It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious U.S. Swine Flu Probe Widens as Mexico Finds Swine Flu *updated*

page: 75
<< 72  73  74    76  77  78 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

US, Massachusetts: CDC Confirms Two Additional Influenza A (H1N1) Cases; Eight Total Statewide #swineflu #H1N13 minutes ago from web
------------------------------------------------------------------
There's "supposed" to be checks and balances, at least originally, when the Bill of Rights was written...seems "small" things like this can be over-looked in a time of crisis...

With the GOP blamed for a lot of this and Obomba claiming, "I inherited this mess", the divide and conquer squabbling is yet another distraction, as is the NAU Flu now...

Hmmm... *....spinning...hard...to see...the truth now...* (think Captain Kirk
)

[edit on 5/2/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Morning all! Hx3_1963 see you were up late! Still catching up on all of your updates, and insights!

Stars 4 You!

Found this digging this a.m. - Following the article I posted about
Northcom- A Northcom Bulletin recently produced. It is Unclassified...and in PDF Form.

It is safe, I have opened it .

fhp.osd.mil...

Also on a lighter note - Get your CDC & HHS Widgets here!

www.cdc.gov...

Tax dollars hard at work for us slaves!

And lastly for this post -

A Report that says Conspiracy Minded Truck Drivers are reporting in numbers that they see FEMA Trailers Headed toward Big Cities. www.stevequayle.com... This is ATS ok...

I report, You decide. I am not sure...so just thought I would put it out there!

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Star 4 U !

Good Morning!

Another 4 Hr Re-Gen...
...Hmmm wonder if this is due to the sleep disturbances reported with the Galactic Magnetic Alignment?

WHO official says there is no evidence of sustained community spread of swine flu outside North America; pandemic alert remains at level 5.39 minutes ago from web

WTF?!?

Germany: Second Confirmed Domestic Human-To-Human Transmission Case in the Country #swineflu #H1N14 minutes ago from web

*Now that makes Germany...Spain...UK...Mexico...US...Nova Scotia as H2H Transmission? Level 6 near?*

First case of UK human to human swine flu
thescotsman.scotsman.com...

~

Human-to-human transmission of swine flu has been confirmed in the United States, Canada, Spain and Germany.
More at Link...

‘I’ve never experienced anything like it’: England’s first victim to contract swine flu from another human speaks of his ordeal
dailymail.co.uk

CDC Reports & Publications
www.cdc.gov...

Hmmm...

The Mexican government stopped reporting suspected cases and deaths on April 30, 2009.
en.wikipedia.org...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
And concerning the MSM "Distractions"...

WHO says existing vaccine little use against new flu
www.reuters.com...

Trial by fire: New antibody method gets big test
www.reuters.com...

New flu virus may be a real mongrel: study
www.reuters.com...

WHO says HIV patients at higher risk from flu
www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Just my opinion here, but I don't think this thing is either fading or being overhyped. I think that the governments and media were alarmed at the spread of fear and panic and have started trying to downplay the seriousness of this virus. From the earliest reports I have felt that the numbers were drasically under reported for several reasons: No early checking of persons without travel to Mexico, no tracing back illnesses/fatalities that may have occurred before the breaking news, confusion over actual COD being secondary infections, and the vast number of people that have not sought medical attention but are still infected.

I do not want to make this any scarier than it already is, but I think it's foolish to think we can rely on the number of confirmed cases to give us any real insight into the virulence of this strain.

This article is a few days old, but it puts things in perspective for me:

“How life-threatening are the infections?” someone asked.

“We don’t know the answer,” Atmar replied. The Mexican statistics were unreliable. And so far, in the U.S., there were too few cases to draw any firm conclusion.

He noted that of 91 confirmed cases Thursday, there had been one death — meaning so far in the U.S., the virus had killed more than 1 percent of the people it was known to infect.

To a layman, that seems a small number. But to Atmar, 1 percent is alarming. The 1957 and 1968 pandemics killed an estimated 0.1 percent of the people they infected. The 1918 one — the scariest one of all — killed somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 percent.

“If it’s 1 percent,” Atmar said, “that’s potentially 1918. But it’s too soon to tell.”

On Friday, after what I took to be a day of comforting flu news, I called to see if Atmar had relaxed any.

He hadn’t. He cautioned me not to write off this flu: “It’s too early to call.” He noted that the numbers of people infected were still rising, and that the public labs are overwhelmed.

Dr. Robert Atmar - Houston Chronicle

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Two NRIs in Delhi hospital with swine flu symptoms
www.ndtv.com...
----------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmm...

Originally posted by infinite
www.abovetopsecret.com...

All our outlets for covering this store are being muted. Veratect, as I just posted, will only report confirmed US cases

Nothing from Europe, Asia/Pacific, Latin America or Africa.

Canadian doctor in the hot zone
www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com...
(per JanusFIN)

A Canadian doctor living at the heart of the influenza outbreak in Mexico has been working 14-hour days treating nervous patients, two of whom tested positive for the H1N1 flu.

For the past two weeks, Dr. Michael Haney, 34, of Montreal has been working alongside his doctor-wife at a private clinic in Mexico City from 7 a. m. to 9 p. m., mostly reassuring frightened parents with sniffling kids they'll be fine, he said.

"We're seeing a lot of children come into the office but it's just a little cold," Haney told Sun Media by phone from Mexico City. "People are scared more than anything else."

Among the hundreds of patients he's seen, Haney has treated two young males for the H1N1 flu: One a 16-year-old who exhibited mild symptoms, and the other a 24-year-old man who was a more serious case with a runny nose, heavy chest pains and trouble breathing.

"But we caught them in time and they're recovering now," he said.

Haney has his own theory on why the flu is striking young, healthy adults: The classic sense of adolescent invincibility.

"These young men tend to rebel and don't wear face masks, you see it all the time by the metro over here," he said. "They just continue about their lives, hanging out with friends. It's more rebellious neglect, as if nothing can touch them."

Likewise, Haney and his colleagues are seeing more families from the outskirts of the city, he said, who had previously been treating themselves with their "grandmother's medicine" or homemade plant and herbal remedies.

Meanwhile, people scrambling to find masks and hand sanitizers. At the clinic, he's safeguarded the only two masks that are left -- one for himself and one for his wife.

"We've called all our suppliers and they're completely sold out."

A wild rumour circulating in the city is also prompting people to snatch up eye goggles in the misguided belief that eye gear will protect them, he said.

"People are calm but they're just trying to get their hands on whatever they can ...But if it makes people feel better, it will help them get through their day."

While the rest of the world seems to be whipped up in a frenzy, Haney said the panic in has started to subside.

"We've started to quiet down. You can see that people are more calm and relaxed."

For example, despite the flu outbreak, the resort town and weekend destination for Mexico City locals, Acapulco, is booked solid, he said.

But Haney won't be partaking in any off-time revelry, even though it's his birthday today.

He'll be working all day at the clinic before joining his four-year-old son who is staying with his in-laws while both parents work exhausting shifts.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Arizona 4
California 24
Colorado 2
Connecticut 1
Delaware 4
Florida 2
Illinois 3
Indiana 3
Kansas 2
Kentucky* 1
Massachusetts 8
Michigan 2
Minnesota 1
Missouri 1
Nevada 1
New Jersey 7
New York 50
Ohio 1
South Carolina 13
Texas 28
Virginia 2

160 cases

From the CDC's 11:00 update.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

WHO still believes flu pandemic is imminent
www.reuters.com...

GENEVA, May 2 (Reuters) - There has not yet been a sustained spread of H1N1 flu outside North America but a pandemic is still "imminent", a World Health Organisation official said on Saturday.

Michael Ryan, WHO Director of Global Alert and Response, said it remained probable that the alert level would be raised from its current level of 5 to the top of the 6-stage scale.

"We have no evidence of sustained community spread outside of North America," he told a news briefing at the U.N. agency's Geneva .quarters. "We are still at Phase 5.

"At the present time I would still propose that a pandemic is imminent, because we are seeing the disease spread," Ryan said. "At this point we have to expect that phase 6 will be reached, we have to hope that it is not reached."
More at Link...

The Iowa Dept. of Public Health confirms it has confirmed its 1st case of swine flu, prompting the Gov. to declare a public health disaster.3 minutes ago from web
(I believe this is the 7th or 8th now...
)

US, Ohio: Ohio University student identified as probable influenza A (H1N1) case. Relatives are suspected source of infection. #swineflu6 minutes ago from web

Israel, Jerusalem: 33-Year-Old Female And Her Eight-Month-Old Son Hospitalized After Flight From New York; Influenza A (H1N1) Suspected24 minutes ago from web

More Than 400 U.S. Schools Closed; 140 Flu Cases
newsmax.com

Canadian swine flu cases rise to 51
www.montrealgazette.com...

(per aramaki)

Minais Gerais just declared state of emergency, news is reporting. I think this is the first state in Brazil to declare state of emergency. They are announcing that they will buy 6 million masks. No cases confirmed yet, a few suspects only

And yet another NAU Flu Map...
healthmap.org...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Hospitals swamped amid flu fears
www.latimes.com...

Reporting from Washington -- On Long Island, N.Y., hospitals are scrambling to bring extra workers in to handle a 50% surge in visitors to emergency rooms. In Galveston, Texas, the local hospital ran out of flu testing kits after being overwhelmed with patients worried about having contracted swine flu.

At Loma Linda University Medical Center near San Bernardino, emergency room workers have set up a tent in the parking lot to handle a crush of similar patients. In Chicago, ER visits at the city's biggest children's hospital are double normal levels, setting records at the 121-year-old institution.

So far, few of the anxious patients have had more than runny noses. But the widening outbreak of swine flu, also known as H1N1 flu, is exposing a potentially critical hole in the nation's defenses.

Across the country, emergency care facilities are straining at the seams even though the outbreak is relatively small and the federal government has launched a mammoth disease-control effort -- dispatching antiviral drugs to states, attempting to contain the limited number of cases and beginning to develop a vaccine against it.
More at Link...

The "old" WHO chart
www.longwood.edu...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Thank YOU BBC!!!

"There is no evidence of the swine flu virus spreading in a sustained way outside North America, a top World Health Organization official says.

Dr Michael Ryan, WHO Director of Global Alert and Response, praised European nations' handling of cases and said events did not seem out of control."

FINALLY someone has the cajones to speak up!

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Um...don't get to excited...look up a couple of my last posts...

Contradicting to say the least...

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 9
www.who.int...

US, Washington: One New Probable Influenza A (H1N1) Case Under Investigation; School Closed After Close Contact Infected By Student4 minutes ago from web

Another "First Person story...
(per cornblossom)

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I hear ya'...I'm looking for "something" that sounds slightly like it may make sense,LOL!
ONe flippin' case in Iowa and they declare a "state of emergency..."

Rolling eyes here dramatically...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

FACTBOX: Measures in North, South America against flu
www.reuters.com...
Sat May 2, 2009 12:50pm EDT

(Reuters) - Governments across North and South America have taken measures to avert a pandemic as the new swine flu virus spreads from Mexico, where up to 176 people have died.
More at Link...

Public Urged Not to Let Guard Down in Flu Outbreak
www.foxnews.com...

CDC Laboratories Revealed as Incapable of Accurate Count of H1N1 Influenza Infections, Deaths
www.naturalnews.com...

Smithfield submits more samples to Mexican scientists
feedstuffs.com

2 H1N1 Cases Confirmed In Franklin County
www.nbc4i.com...

Just announced: Park City Schools closed through May 10th.less than a minute ago from web

Utah has first confirmed case of H1N1, located in Summit County. News conference right now.1 minute ago from web

2 Cases Of Swine Flu Confirmed In Juarez
www.kfoxtv.com...

MOFA issues yellow travel alert for South Korea over swine flu
www.etaiwannews.com...

Swine flu halts Ventura County jail visits
www.mercurynews.com...

FACTBOX: Country by country spread of flu outbreak
www.reuters.com...
Sat May 2, 2009 12:50pm EDT

Further 'probable' swine flu case
news.bbc.co.uk...

First swine flu transfer case in UK
www.irishtimes.com...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
DETERMINATION THAT A PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY EXISTS
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES

www.hhs.gov...

'Walking well' flood hospitals with -- or without -- flu symptoms
www.cnn.com...

Four new probable swine flu cases in Michigan

www.detnews.com...

The state health department has identified four more probable cases of swine flu in Michigan, bringing the total of people who may have contracted the illness to 20.

State officials said Saturday the cases are probably Influenza A (H1N1), but that tests by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have not been completed to know for sure.

Three of the new cases, commonly referred to as swine flu, were reported in Kent County and one in Muskegon County, according to a press release.

Advertisement

The previously reported probable cases were in Macomb County (two), Hillsdale County (one), Kent County ( three), and Ottawa County (10), according to the Michigan Department of Community Health.

In addition, two cases of swine flu have been confirmed, one each in Livingston and Ottawa counties, according to the state.
More at Link...

Feature: Canadians remain calm as new flu cases rise
news.xinhuanet.com...

Nebraska has 2 new probable cases of H1N1
www.journalstar.com...

What's Missing From Every Media Story about H1N1 Influenza
www.naturalnews.com...

WTF?!?

Flu-Stricken City Schools Prepare To Reopen
www.ny1.com...
Saturday, May 2, 2009 12:40 PM

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Swine flu: six-year-old girl and adult confirmed as latest UK cases
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Swine flu: Thousands of children could be forced to sit exams in quarantine
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Swine flu: supermarkets prepare for panic buying
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Swine flu: Companies buy flu drugs for 500,000 staff from private stockpile amid shortage fears
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Obama: US responding aggressively to flu outbreak
www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Moncton woman says she tested positive for influenza H1N1 this week, province says no confirmed cases Lori Walsh, 22, said she was told Tuesday by a doctor at the Dr. Georges-L.Dumont Regional Hospital that she has H1N1 influenza A, as the World Health Organization is now calling it.

However, as of yesterday, the provincial government said there are no confirmed cases of the illness in New Brunswick.

That has left Walsh furious and frustrated, saying she's been left with an aggressive illness that is being untreated, as she waits for test results to come back from the national laboratory in Winnipeg.timestranscript.canadaeast.com...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
At CDC, war against flu doesn't stop
www.cnn.com...

Mexico Swine Flu: Latest Numbers
www.foxnews.com...

LATEST CDC NUMBER 160
www.foxnews.com...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I think there is a lot more cases out there than we think. Why didn't they quarantine this woman instead of putting a city like Moncton at risk. I don't think they are being honest.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

May 2 (Bloomberg) -- The World Health Organization probably will go to phase 6 on its pandemic alert scale because of the outbreak of swine flu, said Michael Ryan, the WHO’s director of global alert and response.

Will someone PLEASE make up their mind???

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Mexico: First four cases of influenza A (H1N1) confirmed in Chihuahua State #swineflu #H1N18 minutes ago from web

US, Iowa: Governor Declares Public Health Emergency After CDC Confirms Case of Influenza A (H1N1) #swineflu #H1N111 minutes ago from web

Swine Flu tests Greenwich's Health Emergency Response
www.greenwichcitizen.com...

Swine Flu: A guide for parents
www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

I am getting so frustrated with this back and forth logic that is going on.

This is like a Katrina on a global scale. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing, they may as well be on different bodies. For a solitary day, I would love to see any health authority on this keep a single opinion.

I'm just going to live under the belief that we're at level 6 and await the time when its all over. That way I don't have to worry about them vacillating between two levels like madmen.

top topics

<< 72  73  74    76  77  78 >>

join