfeed

test Nova Scotia: Two New Confirmed Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Identified; National Case Count Reaches 101: Date: May 03, 2009 2..5 minutes ago from twitterfeed

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Star 4 U !

Just fer trying

I don't know what you had in mind with that post, but, here's my take on how kids will spread it...

And speaking of

www.picturesforsadchildren.com...
(per BiohazardsBack)

(per mopusvindictus)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

elame: Dear H1N1, The swine called. They want their flu back.
less than 20 seconds ago from web

Back on track now... :|

New Zealand authorities maintain guard on flu
tvnz.co.nz...

Live Web-Cams across Mexico
www.telmex.com...
(per operation mindcrime)

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
simons635: @SaraJKnight 3 May 2009, 18 countries have officially reported 898 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.Mexico has 506 cases
half a minute ago from web

Confirmed cases of H1N1 virus approach 900
edition.cnn.com...

Texas: Total of 43 Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed in Twelve Counties Statewide. #swineflu #H1N13 minutes ago from web

Los Angeles County: Two New Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed; Three Total Confirmed Cases in County. #swineflu #H1N1half a minute ago from web

US, Louisiana: CDC Confirms One Case of Influenza A (H1N1) in Ascension Parish. #swineflu #H1N111 minutes ago from web

US, Louisiana: CDC Confirms Five Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) in Lafayette Parish. #swineflu #H1N112 minutes ago from web

test Ascension Parish: CDC Confirms One Case of Influenza A (H1N1): Date: May 03, 2009 21:09 UTC Risk: Medium Two Louisiana media..3 minutes ago from twitterfeed

test Pierce County: One Probable Case of Influenza A (H1N1); 25 Total in Washington: Date: May 03, 2009 21:07 UTC Risk: Medium Lo..3 minutes ago from twitterfeed

US, New York, Oneida County: Three Suspected Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Are Dismissed; Results Still Pending on Fourth Case.#swineflu #H1N13 minutes ago from web

Pigs Mysteriously Die In South American Farm
www.liveleak.com...
(per JBA2848)

top topics

<< 78  79  80    82  83  84 >>

join